• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony your 4.50 update breaks WiFi

Formosa

I really can't find a thread about this major issue about the new PS4/PRO 4.50 update from last Thursday. A lot of players are experiencing lag/rubberbanding, not being able to connect to wifi after this update.

Here is a post from Kotaku which will better explain the problem:
https://kotaku.com/how-to-solve-the-ps4s-4-50-network-problem-until-sony-a-1793305127

I've realized lag/rubberbanding since the last update myself and thought my router...etc. Didn't think that it would be caused by the PS4 update because I didn't see a thread about this on gaf. I've spent so much time searching for the problem (reformat my PRO, reinstall Overwatch, Reset my router, and even bought a new freaking router 2 days ago).

Are you also having the same problem with your PlayStation 4.50? ROARRR
If you are also having network issues after the update. Please share them here:
http://community.us.playstation.com...blems-with-4-50/td-p/46185804/highlight/false

I have not noticed a problem, however I do not really play online with my PS4. However apps such as Youtube and Crunchyroll still work fine and my Wi-Fi does not disconnect.

randome

A lot of people couldn't even connect. I updated and can connect fine but when playing overwatch I'm noticing a lot of connection problem symbols.

Formosa

A lot of people couldn't even connect. I updated and can connect fine but when playing overwatch I'm noticing a lot of connection problem symbols.

I am experiencing rubberbanding with overwatch every 10 sec with wifi. Now I am using ethernet and no lag. But I prefer the wifi becuase it's wireless.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Noticed a bit more lag recently, yeah. Also, that Media Player constantly messes up songs, reading them as corrupt partway through and then not letting you go back to try playing them again without closing the whole application. Such a pain.

MazeHaze

Banned
Ah is this why I kept getting teleporting discs in Disc Jam yesterday? It was my first time playing I just figured their netcode sucked.

AwRy108

My OG PS4 was on the beta firmware for the 4.5 update, and I was only able to connect to the PS Vue service if I manually ran the Network Connection Test before launching the app; and, even when it did work, my connection results were very sporadic (though my d/l speeds always came back way slower than they should've been).

The official firmware seems to have made things a bit better (I no longer have to run the Network Connection Test), but my d/l speed results are still way lower than they should be.

tommycronin

Banned
Just go into the wifi settings of your router and change the mode to 802.11b/g or whichever one is there if that isn't there or doesn't work, just seen they say the same thing in the kotaku link but ill just leave it here just in case no one clicks on it

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
A mate of mine was telling me "Twitter is blowing up with this 4.50 Wifi issue, is yours fucked?"

I saw nothing on my timeline and luckily I'm on Ethernet.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yea I had to connect to my b/g wifi and take it off ac, super annoying in games. I had it during the beta but hadn't put two and two together, I assumed my router was just being shitty.

Kyrios

Mine is wired but my download speeds really shit the bed after this update.

A day before 4.50 dropped, I downloaded Nioh in about 30-40 minutes. After the update, downloads start normal and then drops really low and sometimes even just stops all together before continuing.

EDIT: Playing online is fine though, no lag so far.

Raptor

Mine is wired but my download speeds really shit the bed after this update.

A day before 4.50 dropped, I downloaded Nioh in about 30-40 minutes. After the update, downloads start normal and then drops really low and sometimes even just stops all together before continuing.

This is exactly my issue too, and if you pause and resume it fixes for a couple of minutes then goes back to a crawl.

Annoying stuff.

Formosa

Yea I had to connect to my b/g wifi and take it off ac, super annoying in games. I had it during the beta but hadn't put two and two together, I assumed my router was just being shitty.

I wonder why Sony still released this firmware if they know the problem...

ultrazilla

Sony's wifi/internet hardware is a joke.

I have a 500mbps down/50mbps up connection and only get like7-10mbps up using wifi on my son's Playstation 4 which is literally right behind the router and the wall is wood panel and 2x4s(not load bearing or plaster) so the signal shouldn't be downgrading that much. Also, when I connect a lan cable to my ps4 in the living room into the cable modem(the ps4 is literally 3 feet away from it) I only get like 100mbps down and 10mpbs up if I'm lucky. A freaking LAN CABLE! I even had tech support come out from the cable company and they literally spent hours at my house trying to find the problem only to realize it *has* to be the PS4's hardware for internet that's the problem as my computer routinely shows the 500mbps down and 50mbps up speeds.

Kyrios

This is exactly my issue too, and if you pause and resume it fixes for a couple of minutes then goes back to a crawl.

Annoying stuff.

Tonight I'm gonna see if changing my DNS to Google's helps anything, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Drencrom

I believe it, was experiencing rubberbanding issues in UC4 MP in the 4.50 beta so I downgraded to 4.07 which made them disappear and the issues came back when the official 4.50 was released.

Joey Ravn

Banned
My 5GHz connection dropped out of the blue yesterday. First time that it ever did it, even having used the beta since version 2.

LordofPwn

I was having wifi issues right before the 4.5 Beta. I also have more sync issues with Dualshock 4s than with my switch. I also live in a condo and OG PS4 doesn't support 5GHz. All will be better when i can finally move my tv above my fireplace and can hard link into my router

Having this exact problem. BF1 is unplayable for me. So much rubber banding and players teleporting around, which is especially obvious when in a plane.

I'll try switching to wired instead of WiFi.

LCGeek

formerly sane
How is this possible?
I thought consoles JUST WORK.

It uses BSD as a OS vs linux. Why is this important linux is the only OS that is used big time that deals with bufferbloat. On top of having a crap OS for network the networking chips on PS4 suck.

For various users who can do it Lede firmware for routers now allows cake for bufferbloat options besides supporting fq_codel the only two known forms of QOS to deal with buffer bloat effectively. The bigger thing to mention now is that some routers that support it can get dramatically reduce the lag in your wifi drivers.

All wifi suffers from what I'm about to list.

On the bleeding edge. Solving the crypto bug. Both of these highlight the systematic problems with wifi and why it can suck for voice or real time gaming.

Question is will most who come across the post do something and take matters in to their own hands. Also defaults and typical configs are why people end up with shit in this area. Gaming industry big and small is shit on this issue despite the fact the effects are devestating to how online performance is in game. Drivers for wifi from most vendors are shit and use old linux kernels with a default fifo queue for all your networking.

For gamers who care get a router that does cake or fq_codel/sqm its a clear step up from the old QOS shit and actually does it job when you need or want it too.

ultima786

Does the update affect your router itself, in some magical way? I suddenly have lots of connectivity issues with all my devices using my Wi-Fi network, causing me to reset my router/modem every 1 hour or so.

Formosa

Does the update affect your router itself, in some magical way? I suddenly have lots of connectivity issues with all my devices using my Wi-Fi network, causing me to reset my router/modem every 1 hour or so.

I remember I experienced issues loading/refreshing FB stuff on my iPhone that's connected to the WiFi. This is when I updated to the 4.50. But iPhone is fine now since I have reset the router. But Overwatch still rubberbands.

Jetman

None of the router fixes helped my situation. Had to just connect the damn PS4 directly to my modem. Thankfully, it wasn't too much of a pain moving shit around to do on my end.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I feel like my connection got even more stable (Ps4 Pro here).
I had the same feeling,after this patch I plugged my external an queued around 50 digital games while disc swapping like a mad man through another 50 or so physical games just to get their updates in queue. Woke up everything was done. I also haven't had to disconnect, reconnect network to improve download speeds since the update.

Floody

I've noticed downloads failing more often since the update, but haven't had any connection issues besides that, like apps and party haven't been any different. Though I've only played Disc Jam online since the update and their servers where fucked when I played it.

I had this issue at first with the beta, but then with the official 4.5 my 5G connection is as fast and consistent as it was before on my Pro.

Sucks that the issue has reemerged for some with the official release.

I'm having video signal problems since the update .

Like what? Just once after the update I had a funny signal issue that made me raise an eyebrow. Hasnt happened again, though.

I started up Horizon ZD and things just didn't look the same. I checked the game settings and HDR was enabled, everything looked normal. Then I checked the PS4Pro's output settings and it was outputting 1080p with HDR off.
I restarted the console and it went back to normal, autodetecting 4k HDR. It's got me suspicious now and every time I turn it on I check to make sure the output is alright.

leng jai

I literally haven't been able to connect my Pro to WiFi at all since 4.50. Detects my connection but then says it can't connect to the internet even though all my. Other devices work.

jrolson

Ive had this problem before the 4.50 update, this is nothing new... It kept telling me my password was wrong even tho it was right.

Fixed it by moving the router closer to the PS4 and waiting awhile.

Think it has something to do with router signal strength...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Tried this on my pro, wifi worked good on warframe and Titanfall. My PS4 is also like 6 feet away so it better work well.

Top Bottom