• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We’re committed to big, spectacular experiences with story and characters at the core

psygn0sis

I don't see how you can say this is a bad thing.

In an industry that is almost entirely moving away from story-driven singleplayer experiences to always online live service games with little to no story focus, it's great that Sony is still investing in strong SP experiences and proving that these games can still be successful. Weren't people pissed off at EA for saying that their customers no longer want SP games and so they will just be making MP focused games?

I think on Sony's part it is a great business move as well. They are capitalising on the part of the market that 3rd parties are entirely abandoning. The open world/play with friends gameplay loop experiences will be provided in droves by 3rd parties, but Sony can also bring in the crowd that still want to just sit down and enjoy a good narrative driven SP game. The fact that in this day and age we are getting an incredible looking SP game like Ghosts of Tsushima from Sony rather than yet another microtransaction laden online shooter is what makes me support the Playstation brand.

Oh come on, nowadays we have lots of SP games from first and third parties but, reading on forums and social media, players describe an alternate world where we have 90% online games/GaaS and 10% single player games.
This year we've had RE2, Sekiro, DMCV, Death Stranding, Star Wars The Fallen Order, Kingdom Hearts 3 and many more; next year CP2077, P5 Royal, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2....
Saying that SP Games are dying and that stupid line "Third parties already cover that" are beyond clown world.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Oh come on, nowadays we have lots of SP games from first and third parties but, reading on forums and social media, players describe an alternate world where we have 90% online games/GaaS and 10% single player games.
This year we've had RE2, Sekiro, DMCV, Death Stranding, Star Wars The Fallen Order, Kingdom Hearts 3 and many more; next year CP2077, P5 Royal, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2....

Single player yes, well written story-driven games no.

Tomeru

This is why Sony is slowly losing me.

Same. I definitely pick and choose which Sony games I'm getting as opposed to being a full-blown fan of the Sony lineup. Sony makes a great mass-market console that will receive numerous third-party titles, which is why I'm a fan of the Playstation brand. Their narrative-driven games are pushing the industry in a bad direction, IMO. More voice acting, more mo-cap, more scripting, more Hollywood-styled cutscenes, more Sony cameras doing Sony things on Sony OLEDs with Sony VR goggles, etc

Yeah, they should really add some gameplay somewhere 🤔

As usual with these threads, the usual suspect read what they want to read, and reiterate the same opinion.
Big single player games with story and characters doesn't mean no focus on gameplay or exploration etc, but i guess we need that to be mentioned and fed to the reader so the concerned parties are relieved.
But sure thing keep on posting the same tired argumant over and over again, i'll keep on enjoying these games that appeal to my tastes.
Bonus: Always Keep this picture handy it's the ultimate proof of samey-ness!
jmpZip6.jpg

ANIMAL1975

As usual with these threads, the usual suspect read what they want to read, and reiterate the same opinion.
Big single player games with story and characters doesn't mean no focus on gameplay or exploration etc, but i guess we need that to be mentioned and fed to the reader so the concerned parties are relieved.
But sure thing keep on posting the same tired argumant over and over again, i'll keep on enjoying these games that appeal to my tastes.
Bonus: Always Keep this picture handy it's the ultimate proof of samey-ness!
jmpZip6.jpg
Exactly, if you actually read the interview, it is clearly said that they will continue making those games, not that they will become the only or main focus of WWS!
This is before the OPs quote:
[We've always worked in a world where changes happened fast -- technically, but also creatively. This may very well be the golden age of gaming. There has never been this diversity of experiences -- from massive AAA online games that explore future worlds, to deeply personal Indie projects that explore the human condition. As PlayStation, we need to provide a platform that includes all those different voices, all those different experiences]

Mista

Banned
So while there are people who do not like SONY for following that route, it IS profitable for them and millions of players love their output. I´m happy for them.
You don’t like them it’s up to you and you don’t have to play their games? My PlayStation is for the exclusives only anyway so I don’t understand what you’re trying to say here

DanielsM

Banned
More 3rd person walkie talkies confirmed

Okay I'll bite. People keep saying the same thing but when I inquire further they usually go silent.

Some lets kind of run down the types of games Sony makes with genre:

3rd person shooters - Uncharted, The Last of Us, and Days Gone series plus The Order (many of these are horror games as well)
3rd person rpgs or similar - God of War series
3rd person action adventure - Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous series, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush series, Death Stranding
1st person shooters - Killzone series
3rd person kid type games - Knack series, Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet series, Racket and Clank series
Creation type games - LittleBigPlanet, Dreams, Concrete Genie
Sports - MLB The Show series, Everybody's Golf
Racing - Grand Turismo series, Drive Club
VR games - too many to mention
Indie games - too many to mention

This doesn't even getting into the exclusive games they publish for the PS platform with 3rd parties like Bloodborne, Detroit, Until Dawn, etc. Actually, not sure there is many walkie talkie 3rd person games in the list. Last cycle Sony apparently made too many 1st person games, but they soon realized that genre is kind of dead other than the Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. crowd... they are right, generally speaking - although I expect another Killzone or similar.

So.... exactly what type of games do you want and what other game types is there?

As far as game types not sure any developer or large publisher has even a fraction of the range.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Okay I'll bite. People keep saying the same thing but when inquire further they usually go silent.

Some lets kind of run down the types of games Sony makes with genre:

3rd person shooters - Uncharted, The Last of Us, and Days Gone series plus The Order (many of these are horror games as well)
3rd person rpgs or similar - God of War series
3rd person action adventure - Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous series, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush series, Death Stranding
1st person shooters - Killzone series
3rd person kid type games - Knack series, Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet series, Racket and Clank series
Creation type games - LittleBigPlanet, Dreams, Concrete Genie
Sports - MLB The Show series, Everybody's Golf
Racing - Grand Turismo series, Drive Club
VR games - too many to mention
Indie games - too many to mention

This doesn't even getting into the exclusive games they publish for the PS platform with 3rd parties like Bloodborne, Detroit, Until Dawn, etc. Actually, not sure there is many walkie talkie 3rd person games in the list.

So.... exactly what type of games do you want and what other game types is there?

As far as game types not sure any developer or large publisher has even a fraction of the range.

That's a lot of third person :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
That's a lot of third person :messenger_grinning:

Question still stands, what else is there? You're not engaging in honest discussion.

What other type of games is there? Name a publisher/developer making or producing games with that kind of range?

I mean they could do Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 35, Call of Duty: Space Warfare 22, Call of Duty: Medieval 11, etc.

I'm not saying you have to like them but they do have a huge amount of games and huge range of games.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Which is weird actually. You are complaining about anything BUT gameplay, which is, well, weird imo. Why does it bother you if you are fine with gameplay (or are you? In which case why not complain about that)?
Because narrative can often elbow out gameplay i.e. if you're watching a cutscene or engaging with a QTE, you're probably not engaged with the full suite of mechanics on offer.

I've also bounced off the modern open-world genre pretty hard when I realized it's just a technically-competent version of what they were already doing in the 360/PS3 gen. That isn't Sony's fault per se but a lot of their games fall into that category (inFamous, Spider Man, Days Gone, etc). Two of Sony's narrative-driven games that I loved from this gen are The Last Guardian and Bloodborne.

I still buy tons of games for my PS4 including a lot of exclusives (from third parties), and that's why I love Playstation. I can mostly/completely ignore their first-party lineup and still find a full library of games that I enjoy. I can't say the same for the Nintendo nor the Xbox brand, if we're comparing.

Area61

That is great but honestly, the got carried away with it too much. I love SP games but I also love arcade style grab and play games and co-op to play with friends too. Gamers need a balanced taste of both single and multiplayer experience which was really lacking in Sony's part. That's why switch sells like a hotcake. Not because of its heritage but most of their games can be played with friends and family. Hopefully, there will be more racing/arcade/co-op/MMORPG games from next-gen.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why the fuck are some people so obsessed with whether a Sony game is third person or not? Do you think Microsoft do it better? Let's see...

Big Xbox One third person games:
Crackdown
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Quantum Break
ReCore
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
State of Decay

Big Xbox One first person games:
Halo
Sea of Thieves

Am I missing something? What's the argument again?

Nero_PR

Banned
So less games like Gravity Rush and more games like TLoU?

Ok then. Thank God for the third parties.
Fewer games like Gravity Rush, Medievil, Dreams, Killzone third person and more cinematic... (kidding on the last one). RIP MotorStorm. I always liked Sony's first-party games because of its variety. Now, if they just focus on cinematic experiences it will be a sad day for gaming in general. I like games like Death Stranding, TLoU, Uncharted, but for the love of God, I love some wacky adventure and cartoony silly games too.

Psykodad

Banned
Why the fuck are some people so obsessed with whether a Sony game is third person or not? Do you think Microsoft do it better? Let's see...

Crackdown
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Quantum Break
ReCore
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
State of Decay

Halo
Sea of Thieves

Concern trolling.

dilbag

I hope they keep it up with single player games.... as I get older single player or co op is how i enjoy gaming.

I even hope M/S gets out some better games next gen... they dropped they ball hard this gen.

GHG

Gold Member

Crackdown
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Quantum Break
ReCore
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
State of Decay

Halo
Sea of Thieves

Can't you see? It's obvious is it not? All those games have crème de la crème genre defining gameplay that has led to industry wide acclaim. Whereas the 3rd person games from Sony... Oh wait...

Last edited:
but the choice for having no cuts on the camera wasn't great. The endless walking and elevator segments are atrocious, there are literal arrows around your characters because you can't see shit that isn't immediately on your face
I think that they made the right decision in therms of method to hide loading screens... However I agree that the field of view should probably be quite a bit wider.

As for the bosses, other than them repeating mini bosses through out the game (I think that it has 3 actual legit bosses), and the final boss being a push over... I loved how it handled, the setting and the story (I still like gow 1 to 3 a bit more).

DanielsM

Banned
So more boring scripted cinematic games like Uncharted and the Last of Us? Got it.

Kind of agree but mostly disagree with your overall context.

I actually thought Uncharted 4 was boring for my taste, but its because of the paint by numbers approach to some of the game-play elements i.e. platforming and stealth. Now, The Las of Us to me isn't boring, I would say because it makes the stealth actually interesting i.e. Clickers (horror). Its more survival as well, which to me is much better approach.

Although UC and TLOU have scripted events most of the game play parts are not scripted, although there is cinematics I wouldn't say they are overly so.... I mean The Last of US only has 93 minutes of cinematics and certainly is only a tiny fraction of the game.

I do wonder if you have played them. I mean "boring" is a subjective term so I have no issues there, but saying "scripted cinematics" to me is just plain factually wrong in this context. Are there scripted events, yes, are there cinematics, yes, but to me not in the context of what I think your post is trying to say.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Good. Keep doing what you excel at and keep pushing the envelope.

The naysayers and haters will never be happy, don't try and please them, they are in the minority anyway.
I am actually curious what envelope Sony is pushing? The only thing they seem to be pioneering is how to milk a formula and push SJW propaganda.

The last games to "Push the Envelope" where Demon Souls and Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 3 and 4? Just Uncharted 2 but kinda worse.

Last of Us? Uncharted with less climby climby, more zombies and a story that ripped off The Road.

Last of Us 2? SJW Last of Us

God of War? Uncharted and last of us with melee-centric combat.

Bloodborne? Cthulu Demon Souls

Horizon Zero Dawn? Zelda does it better.

Dreams? Didn't microsoft do something similar last gen? Also, why not just develop your game on Unity or UE4? I guess people who want to work harder to develop something and probably not get paid for it will enjoy this one!

Days Gone? Open world Last of Us with a motorcycle.

Spiderman? Feel like I have played this game before somewhere...

Killzone? Forgotten and half assed Halo/Call of Duty amalgamation with almost zero imagination put in.

I am not trying to say these are bad games by the way. Most are good to great games, but to claim Sony are pushing the envelope on anything is just fanboy nonsense. If Sony was pushing the envelope they would be proactive in ALL Genres, and would have a chart topping First Person Shooter, a deep WRPG, some interesting Multiplayer titles (possibly a really polished BR), a fighting game, an MMORPG, and/or a deep RTS game.

I think that they made the right decision in therms of method to hide loading screens... However I agree that the field of view should probably be quite a bit wider.

As for the bosses, other than them repeating mini bosses through out the game (I think that it has 3 actual legit bosses), and the final boss being a push over... I loved how it handled, the setting and the story (I still like gow 1 to 3 a bit more).

It's a fantastic game, the combat somehow works despite the camera and while you do walk around quite a bit, the art direction is so godlike that it never becomes a problem. I think that most of its shortcomings can be traced back to the camera, even the lack of proper bosses. It's what keeps GOW from being GOTG contender IMO and it's only frustrating because everything else is so on point. I wonder if they ever came close to just giving up on the camera idea.

The naysayers are like a fart in the wind.

This is exactly why Sony is successful why people love PlayStation.
Those naysayers are basically gamings equivalent of boomers, who rather stay nostalgic and have their games underperform compared to the games that get with the times..

Would definitely be a win for the industry if games would be comparable to Shenmue III.

Didn't know the industry was small enough to only support one type of game xD

nowhat

I wonder if they ever came close to just giving up on the camera idea.
If various interviews are to be believed, there was a lot of resistance along the way. But Cory insisted having a no-cut camera and ultimately he was able to convince the rest of the team that it's feasible/worth implementing. Personally I think it's both cool and a gimmick.

Paltheos

And the thrilling immersion that only comes from behind the player character in the third person, only slightly above the shoulder.

The beautiful thing about this comment is that it appeals to everyone. Love or hate Sony's methodology - The comment's snarky without overtly hating on it. Good 2nd post, sir.

sublimit

Banned
I'm sorry Sony but i want to see more games like Bloodborne,Demon's Souls,Siren,Ico,Shadow of the Colossus,The Last Guardian,Gravity Rush,Rain,Journey than heavily story/cutscene based games like Last of Us,God of War,Detroit,Horizon etc.

Single player yes, well written story-driven games no.

In what world is RE2 not considered a well-written story driven game? The storyline for the classic RE games outclasses pretty much anything I've seen from Sony's efforts in terms of just being outright interesting and fun. I don't even care if the VAing in the earlier games was botched; that added a B-movie charm to them that's fun in its own way.

Exactly, if you actually read the interview, it is clearly said that they will continue making those games, not that they will become the only or main focus of WWS!
This is before the OPs quote:
[We've always worked in a world where changes happened fast -- technically, but also creatively. This may very well be the golden age of gaming. There has never been this diversity of experiences -- from massive AAA online games that explore future worlds, to deeply personal Indie projects that explore the human condition. As PlayStation, we need to provide a platform that includes all those different voices, all those different experiences]

...they are the main focus of WWS tho; Sony can say what they want but these are their marquee games, hands-down, and the ones they will dedicate the most manpower and money towards. These are the games they're using as their big system-sellers, not Dreams.

Speaking of Dreams, I can't believe how slow that game has been coming around. It was genuinely one of the biggest reasons I was looking forward to PS4 when they had it in the reveal trailer, and now it's finally coming out only...seven years later :S

Needless to say my interest in it's practically died off, but I can guarantee you if Sony prioritized a game like that more urgently, it wouldn't have taken seven years for it to be released. They'd NEVER let that kind of thing happen with TLOU, GOW or Uncharted, and that should tell you right there what games they are pushing as their main focus.

They've also said in the past they'll be focusing on a smaller selection of bigger-budget games, so I have to ask you which of the two types of games we are going to see with that focus: the Last of Us', or the Dreams'? My money's 100% on the former.

Again, I don't dislike these games at any real level, they're just not my preference. And admittedly some of that is down to my own schedule and lack of time for these kind of games. But Sony isn't fooling anyone, we know where they are shifting their software focus and have been for a while now. I simply wish they were completely upfront about it rather than making merry with pleasantries to give the illusion they aren't pursuing big-budget cinematic AAA story-driven games as their foundation going into the next decade (and likely building off things like Death Stranding as far as real-life celebrity cameos, too).

DanielsM

Banned
I'm sorry Sony but i want to see more games like Bloodborne,Demon's Souls,Siren,Ico,Shadow of the Colossus,The Last Guardian,Gravity Rush,Rain,Journey than heavily story/cutscene based games like Last of Us,God of War,Detroit,Horizon etc.

Than everyone would say they are producing the same games with no cut-scenes LOL. As I mentioned previously, The Last of Us only has 93 minutes of cut-scenes, its not like its a Metal Gear Solid game. Even Uncharted 4 is sub 3 hours but we're talking 14-20 hour games. Detroit is basically an interactive movie i.e. its not going to be your cup of tea. Horizon doesn't have many cut-scenes that I remember, they have dialogue trees, not my favorite for sure.... but they're not really cut-scenes per se. Also, of interest... the ones you listed actually sold very well.

Last edited:
Their committed to taking your money. Last gen it was everyone whining for independent games supporting smaller studios. Everyone was lying so now it's big budget! We'll return when we need too.

DanielsM

Banned
I am not trying to say these are bad games by the way. Most are good to great games, but to claim Sony are pushing the envelope on anything is just fanboy nonsense. If Sony was pushing the envelope they would be proactive in ALL Genres, and would have a chart topping First Person Shooter, a deep WRPG, some interesting Multiplayer titles (possibly a really polished BR), a fighting game, an MMORPG, and/or a deep RTS game.

They are pushing the envelope as far as quality, quantity and different game types for sure, name a dev/publisher that has larger range or even close? I can't think of any. That doesn't mean you have to like these games.... not all of them are my cup of tea - which is kind of the point, but the types of genres not represented are more represented by third parties, imo.

But beside that.... if people are saying all of the games are the same... I'm really confused... how in the fuck is Spider-Man remotely similar to Days Gone (not directed at you) other than they're both open world or Bloodborne or GT Sports or Dreams? They have a good range of different genres, imo, that doesn't mean I like them all.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I'm honestly impressed how some of you, regardless of any thread topic, somehow manage to turn things into a console fanboy pissing match.

Tomeru

Because narrative can often elbow out gameplay i.e. if you're watching a cutscene or engaging with a QTE, you're probably not engaged with the full suite of mechanics on offer.

I read this point often. What does it mean? How are cutscenes stand in the way of gameplay? There are lots of cutscenes, but there is much much much more gameplay in these games.

How many of those cutscenes can you turn into epic gameplay moments really? Most cutscenes are for exposition only anyway. Please explain.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I read this point often. What does it mean? How are cutscenes stand in the way of gameplay? There are lots of cutscenes, but there is much much much more gameplay in these games.

How many of those cutscenes can you turn into epic gameplay moments really? Most cutscenes are for exposition only anyway. Please explain.
I've already explained my tastes. I don't know what else you want me to explain, and it's especially odd when I've clarified that Sony's first party games aren't really the reason why I continue to buy their brand.

Are you under the impression that everyone likes cutscenes, that everyone enjoys narrative-driven singleplayer experiences, that everyone enjoys third-person action games? Do you believe that more voice-acting, more mo-cap, more Hollywood direction is good for gaming? I've answered these questions in my earlier posts, but you do not seem to be reading what I wrote so that you can address your questions.

I'm confused and it's starting to feel like I'm getting roped into a console war argument without even knowing who I'm arguing against.

Last edited:
This is why Sony is slowly losing me.

Same. I definitely pick and choose which Sony games I'm getting as opposed to being a full-blown fan of the Sony lineup. Sony makes a great mass-market console that will receive numerous third-party titles, which is why I'm a fan of the Playstation brand. Their narrative-driven games are pushing the industry in a bad direction, IMO. More voice acting, more mo-cap, more scripting, more Hollywood-styled cutscenes, more Sony cameras doing Sony things on Sony OLEDs with Sony VR goggles, etc

I understand that some people really enjoy those experiences and I accept it, but Sony does not exhibit the plucky, fun-loving attitude that I want a videogame company to have, and it shows in their game output. It even shows when you compare their E3 "shows" today to the ones at the beginning of the PS4 generation.

Sony sadly have gone for profit over pasison these days, and I think it is due to their Playstation Brand being their buggest money driver these days.

They will still make quirky games via their smaller studios but they will be less advertised by Sony as it doesn't make profit although at the same time it keeps the type of fans who like variety on side.

I loved Freedom Wars and Oreshika but I sadly accept this future from Sony and buy less of their Western/Open World stuff and focus on the Falcoms, SEGAs, and Studio Japan on their system.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sony sadly have gone for profit over pasison these days, and I think it is due to their Playstation Brand being their buggest money driver these days.

They will still make quirky games via their smaller studios but they will be less advertised by Sony as it doesn't make profit although at the same time it keeps the type of fans who like variety on side.

I loved Freedom Wars and Oreshika but I sadly accept this future from Sony and buy less of their Western/Open World stuff and focus on the Falcoms, SEGAs, and Studio Japan on their system.
Sony's output in the past 5 years is nothing compared to what they were attempting during the PS3/PSP days. I'd even be placated with sequels. Gimme more Patapon, more top-down Killzone, more Pursuit Force, more Motorstorm, more Tokyo Jungle, (rattles off long list of games I loved on PS3/PSP).

PS4 has a much, much better thirdparty offerings this generation, for sure.

Last edited:

Tomeru

I've already explained my tastes. I don't know what else you want me to explain, and it's especially odd when I've clarified that Sony's first party games aren't really the reason why I continue to buy their brand.

Are you under the impression that everyone likes cutscenes, that everyone enjoys narrative-driven singleplayer experiences, that everyone enjoys third-person action games? Do you believe that more voice-acting, more mo-cap, more Hollywood direction is good for gaming? I've answered these questions in my earlier posts, but you do not seem to be reading what I wrote so that you can address your questions.

I'm confused and it's starting to feel like I'm getting roped into a console war argument without even knowing who I'm arguing against.

Sorry, I was asking from a technical/practical pov. Do you think people believe that there would be more gameplay if cutscenes werent made?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sorry, I was asking from a technical/practical pov. Do you think people believe that there would be more gameplay if cutscenes werent made?
Not necessarily, no. As a hypothetical, maybe if there was less money spent on cutscenes/mocap/voiceacting/etc the money would be redirected toward "gameplay", but that's not really how game development works.

My frustration is that gameplay can get diluted when narrative takes center stage. I don't necessarily want to spend my time hopping between cutscenes for the sake of spectacle. As I get older, I prefer leaner and leaner gaming experiences. From this paradigm, Sony's focus on narrative and storytelling is low-tier content for my personal tastes. This is merely a general sentiment.

For specific games, there are plenty of Sony titles with enjoyable narrative and enjoyable cutscenes. I do not theorize that those games would be "better" with fewer/no cutscenes as if the money would've been spent on making "better gameplay". I think those games would be better with fewer/no cutscenes because I think the practice drags down the overall experience of a videogame (except in rare, exceptional cases) and gaming would be better off without such a strong focus on narrative/storytelling.

All that said, I can understand why people still like that style of gaming. Unfortunately though, it is causing me to lose interest in Sony's firstparty offerings. Doesn't matter much to me in the case of the PS4 because I'm finding plenty of thirdparty games to play on my system anyway.

Mista

Banned
........ Pal, check my post again and read it whole. You misunderstood literally everything :messenger_beaming:

I was adressing another poster and used two quotes, one coming from you, to make a totally different point than what you´ve interpreted.

Yeah, I don´t have to play Sony´s games, which is why I, personally, just don´t. But despite my and other people´s opinions, I wrote about that I do see the value behind their focus, that I´m aware millions of players are enjoying their titles and that I´m happy for all those people.
I fail to see how you came up with that response 🙃
Ah my bad. Was not in my head as I had a long ass flight so I apologise

Top Bottom