• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Warns Tight PlayStation 5 Supply to Extend Into Next Year

N30RYU

jeans-out-of-dryer-tuco-tight-tight-tight-breaking-bad.gif

Weird times!
was waiting to find this in the thread

Thanks

Rudius

Well, I guess I am glad I got one when I could. Don't think I could have spent another year with the jet engine ps4 pro
Same thing for me. I played the exclusives Demon's Souls and Astro's, but I'm mostly glad that I can play all my games with no noise.

Haggard

Banned
well, Demon`s Souls and Returnal...is there anything else that`s worth playing and actually needs a PS5?
If there is still a shortage when Horizon and GoW are both released, then I will start to get annoyed.

Everything else is best on pc anyways ;)

Last edited:
I thought making Horizon cross gen was a stupid idea but maybe Sony was right.

Edit and yeah I'm finishing up my PS4 backlog so whatever. Waiting for PS5PRO.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

To make it even cheaper. That was the main reason for Sony to release slim consoles in the past. Cut features, make everything cheaper in the build and sell it for less.
They won't sell it for less if the demand is still the same, it'll just mean they save money making them.

kyussman

I wonder how far a PS5 Pro will be off when the PS5 actually becomes readily available....it's gonna be a hard decision to make which consoles to even get this gen,I can't afford all versions.

Kerotan

Eh, its not like there is any must play game on PS5 anyway.
If you're going to get it eventually you are so much better off getting it now. So much better playing ps4 games on it then the ps4.

Anyway I'm glad to hear demand is high still. I'm going to buy another Ps5 later this year then sell my current one probably at Christmas when prices are high. Easy way to get a brand new console and renew the warranty without any extra cost.

To make it even cheaper. That was the main reason for Sony to release slim consoles in the past. Cut features, make everything cheaper in the build and sell it for less.

Did they cut features from the PS4? I'm only aware of them doing it with the PS3 (cutting out PS2 hardware for example).

Umbasaborne

Banned
If anything this means this console cycle will go from an 8 year one to a ten year one, and expect cross gen to stick around until 2023 at least

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Whatever. I think it's more likely I'll just get a new PC at this point. Honestly, retailers should be just taking pre-orders and ship them out once they have the stock to do so.
The problem with preorders is that people will get several then cancel, that creates an overhead expense. Additionally there will be so much demand that it only makes sense to pre sell known allotments. Amazon was/is doing that with CPUs and GPUs selling things they could ship in a month. Walmart sold me my PS5 in early December for delivery after Xmas and those still sold out in seconds.

Sony sold maybe 9 million so far. That is likely 1/3 -1/2 of current demand and they only seem to be able to deliver a little over a million per month. Preorders just shift the failures out longer for those that can't get one.

Whatever. I think it's more likely I'll just get a new PC at this point. Honestly, retailers should be just taking pre-orders and ship them out once they have the stock to do so.
Ha, good luck with that. You’ll either be waiting months for the graphics card that you want to be at a good price or you can get one now and be robbed blind.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've read in places that the shortage may also have to do with the design of the console and the overall materials (plastic etc) in use being scarce.

This is all from Twitter and other forums so I don't think it's credible at all.

It's not a PS5 thing it's a general raw materials, factories and corona thingy in all electronics industries. My company (~7000 employees) sent an email to us months ago warning there will be a challenge going well into 2022 just getting proper computers our engineers. The 3080 GPU I ordered in September 2020 will at the earliest be shipped to me by June..

Last edited:

MayauMiao

If you're going to get it eventually you are so much better off getting it now. So much better playing ps4 games on it then the ps4.

Anyway I'm glad to hear demand is high still. I'm going to buy another Ps5 later this year then sell my current one probably at Christmas when prices are high. Easy way to get a brand new console and renew the warranty without any extra cost.

I'm not getting a PS5 for the sake of playing PS4 games. If I eventually get it, it will probably be 2-3 years from now when the hardware matures a bit with a healthy amount of great games and perhaps slightly lower price.

Besides, its not like PS5 will cease to exist if I wait a little longer.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Glad I got lucky and secured it through the Amazon drop weeks ago 3am in the morning. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Can't imagine playing my pS4 now, the boot times getting in and out of Returnal in seconds. Can't go back now. 1st party delivering on that end at least. Only thing I hate is the fact that there's no activity feed. Really miss seeing what my friends were doing game wise/trophies. Made things feels like a living community. Now it feels like a ghost town/closed environment/very claustrophobic. The explore tab is trash too.

SilentUser

I'm very happy to have one since november. Fantastic machine in every sense! Too bad for those who weren't able to buy one, it seems it won't be easy to find one for a while :/

T-Cake

Spooky. Only last night, I thought "eff this PS5 lark" and proceeded to queue up all my PS4 games that I'd put off (to play on said PS5) to download overnight. I will now play them on my PS4 Pro instead. There's probably enough gaming there to last until Christmas. I plugged in a Samsung USB SSD so my load times for the PS4 titles will probably come very close to playing them on the PS5 but there might be the odd hiccup in frame rates. It's not as if the PS5 will vastly improve 2013-2018 titles in the same way as Xbox does. So I'm happy enough to keep waiting... and waiting... and waiting... :p

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
It will only get worse once more next gen games get announced this summer, and then big hitters like Horizon, God of War, GT7, start coming out one after the other until the end of 22'.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have a next gen console and I still think this whole new gen should have been pushed at least a year...

From what perspective? Sony and MS can't keep them in stock longer than a couple of seconds. Gamer demand is off the charts.

Why delay something that's so successful for them and their audience?

Derktron

Banned
And this is where laws need to be in place for scapers to get the hammer on, or at least the stores come up with ways to make it harder for scapers and morns to stop buying one or more devices. This is the fault of the stores for not giving a fuck about anything and only want to see their own profits gain. Fuck you scapers and fuck you to anyone who ever bought more than one system. I hate my Series S but I'm glad I was able to have one because right now it's the rarest thing ever I have right now and to anyone who even got a next-gen system count your blessings.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It is a must to have device with record shipment. There is not so much to do when demand is that high.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Daftest hardware launches ever, what exactly is worth the cost of a console on either system? Should have both been delayed until at least Winter 2021.
If they knew about the pandemic and shortages before hand you would get a better console on this supposed Winter 2021 launch date. Otherwise you are delaying them by a year and just getting HW closer to being obsolete… the manufacturing machine was already in motion when the semiconductor/parts shortages began. Stopping it and changing the HW at that point would have enabled very minor changes.

Also, they are selling al they can make and still aligned enough with how the previous console launches did: PS5 is exceeding PS4 launch window sales and it is still outpacing it worldwide launch aligned. Why is it a crisis for PS5 and it was business as usual for PS4? I do get how high the demand is for PS5 and why Sony is trying to address it ASAP and in a sustainable way.

Aion002

Before the launch of Returnal I was hungry after one.... Now that I couldn't get one with the game and a friend of mine had to send two Ps5 controllers to Sony for repairs... I am kinda like..

the big lebowski whatever GIF by The Good Films

I can wait for the Slim version.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I'm not getting a PS5 for the sake of playing PS4 games. If I eventually get it, it will probably be 2-3 years from now when the hardware matures a bit with a healthy amount of great games and perhaps slightly lower price.

Besides, its not like PS5 will cease to exist if I wait a little longer.
The point is in 2 years you could pay the same price as today.

I could have happily waited until holiday 21 to get a Ps5 if the gen was to begin then. But it didn't so I'd be crazy to to get it at launch and play my big ps4 back catalogue on it. Such a better experience.

Ratchet next month my first proper Ps5 game. I've played astros obviously. Control atm with the ps5 patch but it was built for ps4.

Papacheeks

Banned
Feel bad for people, but look at the bright side by the time you get one the batch your getting will have a lot of the bugs worked out.

Hopefully these new foundries that were being built will be able to start producing later this summer. Also Intel has been open to helping fabricate as well for other companies.

After Finishing Returnal Yesterday and now replaying it, I am super excited for Ratchet. Returnal needs to be played with a good audio system, or good pair of 3D audio headphones.

People down playing PS5 with the whole " game is on PS4" have no fucking clue or a setup that really shows off what PS5 can do. Dual sense alone in returnal is pretty amazing. I have no doubt we will see great use of it for Ratchet and Horizon.

Last edited:

saintjules

My decision to skip the base model and go straight to pro/slim seems to be a better decision by the day.

While we see they appear over the last generations, what if they didn't decide to do slim models? Waiting for something that may not come would be funny no?

killatopak

Gold Member
While we see they appear over the last generations, what if they didn't decide to do slim models? Waiting for something that may not come would be funny no?
I’m willing to wait until 2023. Three years after release and the same timeframe PS4 Slim came out.

Enjay

Banned
Wow some actual honesty on between all the headlines about how they're still supposedly making record amounts of money.
My decision to skip the base model and go straight to pro/slim seems to be a better decision by the day.
Right. Like they're not gonna misread the demand for those either.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I think due to supplies issues it would lead to more delays and cross gen games. Why would a developer want to release to a console exclusively where their customers can't even get hold of the console to play their games. I bet Gran Turismo 7, God of War etc all delayed to next year. I also think lots of games will be cross gen like Last of Us Factions game, God of War Ragnarok and etc.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

If this headline is true, then it should be easier to get a PS5 sooner than many think.

StockX PS5 price averages were $800+ dollars back during the holidays. Now the average price is $573 dollars. Demand has dropped pretty significantly over the last few months.

August/Sept might be a good time to try to nab one before holiday demand ratchets up again.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So much demand, damn its crazy.

Its a good thing Sony have some PS5 only games. Best launch line up in years for a console. And it isnt over yet.

Its funny that ppl are posting about cross gen will be longer, delays due to sales....

....but the PS5 is still outpacing the PS4 in sales....

Even with shortages....if PS5 sales continue to be strong and dont start lagging behind PS4....why would they make cross gen games last any longer?

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Wow some actual honesty on between all the headlines about how they're still supposedly making record amounts of money.

Right. Like they're not gonna misread the demand for those either.
The whole world misread the demand for anything.

Covid.

Woopah

I think god of war 2 will be cross gen, but will see if sony hold a play event or something for e3 next month cause at the min i cant see horizon, gow etc releasing this year when we havnt seen any gameplay etc and games which should have been out first quater 2021 pushed to latter 2021
I'm assuming they'll hold something in Summer. They'll want to push Horizon 2, Deathloop and Ghostwire as their key exclusives for the rest of the year.

NahaNago

Maybe, but it sounds more like “free market == good until the other side is a threat/bigger and stronger” fears. So we like free market rules if they are a threat to others and not us.
The problem is they don't play by the same rules as everyone else internationally and locally the rules don't even exist.

The point is in 2 years you could pay the same price as today.

I could have happily waited until holiday 21 to get a Ps5 if the gen was to begin then. But it didn't so I'd be crazy to to get it at launch and play my big ps4 back catalogue on it. Such a better experience.

Ratchet next month my first proper Ps5 game. I've played astros obviously. Control atm with the ps5 patch but it was built for ps4.

It's entirely likely that in 2 years there is a new PS5 model.

Personally I'm just playing weebshit and games like Persona 5 strikers or Nier on PS5 seems like overkill.

OrionNebula

From what perspective? Sony and MS can't keep them in stock longer than a couple of seconds. Gamer demand is off the charts.

Why delay something that's so successful for them and their audience?
Gamer’s perspective. My own, as my post mentioned

I still think, when I see games like TLOU2, GoT and Gears 5 that last gen still had gas left in the tank.
From Cyberpunk 2077 being a bloody mess at launch, new gen drought season Jan-May 2021, to all the 2021 titles being shoved into 2022, to struggle to find new gen hardware (no change in sight, too), ain’t nobody gonna make me believe launch holiday 2021 would not have been better at this point, for gamers

I have a PS5 and 90%+ of what I played since Nov 2020 are last gen games. Doubt I’m the only one, too. I don’t regret buying my PS5, but I sure as heck ain’t using it mostly for new gen experiences, not by a longshot

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I feel like I gotta get some good karma soon. I managed to secure two for launch. One as a back up if something went wrong. As soon as it was confirmed both were arriving I sold one to the plasterer who has looked after my house since I bought it. His sons bday is near Xmas and I offered it to them for retail price so they could surprise him. What a xmas/bday present for the young man!

...one day I will be rewarded in good karmic energy 🤣🤣

Top Bottom