• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Available in 43 inches (VA panel) and 49 inches (IPS panel). 43 inch is 650 USD and 49 inch is 800 USD.

The EUROPEAN labeling of this TV is : EU XD80xx (the xx value changes depending on tv color, remote type etc., non-important things)

Rtings posted a review of it, and it rates highest in a lot of the areas most pertaining to gaming.

It's rated highly specifically for gaming, it also does pretty well as a dedicated PC monitor.

Great for gamers. Very responsive TV, has low input lag (w/HDR turned on) and is great at handling fast motion. Picture quality is good.

Full review here
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

43 inch - 650$ / 49 inch - 800$ (at amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWIEO2E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The review and TV specifications both indicate it is 10 bit color depth, and supports HDR10. Check the input specifications section of the review.

Update 09/08/2016: Our original test was showing an incorrect color depth of 8 bit due to some incorrect drivers on our system, but after some correction to our test apparatus, we tested again the color depth and we can confirm that the Sony X800D do in fact have an 10 bit panel. Also supports 444 chroma.

Inputs Specifications
HDR10
: Yes

Dolby Vision
: No
5.1 Passthrough ARC Dolby Digital
5.1 Passthrough ARC DTS
5.1 Passthrough Optical Dolby Digital
5.1 Passthrough Optical DTS
HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwith : Yes
4k@60hz: HDMI ports 2 and 3 only.
ARC : Yes (HDMI 3)
USB 3 : Yes (1)
HDCP 2.2 : Yes
CEC : Yes
MHL : No
Variable Analog Audio Out : Yes

BASIC SET UP INFORMATION *************PLEASE READ**************

1) Connect your Pro or other 4k/HDR gaming devices into either HDMI ports 2 or 3. HDMI port 1 and 4 will not allow 4k/60hz w/HDR at full 4k.
2) Turn on Enhanced HDMI. Click the home button on your Sony's remote, scroll all the way down to settings. Go to input. Change HDMI to ENHANCED. This turns on 444 and HDR at full 4k.
3) Go to your PS4's settings -> Sound and Screen -> Make sure everything is on automatic. And then go to video output information and make sure it says : 2160p - 60hz. RGB HDR: 2k/4k. If it says something other than that, something is wrong.
4) You can leave many of the PS4's and TV's settings on auto. The TV and Pro do a good job of communicating with each other for the optimal picture depending on the software being used.

5) When playing HDR enabled content, the TV should automatically increase brightness (which is what it calls it's backlight setting) to MAX. If not, do it manually. Of course, when you exit out of HDR enabled content, the brightness should go back to your standard defaulted non HDR settings..)
6) Set the TV to GAME MODE pitcture setting to reduce input lag.

UraMallas

It doesn't appear to be able to do HDR10. Also, there is conflicting info. The 2016 model that you linked says 1 HDMI below in the comparison and the 2015 model shows 4. Hmm.

I'm no screen geologist. Isn't the screen size and resolution supposed to reflect on where you are sitting? If not I feel like a moron getting another 27"1440p monitor for my desk instead of a 4k.

It doesn't appear to be able to do HDR10. Also, there is conflicting info. The 2016 model that you linked says 1 HDMI below in the comparison and the 2015 model shows 4. Hmm.

The review says it does. And I trust rtings far more than some bro's updating a reddit list. Under input specifications it says HDR10. It also confirms in the review that it has 10 bit color depth. So yes, it is HDR10. That reddit list isn't saying it's not, it's just not been updated yet to include it's support.

Inputs Specifications
HDR10

Dolby Vision
5.1 Passthrough ARC DTS

Here is a list of current 10 bit versus 8 bit TV's. The model linked in the OP, the Sony X800D has 10 bit color depth support for HDR.
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gradient

Gonna sell me a kidney for the KS8000, or hope it goes on sale on Amazon for Black Friday :p

So I saw some mention in other threads that you won't notice the 4k benefit unless the display is a certain size and above. If true will a 49 inch cut it?

sviri

There are so many caveats when it come to upgrading a HT system, it really sucks. For instance... I want to buy a PS4 Pro but would need to get a 4K TV to get the most out of it. But then, even though my receiver supports 4K pass-through, it uses an older hdcp standard so I'd likely have to upgrade that too.

It's a whole can of worms that I wish I didn't want to reopen every few years.

hazey_flakes

Neo Member
Did Sony sort out their issues with Android being really buggy? I purchased one of their 4K TVs last year, and it was so bad I returned it. Freezes, and reboots on a regular bases, and a ton of missing features, such as hdd recording.

They've also listed an update dated September 8th, 2016:

Update 09/08/2016: Our original test was showing an incorrect color depth of 8 bit due to some incorrect drivers on our system, but after some correction to our test apparatus, we tested again the color depth and we can confirm that the Sony X800D do in fact have an 10 bit panel.

What is HDR10? Goddamn, I feel so confused about 4K resolution stuff. I thought there was only HDR? Or is HDR10 just an extended name for HDR?

...I'm still not even sure I understand what HDR is. I need to read more about this, was thinking of getting a 4K TV this holiday.

The review says it does. Under input specifications.

Inputs Specifications
HDR10

Dolby Vision
5.1 Passthrough ARC DTS
The Sony specs page and the owners manual both day nothing about HDR.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What is HDR10? Goddamn, I feel so confused about 4K resolution stuff. I thought there was only HDR? Or is HDR10 just an extended name for HDR?

...I'm still not even sure I understand what HDR is. I need to read more about this, was thinking of getting a 4K TV this holiday.
There's 2 competing HDR standards (think bluray vs hddvd), HDR10 is one of them and the other is Dolby Vision.
XWbQvXx.jpg

http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-vs-hdr10-how-to-survive-the-hdr-tv-format-war/

Cartman86

Banned
Just started going down the rabbit hole of trying to find a TV that has great HDR and 4K (because right now that's the only real reason to spend a bunch of money), but also supports native 120hz at 1080p, supports 4:4:4 chroma and has good input lag. This is a nightmare.

Hold not yet GAF I have a strong suspicion the 2017 models for Vizio and for Samsung will a worthwhile step up.

Edit: Ohhh... Nevermind. The Vizio is 60ms with HDR, I forgot someone mentioned that already.

Still I'd wait for the Vizio 2017 P series unless there's an insane deal on these during the holidays.

Cartman86

Banned
Hold not yet GAF I have a strong suspicion the 2017 models for Vizio and for Samsung will a worthwhile step up.

Edit: Ohhh... Nevermind wait for best. The Vizio is 60ms with HDR, I forgot someone mentioned that already.

Still I'd wait for the Vizio 2017 P series unless there's an insane deal on these during the holidays.

Hmmm that might just be what I want...

Heel

I was looking at this review, but no local dimming made me wonder how good the HDR would actually be, despite it scoring pretty well in that category. Aren't these in direct conflict with each other?

Maybe someone with some expertise could go into this a bit.

Yeah, the more I read into it, the more I want to wait until 2017 models. HDR formats and HDR latency work themselves out across brands, and prices bottom out even more.

Dante316

HDR usually gets patched in that's y it's probably there. Same thing happened to my Sony tv last year. It was only updated in. Just a guess it could be similar situation.

longdi

Banned
I guess this is good for PC or room use. There are no 4K monitors that do HDR sadly.

Then again, most HDTV will drop to 4:2:2 IIRC when you connect a PC. You will get slightly jaggy text

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HDR usually gets patched in that's y it's probably there. Same thing happened to my Sony tv last year. It was only updated in. Just a guess it could be similar situation.
HDR wasn't patched in. It's always had it.

We sell them at work. It has a giant 4K HDR logo on it.

Hmmm that might just be what I want...

My bad there I wouldn't recommend it at this point for gaming in HDR. Missing some key features especially for PC like 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, proper latency with HDR which are deal breaker IMO right now. I do think they'll have that sorted in their 2017 edition though. FALD TV's are great too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Will look into this. Have been looking for a oc monitor upgrade and I love this brand.

Jimrpg

I can't believe how fast 4k tvs have dropped in price... This should make 1080p tvs cheaper, but they are so close in price that it would make more sense to get the 4k. I mean how much is a Sony 1080p 43" TV? Gotta be $400?

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is what to do with my old 42" HD TV (720p) that no one wants. Feels weird to just throw it in the trash, Had 10 good years with it and hasn't missed a beat.

Top Bottom