• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS4 Team Makes Disabled Fan's Day

Cidd

A gamer expressed happiness at Sony's support for the disabled playerbase in a posting on Facebook today. According to the gamer, who goes by RandomHypnotica on Reddit, the gamer and his or her three friends were in wheelchairs when they went to the EBGames Expo which took place over the weekend in Australia.

Itching to test out the new hardware and get their hands on the new PlayStation 4, the gamers made their way over to the Sony booth, where they were then informed that due to an oversight on Sony's part, the PS4 units were all upstairs, without wheelchair access.

To counter their dismay, the Sony representative said something along the lines of "We are extremely sorry, it should have never happened but because it is totally our fault, and we always support our disabled player base, we would like to offer something along with our sincerest apology" and handed all four gamers a voucher and a promise for free PlayStation 4 units on release day.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/17876/article/sony-s-ps4-team-makes-disabled-fan-s-day/

Good job on Sony's part, they also went to the MS section....

Also the disabled gamer original post from facebook.

Had an amazing day at the EBGames Expo yesterday and here's my little story and massive thanks to Sony and EBGames for hosting the event! (For the purpose of the story I will let you know I am in a wheelchair)

We were going around the Expo as you do, looking at all the different booths and games when we ended up at the Sony Australia section. Itching to test out the new next gen consoles we went inside and a worker there asked if we needed any help with anything, I answered "Yes, I'd like to know where to go to test the PlayStation 4" the worker replied "Oh there's an issue with that but please wait, I will get someone to explain to you and I think you'll be very pleased with our solution".

Wondering what was going on we waited, and after a few minutes along came a Representative of Sony Australia and explained "First of all, I'd like to say that Sony deeply apologises as we have made a massive oversight in regards to supporting our disabled player base and we have placed all the PlayStation 4's upstairs and with no way to get you up there. Again we are extremely sorry, it really should never have happened but because it is totally our fault and we always support our disabled player base, we would like to offer something in return along with our sincerest apology. Please could you leave you name and contact details with us and we will give you a PlayStation 4 on release day." I was shocked and said "The whole console, on release day and for free??!?!". He said "Yes, absolutely, it's the least we can do for what we have done here."

So for myself, and my 3 friends also in wheelchairs. We all are getting free PlayStation 4's!!

The XBox area had the exact same setup and all we were told is "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it" and were sent off. Typical!

Thank you so much Sony! You are so amazing! And thank you EBGames for a great expo

QP3

Good if true, but is the only source a post on facebook? Like...that's it?

Edit: better, a post on reddit too! I lol'd at this part...

The gamers then made their way over to the Microsoft/Xbox One area of the convention and were simply told, "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it" and sent off without even a simple apology.

Sounds legit.

The gamers then made their way over to the Microsoft/Xbox One area of the convention and were simply told, "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it" and sent off without even a simple apology.

Wow. Night and day.

Sony's been on a roll since they released the "See The Future" teaser back in January I think. Also, compare this news with the locked Xbox One SUV thread lol.

Edit:

I realized that it's possible that this isn't true.

Read it on r/gaming. I want to believe this but I dunno. Just giving PS4s like that is a kindness too high from Sony IMO. Guess we'll see once the PS4 launches.

Kru

I like to picture several sony tech guys all standing around conferring what to do about it, eventually about to surrender, when all of a sudden jack tretton appears from nowhere and kicks down a row of stalls bellowing "Not So Fast!" and brings out vouchers in the most dramatic fashion possible.

Jack Tretton AWAAAAAYY!

QP3

True, but had Sony posted about it, it would've come off as a mere PR stunt would it have not?

Probably, but if it happened to me I would have taken a bunch of pictures and what not. I am not trying to say this didn't/couldn't happen, just that a post on FB is a sketchy source. I really hope it is true.

DBT85

Sure there were Gaffers there. Were they both upstairs and were there no lifts?

IF it was true, that MS response is golden. But that's an IF the size of Texas.

Alienous

I was sure this was a joke until I read the article.

Well, +1 to Sony.

Mondy

Banned
I'll give Sony the benefit of the doubt and believe this is true, but only coming from them. EB Games don't know what goodwill is.

Very happy for these 4 guys :)

It won't make me buy a PS4 at launch but the thing is only good when it's done without any interest. So I hope it won't be used as PR material so they can explain how "nice" is the Sony brand.

Edt : didn't read the whole article so didn't read the MS part.. now I think that the guy they met at the Microsoft stand wasn't the right one. If they had the chance to meet an official MS person or a PR representative they would have probably left with an Xbox One too.

People are mostly good. It's not a question about brands here, it's just people. Lucky for Sony whether the person was a better one than MS's or Sony's person had enough weight in the company so he can make this decision on its own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they have vouchers ready printed to give people free PS4s? is that likely?

Do Sony make it a habit of fucking over disabled people so much that they need a stack of pre-printed vouchers to make them go away? (sarcasm)

Was with you right up until the MS part.

I mean come on. That cant be true. Everyone involved with the xbox one isnt some kind of super villain.

Mesoian

Sony's PR has, oddly, strangely, bizzarely, become the strongest games related PR team in the business.

They've been absolutely killing it over the past 6 months. It would be great if they could use some of that magic for their software partners. Sly4 definitely could have used it.

Top Bottom