• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS5 year 1 exclusive lineup looks stacked

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Exclusives wise, I had Knack (6.0/10), Infamous: First Light (7.0/10), The Order: 1886 (7.0/10) and Until Dawn (7.0/10) for the first 26 months of the PS4 life cycle. If it wasn't for the fact that I purchased PS4 in May 2014, chances are that out of the four above games, only The Order: 1886 would have been a guaranteed play-through. PS4 exclusives didn't really take off for me until 2017 with Horizon Zero Dawn (9.5/10, my 2017 goty), Nioh (8.5/10), Uncharted: Lost Legacy (9.5/10, my #2 2017), Nex Machina (8.5/10), Matterfall (7.0/10) and yes, even Knack II (7.5/10) was much improved over the first game. 2016 was great overall but I didn't play Ratchet & Clank (8.5/10) until a few months ago and Uncharted 4 (8.5/10) was a disappointment to me. That left Alienation (8.5/10) which I loved and Shadow of the Beast (6.5/10) as the only other exclusives for 2016.

So when I look over that list to what I could have in the same time frame for PlayStation 5, it's no contest as barring massive delays, PlayStation 5 will easily blow away PlayStation 4 in the first 26 months and possibly even the first 38 months in comparison for me.

Even looking at the other side with Xbox Series X, it should also blow away Xbox One in that same 26 month and 38 month time frames as all I had for teh first three years was Ryse: Son of Rome (7.0/10) and Dead Rising 3 (7.0/10) at launch with Quantum Break (8.0/10) and Gears 4 (8.5/10) in 2016. Granted, surpassing Xbox One will be extremely easy to do for me and may actually get surpassed with Xbox Series X launch titles and first 14 months itself. Sure as hell won't be any worse for me. Hehehe.

Bottom line is that while everyone has their own personal favorites and preferences, BOTH consoles will be far better with their launch lineups than ever before with the first, second and third year looking more promising than ever before. Can't lose either way. For me, barring some kind of $800 pricing disaster or some shit, im day one for both consoles and as im sure most know, im super hyped for next gen and wish it was November already. Teehee.

On a related side note - despite rating both Ryse: Son of Rome and The Order: 1886 a 7.0/10, I want fucking sequels to both games. The story, characters and world is just to damn good in both games for them to be a one and done. So im hoping at some point next generation, I get sequels to both games!!!

yurinka

I thought sony only confirmed 100 games. When did they increase the amount of ps4 games?
Sony said that they aim to get almost all the 4000+ PS4 running on PS5 BC several times, they're testing all of them one by one and when find some issue on one they suggest its publisher to fix it. For PS4 games submitted to certification starting July they must work in PS5 BC to be published.

The '100 games' thing comes from Cerny's talk, where he said that the testing of the 100 most played PS4 games (sorted by total global playtime) was completed shortly before his talk and that almost all of them were going to be supported by launch. Which doesn't imply that these 100 games were the only ones tested until then, or that they were going to be the only ones available at launch.

I almost... hated... the Sackboy reveal. It looks nothing like a Media Molecule LBP game. To a degree that I am just callous about it. That being said however, one of the biggest surprises for me was the Destruction All-Stars. It looks like legitimate fun, but I'm almost willing to bet that it's going to be a "free" game and loaded with microtransactions. So I am cautiously hyped about it. Spiderman Miles Morales will be something I watch my son play. I haven't played a Gran Turismo game since A-Spec so it'll be nice jumping back in for those Endurance Races once again. Ratchet and Clank, and Horizon Forbidden West look dope! The rest was... 'Meh' to be honest.

JLMC469

Banned
tenor.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
It has horizon 2 that is a legitimate blockbuster. Then the rest are question marks. Spiderman is ps4 dlc prettier. Gt7 has a lot to prove others have passed the series. Souls is old content for the extreme hard core. Ratchet and Sack are good family games but not super stars. For all the talent at Sony they could do much better. They have the best studios in the world they should have multiple blockbusters to be honest. I say ok first year better than the garbage ps4 first year. Hardly stacked when you have that insane studio line up.

On the other hand, weren't they the ones who made OutRun 2006? I think they used to have a really good reputation.
Sumo Digital also developed Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed which was fantastic. But I think they have multiple teams developing different games at a time which is probably why some are better than others.

Last edited:

El Sueño

Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU 2 year one for me, and that'd be it. And by no means that's little; its a lot. GoT and TLoU 2, will look amazingly on PS5. Remember this.

Last edited:

Pizdetz

Banned
Astros Playroom
- confirmed to be a preloaded game at launch
Literally no one cares whether this exists.

- Spiderman: Miles Morales
Confirmed for 2020
It's nice, but not a full blown sequel. More like a standalone expansion that will look and play similar to the first.

- Godfall
Confirmed for 2020
This honestly looks like a bucket of dog ass.

- Sackboy
Full gameplay trailer looks to be far in development most likely 2021 atleast
No one has cared about this since LB2.

- Destruction Allstars
Another one with full gameplay
Cute indie game.

- Horizon: Forbidden West
Confirmed to be targeting 2021 release
Looks wonderful. Will be amazing.

- Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart
Another one with long gameplay demo. Also the last Ratchet was a while back and Spiderman Miles Morales looks to be more of a standalone expansion set in the same location so I can easily see inSomniac releases this in 2021
These games are usually good, bordering on great. This recent one looks quite exciting.

- Returnal
Another game with full gameplay trailer. Also Housemarque were the first to release a game on PS4 so I can easily see them releasing PS5 exclusive early on

- Demon's Souls Remake
This is a remake surely they can release this by November 2021
Same game with a new coat of paint. Everyone has Souls fatigue at this point, plus Elden Ring will blow it out of the water anyway.

- Gran Turismo 7 - December
Full gameplay trailer, also they are likely reusing the same car models from Sport but adding many more. Thanks to reusing car models they can get this out sooner I'm expecting this being the bug holiday 2021 exclusive

Hyper realistic racing sim. Snore.

Eh, Sony lineup has maybe 2-3 decent things the first year in terms of exclusives. The rest is just meh.

skneogaf

I'd only have a go of gran turismo 7 out of the exclusive games mentioned.

So if the xbox series x is better graphics wise then I'll pick up an xbox series x first as the 3rd party games will look better if it is more powerful that us.

Plus they may have at least one interesting console exclusive.

SaucyJack

Sony said that they aim to get almost all the 4000+ PS4 running on PS5 BC several times, they're testing all of them one by one and when find some issue on one they suggest its publisher to fix it. For PS4 games submitted to certification starting July they must work in PS5 BC to be published.

The '100 games' thing comes from Cerny's talk, where he said that the testing of the 100 most played PS4 games (sorted by total global playtime) was completed shortly before his talk and that almost all of them were going to be supported by launch. Which doesn't imply that these 100 games were the only ones tested until then, or that they were going to be the only ones available at launch.

he was also talking about the boosted native PS5 mode for the top 100 games and not the legacy PS4 and pro modes.

Batiman

Banned
Only interested in Spider-Man, ratchet, sack boy and that monster title. Don’t care for horizon at all and will wait for the new forza to get my racing fix over GT. Not too hyped for the ps5 launch window overall but I’ll be there day 1 still.

And Kena too, I believe.

I don't even think we've seen everything either. I still expect Silent Hill to show up, which, obviously, would be massive.

People will likely be wanting to play Dreams, The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 at launch as well.
I've been told PlayStation users told don't care for old games so. They only want PS5 games.

pr0cs

hyperbole much? It was quite playable with largely favourable reviews.
Post your psn ID so we can see when you played it.
It was absolutely unplayable at launch for a good 6 months after launch.

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing some of the annoying shit I had to endure with my kids trying to play that turd.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
That being said however, one of the biggest surprises for me was the Destruction All-Stars. It looks like legitimate fun

Really? I thought that was one of the low points of the show.

Not the lowest though. That Goodbye Volcano High game looks like pure dog crap. I don't know how that got "stage" time, other than to appease the LGBTQ crowd.

Games that haven't even released yet are already old?
Apparently. The narrative is why do I want a PS5 to play PS4 games. I'm going to assume it's going to be backward compatible, but I'm sure PS5 users would like to know if the games will have upgrades for free on the PS5.

SaucyJack

Post your psn ID so we can see when you played it.
It was absolutely unplayable at launch for a good 6 months after launch.

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing some of the annoying shit I had to endure with my kids trying to play that turd.

It launched Nov '14, I had very few issues with it. More around it not importing LBP 1/2 content than anything else. so

1kL7k4t.jpg

pr0cs

I had very few issues with it
Then you live a charmed life. For me it was a fucking frustrating experience. I had played the other games with my kids and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Lbp3 arrived and we found some levels impossible to finish, falling through the game world, wacky physics and other stuff. Good luck explaining to kids why they can't get further in the game because the developers have retards doing QA.
I will be hard pressed to play anything from Sumo anytime soon.

supernova8

Banned
If we're talking literally just launch day, there's hardly anything as far as we're aware.
If they really want to beat MS to the punch they need a lot more exclusives day-one (especially if MS comes out with a dirt cheap Lockhart a-la eastman rumor).
Although MS royally fucked up Inside Xbox, I get a sneaky suspicion that there's going to be a mammoth blow-out in July.

We've hard practically nothing from any of XGS devs for ages.
Might well be the case that since MS basically lost this generation, they diverted more resources to next-gen earlier than Sony did and therefore will have more to show.

Could be wrong - all speculation. Just a hunch.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Now that we know Horizon: Forbidden West is targeting 2021 the lineup just seems stacked. A far cry from most new console launches.

Astros Playroom
- confirmed to be a preloaded game at launch

- Spiderman: Miles Morales
Confirmed for 2020

- Godfall
Confirmed for 2020

- Sackboy
Full gameplay trailer looks to be far in development most likely 2021 atleast

- Destruction Allstars
Another one with full gameplay

- Horizon: Forbidden West
Confirmed to be targeting 2021 release

- Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart
Another one with long gameplay demo. Also the last Ratchet was a while back and Spiderman Miles Morales looks to be more of a standalone expansion set in the same location so I can easily see inSomniac releases this in 2021

- Returnal
Another game with full gameplay trailer. Also Housemarque were the first to release a game on PS4 so I can easily see them releasing PS5 exclusive early on

- Demon's Souls Remake
This is a remake surely they can release this by November 2021

- Gran Turismo 7 - December
Full gameplay trailer, also they are likely reusing the same car models from Sport but adding many more. Thanks to reusing car models they can get this out sooner I'm expecting this being the bug holiday 2021 exclusive

I haven't even mentioned other PS5/PC exclusives and time exclusives as I can't remember those games.

But this is way better than PS4 where we got Killzone, Knack, Resogun, LittleBigPlanet 3, Driveclub and inFamous Second Son in the first year.
That assumes the games don't get delayed.

BlackM1st

Banned
Sony > XBOX in games. It it's a known fact. Another fact is that multiplatform > any Sony/MS game. And guess what, PS5 will have exclusive/first contracts with the biggest multiplatforms like CoD and GTA. Easy win 4 Sony.

AmuroChan

Spider-Man alone makes PS5's launch better than PS4's IMO. It's a legit system seller.

My prediction...

Launch -- Spider-Man, Astro's Playroom, GodFall, Destruction Allstars
December -- GT7, Kena
January -- Demon's Souls
February -- Rachet & Clank
March -- MLB '21
April -- Returnal
May -- Ghostwire Tokyo
June -- Sackboy
August -- Deathloop
September -- Horizon 2

NeoROCK

I
And Kena too, I believe.

I don't even think we've seen everything either. I still expect Silent Hill to show up, which, obviously, would be massive.

People will likely be wanting to play Dreams, The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 at launch as well.
fully expect some sort of “definitive edition” for tlou2 and GoT.

Klayzer

Sony > XBOX in games. It it's a known fact. Another fact is that multiplatform > any Sony/MS game. And guess what, PS5 will have exclusive/first contracts with the biggest multiplatforms like CoD and GTA. Easy win 4 Sony.
Certain ultra popular 3rd party games only. COD, Battlefield, Fortnite, GTA5, RDR2, Minecraft. Everything else Sony's exclusives have sold more on the PS4. It's not easy to have multiple 10 million plus sellers for exclusives, unless your name is Nintendo.

it was a disaster and ruined the LBP property for a lot of people, myself included. Sony should also get lambasted for allowing such a turd to be released, at launch the game was a nightmare, falling through the game world, crashes, disconnects despawing elements. The list goes on.

Sumo shouldn't be considered for any "must buy" software which is why I wouldn't include Sackboy on any list worth mentioning.

Fair. I'm a sucker. Willing to give them another chance since I enjoyed it even with the bugs. It wasn't "unplayable" tho.

Last edited:

Klayzer

What some fans go to with their mental gymnastics LOL
It entertains me to see how far some will go with it. When it really gets good, is when the threats and name calling starts pouring out in conjunction with the usual fanboy bravado. Do not back one of these people in a corner, they will start reciting numbers that have nothing to do with the convo or state how much money a parent company makes just because. You've been warned.:messenger_winking_tongue:

JimiNutz

Banned
If the console is supply constrained in its first 6-12 months then it makes no sense to launch with multiple 'big' first party games, much smarter to just steady drip feed the exclusives over a 12 month period.

The console is going to sell well with Spider-Man at launch alone. From there they can just release a new exclusive every month or every other month to keep a steady stream of sales and hype.

Phil Spencer conducted an interview with ign relatively recently where he said pretty much exactly the same thing . He claimed that Xbox One launched with too many exclusives at once and that it was a mistake to throw so many exclusives at the console on day one, so I'd expect a similar strategy from MS as well.

Ratchet is the only game i'd even consider as a potential "must have", most everything else looks bleh or is a timed exclusive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom