• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony wh-1000xm3 or Pulse3D Headphones, help me choose

Topher

Gold Member
Finally got the PS5 and tried out the Pulse 3D. It sounds pretty damn good actually. But.....I'm still returning it. XM4 sounds better. But more than that, XM4 is so much more comfortable. The cushions on the Pulse 3D are a bit hard and I can feel myself getting tired of wearing it. That's me though. I got a head noggin.

devilNprada

I'm torn here, last night the missus pissed off to bed early so I decided to watch Infinity War on my newish telly, it wasn't long before the enivitable yell of "Will you turn that fucking down" came wallowing down the stairs...

So I've decided to buy a set of headphones that can connect to the TV (LGCX bt5.0) so that I can enjoy a few explosions without getting stern looks at breakfast the following morning.

I also plan on buying a PS5 later in the year so I'd like them to be compatible with the PS5 and it's tempest 3D engine which sounds on paper quite decent.

So chaps, what's the best set to go for? Are the XM3's compatible with this tempest engine or am I better going with the pulses? I mainly want to listen to movies late at night but also have the option to use them on the PS5, decide for me please cause I can't find a definite answer on the net as my googlefu is shite, cheers.

If it hasn't been mentioned already the mic does not work on the XM3's while wired...
I bought mine thinking it would be a good universal headset... I never really use it for that reason...

While the pulse was sold out I used it wired to the controller and used the controller mic.. But I just purchased the pulse (being shipped as we speak) now i need a decent headset to use for coms on the switch..

If anyone knows of a really good universal headset I would love some recamendations!

FrankWza

If it hasn't been mentioned already the mic does not work on the XM3's while wired...
I bought mine thinking it would be a good universal headset... I never really use it for that reason...

While the pulse was sold out I used it wired to the controller and used the controller mic.. But I just purchased the pulse (being shipped as we speak) now i need a decent headset to use for coms on the switch..

If anyone knows of a really good universal headset I would love some recamendations!
You could get shp9500 and a Vmoda boompro

Topher

Gold Member

That Creative BlueTooth adapter discussed will work for Switch as well. I'm actually really impressed with it.

devilNprada

shp9500 and a Vmoda boompro

I will look into the features but here would be the uses!
(wired with a mic, blue tooth to phone, wireless with PS)

Having a hard time finding one product to meet all needs...

Edit: Ahhhh I see the Vmoda boompro is a mic I could add to the VM3's while using wired...
Only thing missing is wireless to PS5 correct?
Soo I keep the Pulse 3D for PS use the VM3's blue tooth and get the mic to use the VM3's wired..
Does that work?

Last edited:

FrankWza

These look like the way to go... Ouch on the $329
love the two battery concept
I’d go with the Penrose. They were $249 for preorders but now $299. Initially there were issues that were fixed with a firmware update but they are small and need to be stretched. The steel series I believe use the same drivers as the rest of their line and i don’t like the way they sound, especially for that price. If the Penrose are comfortable enough for you they are hard to beat if you need to have the features you want.

Inxes

Ok that makes sense, so you keep it on and use it wired.
I have the XM3 and use them plugged to the controller, everything works same as wirelees. You can use ANC, Ambient Sound or nothing. On top of that you can just turn them off and save battery, sound quaility is a little worse IMO, but its another option.

devilNprada

I have the XM3 and use them plugged to the controller, everything works same as wirelees.
Mic doesn't work wired... I think Bo is right noise cancelling uses power and not active when wired...
Bose mic doesn't work wired either...
I’d go with the Penrose. They were $249 for preorders but now $299. Initially there were issues that were fixed with a firmware update but they are small and need to be stretched. The steel series I believe use the same drivers as the rest of their line and i don’t like the way they sound, especially for that price. If the Penrose are comfortable enough for you they are hard to beat if you need to have the features you want.

Penrose is a far better deal. $329 isn't so bad but Penrose > *

Uggh back ordered until end of February....
But yeah am going to return the pulse/arctis 5 combo i ordered for a pair of these... Thanks

Last edited:

FrankWza

Mic doesn't work wired... I think Bo is right noise cancelling uses power and not active when wired...
Bose mic doesn't work wired either...

Uggh back ordered until end of February....
But yeah am going to return the pulse/arctis 5 combo i ordered for a pair of these... Thanks
Did you try Amazon? You can also get the Penrose x. It works on PS5. It’s got green highlights instead of blue though.

FrankWza

Yeah.. Green available for Feb 1 delivery.. Blue sold out everywhere..
Tough Call...
There’s also the chance, though slight, that the x won’t support the PS5 at some point down the road. It’s not likely, but it’s not officially supported. It works because the PS5 uses non proprietary USB. I wouldn’t worry but I just thought I’d make you aware it’s a possibility. You can also get replacement earcups to change the color.

KAL2006

Banned
Neither

Pulse 3D audio quality is below average
XM3 is decent if you require ANC. If not it's not that great. Also double check if ANC works wired on the PS4 controller. As you don't want to use Bluetooth with the TV due to audio lag.

I reccomend just getting a decent normal wired headphones not gamer ones. The DualSense is decent enough to power wired headphones as long upto 50 ohms. Just get something between 30-50 ohms and don't overspend. Can get a decent pair for under £200 after that price point it's just diminishing returns.

amigastar

Neither

Pulse 3D audio quality is below average
XM3 is decent if you require ANC. If not it's not that great. Also double check if ANC works wired on the PS4 controller. As you don't want to use Bluetooth with the TV due to audio lag.

I reccomend just getting a decent normal wired headphones not gamer ones. The DualSense is decent enough to power wired headphones as long upto 50 ohms. Just get something between 30-50 ohms and don't overspend. Can get a decent pair for under £200 after that price point it's just diminishing returns.
Exactly, never really cared for these so called Gamer Headphones. I'd rather buy normal hifi headphones from AKG, Hifiman, Sennheiser etc.

Last edited:

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Please don't listen to anyone here mention DACS, WIRES, AMPS, ETC.
you don't need them and the sound quality difference is so minute you won't notice a damn thing.
Get the Pulses. Best volume, easiest set up, and works magically with the ps5.
Remember, there are a lot of clowns here who love tinkering and being a computer janitor with their hardware. Take the smart route and save yourself the endless tinkering, wires, and reading articles to defend your purchase.

FrankWza

you don't need them and the sound quality difference is so minute you won't notice a damn thing.
Remember, there are a lot of clowns here who love tinkering and being a computer janitor with their hardware. Take the smart route and save yourself the endless tinkering, wires, and reading articles to defend your purchase.
We’re way beyond this. The gamer ear has evolved my friend. There’s a select few that can hear the gremlins living inside of their PS5s chirping over surround sound systems and noise canceling headphones while playing bongos.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I haven't noticed any lag on my XM3's through gaming or watching movies, I just have everything stream wirelessly through the TV and it sounds great tbh

KAL2006

Banned

No one's saying to get amps or DACs. Can get a Philips Fidelio 2HR for pretty much the same price as a Pulse 3D which has 10x better audio quality and actually worth using for other things like listening to music. A Pulse 3D gas shit audio quality, more uncomfortable, terrible for other things like music. You don't need wireless because the DualSense is wireless and sticking a wire into it isn't a big deal.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Xm3 is really great, though I think the pulse should be better for ps5. Depends on what you want.
So far no buyers regret with the XM3's, i think for my situation they are perfect, i dont play MP so don't need to be able to communicate but want the best audio for the money. I need something that works for movies and games and so far i havent been able to notice any lag when watching or movies or playing my PS4 with the audio simply going via the TV to the XM3, as for when i eventually grab the PS5 i can plug them directly into the Duel sense to avail of the 3D audio if i so wish. Also been listening to a lot of hi-rez audio on them and they sound incredible, defo recommend.

Withnail

Now that there's a mic on the controller there's less value in gaming headsets IMO. The DualSense even has a mute button right there at your fingertips.

Just get a pair of nice comfy open back Sennheisers and plug them into the controller. Only drawback is the wire, but if you can live with that you're golden.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So far no buyers regret with the XM3's, i think for my situation they are perfect, i dont play MP so don't need to be able to communicate but want the best audio for the money. I need something that works for movies and games and so far i havent been able to notice any lag when watching or movies or playing my PS4 with the audio simply going via the TV to the XM3, as for when i eventually grab the PS5 i can plug them directly into the Duel sense to avail of the 3D audio if i so wish. Also been listening to a lot of hi-rez audio on them and they sound incredible, defo recommend.

Yep. Really the only advantage to me for the Pulse 3D is that the PS5 UI shows the battery life for the headset. Other than, XM3/4 feel better and sound better. These are top of the line headsets, for sure.

devilNprada

Thats right, it uses the dualsense one, but thats probably for the better lol
Yeah they are good headsets no doubt, I just don't want anyone going into thinking it's a high end universal headset like I did.

I need 3 headsets when I could have just originally gotten something like audeze penrose...

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
No one's saying to get amps or DACs. Can get a Philips Fidelio 2HR for pretty much the same price as a Pulse 3D which has 10x better audio quality and actually worth using for other things like listening to music. A Pulse 3D gas shit audio quality, more uncomfortable, terrible for other things like music. You don't need wireless because the DualSense is wireless and sticking a wire into it isn't a big deal.
Wireless isn't a big deal unless...you know, you use wireless and realize wires are bullshit. It's like using the bus is fine but owning a car is better.
Your option is 60 dollars MORE EXPENSIVE.
it's not wireless.
Open back design so you can hear everything in the household instead of the game.
And it's also not as loud unless you want to spend more money and make it more wired.
Bad deal all around.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Wireless isn't a big deal unless...you know, you use wireless and realize wires are bullshit. It's like using the bus is fine but owning a car is better.
it's not wireless.
Open back design so you can hear everything in the household instead of the game.
And it's also not as loud unless you want to spend more money and make it more wired.
Bad deal all around.
Everyone is different and they all have a place. Audiophile is a bullshit term anyway. Everyone has different shaped heads and ears and expectations or conveniences. I tried hard to get rid of the wires behind my system but in the end I just ended with my same setup with a second pair of headphones and enhanced it with some workarounds. The pulse are unbeatable for their features and pricepoint, But the platinum is far better and it’s 4 years old. Some love the arctis @$150 and I think they sound like the pulse but people find them comfortable so they have a better experience.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I connected my Koss porta pro and I am unsure what 3d setting is closer to my ears... It all sounds different but not closer. Maybe +1
What is the verdict on 3d? Leave enabled?
Porta pro are amazing headphones but maybe 3d simulation it's better in closed cans?

Btw headphones are louder than on ps4!

KAL2006

Banned
it's not wireless.
Bad deal all around.

See it's all depends on your situation.

I'm not a person who used headphones outside as I don't use public transport and travel with my car which has decent speakers so a wired open back headphones is perfect for me as I only use it in my house. In my house there are plenty of rooms that I can have a nice quiet session without hearing anything so don't need closed back headphones, and this is someone with a wife and child. I find open back headphones sound more natural, and my ears don't feel like they are defeaning and sweaty. As for wired over wireless, I can see the benefit of wireless if I were to use headphones outdoors but a small wire going into my DualSense controller, tablet, phone isn't exactly something that bothers me.

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm torn here, last night the missus pissed off to bed early so I decided to watch Infinity War on my newish telly, it wasn't long before the enivitable yell of "Will you turn that fucking down" came wallowing down the stairs...

So I've decided to buy a set of headphones that can connect to the TV (LGCX bt5.0) so that I can enjoy a few explosions without getting stern looks at breakfast the following morning.

I also plan on buying a PS5 later in the year so I'd like them to be compatible with the PS5 and it's tempest 3D engine which sounds on paper quite decent.

So chaps, what's the best set to go for? Are the XM3's compatible with this tempest engine or am I better going with the pulses? I mainly want to listen to movies late at night but also have the option to use them on the PS5, decide for me please cause I can't find a definite answer on the net as my googlefu is shite, cheers.
XM3 for sure, you can use it anywhere, great sound and noise cancelling etc.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I listened to some 3D clips on YouTube and tbh I wasn't that impressed, so unless Sony is doing something completely different with its tempest engine i cant see how they can make 2 noise sources either side of your head produce sounds that appear overhead, directly behind etc cause as far as i could tell it just felt like the sound was panning from left to right, i was more impressed with their FLAC recordings of old tunes

I coincidentally just bought the pulse 3D headset today in preparation for the PSVR2 next month and I have a XM3 already for some time.

To be honest, the XM3 sounds better as to no surprise it’s also 3.5 times more expensive. But when it comes to 3D audio I must say the Pulse 3D sounds waaaaay better using the WiFi dongle than the XM3 would ever sound. The sound just comes much more to life on the Pulse 3D.

So I’d say if you want to game specifically on the PS5 with 3D audio the Pulse 3D is the Best Buy, and also if you’re on a small budget. For anything else the XM3/XM4 will sound better and has ANC.

tmlDan

I coincidentally just bought the pulse 3D headset today in preparation for the PSVR2 next month and I have a XM3 already for some time.

To be honest, the XM3 sounds better as to no surprise it’s also 3.5 times more expensive. But when it comes to 3D audio I must say the Pulse 3D sounds waaaaay better using the WiFi dongle than the XM3 would ever sound. The sound just comes much more to life on the Pulse 3D.

So I’d say if you want to game specifically on the PS5 with 3D audio the Pulse 3D is the Best Buy, and also if you’re on a small budget. For anything else the XM3/XM4 will sound better and has ANC.
This is 2 years old.

Top Bottom