• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

Vashetti

Banned
Another concern occasionally raised by PlayStation devotees involves the company's once-ubiquitous PlayStation 2. While Sony has in recent years devoted resources to bringing a handful of popular older titles to the PlayStation 4, the better part of that library is lost to time. For now, it seems that's where it'll remain. "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/

giphy.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
obviously the old rope-a-dope to throw everyone off before they announce PS3 (with PS2/PS1) and PS TV backwards compatibility next week.

I-hate-u

Worst games to make type of comment on. Shitting on the older GT games when the newer ones are disappointing is asking for trouble.

killroy87

I complately believe him. I know there is an audience out there for it, but considering the amount of work and resources it takes to make BC viable, it seems like such a waste. Just keep your old systems.

Fuchsdh

I guess since PlayStation globally has a healthy lead over Xbox they are a bit blind to the idea MS is pushing in creating an inclusive platform where "all" your games live.

Ashilyn

Gran Turismo is a terrible example. Of course that's a game that looks dated and that most people would probably play the newer one of instead of an old one. But what about older action games and RPGs, where there aren't iterative versions of a franchise but rather just the one game that exists and that people absolutely want to play again? That's like saying "Look at Madden 02. Why would anyone want to go back to that?"

Come the fuck on, man.

EDIT: I've never bought into the idea of BC as a necessity, and I do think people get overzealous in their demand for it sometimes. But this is insane, to say there's no demand and question why anyone would want to go back to that. Absolutely insane.

I-hate-u

I complately believe him. I know there is an audience out there for it, but considering the amount of work and resources it takes to make BC viable, it seems like such a waste. Just keep your old systems.

Sure, but his "why would anybody play this" is Don Mattrick level type of answer.

What an awful attitude. Fact is, more playable games on a system = better for everybody. Publishers can sell extra copies of old games on the digital store, and consumers have a larger library of games.

90% of games I played through b/c on my Xbone have been games I've never had the chance to play last gen. Currently going through RDR, which I want to do before playing RDR2. Without this feature, I would never have the chance to play Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Dead Space, etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This bums me out. I know PS3 BC is a tough nut to crack but I really want Sony to move toward having games from all gens be accessible on PSN, especially PS4 titles on PS5. I also really want PS1 classics on PS4.

Dsyndrome

Well, seeing as you stopped production on the systems that play the vast majority of those old games, both digital and physical, what's your solution?

Sony is really arrogant about that. Like when they said there was no value in EA Access...

They better have BC for PS4 when PS5 comes out.

farisr

So stupid. Especially Gran Turismo of all games. Not a good look with the newer one lacking in offline content.

FelipeMGM

Thats a deflective and somewhat ignorant comment. Just look how much people are playing BC games on XB1

heck, Blops2 even charted on the NPD after it was available there

Top Bottom