• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony your 4.50 update breaks WiFi

ZehDon

Gold Member
Yeah, this update stopped both my PS4Pro and my OGPS4 from connecting to my WiFi at all. Never had a single issue before this. Thought it was just my setup. Crazy that this was rolled out in this state.

Formosa

Yeah, this update stopped both my PS4Pro and my OGPS4 from connecting to my WiFi at all. Never had a single issue before this. Thought it was just my setup. Crazy that this was rolled out in this state.
Ya some people are not able to connect through wifi at all. And some will get lag/rubberbanding. While some will have no issues at all.

Mine is pretty busted, yeah. It works well for a while, but then it just stops working. I can fix it by redoing my connection settings, but that's stupid. It also really screws up PS Vue.

Sony's wifi/internet hardware is a joke.

I have a 500mbps down/50mbps up connection and only get like7-10mbps up using wifi on my son's Playstation 4 which is literally right behind the router and the wall is wood panel and 2x4s(not load bearing or plaster) so the signal shouldn't be downgrading that much. Also, when I connect a lan cable to my ps4 in the living room into the cable modem(the ps4 is literally 3 feet away from it) I only get like 100mbps down and 10mpbs up if I'm lucky. A freaking LAN CABLE! I even had tech support come out from the cable company and they literally spent hours at my house trying to find the problem only to realize it *has* to be the PS4's hardware for internet that's the problem as my computer routinely shows the 500mbps down and 50mbps up speeds.
Are you sure something else in your LAN setup isn't limiting the bandwidth? I find it awfully suspicious that it peaks at 100 Mbps. That could easily be a cable in the chain or even a port in the chain not capable of gigabit.

Like what? Just once after the update I had a funny signal issue that made me raise an eyebrow. Hasnt happened again, though.

I started up Horizon ZD and things just didn't look the same. I checked the game settings and HDR was enabled, everything looked normal. Then I checked the PS4Pro's output settings and it was outputting 1080p with HDR off.
I restarted the console and it went back to normal, autodetecting 4k HDR. It's got me suspicious now and every time I turn it on I check to make sure the output is alright.

Watching or playing something the video signal just goes out and maybe 30 sec later goes back on never did it before the update.

I'm randomly losing internet connection (not frequently) and my internet on the ps4 all of the sudden became pretty laggy once I updated to 4.50. I honestly thought something happened to my internet, but everything else is working perfectly fine in my house. This is really frustrating as trying to play anything online is really laggy :/

5g on my Pro is working just fine. Now that you mention it my son's og PS4 has been dropping connection a fair bit since the update but i never put it together until now

kennyamr

no issues to report here.

but still, I hope Sony is already working on this.

I'm guessing people have already reached Customer support.

I'm wondering how widespread this is.

Boss Man

So my PS4 Pro video/audio randomly drops already, and now wifi doesn't work. My current expectation from them is that they won't even acknowledge it, and may fix it silently if they can. Never again Sony.

Kieli

Yeah, my WiFi has been REALLY bad after the update. I can't load Netflix and the Shop is extremely slow.

Rozart

So, that's why my PS4 keeps disconnecting?? I mean my internet has always been pretty spotty but I was so confused because the wifi on my laptop and phone were working just fine.

tsundoku

Are you sure something else in your LAN setup isn't limiting the bandwidth? I find it awfully suspicious that it peaks at 100 Mbps. That could easily be a cable in the chain or even a port in the chain not capable of gigabit.
Its probaby the "network card" in the ps4 capped at 100/10. The only real network issue with ps4s is when you get dumped to one of Sonys poverty servers and have to keep restarting the download so it doesnt go at 3mbps/0.3mbps
You absolutely dont really need more then like 15/1 on the ps4 considering the usual download caps and the absurdly small amounts of data your ps4 is actually downloading/uploading in a multiplayer game and voice chat

Rubberbanding in every game sounds like default behavior for a stock day 1 console on day 1 stable firmware on wifi. Check external sources like your neighbors or family members getting a bunch of wifi devices. On your own home network give every device a static ip per its mac address and seperate out your devices so that only the ones that really need the long range of 2.4 band or the lower interference/lower range of the 5ghz band are on those bands (almost every home router these days and especially from internet providers has dual band functionality)

Although if Sony was actually messing with network functionality in this update and actually trying to fix the slow download issue finally i'm all for trial by fire breaking some peoples tenuous wifi setups.

Its probaby the "network card" in the ps4 capped at 100/10. The only real network issue with ps4s is when you get dumped to one of Sonys poverty servers and have to keep restarting the download so it doesnt go at 3mbps/0.3mbps
You absolutely dont really need more then like 15/1 on the ps4 considering the usual download caps and the absurdly small amounts of data your ps4 is actually downloading/uploading in a multiplayer game and voice chat

No, the network port on the PS4 is definitely gigabit capable so that's not it. I think something in the chain is capping it at 100 mbps since that's quite a coincidence that is the rate being claimed to be capped at. I've seen people use powerline adapters that claim 400 mbps allowed only to have a 100 mbps port on the adapter and people wonder why they can't get close to the marketing on the box. It's easy enough for people to use a switch or even a router that isn't gigabit capable when wired and they don't realize they've introduced a bottleneck in their network setup.

tsundoku

No, the network port on the PS4 is definitely gigabit capable so that's not it. I think something in the chain is capping it at 100 mbps since that's quite a coincidence that is the rate being claimed to be capped at. I've seen people use powerline adapters that claim 400 mbps allowed only to have a 100 mbps port on the adapter and people wonder why they can't get close to the marketing on the box. It's easy enough for people to use a switch or even a router that isn't gigabit capable when wired and they don't realize they've introduced a bottleneck in their network setup.
bizarre that its gigabit capable. were they planning to allow for local lan multiplayer in the system's development?

RedFury

Fuck, could be my issue. Just spent 170 on a new modem and router. Now that I think about it started having issues after update. Thought it was ISP so I got a new box for them and same. Got frustrated and bought new shit today. Huh...

Luschient

Does the update affect your router itself, in some magical way? I suddenly have lots of connectivity issues with all my devices using my Wi-Fi network, causing me to reset my router/modem every 1 hour or so.
You know what, I've been having this exact same issue. I never thought it had to do with the update but I'm going to unplug the ps4 tomorrow and see if the router quits freaking out.

bizarre that its gigabit capable. were they planning to allow for local lan multiplayer in the system's development?
Well two reasons. First, it's possible to download faster than 100 mbps through the internet. Second, you can do file transfers and backups over LAN.

Rozart

You know what, I've been having this exact same issue. I never thought it had to do with the update but I'm going to unplug the ps4 tomorrow and see if the router quits freaking out.

Wait. Would unplugging the PS4 really fix the problem?

Strange, if anything the update has bolstered my connectivity and speed. I know that doesn't help the folks affected, but it's clearly not a universal problem.

Cyph3rZA

The issue was highlighted albeit lightly in the firmware release date thread. It is why i haven't updated and have not played Rocket League in over a week :(. I remote play and have no TV [repairs, now unfixable] so even resetting wireless is a no go if at home.

Waiting for a fix like you guys :).

hm, I do remember this weekend I was right in the middle of my Uncharted 4 match, where I was COMPLETELY disconnected from my wifi. Not just on my Ps4. is that what OP is talking about?

I hope Sony fixes this, but please do yourself a favor and switch to Ethernet or HomePlugs/Powerline if you can. Wi-Fi is inherently unreliable for online gaming.

I tried setting my WiFi to B/G like the article suggested and it actually worked. Fixed my BF1 lag problems. But then I have to keep switching my router settings back after playing so I can get better speeds for my other WiFi devices. Hope this gets fixed soon.

MikeyB

The number of days between 4.50 update and a fix should be added to all PS Plus subscriptions.

We pay for online service and shouldn't have to mess with our other devices' connectivity for their mistake.

I encourage you to tweet @AskPlaystation to demand extra days. Let's make it happen.

Top Bottom