• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Guerilla Games: work on new IP started 2.5 years ago, 'be a bit more patient'

Honestly the fact that they have a new lead writer of such caliber is a huge boon to the studio. They were already really good everything else - tech, setting, art style, refined gameplay - but so shitty at writing a story with compelling characters. This guy could revolutionize the studio and bring them to ND tier.

I hope he's gonna write on the next Killzone as well as the new IP because a setting that good deserves a good story.

Thankfully I do not expect my PS4 to grow legs and run into the ocean or anything.

Time is what I got, so take as much as you need GG.

cjp

Lead Writer
Guerrilla Games
Privately Held; 201-500 employees; Computer Games industry
September 2013 – Present (6 months) Amsterdam, Netherlands

Up to something new. Couldn't be more excited.

Lead Designer, Narrative
WB Games
March 2011 – August 2013 (2 years 6 months) Greater Seattle Area

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Created central storyline and main characters. Wrote cinematic scripts and in-game dialogue and assisted direction of voice performances. Designed intricate AI-driven dialogue systems to articulate the Nemesis system during gameplay (showdowns, death cameras, procedural chatter, etc) and collaborated extensively with realization, audio, design, and cinematics staff on other key features.

Well, if Shadow of Mordor turns out good in terms of story and the like, I'll start getting interested.

http://nl.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez

I don't even think it's the story that lacks in the Killzone series; it's the dialogue and characterisation. You can follow a conflict at a soldier level if the dialogue and performances are good (i.e. Call of Duty 4, Spec Ops: The Line), but the characters and dialogue in all Killzone games have been terrible (note; I haven't played Shadow Fall). Rico has always been a complete douche going all the way back through KZ1,
Adams the traitor
from KZ1 was basically a bad comic book villain, Narville was a spineless wet blanket and while Visari was cool,
his successors
in KZ3 were hilariously bad and the performances were too much for the tone they were going for.

Anyway, if they can get a better scriptwriter I think the games would be a lot more enjoyable. I don't think the story is as important as the dialogue itself; for instance the story in The Last of Us isn't amazing, but the script is exceptional, the voice actors perfect and the storytelling and pacing is just great.

KZ:SF felt like it was on the verge of making something compelling on the story front, and it just fell on its face about half way through. A new lead writer might be the thing that pushes them over that teir

Kuro

KZ:SF felt like it was on the verge of making something compelling on the story front, and it just fell on its face about half way through. A new lead writer might be the thing that pushes them over that teir

they need a new gameplay and level designer more than a writer IMO.

I wonder if KZ:SF is the last the Killzone in the series.

Hopefully, that series is really in need of a break. Shadowfall did little to reboot it, so they should let sleeping dogs lie for a while.

However, the guys who built the Killzone universe and art style, on a new IP. Well I have been excited about this for years to be honest.

Anyway, if they can get a better scriptwriter I think the games would be a lot more enjoyable. I don't think the story is as important as the dialogue itself; for instance the story in The Last of Us isn't amazing, but the script is exceptional, the voice actors perfect and the storytelling and pacing is just great.

Depends what type of game you're trying to create. Are you trying to establish a universe (e.g. Halo or most RPGs), or just tell a good personal story like TLoU?

Started 2 and a half years ago?

So any day now

giphy.gif

Well, this is where we find out Guerrilla are made of. Killzone wasn't as big as I think they or Sony wanted it to be, hoping this new IP will take off for them

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If GG manage to do for RPGs what they did for FPSs, when it comes to combat(and their mechanics) plus delivering a mature and dark art direction/world, then this could easily end up my GOTY. I drool thinking about the weight based swordplay with fantastic hit detection they are capable of making.

Maybe the old GG... but KZ4 feels like crap compared to the old games. It might as well be CoD the way it feels now. No weight whatsoever and shit, stilted animation.

Basically killed all hype I had for their rumored RPG.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe the old GG... but KZ4 feels like crap compared to the old games. It might as well be CoD the way it feels now. No weight whatsoever and shit, stilted animation.

Shadow Fall is weightier than KZ3.

Evolved1

Shadow Fall is weightier than KZ3.

Idk... hard for me to remember KZ3.

All I know is that "Killzone" used to mean something, to me. Even the most basic thing, like climbing a ladder or vaulting over some sandbags had weight to it. The animation was amazing, since PS2!

Compare the PS2 ladder climb to the PS4 version... I rest my case. That kind of shit is just bleeding through all aspects of the PS4 version. It's kinda gross if I'm being completely honest. I can;t even force myself to play through the rest of the campaign. At least I played through all of KZ3.

Guerilla imo, lacks only in writing and level design. ( hit-and-miss on the latter.) Not easy shoes to fill, but it's good that they're not hampered in ways that can't be solved by hiring good creative/design leads.

I've heard some say they're boring and not innovative in gameplay, but I think that's not a bad thing per say. They just needs to figure out the right polish, and keep things solid and grounded. I would say that SF was actually weakened somewhat in level design because they seem to attempt to go too far in trying to be 'different.'

I don't think every developer needs to be innovative. Sometimes we just want a well polished version of a formula we have seen before. In other words, we ate one excellent chocolate bar and now we are looking for something equally as choco-good from another company.

As for Shadowfall, I'm glad they tried to reboot it a bit even if that effort failed. It was a good idea but they just didn't execute well enough. They were pretty successful in brightening the series up visually which I think was needed. I hope they take the positive reaction from that and insert that into the next series. Not everything needs to look ultra dark to achieve a "grim" feeling. Sometimes the bright sunny world contrasting against the dark storyline does more to achieve a negative feeling than a matching artstyle. But the series needs to be walked away from IMO. They simply need to build on the the lessons they have learned and become stronger because of it.

leadbelly

Banned
Sony has their own meme already. It's "very soon"

DriveClub footage will be released "very soon"
1886 gameplay was rumored to be released "very soon" for a long time.

It's all very soon!

Not sure this meme will catch on. Pretty much everyone uses some variant of this. 'Soon' is such a vague word that implies it will be in a short period of time, but doesn't actually mean anything.

Averon

Wasn't it rumored that Guerilla's new IP was a fantasy RPG?

Sony has yet to do a Western RPG. That would be fertile ground for Guerilla to expand into something new and different for them.

Evolved1

Sci-Fi FPS/TPS RPG.

Basically a Fallout 3 clone without the Bethesda stink.

If it's the old GG you have my undivided attention, and my money..... but the KZ4 people? Wait n' see, for me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Idk... hard for me to remember KZ3.

All I know is that "Killzone" used to mean something, to me. Even the most basic thing, like climbing a ladder or vaulting over some sandbags had weight to it. The animation was amazing, since PS2!

Compare the PS2 ladder climb to the PS4 version... I rest my case. That kind of shit is just bleeding through all aspects of the PS4 version. It's kinda gross if I'm being completely honest. I can;t even force myself to play through the rest of the campaign. At least I played through all of KZ3.

Turn on motionflow on your TV. That should introduce a good 100ms of additional lag and give it the old KZ feel.

Evolved1

Turn on motionflow on your TV. That should introduce a good 100ms of additional lag and give it the old KZ feel.

I don't mean the lag. I never liked that. If you don't have a sense of what I'm talking about, that's fine, we just don't think about vodeogames in the same way.

vpance

Sci-Fi FPS/TPS RPG.

Basically a Fallout 3 clone without the Bethesda stink.

I think it's a fantasy based RPG? IIRC the job postings listed some wizard type shit.

Wasn't it rumored that Guerilla's new IP was a fantasy RPG?

Sony has yet to do a Western RPG. That would be fertile ground for Guerilla to expand into something new and different for them.

They should all be working on RPG, open world or otherwise. It's the future #1 genre.

StuBurns

Banned
It will be part of GDC VR announcement along with The Witness... which has also gone quiet. Both have rumoured VR implementation.
Oh shit, I just realized Blow has recently submitted a trailer to the ESRB so he can add it to the PSN store...

Megaton

I don't see how you share this optimism. Out of 4 of their games, only has been a contender for GOTY and even K2 was never the frontrunner in that regard. Otherwise, they've made pretty good games but never great or the best of the year. Now don't get me wrong, I am very excited about them potentially doing a WRPG game and moving away from FPS. Thankfully they got a new writer instead of the terrible writers they've had beforehand, though the problem is that they must still be working on GG Team 1's new game which likely Killzone again (why can't they get fired already?). On top of new writers, they need new people who can design and make the gameplay a lot more interesting. I am excited but very skeptical, so I'm curious what makes you so confident in this team.
I just don't agree with your opinion, that's how. Liberation is one of my fav psp games, Killzone 2 is my favorite online console FPS of all time, KZ mercenaries is the best high production title on Vita, and KZ4 is prob the best overall (combined MP&SP experience) console FPS i've played since KZ2 or Halo 3. The reason I like their games so much is mostly because of the gameplay mechanics. The player vs A.I. shootouts are just fantastic.

lol, no weight? we must have played different games. It's actually the perfect balance of weight and control. KZ2 was actually a bit too sluggish and KZ3 felt more like COD than KZ4. Still, nothing beats the gunplay of KZ2. Dat bullet spread and recoil

I have faith in GG, they are very talented. My only beef has been their inability to tell a good story. It looks like they are working on that hiring the writer from New Vegas. Now if they just get some new voice actors as well and never give whoever did Tyrans voice in shadowfall another chance I think they could muster up quite the game worthy of the praise they deserve.

I have faith in GG, they are very talented. My only beef has been their inability to tell a good story. It looks like they are working on that hiring the writer from New Vegas. Now if they just get some new voice actors as well and never give whoever did Tyrans voice in shadowfall another chance I think they could muster up quite the game worthy of the praise they deserve.

yea, the VA is kind of mediocre in SF. Real shame considering how awesome Radec and Visari sounded in KZ2

Vibranium

Banned
I can't wait to see their new game (RPG?), I hope John Gonzalez really brings that Fallout New Vegas magic to the table, Chris Avellone's not the only Obsidian master. Write an epic story and with great voice actors, preferably some new talented VAs too.

This is Guerilla's chance to show they can really up their game (graphics and artwise they're already wizards) and impress with writing and gameplay.

I hope this won't be another FPS.

And...please make a decent story.

Shadow Fall wasn't amazing storywise, but it was certainly competent and definitely better than the Battlefield 3 and 4's stories, especially because of all the collectible audiobooks and intel. With a New Vegas lead writer and designer on board, I have faith.

CCIE

Banned
Piecing together the clues.. I'd expect something along the following

1. Drive Club will be reintroduced at GDC with the rumored VR headset
2. SSM, Bend, and GG will be introduced at E3, along with Uncharted trailer. Also possibly TLG, though that could wait for TGS

We won't see anything out of ND with the exception of Uncharted until 2016

That is all IMO... heard GG is close to being able to announce, though.

Kyoufu

This is Guerilla's chance to show they can really up their game (graphics and artwise they're pretty much high-level) and impress even more people.

GG has always been known for their graphical wizardry.

They have to up their game when it comes to writing, story and most importantly; gameplay.

Top Bottom