• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Went "Back to the Drawing Board" with Driveclub

Take your pick!

i9rub4DLZrZ8F.gif

s986r.gif

ifK8fl7n8cHp4.gif
Shame they went back to drawing board.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Xater

Whoa that does sound like we might still be waiting quite a while for this game. Sucks that they are so secretive about this game on top of it. I wonder if their "soon" means at this point E3. Maybe we'll get a re-reveal with hopefully a release that's still this year.

viveks86

Its like you're moving your head in the cockpit view. Looking at cars passing by and stuff, not only straight on the road. In the second gif you also see the speed indicator go slightly out of focus. I've never seen anything like that in a racing game.
How would that work?
VR Headset^^

Or the right analog stick :p

Please be VR

They did not go back to the drawing board. Do you guys not read the articles posted ever?
“So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost],” Rohde continued, “and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game.”
Are we reading different articles?

iceatcs

Whatever is happening with the game.
I hope it will be EXTREMELY polished and be a great game.

Not really sure, I have played the demo twice, and it seem alright, just IQ need a bit of work.

Maybe there is no AI ready yet. I was playing with MP with other demo stations.

Delay? It'l be doen when it's done is the stance I'm taking.

Suggestions for getting it finished up

- give a nitrous boost to the cars
- give the cars off road tyres and make some crazy dirt tracks
- add more types of vehicles to vary gameplay ie. monster trucks and buggies
- set it in a crasy fictional island full of canyons, volcanoes, cliffsides and basins
- give it a kick ass damage model
- rock soundtrack with mixing of drum and bass
- rename it Motorstorm 4

Thanks, Evolution.

Loki-Smiles-Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

Agent X

This game is one of my most anticipated games right now. I don't mind that it's been delayed, as I'd prefer to wait a little bit longer if it means we get a higher quality product as a result. They clearly felt that some extra time in the oven was necessary here. Evolution has done some awesome racers in the past, so I have faith in this game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The GIFs look amazing in this thread, but the demo I played at the Eurogamer Expo last year really wasn't.

How old was the Eurogamer build? The game improved a lot every time they showed it up until they went dark last November.

IMO, the small bits they were showing off on Facebook are right up there with The Order as the best looking game on PS4.

Probably already mentioned, but the 'sharing' video Sony put out today still says Announced release date 05/27/14

I get that it says 'announced', but you'd think they wouldn't put any date on there if it was pushed back for a significant length of time.

This is definitely new and not just an update on the initial delay. Because the last official word was 'early 2014' which sure as fuck isn't happening right now. So it seems like the delay was extended, especially since Rohde refuses to commit to 2014 now.

iceatcs

How old was the Eurogamer build? The game improved a lot every time they showed it up until they went dark last November.

IMO, the small bits they were showing off on Facebook are right up there with The Order as the best looking game on PS4.

Gamescom/E3 demo are the same with Eurogamer, same with UK launch party. All are same track.
They're barely update the first demo which likely there is only one demo from E3 for all the events.

Gestault

What kind of reaction are we going to see if the presentation for the final version doesn't match up with the reveal trailer, gameplay reveal, and shorter facebook clips? They've said at each stage those were all from the current version of the game, and there's theoretically not a reason for the visuals to be influenced by game design changes, right?

What kind of reaction are we going to see if the presentation for the final version doesn't match up with the reveal trailer, gameplay reveal, and shorter facebook clips? They've said at each stage those were all from the current version of the game, and there's theoretically not a reason for the visuals to be influenced by game design changes, right?

It would be very disappointing but highly entertaining.

viveks86

I doubt this is in-game (except the last one). The game still looks good and I wish I could play it.

If you are sure the last one is in-game, then so is the first one. They are different camera perspectives of the same segment :p

Having said that, I have no idea if any of these 3 are completely untouched gameplay. They might be replay footage. However, the other GIFs on the previous page are, in fact, gameplay. They are not very different from these, besides the head movement and depth of field.

If you are sure the last one is in-game, then so is the first one. They are different camera perspectives of the same segment :p

Having said that, I have no idea if any of these 3 are completely untouched gameplay. They might be replay footage. However, the other GIFs on the previous page are, in fact, gameplay. They are not very different from these, besides the head movement and depth of field.
I think there's something off in those two gifs that screams "not actual gameplay". The last one is difficult to say and resembles what we've seen but those first two? I really doubt it.

I share those doubts, was it confirmed (eyes on) that it was running on a retail PS4 when that footage was captured?
From what I know nope. In fact, it comes from an ad and we all know how ads work.

NotSaladin

Neo Member
I really hope the situation is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be in this thread. I'm pretty sure that the context of that article has been read into too much.

Seems to me that he was explaining why it was delayed, and that it is still an ongoing process. The game is not done just yet, but it is not like they have started from scratch all over again as of today!

If I were a gambling man, I would say that it will re-emerge soon in some capacity, whether it be GDC, Gamescom or E3.

Claneko

I'm going to say I'm okay with this.

Wait...before you kill me, if I understand correctly they want this one to have more time in the dev process making things better, right? I'm cool with that.

Okay, I've said my piece, you can hang me now.

ZeroX03

Banned
I played a bit of DriveClub at an event a while back, it felt frustratingly caught between controlling like a sim but acting like it's an arcade racer. I hope the delay means a turn in the arcade direction, Sony's already got GT ticking the sim box.

Top Bottom