• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Hideaki Nishino Suggests PSVR Ports to PSVR2 Will Be Difficult.

https://www.thegamer.com/ps-vr2-ports-ps5-backwards-compatibility/
Not only will PS VR2 not be backwards compatible with PS VR games, but we also shouldn't expect to see many ports. That's according to a new interview with Hideaki Nishino, senior vice president of platform experience at Sony, who explains exactly why the controversial decision was made to ditch older VR games on the new model.

In the interview, Nishino says that the VR2's eye-tracking capabilities make porting older games difficult. While explaining that ports will be possible, the Sony boss says it will ultimately come down to individual developers and publishers, as they will have to decide if it's worth it. He also says that some games will be easier than others, suggesting that simpler VR games may be ported over.

"This time, in addition to the new controller tracking, we have adopted a rendering method called 'foveate rendering' that increases the resolution of the part where the eyes are in focus," says Nishino, speaking to Famitsu (via Google Translate). "The system itself is very different from the previous model, it will not be a simple porting work.

"Whether or not it is easy to port depends on the content, and whether it is actually ported depends on the manufacturer."

In other words, don't get a PS VR2 expected to be able to play through older VR games that you missed. It seems that newer games will be the focus of the updated model, with ports only being made if third parties believe it is worthwhile.

For those that were hoping Sony would provide a solution to ease the porting process of PSVR1 games or of other VR games it looks like it won't be too simple and much more complicated, according to Sony's Hideaki.

Turns out the new proprietary rendering Sony will be using is a completely different implementation that isn't very compatible universally with other VR formats, and whether or not there is a port will depend greatly on whether the developer cares to do it.

But to make up for that, Sony has prepared a large launch lineup which is still adding games and we may see more before it's launch in Feb 2023. Imo, Sony believes they can make up for the lack of ports and BC with a large launch and a slew of games releasing not long after.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is kind of a weird article. FR isn't required by every game... it's optional. Some of the games being ported don't even utilize it. It's also kind of overkill for PSVR ports as the games already performed adequately on that older hardware. PS5 should be able to chew through straight ports from that system. If that's what the publishers were aiming for.

The biggest hurdle most likely is the tracking. Now if pubs want to utilize the new features, yeah of course that would require additional time / effort.

Idk... this is kind of a "no shit" answer from him that was contorted into a weird, and pretty dumb, story.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Shouldn’t prevent Sony from porting all the big first party hits like AstroBot
Astro Bot can't be ported to psvr2 without some reworking of the game because of the segments that require a camera to track the light of the Dualshock controller. I think they confirmed it won't be patched.
(but they can always make a sequel).

Astro Bot can't be ported to psvr2 without some reworking of the game because of the segments that require a camera to track the light of the Dualshock controller. I think they confirmed it won't be patched.

They never confirmed it wouldn’t be patched

Why would it not be?

In the sense of a simple patch just to make it compatible, it won't be, it's impossible because of reason stated before.
A reworked version with a new name is possible.

Oh I agree, I think it will get a reworked version.

It’s not straight up BC but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal to get up and running for the biggest games

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It was expected anyway, because the tech is so different between PS VR and PS VR2.

Having said that, I'm pleasantly surprised by how many developers have already announced PS VR 2 updates of their PS VR 1 games, and most of the updates are FREE!

I'm very happy with how the launch lineup is shaping up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Of course some will be difficult And there are one's already porting games, and for free.

Not every piece of junk shovelware needs to be ported, as long as the top bangers are getting the treatment, and most of them seemingly are.
I'll forever be salted that Iron Man PS VR will not ported now that Meta owns them. One of my most favorite PS VR experiences. 😞

I imagine any studio looking to keep making VR games will already be looking into making ports.

I take this as a warning that some games just won't be updated for PSVR2. I really don't want or need my whole library ported. Just the gems.
Pretty much this.

Firewall and NMS already get a PSVR2 update, so I'm good.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Polybius, Rez, Tetris Effect, Moose Life and Thumper would like to have a word with you.
I just meant in terms of taking the time to port from PSVR to PSVR2.

I'm not getting rid of my PSVR just cause PSVR2 is releasing. I'd just like more people to be to experience Rescue Mission, people rave over Playroom on the PS5 but Rescue Mission blows it out of the water.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This thing is DOA unfortunately. Hopefully Sony can get enough money to studios to warrant ports but I don't think many devs are going to bother supporting it after this news on psvr 1 ports. I can't see sales being strong.

Unless your making games for quest your pretty much buggered I think.

dave_d

Hmm, wonder if Moss Book 2, Rick and Morty, Trover, Job Sim, Vacation Sim, and Accounting are going to be ported.(Basically those are the games on PSVR that I haven't bought that I'm interested in.)

jigglet

Banned
Good. Every new gen should be burning the previous one to the ground, like Nintendo does (except Nintendo shouldn't).

This tech needs to advance really rapidly and being constrained by the previous gen won't help.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
This thing is DOA unfortunately. Hopefully Sony can get enough money to studios to warrant ports but I don't think many devs are going to bother supporting it after this news on psvr 1 ports. I can't see sales being strong.

I've read some of your predictions so I feel more confident now I made the right choice preordering. Thanks!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Step 1: Release one of the best VR games, on any platform
Step 2: launch a new, expensive VR platform
Step 3: proudly announce you won’t put the game in step 1 on it

Embarrassing.

Ar¢tos

Step 1: Release one of the best VR games, on any platform
Step 2: launch a new, expensive VR platform
Step 3: proudly announce you won’t put the game in step 1 on it

Embarrassing.
Nothing is stopping them from making changes in the game and re releasing it under "Director's Cut" or other new "same title". It just can't be patched to become compatible with psvr2 like other psvr1 games.
But even that can be complicated, one device uses an external camera to track controller lights, the other has internal cameras and the controllers have no lights.

Last edited:

Three

Developers aren't as dumb as this news. You can port PSVR 1 games without foveated rendering. How the article has taken a quote about a new Foveated rendering technique and turned it into "ports are difficult" I will never know.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Turns out the new proprietary rendering Sony will be using is a completely different implementation that isn't very compatible universally with other VR formats, and whether or not there is a port will depend greatly on whether the developer cares to do it.
What the hell are you talking about?

RaySoft

He's talking about ports taking advantage of the PSVR2's new features, wich ofc must be incorporated into the port if needed.
That's why he means it's not just a simple port anymore. But a port doesn't require to incorporate these things.

midnightAI

PSVR 2 is specifically designed to be more port friendly

PSVR 2 will reportedly make it easier for developers to port over their existing games.

As reported by IGN PlayStation has specifically designed the PSVR 2 headset to make porting games easier for developers. That's not just existing virtual reality games either; it's apparently going to be easier for developers to turn their existing games into VR versions.

The news originates from Sony Interactive Entertainment's Yasuo Takahashi and Kenjo Akiyama, speaking recently during a CEDEC 2022 event. In short, PSVR 2 development uses the same SDK as PS5 games, so in theory, this linkage should make it easier for developers to bring over their PS5 games to the VR device.

Additionally, the PSVR 2 production environment supports games made with both the Unity and Unreal game engines. Again, in theory, this is being floated with the potential of creating games using either engine easier to bring to the new-gen headset when it launches.

So which one is it?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've got a feeling a lot of third party games will just use fixed foveated rendering.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nothing is stopping them from making changes in the game and re releasing it under "Director's Cut" or other new "same title". It just can't be patched to become compatible with psvr2 like other psvr1 games.
But even that can be complicated, one device uses an external camera to track controller lights, the other has internal cameras and the controllers have no lights.
Sony ported Tearaway from Vita to PS4. Tearaway was a game explicitly designed to use all of Vita’s weird functions, almost none of which are on PS4. Like I said, embarrassing.

Markio128

I’m mostly in it for the new stuff - although, I’m pleased to see NMS get an updated version, only because I didn’t get chance to try it on PSVR.

drezz

Easy work around.
Astro uses two buttons(Which is also on a single Sense controller) Jump and Punch.
On the left side its the stick to move Astro around, which one can use normaly with the left Sense controller.
But it needs the touchpad from the Dualshock for slinging ninja stars and ropes about.

How about putting both Sense controllers in the game as Gloves that you use too pick up the VIRTUAL Dualshock and use Sense controller fingers to touch the pad?

As you said, this seems a bit to much for just a patch and a "Directors cut" would more likely fit the described change.

midnightAI

Sony ported Tearaway from Vita to PS4. Tearaway was a game explicitly designed to use all of Vita’s weird functions, almost none of which are on PS4. Like I said, embarrassing.
Who said Astro bot wont be ported to PSVR 2 though, you keep saying it isnt being ported but who has said that?
The only slight sticking point is the original game tracked the controller which can no longer be done, but at the same time, doesn't need to be because the PSVR 2 controllers now have most of the functionality of the regular controller (minus the touch pad, but similar can be done with gestures, for example, as the above post mentioned throwing stars, you can actually throw them with the PSVR controllers with a flick of the wrist on one of the controllers)

Last edited:

Three

Who said Astro bot wont be ported to PSVR 2 though, you keep saying it isnt being ported but who has said that?
The only slight sticking point is the original game tracked the controller which can no longer be done, but at the same time, doesn't need to be because the PSVR 2 controllers now have most of the functionality of the regular controller (minus the touch pad, but similar can be done with gestures, for example, as the above post mentioned throwing stars, you can actually throw them with the PSVR controllers with a flick of the wrist on one of the controllers)
Wouldn't even need implementing gestures of the entire controller. The Sense controllers track your fingers. Just use the same finger flick for throwing ninja stars as the touchpad.

yurinka

Yes, the tracking of the head and the controllers is completely different and since PSVR was a very experimental first step of a technology there's a lot of game specific programming and related tricks, fixes and tweaks in PSVR for things like trying to avoid or reduce motion sicknes, headaches and so on.

Code that would break or wouldn't match results when put as it was in a very different system, and it isn't as simple as to replace only the system side OS detection of camera and controls management, games had a lot of related stuff on the game specific side of the game, so that would need to be adapted.

The game code itself would run via BC and wouldn't need big changes because it uses the same PS5 SDK which is an updated version of the same PS4/PSVR SDK, but changes are needed in the game side at least to change the camera and controls side. And in addition to this, the rendering now works differently using the foveated rendering so also needs to be adapted.

In the sense of a simple patch just to make it compatible, it won't be, it's impossible because of reason stated before.
A reworked version with a new name is possible.
If desired technically could be a simple free upgrade patch. I think it will be the case for No Man's Sky or RE Village owners.

But the thing is that to adapt the game from PSVR1 to PSVR2 requires way more work than non-VR PS4 to PS5 adaptations. More work means more costs, so more chances of needing to charge for the upgrade or even to resell it separatedly as a different game/title without a free or cheap upgrade.

they port exclusives to PC yet cannot support their own second gen VR platform? pathetic
Sony never said that can't support it. In fact they announced dozens of titles for it including launch titles that include an entry of a major 1st party AAA IP (Horizon) an entry -or two- for a major 3rd party AAA IP (RE) and also support from major indie IPs (like Among Us or No Man's Sky).

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was responding to a guy who said it won’t be, only that a sequel can be made.

midnightAI

Wouldn't even need implementing gestures of the entire controller. The Sense controllers track your fingers. Just use the same finger flick for throwing ninja stars as the touchpad.
Thats true to a degree, but I think that only tracks if you are touching a button or not (and also part of the controller itself) and so you cant do actual gestures with that unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom