• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony wants to add your friends as spectators in sports or other versus games with this patent

Shin

Banned
Sony Interactive Entertainment has filed yet another patent on VR technology, this time focusing on increasing the player’s immersion by swapping out generic spectators in games like sports games or driving games, into friend avatars.
This one was filed last year, and was published this month.

In this patent, Sony argues that while having an audience has always been the way to increase the immersion of a game, the technology surrounding this aspect has not been advanced for some time.
Rather than use generic, low-poly models, Sony suggests a system where some of these spectators are swapped out for friend avatars.

The feature would be applicable to things like racing, sports, combat sports, and more. Apart from increasing immersion, this would also enhance the social connectivity element of the games.

spectator2_thumb.png
spectator3_thumb.png

Credit: Siliconera

Personal note:
Hopefully they'll look better than the 2D trees and the VR push/patents isn't strange since it's rumored to be build in PS5.

Alx

Using avatars to do that is hardly new, games have been doing it with Miis or Xbox avatars since the beginning. Now if it was integrating a live feed of other people, now that would be new.

Handy Fake

Using avatars to do that is hardly new, games have been doing it with Miis or Xbox avatars since the beginning. Now if it was integrating a live feed of other people, now that would be new.
The difference here (although you need to read the patent fully - I'd just assumed this was the case as it's not specified in the OP) is that when the spectator is swapped out for a viewer's avatar, the person viewing the race is watching from the viewpoint of that avatar. Pretty neat. Would be rather impressive for, say large Youtubers, to be streaming and having hundreds of in-game spectators all watching from their various viewpoints within the game.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This has been done for years though in pc gaming...? So how is this new? I remember things for quake 2 even, where you had server limits for players but people could watch without play and could even comment.

Edit: just to clarify I’m not on about spectator mode while waiting to join.

Last edited:

Alx

Sounds nice, but not sure if it should even be patented.

Seems to happen a lot with Sony, a quick search on "Sony patents ..." on the forum gives many results of "yes it's cool but we've seen it already".
I think it's a common trait of Japanese companies in general, which consider the amount of patents as a major measurement stick of their value. That leads to pushing as many as you can, even when the innovative part isn't obvious.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Seems to happen a lot with Sony, a quick search on "Sony patents ..." on the forum gives many results of "yes it's cool but we've seen it already".
I think it's a common trait of Japanese companies in general, which consider the amount of patents as a major measurement stick of their value. That leads to pushing as many as you can, even when the innovative part isn't obvious.
I suppose it's also a pre-emptive move in case someone else comes up with it and tries to patent it themselves. It probably happens all the time.

Solarstrike

Only $4.99 a month. Pre-order now to get the The Wave emote and the giant floating penis, Free

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
sounds awesome but to be honest... Sony is not the same now and i doubt that can be truth in a short time.

I prefer that keep the servers in online like Microsoft and Activision for a long time.

And focus to treat the costumes like they deserve it.

LostDonkey

What I really want them to do and it would be so fucking cool with VR is in say a FIFA tournament you could sit in the stands of the actual stadium and watch the game.

The possibilities for things like that are incredible and I honestly cant believe we dont have it yet.

Alx

What I really want them to do and it would be so fucking cool with VR is in say a FIFA tournament you could sit in the stands of the actual stadium and watch the game.

The possibilities for things like that are incredible and I honestly cant believe we dont have it yet.

It's been done on several occasions. I don't know how common it is, but there were matches of the Champion's League broadcast in VR.

I'm not sure there's a large scale appeal though. The feeling of immersion may be great, but I suppose most people would prefer having the better view on screen and the ability to gather around with their friends and have their beer/pizzas/… without being stuck in a headset.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

It's been done on several occasions. I don't know how common it is, but there were matches of the Champion's League broadcast in VR.

I'm not sure there's a large scale appeal though. The feeling of immersion may be great, but I suppose most people would prefer having the better view on screen and the ability to gather around with their friends and have their beer/pizzas/… without being stuck in a headset.

I meant gaming tournaments.

Tehvenom

That's exactly what I was thinking, it would be more immersive with another friend doing a very out of place dance,gesture. I would welcome a friend doing the wave as I'm shooting a 3 pointer at a basketball game.

Tehvenom

It's a start but with anything new at the disposal of us folks, were going to see some pros and cons considering that we misbehave here and there lol.

bitbydeath

This has been done for years though in pc gaming...? So how is this new? I remember things for quake 2 even, where you had server limits for players but people could watch without play and could even comment.

Edit: just to clarify I’m not on about spectator mode while waiting to join.

This is different and is about allowing you to have a physical presence within the game as well as letting you watch.

That's cool, but make it interactive, meaning you can actually SPECTATE - watch the race/game, walk around, go to the toilet, buy a hotdog, talk to chicks in short shorts...

Foxbat

Banned
That's cool, but make it interactive, meaning you can actually SPECTATE - watch the race/game, walk around, go to the toilet, buy a hotdog, talk to chicks in short shorts...

While I agree, it could lead to some interesting problems.

Such as....

The toilet in the game isn't located accurately compared to your house, and you find yourself pissing on your washer.

My wife finding me talking to chicks in short shorts, only to her it looks like I'm flirting with the kitchen counter top.

While I agree, it could lead to some interesting problems.

Such as....

The toilet in the game isn't located accurately compared to your house, and you find yourself pissing on your washer.

My wife finding me talking to chicks in short shorts, only to her it looks like I'm flirting with the kitchen counter top.
Lol. I didn't realise it was for PSVR 🤣

Top Bottom