• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Went "Back to the Drawing Board" with Driveclub

I still don't understand what the hell is going on with this F$%&ING GAME!

Just a matter of a handful of weeks back Sony said it would have a release date for DriveClub shortly:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/445692/sony-to-announce-driveclub-release-date-shortly/

Now, suddenly its back to the drawing board? How the hell does that happen?!?!?!

How does a game go from being nearly done according to Sony, to suddenly possibly delayed for months on end again?

Do their developers have any friggin clue what they are up to?

Theecliff

Banned

Just a matter of a handful of weeks back Sony said it would have a release date for DriveClub shortly:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/445692/sony-to-announce-driveclub-release-date-shortly/

Now, suddenly its back to the drawing board? How the hell does that happen?!?!?!

How does a game go from being nearly done according to Sony, to suddenly possibly delayed for months on end again?

It's probably been 'back to the drawing board' for a while, hence why it was originally delayed. The phrase (which also seems like a poor choice of words now) was just an explanation as to why it was delayed, I don't think it's been anything 'sudden'.

It's probably been 'back to the drawing board' for a while, hence why it was originally delayed. The phrase (which also seems like a poor choice of words now) was just an explanation as to why it was delayed, I don't think it's been anything 'sudden'.

Yes, but there is one problem with your logic. If the game has been "back to the drawing board" for a while, then why did Sony come out and say mere weeks beforehand that a release date announcement was imminent "soon"? If the game was clearly undergoing a major revision, then making an announcement that its final release date is forthcoming in the very near future literally makes no sense.

Its like Sony has no comprehension or cognizance of the status of its own developers.

coldone

Guess 1: They probably had mock reviews and scores were terrible. They are probably worried it will be like another Knack.

Guess 2: They dont feel the urgency to release this on PS+ now. As people are simply happy with Multi-platform games. PS4 is flying off the shelf. Why not put more effort and launch it with VR

Guess 3: GT7 folks looked at PS4 and probably told YOSP, that the earliest they can get the PS4 port is 2016/17. So they decide to make Driveclub a complete game and release it with next Forza in 2015

Guess 4: Studio is a goner. We will hear about layoffs in few weeks....

Socky

Not cool...

Aw, don't do that, please. You had me going there.

It wasn't meant to fool anyone, sorry 'bout that.

Although it certainly hasn't been communicated in that manner (which is a shame because CDPR did a great job explaining the Witcher delay IMO), I feel that is the kind of statement Sony could make about Driveclub. Before they went dark on it, DC was looking better and better, so I see no reason why we should be all doom and gloom about it's final form. Yeah it sucks we still don't know when it will be out, but besides that I'm glad they are taking the time and extra money to make it the best game it can be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That letter basically reiterates the 'few more months' and suggests it is more about balancing and tweaking than anything fundamental.

That is all fine.

But that also contradicts with 'when it is done' which is often used when there is no clear end visible just yet (which shouldn't be the case as we are already a few months since the original launch), and also contradicts with 'back to the drawing board'. Although the latter I'm going to put down to a bad choice of words.

Theecliff

Banned
Yes, but there is one problem with your logic. If the game has been "back to the drawing board" for a while, then why did Sony come out and say weeks beforehand that a release date announcement was imminent "soon"? If the game was clearly undergoing a major revision then making an announcement that its final release date is forthcoming in the very near future, literally makes no sense.

Its like Sony has no comprehension or cognizance of the status of its own developers.
The 'soon' was probably to appease those who were asking for a while. And anyway, how does that contradict everything? How do we know they haven't been making this major revision (if it is major) for a while? Again, the comment was just explaining why there was a delay, not that they were had only just started revising the game. It probably 'went back to the drawing board' around the time it got originally delayed, or when they were thinking of doing so. That could still mean they have an announcement for the release date imminent (although I highly, highly doubt it).

I think the whole drawing board comment is getting read into way too much anyway. It just seems like a poor choice of words.

Guess 1: They probably had mock reviews and scores were terrible. They are probably worried it will be like another Knack.

Guess 2: They dont feel the urgency to release this on PS+ now. As people are simply happy with Multi-platform games. PS4 is flying off the shelf. Why not put more effort and launch it with VR

Guess 3: GT7 folks looked at PS4 and probably told YOSP, that the earliest they can get the PS4 port is 2016/17. So they decide to make Driveclub a complete game and release it with next Forza in 2015

Guess 4: Studio is a goner. We will hear about layoffs in few weeks....

I sure as hell hope that last one is NOT the case.

Sony has had enough closures and it would be a REAL travesty to kill a talented studio like this one. Particularly with the game so close to being finished.

I have a felling you may be on to something with that first guess though. Maybe they did have the game assessed and found it was lacking and wouldn't fare well being released now. That actually makes sense. Especially, how they spoke if it being released soon. Well, if that is the case, then I hope they at least utilize the time wisely to get it in shape.

That VR prediction is also an interesting prospect. If Sony is really launching this VR deal, then a racing game like DC would be well suited for it.

Socky

That letter basically reiterates the 'few more months' and suggests it is more about balancing and tweaking than anything fundamental.

That is all fine.

But that also contradicts with 'when it is done' which is often used when there is no clear end visible just yet (which shouldn't be the case as we are already a few months since the original launch), and also contradicts with 'back to the drawing board'. Although the latter I'm going to put down to a bad choice of words.

Please note: the 'letter' is a parody of the Witcher 3 delay press release, showing how perhaps the delay to Driveclub should have been announced. It isn't genuine. Sorry for the confusion! I'll amend the original post to avoid further confusion. I'll also get me coat...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please note: the 'letter' is a parody of the Witcher 3 delay press release, showing how perhaps the delay to Driveclub should have been announced. It isn't genuine. Sorry for the confusion! I'll amend the original post to avoid further confusion. I'll also get me coat...

Arse. Sorry, haven't been paying any attention to the witcher thread :)

My guess is, they're changing the game structure, all the core driving gameplay is maybe done, but the progression game is lacking. Probably they focus to much of social club aspect with real people, they realize there isn't much for single player progress.

So maybe they're adding new modes or changing how you progress through the game etc. Maybe some kind of career mode. Motorstorm game structure from the past has been super archaic, basically just a series of matches. No career mode, no car customization, no garage, not even money reward for completing matches. So if there's area they might ve lacking, it's on the wrapping of the gamr. Their core racing game and sense of speed have been top notch imo.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Get it right and make it fun (and 60FPS). Take all the time you need. Otherwise, you'll just be another boring racer.

iceatcs

Sony said "early 2014" in the initial delay announcement and that has driven expectations. Since that time we've been told to expect details "soon" or "shortly", off and on since January.
Think about it, they are devs that working all the time meaning time goes faster, hence their "soon" is much longer standard. I think devs would agree few months (6?) is soon/shortly

V_Ben

Banned
My guess is, they're changing the game structure, all the core driving gameplay is maybe done, but the progression game is lacking. Probably they focus to much of social club aspect with real people, they realize there isn't much for single player progress.

So maybe they're adding new modes or changing how you progress through the game etc. Maybe some kind of career mode. Motorstorm game structure from the past has been super archaic, basically just a series of matches. No career mode, no car customization, no garage, not even money reward for completing matches. So if there's area they might ve lacking, it's on the wrapping of the gamr. Their core racing game and sense of speed have been top notch imo.

That wouldn't surprise me actually.

Frodo

No. Not 60fps. If it's 60fps, regardless of how good it looks, it would've looked better if it was at 30.

>      Not so       <

image.php

Sorry, I had to. :)

I'm not going to make a new thread over this, because it could be a placeholder again, but I just got the following email from Amazon:

We have received new release date information related to your pre-ordered video game in the order you placed on November 19, 2013. The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and we want to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"DriveClub (PlayStation 4)"
Estimated arrival date: September 30, 2014

Rushy just retweeted this article: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

In the comments someone quoted an interview he gave to mercedes benz:
"One of the limiting factors is that traditional televisions don’t fill
your peripheral vision, and in a real car it’s your peripheral vision
that gives you a much better sensation of speed. Equally, this wider
view gives you the ability to look further ahead or into an upcoming
corner. We are however actively working on solving this challenge and
are confident it’s something we can improve to bring the game ever
closer to real life"
http://www5.mercedes-benz.com/en/zeitgeist/drive-club-interview-game-director-paul-rustchynsky/ (Page 8)

Sounds like VR^^

Koppai

Maybe the testers/audience thought it was garbage? Better they fix their mistake from the beginning. Sounds like they learned from Nintendo, chubadai-gaisha'd the game :p

Socky

Rushy just retweeted this article: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

In the comments someone quoted an interview he gave to mercedes benz:

http://www5.mercedes-benz.com/en/zeitgeist/drive-club-interview-game-director-paul-rustchynsky/ (Page 8)

Sounds like VR^^
Black bars confirmed. ;)

Whenever the game is done, I hope it is marked as a major release and doesn't just plop out as just-another-game-on-PS4. After waiting this long I want to see DC make a splash and if it takes a delay until autumn to do that I'd rather they did it, than just be like, 'yeah, Driveclub is out now, cough'.

Of course, being one of the first games to demo VR would be a feather in its cap, but the game has to excite beyond VR.

m@cross

Good they realized they need it to be better
Bad it will cause a delay
Worse that they thought it was good enough initially
Worst that it is likely because Forza made it look bad
Shit that this likely is not a tweak thing and feels like a year+ delay

EBreda

Well that's fing horrible.
Sony hyped the * out of this game during pre-launch window, promising it would be a great addition to PS+ library, people bought systems because of it, people started mocking KI because of it and it's marvelous F2P nature, and where are we now?

"Back to the drawing board".

Well, that's what I get for naively getting on the hype train for this racer and for the PS4 as well. It's been gathering dust since december.

Well that's fing horrible.
Sony hyped the * out of this game during pre-launch window, promising it would be a great addition to PS+ library, people bought systems because of it, people started mocking KI because of it and it's marvelous F2P nature, and where are we now?

"Back to the drawing board".

Well, that's what I get for naively getting on the hype train for this racer and for the PS4 as well. It's been gathering dust since december.
Yeah screw Sony for not forcing out an unfinished game

Top Bottom