• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's €100 PSN TV Promo comes with a catch

Kerotan

Sony launched a promo where if you buy any 2021 TV set you can claim €100 PSN credit. This was a factor in purchasing my XR 55" X90J as it essentially made it €100 cheaper for me as I buy my games digitally anyway.

So I went to submit my claim today https://www.sony.ie/promo/tv

And I see they have a message which says the following:

"Due to the great success of this promotion, new claims are currently not possible. We expect to receive additional voucher codes very soon so you will be able to claim again. Please try again in a few days. We apologize for this inconvenience."

Well this sucks. They better get more stock so I can make my claim or I'm going to be pissed!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony launched a promo where if you buy any 2021 TV set you can claim €100 PSN credit. This was a factor in purchasing my XR 55" X90J as it essentially made it €100 cheaper for me as I buy my games digitally anyway.

So I went to submit my claim today https://www.sony.ie/promo/tv

And I see they have a message which says the following:

"Due to the great success of this promotion, new claims are currently not possible. We expect to receive additional voucher codes very soon so you will be able to claim again. Please try again in a few days. We apologize for this inconvenience."

Well this sucks. They better get more stock so I can make my claim or I'm going to be pissed!
Here's hoping you get in. The fine print on the site also says you got to get in your claim by Dec 31. So you might want to check every day.

Kerotan

Here's hoping you get in. The fine print on the site also says you got to get in your claim by Dec 31. So you might want to check every day.
Yeah it's bollox. They should just give a code to anybody that wants it. Before I bought it in November the claim button was always available. Now I set it up and go to claim a few days later they're OOS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah it's bollox. They should just give a code to anybody that wants it. Before I bought it in November the claim button was always available. Now I set it up and go to claim a few days later they're OOS.
What happened was the marketing department ran out of budget for $100 claims. They sold way more TVs then they thought they would but based the budget and number of voucher codes on a fixed amount, not a rolling number of $100 x # of TVs sold.

Youre only 3 weeks from the deadline. TBH, you might be hooped if they dont do a last minute budget bump.

Last edited:

Kerotan

What happened was the marketing department ran out of budget for $100 claims. They sold way more TVs then they thought they would but based the budget and number of voucher codes on a fixed amount, not a rolling number of $100 x # of TVs sold.

Youre only 3 weeks from the deadline. TBH, you might be hooped if they dont do a last minute budget bump.
Do you have inside info or are you just basing this on knowledge of how these things usually work?

They better receive more vouchers!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do you have inside info or are you just basing this on knowledge of how these things usually work?

They better receive more vouchers!
Just my guess.

It should be easier for them to add more codes since it's digital.

Traditional ways of doing this are like a print coupon buying soap or shampoo. The manufacturer prints 1,000s and 1,000s of these but there's only so many they make. If they run out or you cant get hold of one, that's it. They arent going to re-run another roll. Out of all those coupons, the marketing department projects an estimated coupon claims budget based on redemption history (like 3%). So if they print out $1,000,000 worth of coupons, they'll budget $30,000 claim costs. If it ends up being $50,000, they got to bump up their budget by year end. And with print coupons you got to do it as a store isn't going to say no the manufacturer said they arent taking any more.

With digital they got real time visibility how much is being claimed, and it looks like they only created enough voucher codes for a certain number of purchases. So your best hope is they'll make another batch of digital codes the next 3 weeks.

With coupon redemption, the manufacturer processes print coupons through a redemption house that specializes in doing the leg work processing the slips and the manufacturer pays them to do it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Cheers for info OP.

Oh fuck, I've been using that sell A80J and especially A90Js to people I couldn't convert to Hisense OLEDs. Oh no. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can anyone speak to the UK version of the promotion? This is Ireland right?

Topher

Gold Member
The irony of them being able to produce more $2,000 TVs than digital coupons is hilarious.

Only Sony.

The guy at Sony in charge of making "digital" coupons.

computer printer GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OP,

If you dont get one and Dec 31 is getting close, you might want to give customer service a call and see what they can do. They arent going to be able to instantly approve anything right there and they wont know if more digital coupons are in the works, but at least your complaint/inquiry is on file and there's a chance they do something for you later (and for anyone who contacted them directly). There's chance that is their back up plan to keep budgets low.... only bail out people who call in.

No different than other situations. I;ve sat beside CSR before and the shit they laugh at was funny (or they'd be talking to someone and look at me smirking), but they always did their best to accept broken stuff or send them new shit even if it's clearly after warranty to make people happy. And in this situation its understandable. I dont think the typical CSR would stonewall you a response to piss you off as you got a legitimate issue where it looks the company didnt do their part. Sometimes it takes time to get back to you because for major stuff they'd need manager approval then they'd call you back.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This happened to me when they did the crunchy roll promo for 90 free days or whatever. I jumped through all of their hoops for two weeks as a new code was supposedly coming for two weeks (the term of a normal free trial) and it just never came. Then they charged me for a month and told me I wasn’t getting a code. I got a big fuck off from them. Don’t hold your breath op.

Kerotan

Cheers for info OP.

Oh fuck, I've been using that sell A80J and especially A90Js to people I couldn't convert to Hisense OLEDs. Oh no. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can anyone speak to the UK version of the promotion? This is Ireland right?

Yeah the promotion actually said your receipt has to show you purchased in November which I have but I don't get why sony didn't just do it for December purchases also. The tvs cost more month without the extra black Friday discount on them.

OP,

If you dont get one and Dec 31 is getting close, you might want to give customer service a call and see what they can do. They arent going to be able to instantly approve anything right there and they wont know if more digital coupons are in the works, but at least your complaint/inquiry is on file and there's a chance they do something for you later (and for anyone who contacted them directly). There's chance that is their back up plan to keep budgets low.... only bail out people who call in.

No different than other situations. I;ve sat beside CSR before and the shit they laugh at was funny (or they'd be talking to someone and look at me smirking), but they always did their best to accept broken stuff or send them new shit even if it's clearly after warranty to make people happy. And in this situation its understandable. I dont think the typical CSR would stonewall you a response to piss you off as you got a legitimate issue where it looks the company didnt do their part. Sometimes it takes time to get back to you because for major stuff they'd need manager approval then they'd call you back.
I really hope so. This was their reply.

"
Thank you for contacting Sony support.
With reference to your enquiry regarding your XR-55X90J, we are sorry to learn that you are unable to claim the voucher currently.
Due to the great success of this promotion, new claims are currently not possible. We expect to receive additional voucher codes very soon so you will be able to claim again. Please try again in a few days. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Also, we would like to confirm that this is a temporary situation and we aim to resolve it as soon as possible.
For registration purposes, please reply with the 7 digits serial number:
(Help - Status and Diagnostics - System Information).
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00227551
Please accept our sincerest apologies and we appreciate your understanding.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely,

Kerotan

So just a heads up to anybody who bought a new Sony tv between October and the end of November. The claim is option has now disappeared again. They've gone out of stock for at least the second time in a week and while it does say more will come December 31st is the last day you can apply so get on it next chance you get.

Top Bottom