• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Went "Back to the Drawing Board" with Driveclub

GHG

Gold Member
They were really silly for not just getting this out at launch for free on PSN and then improving it/adding content with monthly patches (or fortnightly for people who have bought the full game).

Something like the Project Cars model would have worked really well IMO. Just don't do a retail version, thats all.

Iacobellis

They were really silly for not just getting this out at launch for free on PSN and then improving it/adding content with monthly patches (or fortnightly for people who have bought the full game).

I think Sony may using it as a way to combat Microsoft come Q3/Q4. PS4 has already down well enough without DRIVECLUB, so by having that along with Destiny and The Order ready for gamers later this year will be quite the treat.

Metallix87

If it shares the same physics engine, sure. Otherwise wouldn't it be a meaningless connection?
Maybe, but tying a racing game to Sony's biggest franchise, sales-wise, is a smart business move.

Also, I understand that Polyphony declined, but Sony should have done it anyway.

Salex_

The comments in this topic are so unreal. Everyone is jumping to these conclusions and nothing was really said about it. So one guy jumps to a conclusion that's really based off of nothing and everyone is panicking. wtf

It's not just this thread, it's a problem that happens far too often lately. It's ridiculously annoying to see people jump off the fucking mountain off of a small piece of information rather it's right or wrong.

There's also another problem with assumptions. You have people posting opinions presented as "Facts" and it spreads quickly because people assume if 2 or more people repeats something, it's a good chance it's right. You can't blame them either. This is NeoGAF, the place where people are suppose to be more informed than the average gamer.

Something like the Project Cars model would have worked really well IMO. Just don't do a retail version, thats all.

If the game was truly hot garbage before it launched, I don't think people would have accepted a title so broken even if it is free. Quality is expected, and you'd have to spend time drawing in a whole new crowd and waste money on that.

Loudninja

What are you talking about?

How would that have been a good idea?

Just for some perspective, the last official word I'm aware of was this:

SCE Worldwide Studios and the team at Evolution Studios have made the difficult decision to delay the release of DRIVECLUB and DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition until early 2014. DRIVECLUB will be a truly innovative, socially connected racing game, but the team requires more time in order to deliver on their vision — and I’m fully confident the game will surpass your expectations.

This decision also affects PlayStation Plus members‘ Instant Game Collection for launch. To be clear, DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition will still be part of the Instant Game Collection when it is released.
(full statement)

So if this article is purely speaking to the original delay, does this mean we could still see the game release "early 2014"?

This question is posed specifically at the "read the article" and "stop jumping to conclusions" contingent of the thread, but if anybody knows, please share ;P

Maybe, but tying a racing game to Sony's biggest franchise, sales-wise, is a smart business move.

Also, I understand that Polyphony declined, but Sony should have done it anyway.
Maybe? Haha, thats what people would expect. GT as a brand, if its to have any meaning, must, well, mean something. And just being licensed cars is not enough.

Forza Horizon *is* an open world Forza, just with a different, more stunty, drifty tune. That's what makes it work so damn well.

Violater

...there's no new news here. This isn't a delay, it's an explanation of the original delay.

I think it gives some idea of the severity of the delay, at first most thought it was just to polish the game.
Other speculated about VR implementation, this seems like none of the above and actually more cause for lack of a better word "concern".
Though it is true, we know now whether the game is still on schedule after the initial delay or not.

shandy706

OH COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNN

Fucking fuckity fuck. I bought the PS4 to play this fucking game. This is so lame Sony/Evo. Grrr

This is why I do my best to never buy based on potential.

You should have waited for a solid release date and went all in on that date. Nothing wrong with buying for one game at its release.

mrw-my-high-school-bans-yoga-pants-44621.gif

Just for some perspective, the last official word I'm aware of was this:

(full statement)

So if this article is purely speaking to the original delay, does this mean we could still see the game release "early 2014"?

This question is posed specifically at the "read the article" and "stop jumping to conclusions" contingent of the thread, but if anybody knows, please share ;P
Unless they go guns-blazing during and after GDC on the back of a VR reveal then I can't see it being early 2014 as it'd need to be by the end of April really.

That's what I figured if it was taking so long, that something has to be messed up, hopefully the fix it. I like how they said weeks ago that there will be details 'soon' on the release.

That's what I figured if it was taking so long, that something has to be messed up, hopefully the fix it. I like how they said weeks ago that there will be details 'soon' on the release.
Pretty sure that was months ago.

Not that I'm counting, mind you.

Nope, not counting the days, not at all. Nosiree.

*eye twitch*

As written, that tweet suggests the game is being taken back to the drawing board currently. If that's not what Rohhe meant then the writer should have asked him to clarify.

Artex

Banned
I don't know why this needs to be explained, but what they are saying is the original delay was because they wanted to add more polish rather than shipping something just for financial reasons (like so many other publishers shamelessly do).

From what I understand that was already communicated to the fans properly, and some of you have become victims of sensationalist journalism when news is slow.

viveks86

I think the article sheds some light on what happened to the game. 5 months and no sign of a release date clearly indicates that they went back to the drawing board. This wasn't just a matter of 'polish'. There is something fundamental being worked on. May be it's VR. May be it's the core engine. Who knows? The fact that they are willing to eat the cost and keep working on it without a solid release date is commendable, albeit frustrating.

In any case, this isn't really 'news'. It's an 'update' on the delay, with a title that could easily be misconstrued. If I were Sony, I would've declined to comment altogether without having something more to excite fans. Seems quite obvious that this would just irritate those who are already getting impatient with this game. It's bad PR IMO

If they are implementing VR, they'd basically have to take it from what was a 1080p/30fps game to basically a 720p/60fps times two game. I can see where doing something like that would make the phrase "back to the drawing board" make sense, where you're thinking about making fundamental changes to the game to make it more VR friendly.

Metallix87

Maybe? Haha, thats what people would expect. GT as a brand, if its to have any meaning, must, well, mean something. And just being licensed cars is not enough.

Forza Horizon *is* an open world Forza, just with a different, more stunty, drifty tune. That's what makes it work so damn well.
People expect a high quality racing experience. The physics don't need to be the same, and most GT fans would just be happy to have something to tide them over until GT7 in 2018.

As written, that tweet suggests the game is being taken back to the drawing board currently. If that's not what Rohhe meant then the writer should have asked him to clarify.

The whole article is in reference to the delay of launch. Then he says that tweet, which means "the restructuring is happening currently" not "the restructuring is happening at this very moment and everything is being built up from the ground"

People expect a high quality racing experience.
I'd radically disagree with the notion that GT means just a high quality racing experience. Its a very particular driving feel with a sim grounding. That can only be played with so much before it has nothing to do with GT - so I'd advise Sony toy with that only at their peril. Its not like GT fans are in the best mood right now as it is.

That said, if there was an open world game built on top of GT's driving model and sharing assets - a GT Horizon, I'd be all over it. :)

At this point my racing glands are atrophying ;P

So yeah, when does The Crew release? Before or after DriveClub?

Prototype

Was DC in such a bad state that something like this was necessary? Makes me a little worried about the final release. edit: which is too bad, because it was one of the few PS4 games I was looking forward to

viveks86

There is a second part to that sentence - "make sure the game is great before we ship it". So one can also read it as "they are currently making sure the game is great before they ship it". We are picking apart sentences to draw our own conclusions. Hence all conclusions are up for debate. Colin's tweet doesn't mean anything. He is making his inference just like the rest of us. I'm not even sure what inference he has actually made, since even that seems to be debated in this page.

As you said, he should've asked Rohde to further clarify before reporting it. But Colin seems to be quite trigger happy these days, so I'm not surprised.

CyberChulo

It's been years since I played a really good driving game. The unrealistic approach to Gran Turismo's car crashes turned me off. The motorstorm series brought me back in the racing genre.

iceatcs

About time to explain, still quite late.
I always wondering what's up with media because they never really actually ask them on the day of original release date.

Look like Twitter still king of source we going for. Sorry media, you are just too slow.

The whole article is in reference to the delay of launch. Then he says that tweet, which means "the restructuring is happening currently" not "the restructuring is happening at this very moment and everything is being built up from the ground"
I disagree, here's why:

We got a chance to speak to Sony’s Scott Rohde – one of the men in charge of Sony’s family of first party studios – about the status of its phantom racing game.
Status implies the interview is going to focus on what's going on with the game currently, not what happened 4 months ago. This sets up the tone for the rest of the piece.

“So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost],” Rohde continued, “and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game.”
Rohde says, Sony is willing to go back to the drawing board and that's what's going on with the game right now.Unless he was referinng only to the part of the 'make it great' part of the sentence in which case it's the interviewer's job to make it clear to the reader.

I stopped thinking it would be offered for free when it was delayed.
Sony said:
SCE Worldwide Studios and the team at Evolution Studios have made the difficult decision to delay the release of DRIVECLUB and DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition until early 2014.
To be clear, DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition will still be part of the Instant Game Collection when it is released.
(Playstation Blog)

I think the article sheds some light on what happened to the game. 5 months and no sign of a release date clearly indicates that they went back to the drawing board. This wasn't just a matter of 'polish'. There is something fundamental being worked on. May be it's VR. May be it's the core engine. Who knows? The fact that they are willing to eat the cost and keep working on it without a solid release date is commendable, albeit frustrating.

In any case, this isn't really 'news'. It's an 'update' on the delay, with a title that could easily be misconstrued. If I were Sony, I would've declined to comment altogether without having something more to excite fans. Seems quite obvious that this would just irritate those who are already getting impatient with this game. It's bad PR IMO

It's nice to see a level headed, well-reasoned post in this thread of terrible miserly and despair. Thanks.

Top Bottom