• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

Nestunt

They can only be working on a limited number of in-house AAA games.

With TLOU2 and Death Stranding they have divulged projects that will only see the light of day in a few years.

Japan Studios just shipped TLG and Gravity Rush.

We know Bend's and Santa Monica's games. Media Molecule also. Only Sucker Punch is missing. And we can't say that the other hardware-makers have this kind of portfolio (even if you don't like these final products).

I bet, this E3, we will see more of 2nd party collaborations, that we did not know existed. PS4 is a very rich environment for smaller studios to put their games on, if financed by a bigger one.

Sweep14

How does being quiet translate to being a bit overconfident? genuinely asking as I can't seem to make sense of that

My opinion is that when you're overconfident, there's a risk of resting on your laurels, thinking that your competitors moves are meaningless and that they'll never be able to hurt your business. Sony's quietness could mean two things : They worked hard behind the scene to deliver a great E3 or they are resting on their laurels and they could be overshadowed by MS at E3.

AHA-Lambda

They have been killing it with early 2017 games, so I don't see what they need to speak out.
Also E3 is not too far off...
MS is going to be launching a new console this year, so it's only natural that they talk more imo.

This.

Sony is in a very good position, they don't need to do much until e3

Maybe it's just me, but they are more than welcome to continue shoving out games like they did in 2017 and talk less to media outlets. Let content speak for itself.

Tratorn

I still think that Sony will have the hardest time of the 3 to surprise (and thus "win") at E3 this year, but a silent Sony is not an indicator for anything imo. They never really made much noise outside of their press conferences since the start of this gen. Not even for the PS4 Pro.

brawly

You said sony hadn't had any dry spells and now you're just saying less dry spells.

Come on.

Sony consoles have never gone for months without games, unlike Nintendo with the Wii U. So obviously people are more sceptic towards Nintendo now.

Fredrik

They're saving it for the Pro $299 price drop at E3 press conference and a coming soon target renders hype video for the AAA games coming the next few years.

brawly

I think the point is that even the PS4s slowest years were still pretty good. Particularly compared to MS/Nintendo this gen.

Exactly. They always space their games out and have the biggest line up of first and second party. So it's not hard to see why people give them the benefit of doubt.

DieH@rd

Banned
We are 5-6 weeks away from Wipeout collection and E3, and two weeks after that is Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. At that point starts month and a half of summer wasteland, until Aug 22 when gaming returns with Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Shadow of War.

Zojirushi

As others have already said, they just had a pretty good run of critically acclaimed games / crowd pleasers so they're probably good until E3.

I agree they need to kinda announce the next "round" there because this:

May - LocoRoco Remastered/ Farpoint
June - WipeOut Omega Collection/ Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
July - Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
August - Uncharted The Lost Legacy
September - Destiny 2 (Marketing)
October - ?
November - Call of Duty WW2/ Star Wars Battlefront II (Marketing)
December - ?

They could actually coast off what's already been announced, though this might give us an idea of when Knack 2 & Gran Turismo Sport may be releasing.

is a pretty sad ass list.

However, Sony have people confident in their ability to keep the games coming which is not something Microsoft can say right now.

Should be an interesting E3.

wapplew

We are 5-6 weeks away from Wipeout collection and E3, and two weeks after that is Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. At that point starts month and a half of summer wasteland, until Aug 22 when gaming returns with Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Shadow of War.

Forget Everybody's Golf, August too.

jelly

Too busy making games.

There is no need for talk when things are going well, just get the games out, announce new games and features, roll them out.

You could perhaps argue they are coasting on the PS4 OS/PSN

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Sony consoles have never gone for months without games, unlike Nintendo with the Wii U. So obviously people are more sceptic towards Nintendo now.

Just looking at the list of first-party games for the two companies released during 2014 and 2015 it looks the reverse.

But sure Nintendo is bad with their dry spells everyone knows that (me included) but don't try to say sony is a master of scheduling.

black070

Are you trying to spin that they are showing their games 4 years before they launch as a positive?

I'd consider it a negative if they had nothing else to release, but that isn't the case. They've already released Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn & MLB The Show 17 - they still have Farpoint, WipeOut The Omega Collection, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, Knack 2 & Gran Turismo Sport confirmed for this year with the possibility of more to be confirmed, and that's only looking at their first party retail offerings. Add up third party (console/)exclusives e.g. Nioh, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5/ 2.4 Collections, Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age etc, and I'm left with no reason to cry about a few 2018/19 games having already been shown.

ethomaz

Banned
Like the others except Nintendo that just launched a new portable.

What do you expect Sony to talk a month before E3???

cheesekao

Just looking at the list of first-party games for the two companies released during 2014 and 2015 it looks the reverse.

But sure Nintendo is bad with their dry spells everyone knows that (me included) but don't try to say sony is a master of scheduling.
So why are you leaving out third parties again?

wapplew

Andrew House: We have unannounced games that will push demand for the PS4.

Happy see how easy it is. ;)

Will they upping investment with first party tho? Since single player game lost their impact, What about investment in GaaS? Do Sony ready for the future of GaaS?

Nestunt

Will they upping investment with first party tho? Since single player game lost their impact, What about investment in GaaS? Do Sony ready for the future of GaaS?

I like that acronym for Games as a service. It's in line of what I think of the concept.

Yjynx

As others have already said, they just had a pretty good run of critically acclaimed games / crowd pleasers so they're probably good until E3.

I agree they need to kinda announce the next "round" there because this:

is a pretty sad ass list.

However, Sony have people confident in their ability to keep the games coming which is not something Microsoft can say right now.

Should be an interesting E3.
You gotta be kidding me...

sirap

Wait for E3.

As much as I hate that line, Sony's past few conferences actually give it legitimacy. There will be bombs dropped in the upcoming months, you can bet your ass on that.

You said sony hadn't had any dry spells and now you're just saying less dry spells.

Come on.

Sony haven't had dry spells, they've had spells where the games were less than steller, or were smaller games/niche games the games have been there constantly.

Their worst years were the below, and thats still a game per quarter with some GOATS thrown in.

2014 - Driveclub, infamous second son LBP3, MLB, Last of Us remastered
2015 - Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Until dawn, MLB, Helldivers, Tearaway unfolded, TND Collection

brawly

They are, though. Well, maybe not masters but better than Nintendo (who didn't really have much of a choice because of the sheer lack of games, from all parties) and Microsoft (who to this day cram all their games right next to the third party heavy hitters in the fall). They constantly placed their exclusives in the first half of the year.

Nestunt

Nah I'm pretty sure they wouldn't kill for such a list. I'm pretty sure no one would kill for such a list.

Marketing deals with 3 of the best-selling games of 2017? Only a company that does not like money. Having great 1st party games (like Nintendo) is not mutually exclusive to having great 3rd party support. A stronger Nintendo machine (tech-wise) could also play Zelda and Mario. They are simply too enamored with the blue-ocean concept.

If any company is in a position where it can afford to be quiet right now, it's Sony. The momentum of their platform has been non-stop since PSX last year.

I am hoping for that E3 blow-out though.

cheesekao

Because the third-party games has nothing with the quitness of sony to do. They announce their games by themselves most of the time.
Following the chain of quotes, the person talking to you was referring to how Sony's dry spells aren't as bad as Nintendo's because the big 3rd parties will be there to back them up. You went on to compare exclusives.

orochi91

Sony's been absolutely killing it this gen, specifically since 2015.

I see no reason for Sony to talk up their E3, since it'll be business as usual for them.

Nintendo and MS have new hardware to hype up, hence their comments lately.

Replicant

*Nintendo says relatively little* - "They have nothing!!!! Nintendoomed!!!"

*Sony says the square root of nothing* - "Pfft, who needs communication?"

Never change, GAF.

Because there are other good games to play for Switch other than Zelda.

Oh.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Marketing deals with 3 of the best-selling games of 2017? Only a company that does not like money. Having great 1st party games (like Nintendo) is not mutually exclusive to having great 3rd party support. A stronger Nintendo machine (tech-wise) could also play Zelda and Mario. They are simply too enamored with the blue-ocean concept.

Meant the line-up of games not the marketing deals, I guess the marketing deals are the 'biggest deals' so to say but the winning party get almost all of them in every generation.

Meant more that 3 remasters and a standalone DLC isn't something to be super excited about as a consumer. Though as people have said before, E3 will probably lead to 2-3 earlier showed games getting 2017 release dates (gran turismo, GOW?)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They have been killing it with early 2017 games, so I don't see what they need to speak out.
Also E3 is not too far off...
MS is going to be launching a new console this year, so it's only natural that they talk more imo.

There is no need to talk for the sake of talking, which is what Spencer has been doing in recent years.

They are doing what everybody should be doing, letting the games and the hardware do the talking. Just shut up and deliver.

Yea I think its this.

MS have reasons to talk more lately. Nothing 'Arrogant Sony' like or anything going on.

orochi91

Following the chain of quotes, the person talking to you was referring to how Sony's dry spells aren't as bad as Nintendo's because the big 3rd parties will be there to back them up. You went on to compare exclusives.
Yea, even during Sony's 1st-party dry spell on ps4 during 2013-2014, multiplat developers were pumping out a fair bit of software.

In short, a PlayStation dry spell is infinitely better than a Nintendo one.

Top Bottom