• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Went "Back to the Drawing Board" with Driveclub

btkadams

maybe they went back to drawing board and it's going to be like this now:

Evolution can totally make this happen:

iF8CvAYR9p4NK.gif

PJV3

This conflicts with Rohde's explanation. Yoshida says the game needed polish and better implementation of social features; Rodhe says the game went back to the drawing board. Maybe Rohde is exaggerating greatly but those are two completely different things.

The game heavily revolves around the social stuff, for Yoshida to say publicly it isn't good enough means a lot of work in my mind.

I could be wrong but they aren't so different to me.

iceatcs

This conflicts with Rohde's explanation. Yoshida says the game needed polish and better implementation of social features; Rodhe says the game went back to the drawing board. Maybe Rohde is exaggerating greatly but those are two completely different things.

It seem much obviously they cannot explain full. I think due either NDA, or don't want people take it wrong way.

Shame that we have to wait longer whatever they ready to show, then we will know what going on.

viveks86

It does sound conflicting, but think about it. These statements are 5 months apart. Their original plan was early 2014. I think we can agree at this point that it is highly unlikely to happen. It really looks like they decided to change the scope of what the game was doing somewhere between November and now. Besides, all this is just PR. People tend to say whatever is the easiest way to avoid difficult questions that require them to divulge internal details.

ViciousDS

Banned
Please tell me it's going to compete with forza horizon and be an open world racer with those visuals.....oh my gosh it would be so beautiful.

I'm still waiting for a game that gave me the open world nostalgia that the first test drive unlimited did.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
No it doesn't.
'Going back to the drawing board' does not always mean 'to scrap a project in it's entirerty and rebuild it from scratch'. Going back to the drawing board can also mean going back to improve or change an element from a project because it wasn't working by changing that element without having to scrap the rest of the project. Driveclub was delayed because of problems with the social features, which were supposed to be a huge part of the game. They are reworking this social element because it wasn't working like they wanted on a technical level. They went 'back to the drawing board' for the social features. We've known that for a while now.

From the context in which this quote was placed (a short article on why Driveclub was delayed), there is no reason to believe that it references anything other than what we've already known for months.

Metallix87

I'd radically disagree with the notion that GT means just a high quality racing experience. Its a very particular driving feel with a sim grounding. That can only be played with so much before it has nothing to do with GT - so I'd advise Sony toy with that only at their peril. Its not like GT fans are in the best mood right now as it is.

This wouldn't be a mainline entry. It would be a spin-off / side series.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Disappointed but l was wondering why they were not disclosing on the single player campaign or reporting any news on the game recently.

I just hope Sony deliver at E3 on first party games as this is the main reason l bought the console :(

Sony please don't disappoint me.

No it doesn't.
'Going back to the drawing board' does not always mean 'to scrap a project in it's entirerty and rebuild it from scratch'. Going back to the drawing board can also mean going back to improve or change an element from a project because it wasn't working by changing that element without having to scrap the rest of the project. Driveclub was delayed because of problems with the social features, which were supposed to be a huge part of the game. They are reworking this social element because it wasn't working like they wanted on a technical level. They went 'back to the drawing board' for the social features. We've known that for a while now.

From the context in which this quote was placed (a short article on why Driveclub was delayed), there is no reason to believe that it references anything other than what we've already known for months.
The only thing though, when it was delayed 5 months ago, they said it would be coming out early 2014. It's now March 10th, and we've heard nothing about any release date. I think that's part of the reason why people are worried as well.

DedValve

Banned
One thing I do remember about Driveclub was them saying 60FPS was a possibility back when it was still on track for PS4 launch. This wait better make that happen and it'll be worth it.

jWILL253

Banned
10 pages in, and people still aren't reading the article. I think NeoGAF should go back to the drawing board.

That said, the cluster has been absolutely fucked for this game. For the last two generations, Sony has suffered from some serious mismanagement of its Worldwide Studios. This reeks of another TLG situation...

madmackem

This thread is embarrassing. OP should add a massive disclaimer in his post because clearly people don't bother reading the actual article.

They never do ever, as far as im concerned if they need to delay it till late this year then do so, people are quick to demand a release and even quicker to slate a dev for pushing out a game to early.

They never do ever, as far as im concerned if they need to delay it till late this year then do so, ...
Yes, but they should at least say so. They've been stringing along their fanbase for far too long if this thing is an end of 2014 game or even 2015. And with an article like this one things just seem fuzzier than ever.

We've heard details were coming "soon", since when, January?

Uh, no? Where did you get this idea?
Probably came about from all the talk of upgrading the free version, and how the game would be like a service with continued development after launch. All of that can certainly read like a transaction heavy game.

Always planned on getting the retail copy myself.

Knew it. Weren't they talking about positioning this game as being super heavy on microtranscations?

Deserve what they get if that's the direction they were going.
I think you're getting mixed up with Forza.

Is Driveclub still going to be a PS+ game? They really haven't said much about it.

RdN

They really, really want to avoid another Motorstorm fiasco.

And I'm completely OK with it. They must take as long as it is necessary to deliver a really good game. The Playstation needs another good racing franchise, since GT looses steam every release.

viveks86

It's nice to see a level headed, well-reasoned post in this thread of terrible miserly and despair. Thanks.

Thanks! I must admit that it is extremely hard. I can empathize with all this misery and despair. I've been so excited for this game that every piece of news that isn't a video, game info or release date makes me want to kick a puppy. And all this 'coming soon' nonsense is giving some serious blue balls. I hope Sony and Evo realize that.

noobasuar

Banned
Uh, no? Where did you get this idea?

Back when it was first unveiled I remember reading some interviews with the development studio talking about how the game would have a heavy focus on DLC or microtranscations for cars, tracks, etc and that's why there would be a free PS+ version.

I could be wrong but I swear I remember reading about that about a year ago. I guess I'll try and dig something up.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, right your development ship Sony. Or announce some new projects that we may actually see sometime this century, shit is getting old. I'm glad they're not releasing a terrible product but they need games to come to completion already, delay after delay.

Loudninja

Man, right your development ship Sony. Or announce some new projects that we may actually see sometime this century, shit is getting old. I'm glad they're not releasing a terrible product but they need games to come to completion already, delay after delay.
What game has been delay more than one time?

Only game that actually got delayed was Drive Club.

I think Sony may using it as a way to combat Microsoft come Q3/Q4. PS4 has already down well enough without DRIVECLUB, so by having that along with Destiny and The Order ready for gamers later this year will be quite the treat.
Speaking of Destiny I saw a commercial for it last night.

Half a year ahead of release. The marketing for that game is going to be MASSIVE. It'll probably even trump TitanFall's

Age of Sony is finally over! :p

I'm kind of glad that they are taking the time to make this game better (this is of course me assuming that it's going to end up better than it was before), and since the game is still bound to be free for PS+ users (me!) then I'm not mad.

Again, I'm assuming that it's still going to be free for PS+ users.

Top Bottom