• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's focus on multiplayer is dissapointing

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The great majority of games we have on the horizon are all single player experiences (or if there is MP, the core is a solid SP). For all the ills SONY has this generation (mostly towards giving consumers more options) I don't think leaving the single player game behind is one of them.

JaksGhost

I'm not the first one to bring up Game Pass either, it was already being discussed.
And yeah, you're trying to draw me into a stupid console war, instead of just listening to the one point I was trying to make, which was that Game Pass is cutting into Sony's software sales.
That point I'm trying to make isn't "unverifiable" either, as it's the most basic common sense. I don't need a source to tell you that water is wet, do I? Are you suggesting that someone who owns both a Series X and a PS5 is MORE likely to buy a $70 game on PS5 rather than download the game via Game Pass? It really sounds like that is what you're laughing about. I said before, that even if it's a small % of lost sales that Sony thinks they'd earn otherwise, then they'd be concerned about that. This is basic business 101. You're laughing at that too. Why? It's obvious. You think businesses ignore that? This has been discussed ad nauseum for years.
The thing I said was "unverifiable" was lost sales. Sony can't know for sure how many sales they are losing to Game Pass. All they do is projections. I can't "give you proof", because there's none to give. But to deny that there's any affect at all is just wrong, which is basically what you're doing.
You're putting too much emphasis on third party multi-plat games in your argument. Sony's mains concern is pushing units on first and third party exclusives which add more to their revenue pool. Microsoft's main concern is getting as many people possible on Game Pass. Whether that means buying their system or not they don't really care since they are branching out into other mediums which will push Game Pass, not just the Series S|X this generation. If the Game Pass started to cut into Sony's first and third party exclusives sales then they will start to worry. Why do you think its been such a slow crawl for them to beef up any of their services?

Last edited:
So you are talking about MLB?
Nope, I'm talking about in general, the most basic supposition.
But as a complete anecdote (I know anecdotes aren't allowed), MLB is a perfect example for me. I played it on Game Pass, and wouldn't ever have bought it on PS5. The last MLB the Show I had bought was in 2013, and I won't buy it again anyway. If it's on Game Pass, I might (probably not next year though). Same goes, again, anecdotally for The Medium, Control, etc. I would never buy The Medium, but I got 100% through Game Pass. I didn't care for it much, and would have been mad if I paid 60 bucks for it.
Idk I feel like I'm taking crazy pills in this thread. Am I to be led to believe that I'm the ONLY person in existence who is choosing to buy less games on the PS ecosystem right now? Full disclosure, I've been a Sony player from PS1-5, without skipping a gen. I drove 5 states away to get a PS5 on launch day. I also own a Series X, and I know what I'm buying, and where. I also know, based on reading forums and comments on YouTube, etc, that I'm far from the only one. Apparently, suggesting that anyone else thinks this way demands "hard evidence". Total sales seems to be the only "hard evidence" that most people can seem to want to use though.

You're putting too much emphasis on third party multi-plat games in your argument. Sony's mains concern is pushing units on first and third party exclusives which add more to their revenue pool. Microsoft's main concern is getting as many people possible on Game Pass. Whether that means buying their system or not they don't really care since they are branching out into other mediums which will push Game Pass, not just the Series S|X this generation.
I know that. I don't disagree, and nothing i said suggested otherwise. Of course, I'm talking ONLY about multiplat. How else would what I'm saying apply? I'm talking about directly affecting sales of multiplat games.

But as a complete anecdote (I know anecdotes aren't allowed), MLB is a perfect example for me. I played it on Game Pass, and wouldn't ever have bought it on PS5. The last MLB the Show I had bought was in 2013, and I won't buy it again anyway. If it's on Game Pass, I might (probably not next year though). Same goes, again, anecdotally for The Medium, Control, etc. I would never buy The Medium, but I got 100% through Game Pass. I didn't care for it much, and would have been mad if I paid 60 bucks for it.
Idk I feel like I'm taking crazy pills in this thread. Am I to be led to believe that I'm the ONLY person in existence who is choosing to buy less games on the PS ecosystem right now? Full disclosure, I've been a Sony player from PS1-5, without skipping a gen. I drove 5 states away to get a PS5 on launch day. I also own a Series X, and I know what I'm buying, and where. I also know, based on reading forums and comments on YouTube, etc, that I'm far from the only one. Apparently, suggesting that anyone else thinks this way demands "hard evidence". Total sales seems to be the only "hard evidence" that most people can seem to want to use though.
Only Sony game on GP is MLB.
This thread is about Sony games and supposed focus on multiplayer, please stop with your nonsense.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They are pursuing. They don't need to abandon their core strength to do that.

SP will always be at the forefront. Afterall you can only have so many multiplayer games before you end up competing with yourself. Just ask Ubisoft.

Their core strength according to right now. If Factions II goes off, their core strength becomes multiplayer.

In the same way platformers were "their core strength" before they launched Uncharted.

Topher

Gold Member

irony GIF

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Their core strength according to right now. If Factions II goes off, their core strength becomes multiplayer.

In the same way platformers were "their core strength" before they launched Uncharted.
So you're suggesting that Sony gives up on their biggest strength in SP and the reason for them leading console generations, for a market that's already saturated?

It won't happen

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good luck expecting mp from Sony they had their lil multiplayer moment on PS3 and they’ll never go back to that place.

Yeah, Sony has way too many multi-player games and not enough single-player games.

Now, there are two of us who ever said such a thing.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I've seen people roast Sony for having single player cinematic experiences and now this gentleman/lady is complaining about to many multiplayer games.

Back in my day, we just played the games we liked.

Meh....they can make all the multiplayer games they want, I just won't be buying any of them. It's that simple.
Yeah, we got enough of them overcrowding the market imo. I understand they usually make money, but hopefully this won’t take away on their focus on single player games if these multiplayer games succeed. That’s my primary concern. Wow. MAG 2 is making so much money for us. Forget about Rathet and Clank, we doing another multiplayer shooter!!!!

BootsLoader

Banned
To be honest I never buy a PlayStation to play multiplayer games so I don’t care for the output.
If I want multiplayer I turn on my laptop, that’s all.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So you're suggesting that Sony gives up on their biggest strength in SP and the reason for them leading console generations, for a market that's already saturated?

No.

I'm saying all business goes where the money is. Sony is no exception. They won't "abandon" single player because there's still tons of money in making single player games.

"...for a market that's already saturated?"

Imagine saying this on the same day Ubisoft, one of the most successful publishers in the industry, reveals it's new BR. Multiplayer is sure "saturated" alright.

Hobbygaming

No.

I'm saying all business goes where the money is. Sony is no exception. They won't "abandon" single player because there's still tons of money in making single player games.

Imagine saying this on the same day Ubisoft, one of the most successful publishers in the industry, reveals it's new BR. Multiplayer is sure "saturated" alright.
And that game's odds are stacked against it. It will probably flop

laynelane

Until it becomes an either/or situation, I'm not too worried about it. MP games are great for building up communities, player investment, etc. which I see as good things. For example, the majority of my friends list is from meeting people in Souls games. There's some other benefits, besides the obvious financial ones, to Sony expanding the game genres/types they focus on too. Increased activity from their own player base, drawing new players in, etc. And I say this a person who has never played a proper MP title and prefers SP games, as well.

There's a few companies out there that have sacrificed SP for MP games to make maximum money, but those are third-party publishers. Sony is in a different position due to wanting to sell hardware, peripherals, etc. along with the software. So, it makes sense for them to expand their audience as much as they can. Expansion doesn't mean cutting out the huge portion who loves their SP games, though.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And that game's odds are stacked against it. It will probably flop

We've heard people say BRs are going to flop for 4 years now. How many times do you have to be wrong before you keep the flop card in your pocket? At a certain point, you have to ask yourself what you aren't seeing.

I am not intetested multiplayer. 99% of them are rinse and repeat. The bad thing is that once the game is success, forget about the developer making a proper sequel to one of their game. There are many examples including Warcraft, GTA, and TES.

I hope the next TLOU multiplayer game fails in gaining playerbase, because if that happens, Sony will shut tje rest of their multiplayer projects

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
No.

Successful businesses don't go around just chasing whatever is the latest trend. If Sony does manage to carve itself a pie of the multiplayer market, that will be an achievement for them and another source of revenue. However, to go from that, to abandoning their proven strategy that results in platforms with a 100+ million consoles sold every time and that so far has made the PS5 the fastest selling console around, and dump that to try to mostly pursue multiplayer games would be idiotic.

Guilty_AI

i wonder if they'll go full rockstar if they ever land an online megahit

Horizon Online
God of War: Battle Royale
Spider-Verse MMO

Last edited:

recursive

It seems the future of PlayStation we have a ton of multiplayer investment. For someone who hates most multiplayer games and didn't get I to Starhawk, Resistance, Killzone and etc this is quite dissapointing.

We have the following based on official announcements, leaks and rumours
Deviation FPS game - Devs of Black Ops
FireWalk FPS game - Devs of Titanfall
Horizon multiplayer game
Guerilla Games 2nd project to be multiplayer - could be the same Horizon multiplayer game or something else
FireSprite Multiplayer game - Based on job positions
Factions - became its own thing and more ambitious so more resources put into this
Arrowhead next game - Sony published their previous game so likely to invest in this
Twisted Metal F2P - rumoured to be in development by Lucid
London Studio multiplayer game - they are hiring for a online game
inSomniac multiplayer game - they are hiring for a online game

That's a ton of investment for online games and I would have oreffered the resources to be double down on AAA singleplayer games. We already had Destruction Allstars which flopped. Sony has had issues previously creating a big online presence in a game where servers are shut or community is dead, just look at Starhawk, Twisted Metal, Resistance 3, Killzone 3 and etc. We are at a time where only a few online games succeed as the competition is strong and people don't have time to focus on a few online games at a time which leaves many online games being abandoned. There are some positives I'm glad Gran Turismo 7 is bringing back a decent singplelayer campaign. Ragnarok, Wolverine and etc all will be great singleplayer games. But with VR and multiplayer games which are 2 things I'm not interested in it seems the big singplelayer AAA games will be few and far between from eachother. And Sony could have upped the investment in more singplelayer games instead of multiplayer games which history has shown usually flop and get abandoned.
Don't you and your buddies complain that all sony makes is single player third person games? I mean wtf. Sony can't win except win they are?

I see no problem with diversification across single and multi-player despite your concern.

Gone

Banned
Why some Sony fans feel like they're some kind of keepers of single player games or something?

Play the games you want. Your beloved company (or any other one) is doing it for the profits so they can make both SP and MP games just fine.

Lupin25

What’s wrong with giving a little bit of everything?

This just completes the ecosystem for Sony.
(SP, VR, PC, now MP)

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Successful businesses don't go around just chasing whatever is the latest trend. If Sony does manage to carve itself a pie of the multiplayer market, that will be an achievement for them and another source of revenue. However, to go from that, to abandoning their proven strategy that results in platforms with a 100+ million consoles sold every time and that so far has made the PS5 the fastest selling console around, and dump that to try to mostly pursue multiplayer games would be idiotic.

Look at the games EA Activision made 20 years ago.

Now look at what they're working on today.

You can do this with any number of hugely successful publishers. The shift in resources towards multiplayer has been both obvious and lucrative for these companies.

The fact that Sony went from 0 AA or AAA exclusives for the duration of the PS4 life...to now having 10-12 multiplayer projects in the works, most of which will release in the first half of PS5 life, that should tell you something.

If multiplayer is the more lucrative market, Sony will head in that direction.

REDRZA MWS

It seems the future of PlayStation we have a ton of multiplayer investment. For someone who hates most multiplayer games and didn't get I to Starhawk, Resistance, Killzone and etc this is quite dissapointing.

We have the following based on official announcements, leaks and rumours
Deviation FPS game - Devs of Black Ops
FireWalk FPS game - Devs of Titanfall
Horizon multiplayer game
Guerilla Games 2nd project to be multiplayer - could be the same Horizon multiplayer game or something else
FireSprite Multiplayer game - Based on job positions
Factions - became its own thing and more ambitious so more resources put into this
Arrowhead next game - Sony published their previous game so likely to invest in this
Twisted Metal F2P - rumoured to be in development by Lucid
London Studio multiplayer game - they are hiring for a online game
inSomniac multiplayer game - they are hiring for a online game

That's a ton of investment for online games and I would have oreffered the resources to be double down on AAA singleplayer games. We already had Destruction Allstars which flopped. Sony has had issues previously creating a big online presence in a game where servers are shut or community is dead, just look at Starhawk, Twisted Metal, Resistance 3, Killzone 3 and etc. We are at a time where only a few online games succeed as the competition is strong and people don't have time to focus on a few online games at a time which leaves many online games being abandoned. There are some positives I'm glad Gran Turismo 7 is bringing back a decent singplelayer campaign. Ragnarok, Wolverine and etc all will be great singleplayer games. But with VR and multiplayer games which are 2 things I'm not interested in it seems the big singplelayer AAA games will be few and far between from eachother. And Sony could have upped the investment in more singplelayer games instead of multiplayer games which history has shown usually flop and get abandoned.
Yet still no fucking SOCOM.

Apeopleman

I am not intetested multiplayer. 99% of them are rinse and repeat. The bad thing is that once the game is success, forget about the developer making a proper sequel to one of their game. There are many examples including Warcraft, GTA, and TES.

I hope the next TLOU multiplayer game fails in gaining playerbase, because if that happens, Sony will shut tje rest of their multiplayer projects
You want TLOU2 multiplayer to fail?

but why

Hobbygaming

Look at the games EA Activision made 20 years ago.

Now look at what they're working on today.

You can do this with any number of hugely successful publishers. The shift in resources towards multiplayer has been both obvious and lucrative for these companies.

The fact that Sony went from 0 AA or AAA exclusives for the duration of the PS4 life...to now having 10-12 multiplayer projects in the works, most of which will release in the first half of PS5 life, that should tell you something.

If multiplayer is the more lucrative market, Sony will head in that direction.
Sony is smart enough to know that they have to keep the core PS fans happy while they dip their toes into MP, they won't ever have MP as their #1 focus

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We'll see how Sony MPs pan out.

The issue they have is a combo of super popular games like COD, but also all the Fortnites, Apex and PUBG kinds of games which are heavy into cheap or free + mtx.

If you look at the typical Sony MP game from years back, they are the traditional SP + MP game. And back then, the focus on GAAS and mtx isn't like now. So now, you either go all-round (COD that does everything SP, MP, mtx, battle royale) or go the F2P-ish kind of model which is low on SP/plot but all competitive action.

Vaelka

Dear lawd forbid that Sony does something else than behind view action pseudo-RPG open world cinematic '' experiences ''.

Top Bottom