• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X900E settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

derFeef

What's going to look better on the TV, 1080p upscaled or 1440p upsacled (PC source)? I read once that double pixel is better scaled up but depends on the scaler.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ill be honest, after playing Tomb raider, FFXV and especially Horizon:ZD TLOU really looks like shit for HDR.I dont think its the tv.

it doesn't bad in the outdoor areas.

there are just some indoor sections in that game that look like shit in general. try replaying the downtown level. i don't know if its a bug or what but that black levels on the clicker building is fucked. hdr makes it even worse because it bumps up the brightness in whats an already washed out looking area

RedAssedApe

Banned
jesus...90% of the youtube videos on this tv are that QA guy and some other guy putting up videos trolling him called OLEDTvMasterRace. lol wtf

CSan Calibration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG0J5V1tg74

Basically

- Game Mode
- Color 55
- Brightness 30
- Constrast 95
- Local Dimming High, xtend range low
- Temperature : Warm (or Expert 1)
- Smooth Gradation Low

I tried this guy's settings in both Cinema Pro for movies and Games (Not that different from what I had) and they do look phenomenal. Colours really pop. I highly recommend them. You might want to adjust the brightness on your Cinema Pro settings depending on the light level in your room.

JB1981

I really don't recommend you suggest for people to use those post-processing effects like black adjust and adv contrast enhance. They are especially bad to recommend on a gaming website where games already do their own post-effects. You also want to keep the response time as low as possible, so leaving that stuff off is also recommended.

Should also note that brightness is literally up to the users choice and that there is no correct brightness. It should be kept on the low side to reduce eye strain in a dark room and kept high for use in a bright room (like a living room).

Also noting that you suggest turning up the sharpness which is a super no-go for games. If you want a sharper image, I would more-so recommend turning reality creation to auto. Do note, that while details will be sharper, you will get dithering on nice 4K edges. It's nice for non-native resolution games, so maybe try and only use it then.

Really, use RTINGS settings besides the color calibration. They are the truly tested settings and will get you the most accurate picture you can get without tools. I do, however, suggest that everyone switch the color temperature from "Expert 1" to "Warm"

A lot of games/media author their content on the warm side of things, but what I've found is that Expert 1 is pretty much a "piss filter" it yellows nice blue skies and turns whites to yellow. Change it to Warm and see if you like it.

Great post

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone report how the X900E manages the ultrawide 3440x1440 resolution [in 1:1 pixel mode] when connected to the PC? :)

Since I cannot get 43XD80xx, my only hope for upgrade is 49XE9005, but I'm waiting for the price to go down a bit more.

Salaadin

This tv and/or the ps4 pro seems to have issues working together. It's dropping sound and video constantly. When I set ps4 video res to YUV420, it fixed it. Is this the correct path to take or is there a better solution?

RedAssedApe

Banned
This tv and/or the ps4 pro seems to have issues working together. It's dropping sound and video constantly. When I set ps4 video res to YUV420, it fixed it. Is this the correct path to take or is there a better solution?

setting ps4 to auto should swap between rgb for sdr and yuv422 for hdr iirc. maybe this?

connectivity is handled with four HDMI inputs, though only inputs 2 and 3 offer the full 18.0Gb/sec bandwidth needed for HDR and WCG content

Klotera

So, if anyone is using a bias lighting strip on this TV, the USB ports will randomly power on and off while the TV itself is off (technically standby, I guess). So, you may want to get a switch like this. Just added this and works well.

Something must be wrong. Mine is set to auto and I have no issues with dropping video (my audio is going straight from my PS4 to my receiver via optical, but video goes straight to TV).

Wow, the input lag on this TV outside of game mode is abysmal.

On the x800d there wasn't much of a difference on game and non game mode. But for this tv game mode is a must. I wonder what kind of extra image processing this things doing in order to have such a difference.

Salaadin

Something must be wrong. Mine is set to auto and I have no issues with dropping video (my audio is going straight from my PS4 to my receiver via optical, but video goes straight to TV).
It was fine until I switched inputs. After changing back, it looked like the ps4 didn't know what it was sending or the tv didn't know what it was receiving.

You know that little box that appears in the upper right to tell you what resolution you're at, etc? The one that also appears when you hit "display" on the remote?
That box kept appearing as the video and sound was dropping. It kept changing between "3840x2160" and "3840x2160 4k". I eventually got into my ps4 settings and the moment I forced 2160p YUV40, the problem vanished.

Alebelly

Can someone report how the X900E manages the ultrawide 3440x1440 resolution [in 1:1 pixel mode] when connected to the PC? :)

Since I cannot get 43XD80xx, my only hope for upgrade is 49XE9005, but I'm waiting for the price to go down a bit more.

I just tried it, set it to 3440x1440 through Nvidia control panel, desktop recognized it with no issue, just get the slightly less crisp picture than the native 4k.

I booted up Prey and was able to switch to 3440x1440 in-game, and it worked just fine. Pretty cool actually.

edit: had to switch to borderless window mode for Prey to display properly

Tell me how it is and what resolutions you are going to test and how they look. I am planning to do this as well!

Terribly so far as my efforts to create custom resolutions have failed for tonight. Keep in mind however that despite possessing a degree in compsci I am still somehow a huge idiot and routinely fail to accomplish basic things.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Terribly so far as my efforts to create custom resolutions have failed for tonight. Keep in mind however that despite possessing a degree in compsci I am still somehow a huge idiot and routinely fail to accomplish basic things.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe the rtings review of this TV on YouTube shows how to do this.

derFeef

Why do you want to use custom resolutions? Just curious - wouldnt 1080p, 1440p or 2160p not work?

DieH@rd

Banned
Why do you want to use custom resolutions? Just curious - wouldnt 1080p, 1440p or 2160p not work?

Few custom resolutions are important for PC gaming, they add more choice when setting up best rendering experience.

Ultrawidescreen [3440x1440] for more immersive FOV in gaming, 3200x1800 and 3456x1944 for games that require a bit less pixels to become playable in "near 4K".

You can see how these last two resolutions can be helpful on PC here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rGNfveTD4Q

derFeef

Few custom resolutions are important for PC gaming, they add more choice when setting up best rendering experience.

Ultrawidescreen [3440x1440] for more immersive FOV in gaming, 3200x1800 and 3456x1944 for games that require a bit less pixels to become playable in "near 4K".

You can see how these last two resolutions can be helpful on PC here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rGNfveTD4Q

That makes sense, well not to me, but I can see why one would want that. The Evil Within was right in the first palce, eh? ;)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just ordered an X930E (there was a deal on it that effectively brought it down below the X900E in price), would stuff in this thread be more or less applicable to it as well?

leehom

how? where? and if from a retailer how come you didn't tell any of us? lol

Only a few people would be eligible for this deal and the coupon was posted on slickdeals. AAFES aka exchange or PX had a sale on this TV for $1,700 and a one time use coupon for 17% off.

No tax, free shipping = $1,411.

leehom

How do I turn on HDR with my PS4 pro? I tried various tv/ps4p settings and it keeps telling me HDR on my TV is not supported.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I thought the x930 was the best mid range. It has a lower input lag and higher brightness for hdr. Doesn't rtings say the x930 is the second best or is the x900 the best mid range?!?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I thought the x930 was the best mid range. It has a lower input lag and higher brightness for hdr. Doesn't rtings say the x930 is the second best or is the x900 the best mid range?!?

they don't consider the x930 to be midrange due to pricing. its runner up for best tv

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe the rtings review of this TV on YouTube shows how to do this.

Not quite, but I got it in the end. Turns out my cable wasn't actually a high speed HDMI cable despite thinking it was - so I could only do 4k 60hz at 4:2:1 to begin with, regardless of HDR settings.

The TV had to be set to Enhanced HDMI format (with respect to the HDMI input being used by the PC) in order to get the Custom Resolution Utility to work in the first place. Then the custom resolutions started working with CRU.

However, if you had enhanced format with a non-high speed cable, and tried to use 4k 60hz, it went wonkyyyyy. Switching cables fixed this issue, allowing for both to be used at the same time.

1440p works fine (although for some reason it's capped at 30hz by default and I'll have to fiddle with settings to get it to recieve 1440p60hz) but 1800p offers a sharper presentation, acting as a half step between 1440p and 2160p for games where I have headroom at 1440, but 2160 is too much for my video card.

My custom resolutions currently are 1800p and 1944p, although I don't think the latter will get much use and I might replace it with something like 1656p.

leehom

Make sure you have HDMI enhanced in your TV settings.

I left it on auto, from the articles I read that should be sufficient. Went ahead and ordered a few hdmi hdr high speed cables. If that doesn't work, might be the PSVR box that's holding it back???

Edit: Did some research and it does appear the PSVR is incapable of displaying HDR.

Edit2: Fml, HDR works now! Had to plug the system directly to the TV. Oh well, can't cancel my order of cables and I'll eat the cost.

DieH@rd

Banned
How do I turn on HDR with my PS4 pro? I tried various tv/ps4p settings and it keeps telling me HDR on my TV is not supported.

Use 18gbit HDMI [2.0x] cable
Use HDMI ports 2 or 3 on TV
Turn on enhanced HDMI format on TV

I left it on auto, from the articles I read that should be sufficient. Went ahead and ordered a few hdmi hdr high speed cables. If that doesn't work, might be the PSVR box that's holding it back???

PSVR splitter does not support HDR passthrough, but there are solutions
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340168

Stanng243

How is the 4k Sony app? I'm considering upgrading to a sony tv. I've heard you can upgrade hd movies to 4k through the app. Can anyone tell me how that works or how much it costs?

Top Bottom