• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan: “It's time to give fans something that can only be enjoyed on PlayStation 5”

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ssssneaky sssony fanssss...im not singling out anyone but i'll just single out anyways! 😹

lol 😂 sure buddy, if you feel called out... is there something that feels familiar in that quote ;)? Or do you want to state that other people do it to and “what about them?”?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I went from "i dont know that Jim, i am not sure" to "Hey, he GETS it"
This. Mark Cerny and Jim Ryan have a clear understanding of what PlayStation gamers want the most and that's hardcore games built from the ground up for PS5

I'm sure Shu is snagging up some quality indie game exclusivity deals too

Last edited:
Show us Jim, don't tell.
thequint%2F2020-05%2Fa4a259f7-261d-494a-8458-be1425b3654d%2FWhatsApp_Image_2020_05_29_at_10_52_02_PM.jpeg

Watch this event and find out if it's true?

The timing was the biggest issue of that tweet. Just seems reactionary in my opinion.

he’s a marketing guy on twitter, though

reacting is...normal? Right?

edit

would it really have made a difference if he waited a day, a week, a month, etc?

I think the same people would have labeled it “damage control” regardless

Last edited:
he’s a marketing guy on twitter, though

reacting is...normal? Right?

edit

would it really have made a difference if he waited a day, a week, a month, etc?

I think the same people would have labeled it “damage control” regardless

I'm going to wait and see how he reacts to the event.

But I agree with the sentiment that it's just the head marketing doing his job. Although it seems a little petty in my opinion.

Anyways it seems like your a little worked up. Is something bothering you?

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Wall of text.

Could you please highlight the most relevant parts?

No one complains about having backwards compatibility.

What is problematic is Microsoft stance on forward compatibility - because it ultimately mean all their games have to be designed for lowest common denominator.

Also being pro-consumer is in an eye of beholder. If you are not buying new console then sure it's nice that new games are released for your machine. But if you spend 500-600$ (for console with extra pad and all other accessories ) you want games that use your new machines as well as possible.

Since I plan to buy one this year I prefer generational approach which rewards me for being early adopter with new exclusive games.
Do you have any evidence that MS stance is holding anything back? Has there ever been a launch title that blew away the best of a previous generation? I believe Halo infinite will rate higher than any PS5 launch title. I bet Ghosts and Last of Us II will also be better than any PS5 launch title too. Did MS say would support Xbox One forever or just a year or two? Didn't Sony fans say that the most powerful hardware didn't matter? It's about the games right? There is nothing wrong with MS's stance.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Their games for first year are CROSSGEN. They never, ever said anything about forward compatibility.

I think you didn't understand me. I'm saying PS5 games will be made with the whole SSD thing in mind. Xbox games wont in the first year. So there will be a big advantage for PS5 there.

kuncol02

Banned
I think you didn't understand me. I'm saying PS5 games will be made with the whole SSD thing in mind. Xbox games wont in the first year. So there will be a big advantage for PS5 there.
You still can make XSX game with SSD in mind.
That whole discussion is pointless anyway, because MS has like three studios which currently could make some launch game. Rest of them is still finishing projects from before acquisition or just released something. For first year we will get probably Halo and new Forza from first party games. And that's my optimistic list.

Dory16

Banned
So I guess the competition is going to do the same since they had some remasters in the past.

:lollipop_expressionless:

Seriously just because Sony and Microsoft had remasters in the past doesn't mean they will do the same in the future.
I don't mind remasters as long as I'm not being charged full price if I already own the previous version. We both know that only one platform holder will (potentially) be doing that next gen. They believe in generations, unless there's an opportunity to get more money from you using older generations. And even this current gen, MS first party remasters were available day one on GP at no extra cost.

MS first party remasters were available day one on GP at no extra cost.

Game pass? That's a subscription service.

As for the PS4 Pro the patches were free for the system. The same types of enhancements will be available for patched PS4 titles on the PS5. However of Sony decides to remake a game for the PS5 that costs development and money so they will probably charge for that.

Also since you mentioned history I'll just point this out.

Cross-Buy.png

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Game pass? That's a subscription service.

As for the PS4 Pro the patches were free for the system. The same types of enhancements will be available for patched PS4 titles on the PS5. However of Sony decides to remake a game for the PS5 that costs development and money so they will probably charge for that.

Also since you mentioned history I'll just point this out.

Cross-Buy.png
PlayStation owns a subscription service too, if I'm not mistaken. How about making the first party remasters available there for free since they wont put their first party games day one on PSNow? You're becoming a bit disingenuous through your determination to defend any consumer practice adopted by Sony. I am speaking about forcing consumers to double dip from one generation to the next. Not about patches between mid-gen refreshes. As if we should be thankful that PS4 games continued to work on the PS4 PRO.

It's not your role as a consumer to defend what Sony charges you. Common sense would require that you request the same level consumer friendliness that the competition offers their customers. That's what the free economy enables. Leave it to Sony's shareholders to lobby for passing more and more costs to the consumer. The market corrects that kind of behaviour through competition but of course not if the consumer is sheepishly embracing practices that go against his interest.

As for history, we don't have to go back too far. As a matter of fact, how about we look at the near future? Assasins Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk 2077 will be available for free on XSX to Xbox owners of the game. No info from the publishers of those games regarding PS5 versions. But I bet since it may cost Sony money to put those games on PS5 you will gladly pay again for those and say thank you at the till right?

PlayStation owns a subscription service too, if I'm not mistaken. How about making the first party remasters available there for free since they wont put their first party games day one on PSNow? You're becoming a bit disingenuous through your determination to defend any consumer practice adopted by Sony. I am speaking about forcing consumers to double dip from one generation to the next. Not about patches between mid-gen refreshes. As if we should be thankful that PS4 games continued to work on the PS4 PRO.

It's not your role as a consumer to defend what Sony charges you. Common sense would require that you request the same level consumer friendliness that the competition offers their customers. That's what the free economy enables. Leave it to Sony's shareholders to lobby for passing more and more costs to the consumer. The market corrects that kind of behaviour through competition but of course not if the consumer is sheepishly embracing practices that go against his interest.

As for history, we don't have to go back too far. As a matter of fact, how about we look at the near future? Assasins Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk 2077 will be available for free on XSX to Xbox owners of the game. No info from the publishers of those games regarding PS5 versions. But I bet since it may cost Sony money to put those games on PS5 you will gladly pay again for those and say thank you at the till right?

Ask the developers to incorporate cross buy into their games instead of charging consumers twice for them. But this hasn't been confirmed yet correct?

To be fair alot hasn't even been confirmed with the PS5 yet when it comes to these types of policies. Might I suggest waiting a little to see if they have them?

It's kind of like the RDNA1 thing. Just because Sony didn't confirm it when Microsoft did didn't mean that they didn't have RDNA2 in the system.

Also when it comes to backwards compatibility there's this.

SQx9xKJ6aXa3w4BZzgUy3h.jpg

It's already been confirmed by Mark that the PS5 can upgrade the PS4 versions. So before assuming that it isn't possible I suggest watching Marks segment on BC again.

Oh and if a game is fully remade for the PS5 then developers should be able to charge for it or keep the previous versions at full price to compensate for the costs of development.

Damn, so people that recently bought Playstations are just SOL?
Why so? If you waited this long to buy a PS4, you are not in a hurry to buy a PS5 anyway. And you will have a huge backlog. I am pretty sure you are not talking about yourself, but an imagery customer who didn't exist.

People will keep buying PS4 because of the PS4 library that already exists. That was how it worked the last three generations.

Last edited:
Why so? If you waited this long to buy a PS4, you are not in a hurry to buy a PS5 anyway. And you will have a huge backlog. I am pretty sure you are not talking about yourself, but an imagery customer who didn't exist.

Not to mention Sony confirmed the existence of the PS5 last year. If people couldn't wait for the system that's on them.

So people that just got a PS4 / PS4 Pro will be able to play Sony's new 1st party games that release on PS5?

The cross gen games that is. Remember Sony didn't say that all games won't be cross gen. The games that are built to take full advantage of the PS5s hardware will not work on the PS4. The same will happen with Xbox since Microsoft confirmed that this cross gen status will only last a couple of years. Sony are just making next gen exclusives earlier.

Which is why all eyes are that PS5 event. People really want to see what next gen exclusives will look like.

Sethbacca

Damn, so people that recently bought Playstations are just SOL?

First time owning a console? One only needs to look at about 40 years of consoles to notice that (shocker!!!) A new one comes out every 6-7 years and the it becomes the standard for new games. Gamers not getting this basic fact about their hobby is seriously the dumbest shit I've read recently.

93xfan

Banned
Wonder if they’re trying to leverage the full SSD bandwidth in an exclusive game. Or maybe they’re going to show off controller or VR features.

First time owning a console? One only needs to look at about 40 years of consoles to notice that (shocker!!!) A new one comes out every 6-7 years and the it becomes the standard for new games. Gamers not getting this basic fact about their hobby is seriously the dumbest shit I've read recently.
Looks like MS might be trying to break that cycle giving even recent adoptors bang for their buck. Far cry from the DRM days right guys?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Looks like MS might be trying to break that cycle giving even recent adoptors bang for their buck. Far cry from the DRM days right guys?

BC, not their invention, already covered a lot of that and will cover across the spectrum... tons of recent adopters keep getting great games and will for a while: PlayStation tends not to have 1-2 years droughts as a new console is finalised, announced and released... while people that buy the new console do it mostly to get new experiences (it is easier and more dost effective without having to a of HW varieties to target which means more diverse and niche experiences too as the risk is lower).

New generations and the generations model also allow smaller companies to have a chance at grabbing the spotlight which increases healthy... win win :).

Top Bottom