• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Went "Back to the Drawing Board" with Driveclub

colin.png

Key. ie "undergoing, not restarted"

And, there it is.

funny thing that DC older build looked a generation leap compared to Forza 5, yet Sony decided to polish the game even more while MS released Forza 5 as is.

That's gives you a perspective on quality standards between Sony and Microsoft.
This is such an unfounded an unnecessary comment. What do you honestly really know about quality control at Sony and Microsoft studios?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Again though, consider the bold.

Sounds like a current status, not just a past status.
Going back to the drawing board =/= the entire project has been scrapped and we're now rebuilding it from the ground up.

Going back to the drawing board can also mean reworking some parts of a project while leaving other parts intact. We've known for quite some time now that the game was delayed to rework the social features because they weren't working as intended, and that the game needed some more polish. This single quote in the context of this single short article seems to refer to that rather than implying that they rebooted the entire project for some reason.

That's going on right now with the game =/= we went back to the drawing board two days ago.

They went back to the drawing board when they originally delayed it, to fix the social features and add some more polish. The game hasn't been released yet, so they're obviously still working on it, and thus at the drawing board.

In other words; there is no news here.

Raist

Banned
*sigh*
PS+ Edition will of course be there. It's not "free" though. It never was. Simply what basically amounts to a glorified demo that's large enough to get a Platinum trophy, which are vague terms in the first place.

There's no reason they would take it off the program, regardless.

No, they should just give the whole game for free now. With a cherry on top.

Coolwhip

Banned
*sigh*
PS+ Edition will of course be there. It's not "free" though. It never was. Simply what basically amounts to a glorified demo that's large enough to get a Platinum trophy, which are vague terms in the first place.

There's no reason they would take it off the program, regardless.

I really don't understand the purpose of clickbait titles in a forum. You don't gain anything from it. Yes, OP I know you didn't mean to, but I think everyone needs to take some liberties with their threads.

Don't you have GAF Gold? You get a portion of the income your threads generate.

VanWinkle

The game does seem to have been delayed again though since the original stated early 2014. The game must have been in some real rough shape.

geordiemp

If the VR rumours are true then it would make perfect sense to restart Drive club to be 60 FPS and a VR mode of deriving 2 displays quickly....

So, IF VR is happening at GDC, maybe all of this makes total sense....

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
funny thing that DC older build looked a generation leap compared to Forza 5, yet Sony decided to polish the game even more while MS released Forza 5 as is.

That's gives you a perspective on quality standards between Sony and Microsoft.

What is your point?

Gestault

The only problem with this comes from making announcements for when a game will be available (and having it planned as supporting software for a hardware launch) which end up being woefully inaccurate. Willingness to hold off on putting out unfinished software is a good thing, but this was a case of project planning being out of sync with reality.

That said? I'll be just as happy to play this down the road as I would have been near launch, assuming the quality is there. These guys still have my attention. That said, I think people assuming that a game being delayed must mean it will be high-quality may set themselves up for disappointment, in the future if not necessarily with this title. A team working under one company or another doesn't magically make development an easy process.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It still should have just been Gran Turismo 6. They have thrown their biggest IP in the trash for this game. Not worth it.

As long as it looks the same as the most recently released videos/gifs, I will be happy.

Like, I really hope they're not changing the lighting in the game.

Going back to the drawing board =/= the entire project has been scrapped and we're now rebuilding it from the ground up.

Going back to the drawing board can also mean reworking some parts of a project while leaving other parts intact. We've known for quite some time now that the game was delayed to rework the social features because they weren't working as intended, and that the game needed some more polish. This single quote in the context of this single short article seems to refer to that rather than implying that they rebooted the entire project for some reason.

That's going on right now with the game =/= we went back to the drawing board two days ago.

They went back to the drawing board when they originally delayed it, to fix the social features and add some more polish. The game hasn't been released yet, so they're obviously still working on it, and thus at the drawing board.

In other words; there is no news here.
I think the news here is that it was delayed for more than just minor polish. Large portions of the game must have been re-worked. I think we have different definitions of the phrase back to the drawing board, because the most commonly used and accepted definition is:

go back to the drawing board
Fig. to return to the planning stage, so that a failed project can be planned again.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/go+back+to+the+drawing+board

Obviously they didn't re-start the project, but a phrase like that means it was more than minor changes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm really confused about all the people saying "read the article!" as if it somehow then outlines a positive picture of this games clearly troubled development. I guess sometime late last year it all went totally to shit and then it was back to the drawing board, so yeah anyone that thinks that time is now has their chronology boned, but this is still bad news for the project's prospective short-term release. Theyre not even entertaining "its just about done!" language either.

The meme that is "SOON" has certainly worn out its appearance around DriveClub, thats for sure as well. They said that back in like January, so thats not really how that word works, Sony.

Mascot

Quite happy with this news. I'm in no rush to jump to next-gen and if a delay means a much better game, then great.

DerZuhälter;103824653 said:
- Amy Henning and Naughty Dog
- Stig's IP, Sony Santa Monica,
- Drive Club
-Media Molecule spending their ressources on a Vita game that isn't selling and now being very late on anything PS4

No wonder Jacky Boy had to go. SCEA getting to feel the axe of cutbacks after internal reviews it seems.
They had 15 people working on it, I doubt they lost much money (if any) even if it bombed, especially since the game had no marketing. They also gave PSVita a AAA in terms of big title quality. And apparently every game that is coming in 2015 for WWS they're very late on anything? :S

Niks

Whats with sony and racing games? GT6 was/is a clusterfuck, and driveclub remains in development limbo...

Fezan

I Seriously think now that closing studio liverpool before ps4 was a bad i idea. I am not that fond of wipeout series but one thing they were good at was to launch a wipeout game on console launch with good reviews. Also it may have filled a void that's right now in sony lineup and also may be sell good being a launch title

Demi_God

Banned
The comments in this topic are so unreal. Everyone is jumping to these conclusions and nothing was really said about it. So one guy jumps to a conclusion that's really based off of nothing and everyone is panicking. wtf

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A lot of ideas, none of them seemed to pull strongly enough in any direction to get my attention though. The sort of social-but-restricted foundation of the game via clubs always seemed to me like it would cause problems with how your average person approaches the game.

Metallix87

Yet, people frequently posit them as facts here. It implies that something is objective rather than subjective and tends to devalue the discourse (IMO).
His opinion has merit, as I'm sure many others feel the same way. I know I do, despite thinking both launches were lacking.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, I honestly forgot about this game.

I'm still not sure why it exists, though... how is it different from Gran Turismo, like... at all?

Shitty news. I hope it's still coming this year. I mean, I thought this was close to done? What went so wrong or what changed in their direction to just drop it all and/or restart?

This was one of my most anticipated games. Plus the absolute fucking silence when it comes to wheel support is just shitty.

Meh, will play when it comes out.

Iacobellis

I genuinely wonder how this game would have turned out if it was released at launch. There seemed to be such a strong foundation for it, and it was shaping up very nicely around October and November.

Vire

So they went from "early 2014" to "we don't know if it's shipping in 2014"?

What the fuck Sony...

The best scenario that could explain this is that Sony no longer wants to make merely okay games like many of their studios did during the PS3 years. Or these games could just be in development hell in which case Sony needs to clean their shit up.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I think the news here is that it was delayed for more than just minor polish. Large portions of the game must have been re-worked. I think we have different definitions of the phrase back to the drawing board, because the most commonly used and accepted definition is:

go back to the drawing board
Fig. to return to the planning stage, so that a failed project can be planned again.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/go+back+to+the+drawing+board

Obviously they didn't re-start the project, but a phrase like that means it was more than minor changes.
Did I state anywhere that they only delayed for polishing and minor tweaking? The social features were supposed to be a big part of the game, and they've said that they're reworking those because they weren't working like they wanted them to work (either technically or conceptually, we don't know). That was the primary reason for the delay, and certainly an element they'd potentially have to 'go back to the drawing board' for. The point is that we've already known that for quite some time now, and that there is pretty much no reason at all to assume that anything else is being referenced here by Rohde.

His opinion has merit, as I'm sure many others feel the same way. I know I do, despite thinking both launches were lacking.

An opinion can have merit, but can still come across as self-absorbed when articulated in a way that implies anyone that disagrees is objectively wrong.

Top Bottom