• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS5 year 1 exclusive lineup looks stacked

A small Add-On is your system seller? If they actually make this game 60 bucks, then they are nuts.
I LOVE that you skipped over my reasoning for it and just quoted the first part. If you can tell me that there is a game releasing on either PS5 or Series X this holiday that has greater mass appeal... then YOU are Nuts. Come on, give me a title and the reason why. I love a good debate, lets debate it.

I can walk down the street and show a picture of Spider-Man to almost any random person, of nearly any age, and they'll recognize who he is. What other character from their consoles launch can you say that about?

Last edited:
What even is going to be out at release? Spiderman? I don't really care for the miles version of the character unless pete's gonna be in it as well. I usually try to get both consoles if they launch together, but may not be worth this go around

Jubenhimer

I always had a feeling the PS5 would host even more third party exclusives than the PS4 did, which was already a step up from the PS3 where most of that console's exclusives were published by Sony.

pr0cs

The bugs did ruin it a lot for people
it was a disaster and ruined the LBP property for a lot of people, myself included. Sony should also get lambasted for allowing such a turd to be released, at launch the game was a nightmare, falling through the game world, crashes, disconnects despawing elements. The list goes on.

Sumo shouldn't be considered for any "must buy" software which is why I wouldn't include Sackboy on any list worth mentioning.

tenor.gif
Do not reply if you are hinting at Silent Hill.

Gaz

PS5's year 1 looks way better than the PS4's starting few years. They really were weak.

Remember Knack? Then Driveclub. The Order (shudder)....it was a series of lows until Bloodborne came out to change the tide.

PS5 is looking so much better and will break the Sony trend of having really weak start. We could be seeing a few 90+ meta titles in the first year alone!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
BOTH console launches will be better than what they were in 2013 and probably be in the top 3 of all time.

Spider Man: Miles Morales as a launch title is huge. Hoping the actual sequel is still Fall 2022. Would have liked to see gameplay though considering the game is 5 months away.

Godfall will definitely be purchased, played and completed but since it's a timed console exclusive, I'll just wait for the Series X version because if it's a live service game, that means there will be a shitload of post launch content and if I decide to go digital with it, I prefer to have all of my digital purchases on Series X.

Horizon II: Forbidden West is going to be amazing but like with Spider Man, I wish they showed gameplay. If they're truly a year or so away, why not show gameplay. I'm sticking with February 2022 as the release date. Whenever it does release, it's day one.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart looked excellent and loved the gameplay. Want to know more about the rifts and how that affects completing the planets and whatnot. Nevertheless, it's day one. I'm expecting Spring 2021.

Returnal is most likely a day one purchase as I love Housemarque but if it's a rogue game where when you die, you start at the beginning, it will be a pass. If it's on level by level basis then okay but if im several levels in, die and go back to the very beginning, then it will be a pass for me. I'm thinking 2022 though.

Zero interest in Astro's Playroom, Destruction All Stars, Sackboy, Demon's Souls Remake and Gran Turismo 7. If I end up with 4 exclusives within the first 26 months, that will easily surpass what I had for PlayStation 4 in the same time frame. Not including Godfall since I will most likely be playing it on Series X.

Looking forward to Sony's August showcase as I can't wait to see how many more games I add to my futurelog game list.

Business

I want to believe in Sackboy because I love 3D World so much, but at best it will be the poor man's version of it.

I LOVE that you skipped over my reasoning for it and just quoted the first part. If you can tell me that there is a game releasing on either PS5 or Series X this holiday that has greater mass appeal... then YOU are Nuts. Come on, give me a title and the reason why. I love a good debate, lets debate it.
Spiderman as a brand after all those super hero movies, eventhough the marvels avengers game from se looks like it will flop. Also the brand name doesn't matter people are not buying consoles for small games. System seller will be Fifa and Cod, spiderman will be fanboy-war argument. Also don't forget many ps4 players are just x360 players that didn't wanted the xbox-spy-one. Tell them there is a good halo and Nostalgia they will go there. Didn't MCC on steam even prove this?

Vawn

Banned
The Godfall hate has to stop.

It's just a tight playing, Destiny X Demons Souls game. Only they want you to play with one or two of your friends.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe it's the Sonic movie again. But, as of now, it looks average at best to me.

PS5's year 1 looks way better than the PS4's starting few years. They really were weak.

Remember Knack? Then Driveclub. The Order (shudder)....it was a series of lows until Bloodborne came out to change the tide.

PS5 is looking so much better and will break the Sony trend of having really weak start. We could be seeing a few 90+ meta titles in the first year alone!
I agree. If i'm being honest here, the first year or so was better on Xbox One than PS4.

If they don’t have any more surprises, that has to be one of the most boring launch lineups I have ever seen. It won’t doom the console or anything, after all this gen launched with a pretty poor selection as well imho. I mean you have a pack in demo, a platformer that did not look great and has a lame lead character (cmon Sony, time to give up on the idea that Sackboy is an iconic character), smaller scale Spider-Man sequel/expansion or whatever it is, and that Rocket League x Bleeding Edge looking game that might be good or it might be Drawn to Death/Hardware Rivals.

If Ratchet and Horizon are both coming in 2021 then that looks like a great year.

Vawn

Banned
How many of the ps4 games will actually be playable upon release of the ps5?

Most all of them. Sony clarified most all games SHOULD work, but they've just extensively tested the top 100 most popular ones so far.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I wanted this list to woo me, and it didn't. It actually bummed me out. I haven't played the previous games, but I'm sure I'd be into Spider-Man and Horizons. But that's really it. I really wanted this list to push me to want to preorder and go day one with the console, but it didn't. But there's more to come!

Vawn

Banned
A small Add-On is your system seller? If they actually make this game 60 bucks, then they are nuts.

How do add-on to a game that isn't even available on the platform?

Insomniac has clarified that this is a FULL stand-alone game, 100% separate from Spider-Man 1 on PS4. Miles Morales won't even be available on PS4, just like Spider-Man 1 is not available on PS5 (except through backwards compatibility).

Last edited:
Spiderman as a brand after all those super hero movies, eventhough the marvels avengers game from se looks like it will flop. Also the brand name doesn't matter people are not buying consoles for small games. System seller will be Fifa and Cod, spiderman will be fanboy-war argument. Also don't forget many ps4 players are just x360 players that didn't wanted the xbox-spy-one. Tell them there is a good halo and Nostalgia they will go there. Didn't MCC on steam even prove this?
😂😂😂 Weak argument. Show me the numbers that Spider-Man as a brand was a "flop"
I'm not even saying that Halo won't pull people in. I'm just telling you that Spider-Man has more "WIDE SPREAD APPEAL" than any other character this holiday. FIFA & COD are system sellers and Playstation will have the marketing deals for those games. "the brand name doesn't matter people are not buying consoles..." A brand is WHY people buy a console. All these casuals will see is that it's Spider-Man and that it's on the PS5. Halo is a brand... Casual gamers don't see a game and then ask "are these small games?"

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I wanted this list to woo me, and it didn't. It actually bummed me out. I haven't played the previous games, but I'm sure I'd be into Spider-Man and Horizons. But that's really it. I really wanted this list to push me to want to preorder and go day one with the console, but it didn't. But there's more to come!

If Spider-Man, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo 7 and Demon's Souls doesn't push you, what would? Genuinely curious.

SaucyJack

It's by the garbage tier developers "Sumo", who gave us such bug ridden titles like LBP3 and the long-in-development-hell Crackdown 3.
Expect Sackboy to suck ass.

LBP3 was a bit buggy at launch but is fixed and is a decent game.

Dont think you can lay the blame for the turd that is Crackdown 3 on Sumo. There was multiple studios involved, several connected to Dave Jones who developed the gameplay and the art assets, notably cloudgine with whom Jones oversold the power of the cloud. Sumo were just the poor sods stuck in the middle.

GodofWhimsy

Tad hyperbolic. It's a decent line-up IMO. Though I suppose it depends on what you're subjectively interested in. Horizon and the Demon Souls remake are the only two I'll be purchasing and one of those is well... a remake. Compared to the GOD TIER Ps4 launch which included the likes of Knack and a port of COD: Ghosts? SHIT TIER.

SaucyJack

And OP, we just dont have the dates, this thread is full of assumption and is a waste of time.

The forum can play list wars in a few months.

Vawn

Banned
Tad hyperbolic. It's a decent line-up IMO. Though I suppose it depends on what you're subjectively interested in. Horizon and the Demon Souls remake are the only two I'll be purchasing and one of those is well... a remake. Compared to the GOD TIER Ps4 launch which included the likes of Knack and a port of COD: Ghosts? SHIT TIER.

Resogun and the multi-plat Black Flag saved that launch for me. It wasn't until a few months later with inFamous that things really got rolling.

MiguelItUp

If Spider-Man, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo 7 and Demon's Souls doesn't push you, what would? Genuinely curious.
Well, considering those are all titles (or sequels) I haven't played or been into it speaks for itself, haha.

Genuinely think I'll dig Spider-Man and Horizon though. Just preferred to play other things at the time they dropped.

Klayzer

What would be a better line-up then?
Forza, Halo, Gears, you know the classics. I think you already know what Xdudes opinions on PS exclusives. Not impressed ever. But that Hellblade 2 trailer trumps anything shown by Sony according to them.

Back on topic, the first calendar year for the PS5 has the potential to be Sony's strongest first year of exclusives. Will it compare to the Switch god tier first year of games remains to be seen.

Kokoloko85

There gonna needs some launch exclusives.
Preferably more than PS4 and something to combat Halo Infinite if they care...
Most the time they would prefer to launch a console with a driving game, 1st person shooter, a fighter and something else

Vawn

Banned
Well, considering those are all titles (or sequels) I haven't played or been into it speaks for itself, haha.

Genuinely think I'll dig Spider-Man and Horizon though. Just preferred to play other things at the time they dropped.

What types of games would have interested you?

Last edited:

Klayzer

What types of games would gave interested you?
Seems like nobody wants to answer that question. They all said not impressed, but when asked what types would intrest them, they change the subject or not respond at all. What gives.

Beaten by Miggie.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Silent Hill and God of War are the first two that immediately come to mind TBH.

Well, God of War is inevitable. Probably my favorite first-party PS4 game (although Bloodborne and Persona 5 were my favorite exclusives).

I still think Silent Hill is coming. Too much smoke, but we will see. I knew they wouldn't have both Resident Evil 8 and Silent Hill both at this first showcase.

Silent Hill is probably a 2022 game, so it makes sense to hold on to it for now.

JimiNutz

Banned
I feel like there is no hype for Destruction Allstars. It looks like the evolution of Twisted Metal I had hoped for, but never had till now.

I'm hyped for it, looks fun but as it's a new IP I need to see a bit more of the gameplay.
Hopefully it's ready for 2020 and hopefully we see more of it soon.

Overall I think it's a strong list of exclusives games with some potential big sellers. It's definitely better than PS4s first year exclusives on paper... So long as they all do actually come out by end of 2021.

Vawn

Banned
Seems like nobody wants to answer that question. They all said not impressed, but when asked what types would intrest them, they change the subject or not respond at all. What gives.

Beaten by Miggie.

Yeah, I don't believe that about MiguelItUp MiguelItUp inparticular, but there are the usual Xbox guys who were going to he "not impressed" by anything that was shown at the PS5 software reveal.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Well, God of War is inevitable. Probably my favorite first-party PS4 game (although Bloodborne and Persona 5 were my favorite exclusives).

I still think Silent Hill is coming. Too much smoke, but we will see. I knew they wouldn't have both Resident Evil 8 and Silent Hill both at this first showcase.

Silent Hill is probably a 2022 game, so it makes sense to hold on to it for now.
Def! Regardless I'll be getting a PS5 in due time. :)

PlayStation consoles first 2 years have historically been a couple of first party titles and smothered with indies and third party to fill the gaps

What was shown was dominated with casual titles with the standouts for me being gt7 and hzd2 .....both without release dates so we could be very well be playing these 2021-22 so stacked is probably not the word I’d be using

Year 3 of ps5 will probably be this

Klayzer

Yeah, I don't believe that about MiguelItUp MiguelItUp inparticular, but there are the usual Xbox guys who were going to he "not impressed" by anything that was shown at the PS5 software reveal.
Totally. I would ask the PSfans on this board to give the Xbox presentation a fair shake and not piss on the excitement of some genuinely interesting games. Dont fight fake disappointment with even more fake disappointment. Assuredly, Microsoft will have some games that will peak your intrest. Can we have a legitimate discussion about games without retaliation for once. Do it for America.

I Klayzer, approve this political ad.

Bryank75

Banned
If Marvel / Disney had any sense, they would just let Sony manage their content in partnership with Marvel.

Bryank75

Banned
Totally. I would ask the PSfans on this board to give the Xbox presentation a fair shake and not piss on the excitement of some genuinely interesting games. Dont fight fake disappointment with even more fake disappointment. Assuredly, Microsoft will have some games that will peak your intrest. Can we have a legitimate discussion about games without retaliation for once. Do it for America.

I will be as fair as I can be, I promise you that. If they bring the games and gameplay etc I will say it was a great show and say Sony have to step it up.

Vawn

Banned

This July show is HUGE for Xbox. They've been quiet for years on releases and building up to this. I can't remember a more make or break show in gaming conferences.

The bar is set high and expectations higher. It should be interesting.

I will for sure buy Horizon, Ratchet, Kena, Sackboy, Destruction Allstars, Demon Souls. I might get Spiderman MM, GT7 and Returnal. I agree with the OP the list is pretty stacked just in exclusives then there's the multiplat stuff like Assassins Creed Valhalla and RE8 that im super excited about as well. For sure best launch lineup i can remember (Ive been gaming since 1992).

Top Bottom