• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS4 Team Makes Disabled Fan's Day

Krakn3Dfx

I gotta get me a wheelchair.
3899332725_525abf3fba_o.jpg

Joking!

Not to discount Sony's response which was truly fantastic, but this seems to be going out of the way to paint MS more negatively. They obviously did apologize if the quote is accurate.
I agree. Sony going the extra mile is fantastic honestly, but from the article it doesn't seem like the MS guy did anything too wrong. I think it's one of those things where you had to be there.

Mesoian

Something I'm missing. What kind of exhibition hall doesn't have an elevator?

Quite a few actually. Especially if they're in smaller cities or secondary venues, or if they set up temporary risers where the games are so they're not cluttering up the show floor proper.

statham

Good job Sony if true. I'm sure some Gaffers went to this event will chime in soon.

saw this on reddit, don't know if it was that booth. but its marked ebexpo
Sony-PlayStation-EBExpo-Booth-01-600x337.jpg

Sethos

Banned
Or maybe you just didn't get the joke and took it seriously.

No, a joke has to be funny -- You can see nobody else is laughing or even 'getting' this so-called joke. You can't just spew stupid shit and then hide behind the "LOLOL IT WAS A JOEK GAIS :D".

Dinda

Whoa, that's pretty terrible and backwards. They should consider renovating it to include lifts or something. A venue used for notable expos and events, yet disabled visitors are excluded from anything on the second floor?

I'm still not sure if the story is true, but that venue is some terrible planning.

It isn't the second floor. It's probably a big high hall and some of the companies build booths that have second floors (our company does that also on our main trade fair).
But it's just something constructed from the booth builder not something permanent in the building

watership

Yeah... this smells of bullshit to me. I can't believe even under their current run of shit, MS PR would be this bad. And, what, did the Sony representatives at the show just have vouchers for free PS4s out the back? Is that typical for an expo?

See this is what bugs me. How is this bad PR? What if MS never even knew about it? They could have asked a event guy, "Can we get up to the Xbox booth?" and been told, "No.". If Sony guy overhears this and shoots it up his boss, that's good PR, and if MS doesn't hear about it, it's bad PR. People are saying that the fact that Xbox truck was locked was bad PR. *Brainmelt*.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Haven't seen anything on Reddit.
Anyone can find a link to the topic on Reddit?

It was deleted - probably because they didn't provide a source. I imagine it'll pop up again later now that someone provided the Facebook link

No, a joke has to be funny -- You can see nobody else is laughing or even 'getting' this so-called joke. You can't just spew stupid shit and then hide behind the "LOLOL IT WAS A JOEK GAIS :D".
I got it, and the first thing I thought when I read the OP was that someone was going to make a joke about how they wish they were disabled to get a PS4.

Just because you don't think something is funny doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be humorous. People miss jokes here all the time and over react.

See this is what bugs me. How is this bad PR? What if MS never even knew about it? They could have asked a event guy, "Can we get up to the Xbox booth?" and been told, "No.". If Sony guy overhears this and shoots it up his boss, that's good PR, and if MS doesn't hear about it, it's bad PR. People are saying that the fact that Xbox truck was locked was bad PR. *Brainmelt*.
In some peoples mind, everything an employee of a gaming company does is PR.

Is MS hiring a jackass really that controversial?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Whoa, that's pretty terrible and backwards. They should consider renovating it to include lifts or something. A venue used for notable expos and events, yet disabled visitors are excluded from anything on the second floor?

I'm still not sure if the story is true, but that venue is some terrible planning.

if it is the usual kind of exhibition centre, they are huge open areas with temporary buildings made for each event. There is simply no way they could put elevators in for specific booths. Having said that, it does seem a bit silly to have your premier products hidden away upstairs -normally you'd have those spaces for meeting rooms etc.

Sethos

Banned
I got it, and the first thing I thought when I read the OP was that someone was going to make a joke about how they wish they were disabled to get a PS4.

Just because you don't think something is funny doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be humorous. People miss jokes here all the time and over react.

Yes, let's throw around racial slurs next, pretend they are jokes and then someone can claim they got it. There's jokes and there's stupid ass statements.

But hey you got it, joke of the century then, thread became so much better, 9/10 - Let's move on.

It isn't the second floor. It's probably a big high hall and some of the companies build booths that have second floors (our company does that also on our main trade fair).
But it's just something constructed from the booth builder not something permanent in the building
That makes more sense.

Geez, I'm only disabled enough that everyone treats me like I'm faking it. The only people who've taken me seriously are the doctors who've prescribed tests and seen the results. One doctor told me "you shouldn't even have been able to get out of bed to make it to your appointment," and another (in her 60s and head of her department) said I was the sickest patient she'd ever seen.

But no, I don't have something like a wheelchair or a disease with any specific name, so people, like my former boss, are always trying to make me do things healthy people would do, or have unrealistic expectations ("if you're struggling for cash, why don't you donate blood/get a job in construction/work 90 hours a week McDonald's style?") that I can barely manage.

So I'm stuck with all the disadvantages of disability and all the disadvantages of health, with none of the advantages of either.

*salty whining*
Lol

Yes, let's throw around racial slurs next, pretend they are jokes and then someone can claim they got it. There's jokes and there's stupid ass statements.
You're saying that as if there aren't racial jokes. Again, just because you don't think something is funny doesn't mean it's not a joke.

The whole point of the joke was to get people like you to quote him and be amazed that he would say it.

https://www.facebook.com/EBGamesAus/posts/613545955350425

Had an amazing day at the EBGames Expo yesterday and here's my little story and massive thanks to Sony and EBGames for hosting the event! (For the purpose of the story I will let you know I am in a wheelchair)

We were going around the Expo as you do, looking at all the different booths and games when we ended up at the Sony Australia section. Itching to test out the new next gen consoles we went inside and a worker there asked if we needed any help with anything, I answered "Yes, I'd like to know where to go to test the PlayStation 4" the worker replied "Oh there's an issue with that but please wait, I will get someone to explain to you and I think you'll be very pleased with our solution".

Wondering what was going on we waited, and after a few minutes along came a Representative of Sony Australia and explained "First of all, I'd like to say that Sony deeply apologises as we have made a massive oversight in regards to supporting our disabled player base and we have placed all the PlayStation 4's upstairs and with no way to get you up there. Again we are extremely sorry, it really should never have happened but because it is totally our fault and we always support our disabled player base, we would like to offer something in return along with our sincerest apology. Please could you leave you name and contact details with us and we will give you a PlayStation 4 on release day." I was shocked and said "The whole console, on release day and for free??!?!". He said "Yes, absolutely, it's the least we can do for what we have done here."

So for myself, and my 3 friends also in wheelchairs. We all are getting free PlayStation 4's!!

The XBox area had the exact same setup and all we were told is "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it" and were sent off.

Sony weren't walking around with printed vouchers for free PS4s lol, they took their contact info.

At first I read the title as Sony was making a disabled fan day like a holiday then i read the article. Good for Sony to do something like this. Going the extra mile is always impressive.

Zemm

It honestly sounds like one of those chain letters. "if you like this pass it on OR SOMEONE WILL DIE".

Top Bottom