• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

KAL2006

Banned
Stole this list from
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33988626&postcount=1621

It seems Sony have many studios at work. I think the reason for this is so they can support Vita and PS3 at the same time, it also helps to have extra studios when moving on to PS4, for example, Naughty Dogg has one studio making a PS3 game late in it's life, and most likely another studio developing a PS4 game.

3rd party studios that are developing/developed exclusive for Sony
Sanzaru Games - Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
ThatGameCompany - Journey (PSN)
Giant Sparrow - The Unfinished Swan (PSN)
Developer TBA - Until Dawn (unannounced)
Ready At Dawn - Unannounced Title
Quantic Dream - Two unannounced Titles
Tarsier Studios - Exclusive 1st party agreement. Currently working on LittleBigPlanet Vita and other projects
Novarama Studios - Exclusive 1st party agreement. Reality Fighters and other titles.
Armature Studios (Ex Retro staff) - Helped with MGS HD Vita port, have another unannounced project
Superbot Entertainment - PlayStation Title Fight (unannounced)
Double Eleven - LittleBigPlanet Vita
Lightbox Interactive - Starhawk
The Workshop - Sorcery
Nihilistic - Resistance: Burning Skies
Q Games - PixelJunk 4 A.M, other Pixeljunk titles
Idol Minds - Ruin for Vita, Ratchet HD Collection
Fun Bits - Escape Plan
Mass Media Inc - Jak & Daxter HD Collection
HouseMarque - SuperStardust Delta
HoneySlug - Frobisher Says
Queasy Games - Sound Shapes
Plastic - Datura (Move game)
Clap Hanz - Hot Shots Golf Vita
Zindagi - MediEvil Moves/Sports Champions
Supermassive Games Tumble/Start The Party
Blue Point Studios - GoW HD Collection, Team ICO Collection

These are the 1st party IP's being worked on by 1st party studios:
Studio Cambridge - Killzone Vita
Naughty Dog Team 1 - The Last of Us
SCEJ Studio Japan - Gravity Daze/Rush
Team ICO - The Last Guardian
San Diego Studios - MLB: The Show, LittleBigPlanet Racers
Santa Monica Team 2 - God of War: Ascension

Then we have to consider their 1st party teams with unannounced projects (I have put some guesses down on what I think they are making):
Guerilla Games Team 1 - Killzone 4?
Guerilla Games Team 2 - New IP?
Naughty Dog Team 2 - Uncharted 4 for PS4?
Polyphony Digital GT Vita or GT PS4?
Evolution Studios - MotorStorm or New Racer for PS4?
Media Molecule - New IP for Vita?
Studio Liverpool - WipeOut PS3 DLC?
Santa Monica Team 1 - New IP for PS4?
Sucker Punch Productions - inFamous 3 or new IP for PS4?
Studio London - Move game?
SCE Bend - Uncharted Vita 2 or Syphon Filter Vita?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Sony has the best and most varied 1st/2nd party titles of any console. With the current way it's progressing the PS4 will have a stellar line-up.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I am forever bitter that the Crash Bandicoot license was left to rot.

Sony didn't own the IP, so there wasn't much they could've done anyway.

That said, it's criminal how Sony has ignored Motor Toon Grand Prix, Medievil, Ghost Hunter and Primal.

kevm3

Once Harrison was let go and Kaz took charge and changed the company from some casual focus back to gaming, things really started turning around.

KAL2006

Banned
If I had to guess what some studios are doing

Naughty Dog Team 2 - Uncharted 4 for PS4
Evolutions Studios - Launch racing game for PS4
Santa Monica - GoW4 for PS3
Novarama - Invizimals Vita
Bend - Uncharted Vita 2 or Syphon Filter Vita
Media Molecule - cross platform Vita/PS3 IP
Sucker Punch - new IP for PS4
Guerilla Games - Vita/PS3 cross platform game (new IP)
Guerilla Games Team 2 - Killzone 4 for PS4
Superbot - Sony Smash Bros for PS3

zoukka

Sony didn't own the IP, so there wasn't much they could've done anyway.

That said, it's criminal how Sony has ignored Motor Toon Grand Prix, Medievil, Ghost Hunter and Primal.

They should've bought it! If for nothing else, then just for the best Kart game ever.

And where did Speed Freaks go...

Combichristoffersen

They should've bought it! If for nothing else, then just for the best Kart game ever.

And where did Speed Freaks go...

Speed Freaks was developed by Funcom Dublin (and published by Sony), but Funcom are currently too busy focusing on making MMORPG bombas to make a new Speed Freak.

Apenheul

AFAIK Armature Studio and Q Games are not developing exclusively for Sony, they just happen to have worked on (and are working on) titles that only come out on Sony platforms. Q Games for example has made a couple of games exclusively for Nintendo too, and Armature is just a small studio that happens to be working on a VITA/PSN project, right after finishing a 360 project.

While Sony's stable of internal studios has indeed been very strong for a while now, listing independents that work with them is pretty much meaningless. Not only can they always choose to go multiplatform, like Insomniac or, say, Bizarre did this generation, but some of them, like HouseMarque, aren't developing exclusively for Sony even now.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I really wish their Japanese side was half as ambitious with acquiring and funding developers as their western side is.

Combichristoffersen

I really wish their Japanese side was half as ambitious with acquiring and funding developers as their western side is.

SCEJ have been busy being mostly shit and useless this gen, so no wonder they haven't had the time to acquire developers or fund games

With a studio lineup like that, I don't really understand why Sony isn't doing more profit. Though I guess there aren't many "heavy hitters" there but still, you would think they stacked up.

To be honest I don't think Sony fans have ever been conditioned into buying a lot of first party exclusives like Nintendo fans, or to a lesser degree Microsoft fans.

Rad-

With a studio lineup like that, I don't really understand why Sony isn't doing more profit. Though I guess there aren't many "heavy hitters" there but still, you would think they stacked up.

All those people also need to be paid every month, though, so with no big hits there will be no mad profits.

Sony have learned from their mistakes this gen (or at least I hope they did), they will need strong IPs to compete with tree WiiU so they need to get most of their studios.

While Sony's stable of internal studios has indeed been very strong for a while now, listing independents that work with them is pretty much meaningless. Not only can they always choose to go multiplatform, like Insomniac or, say, Bizarre did this generation, but some of them, like HouseMarque, aren't developing exclusively for Sony even now.

While true for the most part, my initial list called them 2nd/3rd parties working on Sony exclusives. Some of those studios have signed exclusive agreements with Sony so their games will not appear elsewhere forever or for the terms of their contract. These include Lightbox, EatSleepPlay, ThatGameCompany (Journey is the last game under the known contract), Novarama, Double Eleven, Tarsier etc.

I think the take home point from the list is that Sony are working with developers across the entire spectrum of the industry to produce games for all of their platforms. We'll see the list broaden when Suite gets its details fleshed out, I suspect.

Globox_82

Banned
It was :(

When they keep funding Killzone and Resistance games few people really asked for or wanted.. yeah. Not to mention The Last Guardian.

I am sure we have seen the last of Resistance on a console at least. You make a valid point, but it wouldn't make much sense to announce sequels of those games, most of the people (even those that played it) probably don't remember it all that well.

Globox_82

Banned
While true for the most part, my initial list called them 2nd/3rd parties working on Sony exclusives. Some of those studios have signed exclusive agreements with Sony so their games will not appear elsewhere forever or for the terms of their contract. These include Lightbox, EatSleepPlay, ThatGameCompany (Journey is the last game under the known contract), Novarama, Double Eleven, Tarsier etc.

I think the take home point from the list is that Sony are working with developers across the entire spectrum of the industry to produce games for all of their platforms. We'll see the list broaden when Suite gets its details fleshed out, I suspect.

I am sure they a couple of new studios that are secretly working (maybe) on PS4. Like how it was with Game Republic, Ninja Theory, Factor 5 for example

Combichristoffersen

I am sure we have seen the last of Resistance on a console at least. You make a valid point, but it wouldn't make much sense to announce sequels of those games, most of the people (even those that played it) probably don't remember it all that well.

Na, you're right, those games are so old by now it wouldn't really be any point in releasing sequels. It would have to be remakes (rather unlikely), or brushed-up HD versions of games like Primal and Ghost Hunter, since they were PS2 games (slightly less unlikely). I'd buy a HD version of Ghost Hunter, since the game looked pretty good even on the PS2.

And Resistance can stay dead for all I care, as long as Insomniac keep giving me Ratchet & Clank. But after the mediocre sales of the last two games, I guess that series might be dead too :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I could have sworn that I saw Unfinished Swan was supposed to be a XBLA game like two years ago. Or maybe just that it was an XNA project, don't remember.

Polk

When they keep funding Killzone and Resistance games few people really asked for or wanted.. yeah. Not to mention The Last Guardian.

You can't blame Sony for funding those 2 FPS (ok, maybe you can blame them form funding them both and not focusing on one) when Halo become megahit for MS.

Globox_82

Banned
Na, you're right, those games are so old by now it wouldn't really be any point in releasing sequels. It would have to be remakes (rather unlikely), or brushed-up HD versions of games like Primal and Ghost Hunter, since they were PS2 games (slightly less unlikely). I'd buy a HD version of Ghost Hunter, since the game looked pretty good even on the PS2.

And Resistance can stay dead for all I care, as long as Insomniac keep giving me Ratchet & Clank. But after the mediocre sales of the last two games, I guess that series might be dead too :/

ACIT is one of my favorite games this gen. Then they created this latest abomination...

Cesar

Banned
Not only have they bought studios this gen (Media Molecule, Evolution, Sucker Punch), a lot of their studios also expanded to a second team, Guerilla, ND, SSM, ...

PS4 is going to have an amazing first party line up.

KAL2006

Banned
You can't blame Sony for funding those 2 FPS (ok, maybe you can blame them form funding them both and not focusing on one) when Halo become megahit for MS.

I think they are going to drop Resistance (maybe it will only have Vita sequels, like Syphone Filter had for PSP)

But I reckon they are going to give Killzone another push on PS4, there are 2 teams in Guerilla Games, one could be working on Killzone 4 and one could be working on a new IP.

Personally I prefer Sony to experiment and work on new IP's, yes some IP's fail, like Lair and Heavenly Sword, but some IP become successful such as Uncharted. I like the way Sony are going now, make sequels to hits like Uncharted, while experimenting and making new IPs like Last of Us.

The funny thing is, despite considering myself an elitist gamer and long-time PS2/PS3 owner, i only know about 4 of those studios by name.

Kinda sad with all things considered...

Sure, but even then nothing is set in stone. Companies losing contracts or backing out of them is hardly unheard of in this industry (for instance, when a studio is bought out by a large publisher). But I was just commenting on this OP, not on your original post.

As another comment on the OP, what would be the point of adding similar lists for Microsoft and Nintendo to the topic that is apparently about Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios expanding a lot since last gen?

tusken77

Not only have they bought studios this gen (Media Molecule, Evolution, Sucker Punch), a lot of their studios also expanded to a second team, Guerilla, ND, SSM, ...

PS4 is going to have an amazing first party line up.

Playstation 4, Vita and this wide and diverse collection of talent. Incredible times ahead.

KAL2006

Banned
Sure, but even then nothing is set in stone. Companies losing contracts or backing out of them is hardly unheard of in this industry (for instance, when a studio is bought out by a large publisher). But I was just commenting on this OP, not on your original post.

As another comment on the OP, what would be the point of adding similar lists for Microsoft and Nintendo to the topic that is apparently about Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios expanding a lot since last gen?

I am aware of that, I will request a mod to change the topic title, if there is a Nintendo and MS list added to the OP.

THE:MILKMAN

Looking at the list of first party teams that have nothing announced so far, tells me that PS4 is coming in 2013 at the latest.

I can't see all these teams announcing PS3 games at E3. And there is no way Sony could afford to fund these big teams to 2014+.

Really looking forward to E3 to find out what the hell is going on!

Feindflug

The most and the most varied? sure
The best? Debatable

Of course it's debatable - sure there are some awesome series/games like Wipeout & Uncharted and some great/good like GT, God Of War, Resistance & R&C but there are a lot of mediocre filler to their line-up IMO like Motorstorm, Socom, Killzone, LBP e.t.c.

It's a matter of preference but personally I'd prefer if they could focus on less projects with more quality, in other words they should stop putting out games just to up their numbers of exclusive titles.

StuBurns

Banned
While it's a big list, and Sony have published some great games this generation, their batting average is still really low I think.

There are deals in place I'm very excited about, Tarsier have some really smart guys over there, and they've deserved a chance for a while, RAD are top tier, making GoWs for PSP way better than SSM did with GoW3, and them getting a console title to crack on with is awesome, and of course Metroid Prime is pretty much better than any game Sony has shipped this generation, so the Armature deal could certainly result in great things. But as it stands in actual releases, for all the talk of their amazing first party, I've not been very impressed really. Same for the other two of course though.

Kayo-kun

I see alot of potential in these studios and hope they'll get bigger projects from Sony instead of minor games/PSN games. I just wish Sony and their first party studios would focus abit more on RPG:s like the good old days. =(

Top Bottom