• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will refund consumers over ‘deceiving’ PlayStation Vita ads

Takao

Banned
If you're entitled, go here: https://vitaclaims.com/
Fill out PDF and mail it in.

http://www.business.ftc.gov/blog/20...claims-playstation-vita-and-tweets-deutsch-la

So what’s the straight story? The FTC says Sony exaggerated the Vita’s capabilities. In fact, users can’t easily access their PS3 games on the PS Vita. Most PS3 games can’t be played remotely because Sony didn’t specifically design the remote play feature into the PS3 system. For example, the popular PS3 game Killzone 3 was featured in a Sony video about remote play, but was never playable remotely on the Vita – and very few, if any, games of a similar size and complexity worked with the remote play feature.

What about pausing on the console and picking the game up where you left off with the PS Vita? Good luck with that because according to the complaint, the heavily hyped cross platform feature was available for only a few PS3 games.

Here's an example of how things actually worked – or didn't work – for many users. Ads for “MLB12: The Show” promised gamers "NEVER STOP PLAYING" and touted "Cross Platform Game Save" that let users "Play on your PS3 system and then continue your game on the go with PS Vita." But users could pause the game on their console and pick it up on their Vita only after they’d played the entire game – all 9 innings. In addition, Sony didn’t tell gamers that to use this feature, in most cases they had to buy two versions of the same game – one for their PS3 and another for their Vita.

What about Sony’s claim that users could engage in live, multiplayer gaming through 3G? Actual game play delivered less than the company promised. According to the complaint, PS Vita users are restricted to “asynchronous” multiplayer gaming – a fancy word for “My turn, then your turn” – and can’t engage in games that feature live, simultaneous play.

The FTC’s action against California-based Deutsch LA charges that the ad agency knew or should have known that certain cross platform and live, multiplayer gaming claims for the PS Vita were false. But the allegation of interest to most businesses focuses on the ad agency’s deceptive use of social media to promote the Sony product.

According to the complaint, about a month before the Vita debuted, one of Deutsch’s assistant account executives sent this email to all Deutsch employees:

Fellow Deutschers –

The PlayStation Team has been working hard on a campaign to launch Sony’s all-new handheld gaming device, the PS Vita, and we want YOU to help us kick things off!

The PS Vita's innovative features like 3G gaming, cross platform play and augmented reality will revolutionize the way people game. To generate buzz around the launch of the device, the PS Vita ad campaign will incorporate a #GAMECHANGER hashtag into nearly all creative executions. #GAMECHANGER will drive gamers to Twitter where they can learn more about the PS Vita and join in the conversation. The campaign starts on February 13th, and to get the conversation started, we’re asking YOU to Tweet about the PlayStation Vita using the #GAMECHANGER hashtag. Easy, right? . . .

In response, Deutsch employees used their personal Twitter accounts to hype the PS Vita through tweets like:

"One thing can be said about PlayStation Vita . . . it’s a #gamechanger"
"PS Vita [ruling] the world. Learn about it! us.playstation.com/psvita/#GAMECHANGER"
"Thumbs UP #GAMECHANGER – check out the new PlayStation Vita"
"This is sick . . . See the new PS Vita in action. The gaming #GameChanger"
"Got the chance to get my hands on a PS Vita and I'm amazed how great the graphcs are. It's definitely a #gamechanger!"

The complaint alleges that Deutsch’s failure to disclose that tweets were from employees of Sony’s ad agency was deceptive.

Sony stretched the truth of the PlayStation Vita’s capabilities in early advertisements for the handheld, and now the company is paying the price for misleading consumers.

Sony Computer Entertainment has agreed to settle with the Federal Trade Commission over claims that the game maker engaged in false advertising for the Vita. The FTC took issue with Sony’s claim that the Vita enabled gamers to pause any PS3 game and pick up playing it from anywhere using the Vita’s “cross-save” capability. The problem is that cross-save only worked for a handful of PS3 games, and the functionality varied from release to release, but the advertising made it seem like it worked for every PS3 title. Sony also failed to mention that you needed to buy both the PS3 and Vita versions to use this feature. The FTC also also claimed that Sony implied gamers could use 3G wireless on Vita to play live multiplayer games when that never actually worked.

The terms of the settlement prevents Sony from making misleading claims in the future. The company must also refund $25 in cash or credit or a $50 merchandise voucher to anyone who bought a Vita before June 1, 2012. If you’re eligible, Sony will send you a notice by email.

“As we enter the year’s biggest shopping period, companies need to be reminded that if they make product promises to consumers — as Sony did with the ‘game changing’ features of its PS Vita — they must deliver on those pledges,” FTC director of consumer protection Jessica Rich said. “The FTC will not hesitate to act on behalf of consumers when companies or advertisers make false product claims.”

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/25/sony-will-refund-consumers-over-deceiving-playstation-vita-ads/

The FTC's complaint against Sony charges the company with making false claims about the PS Vita's "cross platform gaming" or "cross-save" feature. Sony claimed, for example, that PS Vita users could pause any PS3 game at any time and continue to play the game on their PS Vita from where they left off. This feature, however, was only available for a few PS3 games, and the pause-and-save capability described in the ads varied significantly from game to game. For example, with respect to "MLB 12: The Show," consumers could only save the game to the PS Vita after finishing the entire nine-inning game on their PS3. In addition, Sony failed to inform consumers that to use this feature, purchasers had to buy two versions of the same game – one for their PS3 and one for the PS Vita.

The FTC's complaint also alleges that Sony's PS Vita ads falsely implied that consumers who owned the 3G version of the device (which cost an extra $50 plus monthly fees) could engage in live, multi-player gaming through a 3G network. In fact, consumers could not engage in live, multiplayer gaming.

The complaint further alleges that Sony also falsely claimed that with the "remote play" feature, PS Vita users could easily access their PS3 games on their handheld consoles. In reality, most PS3 games were not remote playable on the PS Vita. Sony also misled consumers by falsely claiming that PS Vita users could remotely play the popular PS3 game, Killzone 3, on the PS Vita. In fact, Sony never enabled remote play on its Killzone 3 game title, and very few, if any, PS3 games of similar size and complexity were remote playable on the PS Vita.

Alx

So what was deceptive about those ads ? I don't remember people complaining about them (and that's saying a lot, around here :p ).

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What are they using to determine eligibility? Whether you've had a Vita registered to your PSN account before that date?

Jonboy

Cool, thanks. I'll take my $50---wait....what did they falsely advertise?

Edit: Here it is.

The FTC took issue with Sony’s claim that the Vita enabled gamers to pause any PS3 game and pick up playing it from anywhere using the Vita’s “cross-save” capability.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Well with Vita sales being what they are in the west, at least this isn't as expensive as it could have been for Sony.

Gotta look on the bright side right?

Kerned

Banned
They ran ads showing people basically remote playing PS3 games over 3G. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't possible.

Maybe they were promising games.

Not-This-Shit-Again-anime-28533251-604-340.jpg

nampad

The news omits the reason, lol. So maybe the FTC cares about console gaming on the go and is not happy with all the indie games we got lately?

Sucks that this only happens in the US all the time. I also want some money.

How would they even know when you bought a Vita?

Activated your account on the Vita and went online afterwards.

Isotope

Dammit, I sold my Vita that would have qualified for a 2000 model a month ago. Free credit would have been nice. :(

How would they even tell when you bought your Vita that would qualify? Show them a receipt that you (probably) no longer have?

Oersted

The Federal Trade Commission says Sony's advertising claims about the "game changing" technology features of the PS Vita were deceiving. For example, the FTC says Sony wrongly claimed that people could play "cross platform" ? by starting a game on a PlayStation 3 and then continuing it 'on the go,' right where they left off, on a PS Vita.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/sony-settles-govt-gaming-console-ads-27168863

Edit:

Official statement:

FTC Complaint Against Sony Computer Entertainment America

The FTC’s complaint against Sony charges the company with making false claims about the PS Vita’s “cross platform gaming” or “cross-save” feature. Sony claimed, for example, that PS Vita users could pause any PS3 game at any time and continue to play the game on their PS Vita from where they left off. This feature, however, was only available for a few PS3 games, and the pause-and-save capability described in the ads varied significantly from game to game. For example, with respect to “MLB 12: The Show,” consumers could only save the game to the PS Vita after finishing the entire nine-inning game on their PS3. In addition, Sony failed to inform consumers that to use this feature, purchasers had to buy two versions of the same game – one for their PS3 and one for the PS Vita.

The FTC’s complaint also alleges that Sony’s PS Vita ads falsely implied that consumers who owned the 3G version of the device (which cost an extra $50 plus monthly fees) could engage in live, multi-player gaming through a 3G network. In fact, consumers could not engage in live, multiplayer gaming.

The complaint further alleges that Sony also falsely claimed that with the “remote play” feature, PS Vita users could easily access their PS3 games on their handheld consoles. In reality, most PS3 games were not remote playable on the PS Vita. Sony also misled consumers by falsely claiming that PS Vita users could remotely play the popular PS3 game, Killzone 3, on the PS Vita. In fact, Sony never enabled remote play on its Killzone 3 game title, and very few, if any, PS3 games of similar size and complexity were remote playable on the PS Vita.

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...ntertainment-america-provide-consumer-refunds

What a pointless lazy article when they don't even mention what the aspect they failed to deliver on was.

The Federal Trade Commission says Sony's advertising claims about the "game changing" technology features of the PS Vita were deceiving. For example, the FTC says Sony wrongly claimed that people could play "cross platform" ? by starting a game on a PlayStation 3 and then continuing it 'on the go,' right where they left off, on a PS Vita.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/sony-settles-govt-gaming-console-ads-27168863

Thank you. I don't recall any particular marketing, although I do recall expectations around launch that a lot of PS3 games would be playable via PS3 Remote Play. I was actually looking into it recently myself.

Sir TapTap

Uh how do they know if I got it at launch? I bought mine feb 2012, don't want to miss out in the PSN cash

What didn't they deliver on? Bought my Vita at launch and it's been everything I thought it was advertised as....

Pretty much but uh I'll take that $50 on PSN

FireCloud

Would be nice to know how we were deceived.

Wonder if they will require proof of purchase? If so, I've got to fish out my receipt. I'd opt for the $50 merchandise voucher....more Vita games!

Shit, where will they find the $700 to cover this?!

Damn! I laughed at that harder than I probably should have. Now I'll have to make it up to my Vita somehow...where is that microfiber cloth?

Top Bottom