• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Xbox Cross Gen isn't even comparable (yet)

DryvBy

I keep seeing threads and Twitter burning up about "Sony lied and people died" hyperbole. Sony's comments were they believe in generations. Is that true? Let's find out.

There's currently three games coming out on PS4 and PS5. Sony has other games not making the cross gen list. Lots of them. They didn't pitch their platform as for two years minimum, there won't be a single first party next gen game. That's a very key part to the argument. But let's continue.

1) Horizon 2 - this is the only game in the three that is a shocker and disappointment. Of this entire argument, this is the one that I can agree with. It is running on the same engine as the first game which is disappointing as well.

2) Spider-Man Miles - this is DLC for a current gen game. This game is not a sequel it a brand new engine.

3) Sackboy - yep.

So those three games is why the internet is throwing a fit over? Spider-man First Light and Sackboy with the only legit complaint being Horizon? But then you have their other games not going cross gen. But you think that's the same as Xbox's plan?

Edit: to clarify their comments too, read past the headline:

"In many cases, we can’t take everybody with us from previous consoles into [a next generation experience],” Lempel tells Keighley. “You need new hardware, you need new devices to experience what these developers want you to experience.”

Last edited:
Depends on if it's scaled up or down. Scaling down is preferable for the users of the more powerful system, but scaling up is easier for the developer I guess.

I have a hard time believing they gonna hit anything like that fidelity in the trailer tho if it's going to be scaled up from PS4 :messenger_neutral:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
source.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People are quick to forget how badly games as recent as Grid and Control ran on the current base hardware compared to the pro versions.

Sure, they won't be as well optimised as first party titles like Horizon, but I expect significant downgrades and performance hits in stuff like Horizon 2 on PS4. PS5 owners won't be as disgruntled as they are now that PS4 owners are playing the same games when they're running like total dogshit.

The issue here is that Sony published that Horizon sneak peak as a PS5 showcase. They absolutely knew that everyone would think "next gen!" as it was presented that way. Then add their "we believe in generations" talk and you get an accute case of "PR assholes toying with the truth".
Sony had done pretty well so far, and then they basically pull a Spencer....

Last edited:

DryvBy

People are quick to forget how badly games as recent as Grid and Control ran on the current base hardware compared to the pro versions.

Sure, they won't be as well optimised as first party titles like Horizon, but I expect significant downgrades and performance hits in stuff like Horizon 2 on PS4. PS5 owners won't be as disgruntled as they are now that PS4 owners are playing the same games when they're running like total dogshit.

Aside from that, the argument is cross gen is a thing on both platforms but that's not the messenging. People can lock this thread when you see Ratchet and Clank and all other games coming out next year on PS4 and PS5. The Xbox goal is for 2 years to be on both. Its Xbox fanboys getting mad because they're stuck with Phil Spencer choices.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You are missing the point " as well as some games".

For how many months have fanboys talked about " _____ holding next gen back. sony isnt doing that!", these are TRUE next gen games! all those people who have been warring for months just got slapped hard.

but they also got a $400 ps5 so.. ;)

DryvBy

You are missing the point " as well as some games".

For how many months have fanboys talked about " _____ holding next gen back. sony isnt doing that!", these are TRUE next gen games! all those people who have been warring for months just got slapped hard.

but they also got a $400 ps5 so.. ;)

Sony isn't doing that for most of their games. The biggest complaint with Xbox (go back and read them) was Xbox was saying none of their stuff as next gen for 2 years. That was always the issue

JCK75

It's Forbidden West, not Horizon 2..
While it's likely it is an actual sequel I am a conspiracy theorist who believes the lack of numbered sequels is because they wanted huge games for launch so are pawning off expansions as full/new games.

HarryKS

It's pointless. You're not going to convince a silly person. In fact, it's practically impossible to convince people.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Aside from that, the argument is cross gen is a thing on both platforms but that's not the messenging. People can lock this thread when you see Ratchet and Clank and all other games coming out next year on PS4 and PS5. The Xbox goal is for 2 years to be on both. Its Xbox fanboys getting mad because they're stuck with Phil Spencer choices.

Of course it's a thing on both platforms, though. If fans on both sides wanted to believe the bullshit marketing talk, that's on them. Sony was always going to have some games on both their platforms, Microsoft was always going to have to delay some games to 2024 because they won't run on current hardware (Fable), or change their position further down the line. What happens there is yet to be seen.

It's Forbidden West, not Horizon 2..
While it's likely it is an actual sequel I am a conspiracy theorist who believes the lack of numbered sequels is because they wanted huge games for launch so are pawning off expansions as full/new games.

There's a roman numeral II in the logo. It's Horizon 2.

Last edited:
Sony isn't doing that for most of their games. The biggest complaint with Xbox (go back and read them) was Xbox was saying none of their stuff as next gen for 2 years. That was always the issue

Fanboys fanboying. There is this Sony Too movement that distorts everything it touches to make it look like it is identical to the Xbox scene. They have the nerve to latch onto Horizon II when the first year of the Playstation outright murders that of the Series X and S. But, hey, you gotta seek ammo where you can...

HideousCoarseIguana-size_restricted.gif

Lee Garner, Jr.: But everybody else’s tobacco is toasted.

Don: No, everybody else’s tobacco is poisonous. Lucky Strike’s is toasted.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I see lots of non-arguments to my point. Nice chat, fellas. I even posted an article with their explanation. Guess some people can't read thanks to Derrick Zoolander.

NickFire

Before we assume Sony's cross gen plans are any different from MS, Sony needs to show and definitely label games as next gen only. They don't deserve any benefit of the doubt at the moment. That said, I'm still PS5 all the way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Before we assume Sony's cross gen plans are any different from MS, Sony needs to show and definitely label games as next gen only. They don't deserve any benefit of the doubt at the moment. That said, I'm still PS5 all the way.

R&C and DeS are still PS5 only as far as we know.

JCK75

It is Horizon II. It's a full sequel. Look carefully at the logo.

Just doesn't feel like enough time has gone into making a whole new game, we'll see when it comes out if it deserves sequel status, I'm still skeptical that it's not going to be using much of the same assets.

Top Bottom