• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Hideaki Nishino : 1440p Support will be considered if there is enough demand

1440p upscaled to 4k looks better than 1080p upscaled to 4k

you will miss fine detail.

also most games that support 120hz will run at around 1440p most likely and so you could actually have the max resolution of the game on your TV.
but as it stands now HDMI2.0 users will lose image quality for no good reason other than Sony being fucking dumb af...
That isn't true at all. In fact 4k divides evenly to a 1080p pixel count. There's going to be upscaling regardless if it's 1080p or 1440p. If you've got a good display like a sony (ironically) the upscaling chip does a great job at minimizing quality loss.

Not defending sony, but this isn't an issue for televisions.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If there's enough demand? Is it that difficult to do?

The more you try and cram in features that not everyone wants, the more things get bloated and slow.

And seriously, I get the impression that what the people demanding all these options want isn't a console, its a PC!

Banned
That isn't true at all. In fact 4k divides evenly to a 1080p pixel count. There's going to be upscaling regardless if it's 1080p or 1440p. If you've got a good display like a sony (ironically) the upscaling chip does a great job at minimizing quality loss.

Not defending sony, but this isn't an issue for televisions.

the fact is that you will lose details. a 1440p image has more pixel information and therefore more fine detail that you will lose at 1080p.

1440p is roughly around 2x the pixel information of 1080p.

the fact that it devides evenly doesn't help on modern TVs, their upscaling works well at either resolution.

Last edited:
the fact is that you will lose details. a 1440p image has more pixel information and therefore more fine detail that you will lose at 1080p.

1440p is roughly around 2x the pixel information of 1080p.

the fact that it devides evenly doesn't help on modern TVs, their upscaling works well at either resolution.
I don’t think you understand what downsampling is and if you are factoring that in as well, you’re simply wrong.

And it’s actually 78 percent more FYI.

If the game is rendering at 4K internally, then downscaled to fit into a 1080p or 1440p signal, that detail is still present, it just looks a smidge softer due to scaling.

Moreover when you talk about 120fps games, I doubt the ps5 will ever be rendering more than 1080p native, unless it’s a 2d or retro poly style, so in that case you lose nothing by not having a 1440p mode. Unless of course your display’s upscaling chip is not good.

Banned
I don’t think you understand what downsampling is and if you are factoring that in as well, you’re simply wrong.

And it’s actually 78 percent more FYI.

If the game is rendering at 4K internally, then downscaled to fit into a 1080p or 1440p signal, that detail is still present, it just looks a smidge softer due to scaling.

Moreover when you talk about 120fps games, I doubt the ps5 will ever be rendering more than 1080p native, unless it’s a 2d or retro poly style, so in that case you lose nothing by not having a 1440p mode. Unless of course your display’s upscaling chip is not good.

of course you lose detail! how the fuck is this even arguable?

if you downscale an image to 1080p you will lose more information than if you only downscale it to 1440p.

the upscaling afterwards won't make it look better it won't magically add information back in that was lost during the downscaling process.
all the screen will do is strech the image to its full 4k grid and then smooth it a little so it doesn't look all atrifacty

also in case someone would use a 1440p PC screen, that upscaling will be way worse due to those monitors capabilities.
PC Monitors usually have as little image enhancement going on as possible to cut down on latency

Last edited:

BrentonB

Sony is still a Japanese company. PC gaming is not as big a market there as it is elsewhere. I imagine they designed the feature set based on Japanese gamer trends I.e., 'we play on TVs'. 1080p and 4K being the only TV options viable right now you can see how they came to their decision. The fact that 1440p support can be added is good, and I imagine it will be done eventually. It's not arrogant Sony, it's just Japanese Sony.

Last edited:
of course you lose detail! how the fuck is this even arguable?

if you downscale an image to 1080p you will lose more information than if you only downscale it to 1440p.

the upscaling afterwards won't make it look better it won't magically add information back in that was lost during the downscaling process.
all the screen will do is strech the image to its full 4k grid and then smooth it a little so it doesn't look all atrifacty

also in case someone would use a 1440p PC screen, that upscaling will be way worse due to those monitors capabilities.
PC Monitors usually have as little image enhancement going on as possible to cut down on latency
That's why I don't game on monitors, among reasons like lower brightness, worse motion than oled and worse black level than even fald LCD tv's.

You're incorrect, you should research this further.

Banned
That's why I don't game on monitors, among reasons like lower brightness, worse motion than oled and worse black level than even fald LCD tv's.

You're incorrect, you should research this further.

I am not incorrect... wtf are you even talking about?

I would love to @ every tech guy on this site but I don't wanna bother them because it is so obviously wrong what you say about scaling that it's not worth their time

I am not incorrect... wtf are you even talking about?

I would love to @ every tech guy on this site but I don't wanna bother them because it is so obviously wrong what you say about scaling that it's not worth their time
Are you going to have them tell me how 78% more is roughly 2x as well?

Banned
Are you going to have them tell me how 78% more is roughly 2x as well?

I'm not talking about the pixel density (I don't have the exact amount of pixels for every arbitrary resolution in memory), I'm talking about scaling from 1440p and scaling from 1080p

you will lose detail if you downscale to 1080p no matter how good your TV scales it back up to 4k

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Hey, support if you must, but I ensure you there are not many people asking for this, just the vocal minority primarily boosted by console wars.....I had several 1440p monitors before, ages ago. I now have an LG 4k PC monitor with HDR. Even then I don't see myself hooking my PS5 to it even if it has 4K.....That means I won't play my 4k games at 1440p on a monitor period.....A big screen is how consoles were meant to be played.....

There are some nice QLED's and Nanocell tv's out there that supports HDMI 2.1, my current 4k TV is definitely the go to for the PS5 till I buy a 120hz 4k or 8K panel...

chonga

"Explorations are underway"

If they're aware it's being asked for, I mean, why not just go ahead and start working on it rather than seeing if there's "enough" demand.

Anywho. I think most 1440p monitors will take a 4K signal and scale it, at least anything in the last few years, am I wrong?
Because if you worked on every feature people asked for you would need 500,000 developers.

This is about priorities. What do we work on first. That's why they want the demand first. No point working on something that 100 people want when 1,000 people want something else. Demand and complexity are not linked so I don't know why some (not you) are adding things like 'it is that difficult', 'it should be easy for Sony' either.

And yes some monitors do take in 4k source and downsample so for those monitors it will just work and that's what people have done for PS4 Pro.

iHaunter

Japanese executives have their heads so far up their own ass they can see their ass again. Get over yourselves. Didn't they already STATE they were supporting 1440p?

Top Bottom