• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS5 year 1 exclusive lineup looks stacked

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
PS5's year 1 looks way better than the PS4's starting few years. They really were weak.

Remember Knack? Then Driveclub. The Order (shudder)....it was a series of lows until Bloodborne came out to change the tide.

PS5 is looking so much better and will break the Sony trend of having really weak start. We could be seeing a few 90+ meta titles in the first year alone!
This. The PS4 took time to ramp up but we won't have that problem with the PS5

AllBizness

Banned
I LOVE that you skipped over my reasoning for it and just quoted the first part. If you can tell me that there is a game releasing on either PS5 or Series X this holiday that has greater mass appeal... then YOU are Nuts. Come on, give me a title and the reason why. I love a good debate, lets debate it.

I can walk down the street and show a picture of Spider-Man to almost any random person, of nearly any age, and they'll recognize who he is. What other character from their consoles launch can you say that about?
Halo will be huge and maybe sell more. We're talking about a $60 game packed with content versus a $39 short game. Now if we we were talking about Spider Man 2 I would agree with you.

Andodalf

Banned
That first year has some good stuff coming but I'm still concerned about the launch window for both right now, granted we haven't seen Microsoft's pitch yet.

To me the signing of 2 Bethesda games for timed exclusives tells me some of those games are still really up in the air when they will hit in 2021, minus Spider-Man.

If anyone else bought exclusivity for 2 Bethesda games and a gearbox game, there would be a thousand think piece posts about how it clearly showed a lack of confidence in their first party content.

Rippa

Halo will be huge and maybe sell more. We're talking about a $60 game packed with content versus a $39 short game. Now if we we were talking about Spider Man 2 I would agree with you.

I believe Halo will only sell more because of Xbox one and PC combined sales and not so much on series X thanks to cross generation access. But if we’re talking SM:MM only on PS5 vs Halo Infinite ONLY on series X. It might be closer than you think.

iHaunter

Now that we know Horizon: Forbidden West is targeting 2021 the lineup just seems stacked. A far cry from most new console launches.

Astros Playroom
- confirmed to be a preloaded game at launch

- Spiderman: Miles Morales
Confirmed for 2020

- Godfall
Confirmed for 2020

- Sackboy
Full gameplay trailer looks to be far in development most likely 2021 atleast

- Destruction Allstars
Another one with full gameplay

- Horizon: Forbidden West
Confirmed to be targeting 2021 release

- Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart
Another one with long gameplay demo. Also the last Ratchet was a while back and Spiderman Miles Morales looks to be more of a standalone expansion set in the same location so I can easily see inSomniac releases this in 2021

- Returnal
Another game with full gameplay trailer. Also Housemarque were the first to release a game on PS4 so I can easily see them releasing PS5 exclusive early on

- Demon's Souls Remake
This is a remake surely they can release this by November 2021

- Gran Turismo 7 - December
Full gameplay trailer, also they are likely reusing the same car models from Sport but adding many more. Thanks to reusing car models they can get this out sooner I'm expecting this being the bug holiday 2021 exclusive

I haven't even mentioned other PS5/PC exclusives and time exclusives as I can't remember those games.

But this is way better than PS4 where we got Killzone, Knack, Resogun, LittleBigPlanet 3, Driveclub and inFamous Second Son in the first year.

You can add Kena, they confirmed Holiday 2020.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Now that we know Horizon: Forbidden West is targeting 2021 the lineup just seems stacked. A far cry from most new console launches.

Astros Playroom
- confirmed to be a preloaded game at launch

- Spiderman: Miles Morales
Confirmed for 2020

- Godfall
Confirmed for 2020

- Sackboy
Full gameplay trailer looks to be far in development most likely 2021 atleast

- Destruction Allstars
Another one with full gameplay

- Horizon: Forbidden West
Confirmed to be targeting 2021 release

- Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart
Another one with long gameplay demo. Also the last Ratchet was a while back and Spiderman Miles Morales looks to be more of a standalone expansion set in the same location so I can easily see inSomniac releases this in 2021

- Returnal
Another game with full gameplay trailer. Also Housemarque were the first to release a game on PS4 so I can easily see them releasing PS5 exclusive early on

- Demon's Souls Remake
This is a remake surely they can release this by November 2021

- Gran Turismo 7 - December
Full gameplay trailer, also they are likely reusing the same car models from Sport but adding many more. Thanks to reusing car models they can get this out sooner I'm expecting this being the bug holiday 2021 exclusive

I haven't even mentioned other PS5/PC exclusives and time exclusives as I can't remember those games.

But this is way better than PS4 where we got Killzone, Knack, Resogun, LittleBigPlanet 3, Driveclub and inFamous Second Son in the first year.
That's a fire lineup and I think we'll see Lost Soul Aside release in 2021 too. The developer said he wanted to release it this year, before Covid

Lethal01

Just launch with a slightly upgraded version of the Final Fantasy 7 remake and it's instantly one of the best console launches ever.

We're talking about a NEW Spider-Man game that is only $40, are you fucking kidding me?!?! That's gonna sell like crazy. Do you think the average consumer will know that it's a short game? Do you think the average consume EVEN finishes most games? Do you think Playstation will advertise it like... "Spider-Man Miles Morales, enjoy this short experience on PS5 for only $39" LOL The general public DOES NOT CARE about how LONG a games is, WE CARE cause we're the hardcore crowd. We care about HALO. They have no idea that Spider-Man MM is not Spider-Man 2.

Edit: Could Halo sell more? Of course it could. But don't sit here and pretend like Spider-Man ain't shit. Like he's not a globally recognized brand.

Last edited:

Lukin1978

Sonyboys: our dick is huge
- nope. You had, but at least for now it's not that big

Kb0bopW.gif

leo-j

I love this stereotype from PS fans, because it shows how oblivious they are to their own bias.

Spider-Man has over 10+ releases, Gran Turismo are at their 8th iteration, God of War has 6 releases, and Uncharted has released 5 thus far and these are just for the PS consoles not any spin offs that are on the Vita.

Yet, somehow they are all celebrated and generate incredible hype, but god for bid Halo, Forza and Gears get released all of a sudden everyone bandies about franchise fatigue or how washed up those franchises are.

Time to look in the mirror.

you cannot really compare xbox first party with sony tho. Sony has taken significant risks with games like god of war, spiderman (which was a flop for a generation and a half of games). Horizon having a female lead, being developed as an rpg by killzone devs? Spiderman being remade and re branded by a ratchet and clank dev? Like come on, they didnt just release the same games over and over again.

also spiderman alone sold more than the majority of xbox first party combined . Why ?
Why did horizon outsellf ebery halo and gears game last gen with a female lead?

leo-j

We're talking about a NEW Spider-Man game that is only $40, are you fucking kidding me?!?! That's gonna sell like crazy. Do you think the average consumer will know that it's a short game? Do you think the average consume EVEN finishes most games? Do you think Playstation will advertise it like... "Spider-Man Miles Morales, enjoy this short experience on PS5 for only $39" LOL The general public DOES NOT CARE about how LONG a games is, WE CARE cause we're the hardcore crowd. We care about HALO. They have no idea that Spider-Man MM is not Spider-Man 2.

Edit: Could Halo sell more? Of course it could. But don't sit here and pretend like Spider-Man ain't shit. Like he's not a globally recognized brand.

spider man sold 14-15 million (still selling tho)
Halo 5 sold 5-6 million

even if halo infinite sells better than halo 5, and spider man miles sells half of spiderman 1. They would sell about the same or a but more w spiderman.

i expect 10 million for miles if it reviews well, or more tbh considering the popularity of spiderverse and the fact he is a black protagonist. Halo could do 6 million if reviewed well and microsoft buys half the internet in marketing for xbox series x.

Handel

It's interesting to me that despite differences in architecture not being as big between console generations as in the past, launch games/launch window games haven't improved much these last few gens. GameCube is still the GOAT with Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin and SSBM in it's first three months.

PS5 lineup looks to have a good startup of mid tier games, nothing amazing but better than some of the absolutely abysmal start lineups of the past.

Last edited:

Handel

you cannot really compare xbox first party with sony tho. Sony has taken significant risks with games like god of war, spiderman (which was a flop for a generation and a half of games). Horizon having a female lead, being developed as an rpg by killzone devs? Spiderman being remade and re branded by a ratchet and clank dev? Like come on, they didnt just release the same games over and over again.

also spiderman alone sold more than the majority of xbox first party combined . Why ?
A new God of War wasn't a significant risk to take, as the main numbered series all did well in sales and critical reception. I don't know how well prior Spider-Man games did on the market, but most of those were in the era of shovelware movie tie-in games. Batman Arkham gave a blueprint for a successful AAA superhero game, and Spider-Man followed a similar formula, with boosts in popularity from recent well received movies

Horizon was definitely a risk, and I give them credit for supporting The Last Guardian as long as they did. Sony has generally done a good job of mixing sequels with new IPs, sometimes taking it too far and letting promising IPs slip away or gather dust. They have gotten better with the PS4 overall about this.

tryDEATH

Sony took risks? As I listed Sony invested significant amounts of money on iterations that were bankable hits just like MS does with their trinity.

The risks they took were with studios that were creating mediocre games such as Resistance and Killzone and turned around and created something good. But you have people that are moaning and expecting MS to move on and abandon successful franchises, which simply doesn't makes sense. The one thing you could fault them for is not buying more studios that develop different franchises which is what they are doing now.

As for why those game sold better is a simple as 2 factors playing a huge role. One was because of the significantly larger PS player base and 2nd it released closer to the end of the generation than at the start of the generation. If you compared it to units sold by total players on each platform up on release, you would end up with a higher % for Halo than either HZD or Spider-man I would even go so far and say the 2 of them combined wouldn't reach a higher % of the total player base than Halo. Halo sold 5 million with in the first 3 months at the start of a new generation and console. Truly silly argument to proposition.

Dismissing Halo, Forza, and Gears just comes across as jaded and bias, as your willfully ignoring the countless franchises that PS keeps on iterating on, yet everyone here keeps hyping them up and pretending like they are new. Hell even Ratchet and Clank are on their 13th release, but we are just going to ignore that too and pretend like its a relatively new franchise and not one dating back to the PS2 days, I don't hear people moaning that game should be put to bed after all those releases.

NeoROCK

If we get dinfitive editions of

The Last Of Us part II
Ghost of Tsushima

plus

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Deathloop
Gran Turismo 7
Kena
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Horizon Forbidden West

yeah... that’s a pretty good first year for exclusives.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Sony took risks? As I listed Sony invested significant amounts of money on iterations that were bankable hits just like MS does with their trinity.

The risks they took were with studios that were creating mediocre games such as Resistance and Killzone and turned around and created something good. But you have people that are moaning and expecting MS to move on and abandon successful franchises, which simply doesn't makes sense. The one thing you could fault them for is not buying more studios that develop different franchises which is what they are doing now.

As for why those game sold better is a simple as 2 factors playing a huge role. One was because of the significantly larger PS player base and 2nd it released closer to the end of the generation than at the start of the generation. If you compared it to units sold by total players on each platform up on release, you would end up with a higher % for Halo than either HZD or Spider-man I would even go so far and say the 2 of them combined wouldn't reach a higher % of the total player base than Halo. Halo sold 5 million with in the first 3 months at the start of a new generation and console. Truly silly argument to proposition.

Dismissing Halo, Forza, and Gears just comes across as jaded and bias, as your willfully ignoring the countless franchises that PS keeps on iterating on, yet everyone here keeps hyping them up and pretending like they are new. Hell even Ratchet and Clank are on their 13th release, but we are just going to ignore that too and pretend like its a relatively new franchise and not one dating back to the PS2 days, I don't hear people moaning that game should be put to bed after all those releases.

Dismissing Forza, Halo and Gears is shit and we should compare to God of War etc.

Is this a joke?

God of War reinvented the wheel, completely new camera angle, deeper RPG elements, minor sandbox, new mythology and a massive upgrade in story telling.

Forza Horizon is well regarded but it's not surprising people are bored of Halo and Gears. They sold less and their metacritic isn't as high as God of War and Last of Us 2. Even Xbox fans bas the last few Halo games so I don't know what you are getting at. And to say PlayStation are blind fanboys and output is similar and they don't take risks is ridiculous. PlayStation fans hated Killzone Shadowfall. Gran Turismo Sport launch was so bad Sony dropped the price quickly. God of War Ascension no one cares about as they got bored of the formula. LittleBigPlanet 3 no one payed attention to. The list goes on. But Sony has consistently had the tip metacritic score games in comparison to Microsoft. They also took risks and created new IP with Bloodborne, Horizon, Tearaway, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush and etc whether they sold good or not. It's seems like your the only that is confused about all this everyone in lifting games media, metacritic, GotY awards, software sales all the opinions and data shows that Microsoft are not doing as well as Sony, even Microsoft admit to that.

acm2000

of the games in the OP, only Horizon is of any interest, even seeing the menu system of GT7 proved to me PD havent moved on from their archaic style and puts me off straight away.

tryDEATH

Dismissing Forza, Halo and Gears is shit and we should compare to God of War etc.

Is this a joke?

God of War reinvented the wheel, completely new camera angle, deeper RPG elements, minor sandbox, new mythology and a massive upgrade in story telling.

Forza Horizon is well regarded but it's not surprising people are bored of Halo and Gears. They sold less and their metacritic isn't as high as God of War and Last of Us 2. Even Xbox fans bas the last few Halo games so I don't know what you are getting at. And to say PlayStation are blind fanboys and output is similar and they don't take risks is ridiculous. PlayStation fans hated Killzone Shadowfall. Gran Turismo Sport launch was so bad Sony dropped the price quickly. God of War Ascension no one cares about as they got bored of the formula. LittleBigPlanet 3 no one payed attention to. The list goes on. But Sony has consistently had the tip metacritic score games in comparison to Microsoft. They also took risks and created new IP with Bloodborne, Horizon, Tearaway, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush and etc whether they sold good or not. It's seems like your the only that is confused about all this everyone in lifting games media, metacritic, GotY awards, software sales all the opinions and data shows that Microsoft are not doing as well as Sony, even Microsoft admit to that.

My whole point was that both companies have franchises that have many iterations yet it is only Xbox's trinity that gets consistently brought up and slammed as boring or outdated and something MS should move on from.

If you want to use God of War as a example you should also then highlight that it didn't reinvent it wheel by itself, but instead followed PS new formulaic system of cinematic experiences to the point that most of their 1st party games are similar in different universes, which again is something that is never mentioned.

How many 3rd person cinematic games can you have before you realize that they all follow a similar formula. At that point you can ask your self if you want all your games to look and play similar from 1st party studios or do you want different game franchises to play different but be similar to their previous entries.

Also persistently putting words in my mouth that I didn't say for you to argue your imaginative point is useless. I never said Playstation fans are blindly biased the way your putting it, I referred to them being ignorant to their own iterations that are beloved and are never criticized, I also never said the output is similar to PS nor that MS is even anywhere close to Sony in success this generation this is you just conjuring an imaginative argument. Also MS took a bunch of one-off risks to which you conveniently ignored because it doesn't support you narrative with games such as Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, ReCore, and many more.

Had Killzone been show people would have been hyped, so don't even lie to yourself, Your obsession over Metacritic clearly drives your own opinion as some sort of authority when it has been exposed multiple times, how rigged those scores can be, but again ignoring that just comes natural when it is something you don't want to hear.

KAL2006

Banned
My whole point was that both companies have franchises that have many iterations yet it is only Xbox's trinity that gets consistently brought up and slammed as boring or outdated and something MS should move on from.

If you want to use God of War as a example you should also then highlight that it didn't reinvent it wheel by itself, but instead followed PS new formulaic system of cinematic experiences to the point that most of their 1st party games are similar in different universes, which again is something that is never mentioned.

How many 3rd person cinematic games can you have before you realize that they all follow a similar formula. At that point you can ask your self if you want all your games to look and play similar from 1st party studios or do you want different game franchises to play different but be similar to their previous entries.

Also persistently putting words in my mouth that I didn't say for you to argue your imaginative point is useless. I never said Playstation fans are blindly biased the way your putting it, I referred to them being ignorant to their own iterations that are beloved and are never criticized, I also never said the output is similar to PS nor that MS is even anywhere close to Sony in success this generation this is you just conjuring an imaginative argument. Also MS took a bunch of one-off risks to which you conveniently ignored because it doesn't support you narrative with games such as Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, ReCore, and many more.

Had Killzone been show people would have been hyped, so don't even lie to yourself, Your obsession over Metacritic clearly drives your own opinion as some sort of authority when it has been exposed multiple times, how rigged those scores can be, but again ignoring that just comes natural when it is something you don't want to hear.

That's a load of crap. Just because a game is cinamatic and has a narrative doesn't mean the games are the same.

God of War is a action adventure game with RPG elements hack and slash combat.

Uncharted is a 3rd person shooter with minor stealth elements and climbing.

Ratchet and Clank is a shooter platformer

Spiderman is a open world sandbox game

Horizon is another open world sandbox game in a completely different setting and completely different combat system to Horizon.

If you take out the cinematics, high budget and story would you call them the same type of games.

Microsoft did take risks, no one denied that but none of their risks paid off and their risks are usually lower budget risks which Sony has a dozen of. Sony are the biggest risk takers with VR. It's not about taking risks, it's about taking a risk and that risk paying off. And forget even about risks, just releasing damn good games. If Halo was good people will love it it doesn't have to take risks. Like I said the last few Halo games and Gears games they were just okay and nothing great.

My opinion isn't just metacritic, it's metacritic, game sales, gamer opinions, critics opinions, game of the year award nominations and sales data and Microsoft themselves saying they are lacking and will try harder.

tryDEATH

That's a load of crap. Just because a game is cinamatic and has a narrative doesn't mean the games are the same.

God of War is a action adventure game with RPG elements hack and slash combat.

Uncharted is a 3rd person shooter with minor stealth elements and climbing.

Ratchet and Clank is a shooter platformer

Spiderman is a open world sandbox game

Horizon is another open world sandbox game in a completely different setting and completely different combat system to Horizon.

If you take out the cinematics, high budget and story would you call them the same type of games.

Microsoft did take risks, no one denied that but none of their risks paid off and their risks are usually lower budget risks which Sony has a dozen of. Sony are the biggest risk takers with VR. It's not about taking risks, it's about taking a risk and that risk paying off. And forget even about risks, just releasing damn good games. If Halo was good people will love it it doesn't have to take risks. Like I said the last few Halo games and Gears games they were just okay and nothing great.

My opinion isn't just metacritic, it's metacritic, game sales, gamer opinions, critics opinions, game of the year award nominations and sales data and Microsoft themselves saying they are lacking and will try harder.

You can literally replace the weapons and characters in The Last of Us, God of War, HZD, Uncharted and you wouldn't know the difference. Pretty worlds in the almost exact same 3rd persona camera, with a much more heavier emphasis on story than actual gameplay loop. This whole generation has some how turned games into movies and its just as absurd as people that value graphics over game play.

MS risks did pay off SoT became a success after struggling at launch, but again here comes the bias, because it isn't made with immaculate real life graphics and intense story it gets dismissed. The same can be said for Ori, but that too is a side scrolling performer so it doesn't qualify. I just love the mental gymnastics people have to do to pretend MS has been a total shitshow this whole generation, just because Sony did so great doesn't mean their competitor did jack shit.

You listed you value gamer opinions and critics opinions those two literally make up the Metacritic, which is rigged. The sales I also already addressed and why HZD and Spider-man sold so well, but you again just chucked that fact away and continued to ignore the reality.

And for the last time I never said MS is on top of their shit there not, my whole argument was that people keep crapping on Halo Forza and Gears while being willfully ignorant about their own franchises iterations, but you keep on making up imaginary arguments.

You can literally replace the weapons and characters in The Last of Us, God of War, HZD, Uncharted and you wouldn't know the difference. Pretty worlds in the almost exact same 3rd persona camera, with a much more heavier emphasis on story than actual gameplay loop. This whole generation has some how turned games into movies and its just as absurd as people that value graphics over game play.

MS risks did pay off SoT became a success after struggling at launch, but again here comes the bias, because it isn't made with immaculate real life graphics and intense story it gets dismissed. The same can be said for Ori, but that too is a side scrolling performer so it doesn't qualify. I just love the mental gymnastics people have to do to pretend MS has been a total shitshow this whole generation, just because Sony did so great doesn't mean their competitor did jack shit.

You listed you value gamer opinions and critics opinions those two literally make up the Metacritic, which is rigged. The sales I also already addressed and why HZD and Spider-man sold so well, but you again just chucked that fact away and continued to ignore the reality.

And for the last time I never said MS is on top of their shit there not, my whole argument was that people keep crapping on Halo Forza and Gears while being willfully ignorant about their own franchises iterations, but you keep on making up imaginary arguments.

Downplaying the gameplay for Horizon, and God of War of all games. Fuck outta here

That's about as stupid as claiming you can replace the weapons and characters in Gears, Crackdown or State of Decay and claiming you wouldn't know the difference

Last edited:

Halo will be on GP and that'll kill a huge amount of any potential sales that this declining franchise was going to have. It'll do well it's still a big series but it's not what it once was and 343 has lost a lot of trust.

Top Bottom