• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's next move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerotan

Microsoft are really throwing down the gauntlet. Bethesda, Minecraft and now Activision Blizzard. There will likely be more.

Sony are in a very strong position and continue to get Minecraft and will likely continue to get call of duty and some other Activision games.

However their position of power they find themselves in is weakened going forward and with more acquisitions inevitable surely they'll react?

Possible moves for Sony.

1. Buy a publisher.

The obvious list is Sega, Konami, kadowa, Ubisoft, Take 2 or Square Enix.

With sony open to PC ports buying a publisher is now more feasible as they'd make a bigger return on their investment compared to making their games playstation only. This could be part of their strategy change.

2. Merge with Nintendo. Both are Japanese and together would have the greatest line up in gaming with an insanely big fan base. They also don't directly compete much so together would be a huge force to be reckoned with.

Is it time they bury their differences and merge? A 2 console strategy moving forward would make sense. The portable / hybrid switch and the powerful traditional home console. They'd also have more buying power for the likes of Ubisoft or Take 2.

3. Sony gets bought out by Apple or Google. I'm not sure what sort of money we'd be talking here? 300BN? I've no idea but what I do know is Apple and Google have been desperate to get into gaming and owning Sony and the PlayStation brand would guarantee a dominant position in future. I'm also not sure if the Japanese government would allow this but maybe a merger between Apple/Google and Sony instead? Again I'm not sure if it's allowed.

4. Merge with EA. Sony are much bigger then EA but I don't think they could ever afford them. Could a merger be possible? EA made no secrets in the past they'd like to make a console of their own. Well now they'd have playstation under their belt and playstation would have EA.

Do any of the above make sense and is there a 5th option?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Whatever it is, I just don't think it'll be number 2.

Sony might or might not be in trouble, but Nintendo is doing well doing what they've always done: their own damn thing. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Plantoid

Only chance is Sony being aquired by Amazon or apple, or meta

They simply don't have the money to go on a bidding war for publishers

Or they can pull a Nintendo and strengthen their first party even more

They will purchase another support studio no one has heard about to port more of their franchises to PC. This will be enough to quell the Microsoft storm.
Vladimir Putin Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont think Apple/Google would have to buy Sony as a whole. They could just buy PlayStation.

They dont need the cameras, TVs and shit.

This way they would avoid legal trouble in Japan etc

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Do their thing.

It's always hilarious that people think this has to be tit for tat.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
What would a Nintendo Sony merger even look like in practice?

Nintendo are uber conservative and child focussed - no messaging, handles, voice chat etc. Sony love the 18+ rated games; Abbie taking it up the shitter in The Last of Us 2 etc.

Sony - tech leader, sold at a loss or small profit. Nintendo - conservative tech, sell at a profit day 1.

Both Japanese but fundamentally different in every way.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Concentrate on the Ps5. They can't fight MS in any other arena than the console selling business, and they only way to do that is to make games exclusively for your latest console. The Ps5 can continue to outsell the XBox, but only if there are the games on it to play. Enough with the cross gen bullshit, and the PC ports. Return to what won you the last generation. Court the attention and cooperation of talented devs and publishers. Be the place they go to to get away from the monolithic MS.

Also buy From Software.

Last edited:
Just stay the course and keep releasing dope games. Its just time to compete, microsoft is making the moves they feel they need, sony should continue making the moves that have proved successful for them.

Kerotan

What would a Nintendo Sony merger even look like in practice?

Nintendo are uber conservative and child focussed - no messaging, handles, voice chat etc. Sony love the 18+ rated games; Abbie taking it up the shitter in The Last of Us 2 etc.

Sony - tech leader, sold at a loss or small profit. Nintendo - conservative tech, sell at a profit day 1.

Both Japanese but fundamentally different in every way.
They could keep both these strategies in terms of the hardware except now the software would diverge. Nintendo titles on playstation and PlayStation titles either ported to the portable or playable via steaming.

Nautilus

Banned
"2 - Merge with Nintendo"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ahhh, man, I hate todays news because of the consolidation happening, but it always brightens my mood when I see stuff like this.

No my friend, I don't think that Nintendo wants to buy Sony. Not now anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom