• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Q2 FY Results: 113.6 million PS4's sold. 45.9 million PS Plus subscribers as of September, 30 2020. 107 million Monthly Active Users.

Dodkrake

Banned
See what EXACTLY what I mean. You guys can't take it. Someone switching and it HAS to be a fake account or something.

Check out my Ps4 gamertag (same name as this profile) ... see when I was last online. See what I've been playing. I've had God of war, Tlou2, the last guardian, the order, various other Sony exclusives and 3rd party games. I've not even looked at an xbox this gen. The only remote thing I've had to do with xbox is signing up to gamepass on my PC and playing Ori last month. You can also check that lie.

When you've done checking that out and seeing the proof before your eyes.... I will accept your apology.

But no, you believe I've created a fake account and that I'm fake switching because your THAT MUCH of a toxic Sony fanboy that you can't fathom that some people disagree with you... so it has to be fake... And then you wonder why I call Sony fans toxic. What is wrong with you.

So, is this you?

The guy that is switching platforms but lists PC and Xbox as his favorite platforms on Deviantart?

vNyrpzy.png

Dude, nobody cares if you are switching or not, be happy with your choice. That's all.

Last edited:

Klayzer

90% of your posts are just insults and talking about PS and how its fanbase sucks.
We get it.
Just stop being toxic and hypocritical.
Yeah, its definitely the Sony fanboys being toxic and unbearable after reading his non biased scriptures/sarcasm.

geordiemp

As someone who is switching next gen after having a PS1-PS4.... This is not true.

PS fans are some of The Worst fanboys ever. In fact, it's getting unbearable on GAF. Sony die hards spend more time slating the xbox and its features then being happy with the own. They are extremely hypocritical too. Anything MS do is bad but if Sony does the exact same thing suddenly its not bad anymore. I barely ever see an xbox fan slating a Sony console. On Xbox sub reddits I see xbox players ps4/5 consoles if its a best fit for the new gamer.

I wasn't even considering an Xbox this gen but Sony fans have talked about it so much it actually made me check out the competition and the more I saw the more I liked. Honestly.... The fanbois that surround sony have made the brand become so toxic for me.

So why you posting in a Sony corporate earnings thread ?

I notice every generation start there are lots of posts start to appear about people switching, as if anybody gives a ......xxxx and if they think that will influence anyone.

Hey look at me...

Usual crap, thank god it will go away soon.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Ghost is doing really well. Bumped itself to the Top 5 of the year's best sellers to date. TLOU II still firmly at #3. That's a lot of millions of units when the competion above you is Call of Duty, Animal Crossings and Madden (for Ghost).
I do wonder where TLOU II sits worldwide, there might be several titles pushing it down from 3. Still, it's a sales success, but maybe not quite to the extent you might expect considering the legacy of the franchise and install base of the PS4.

Klayzer

So, is this you?

The guy that is switching platforms but lists PC and Xbox as his favorite platforms on Deviantart?

vNyrpzy.png

Or are you the same Hitchyhero that had Playstation favorable comments stop 5 years ago in forums?

Dude, nobody cares if you are switching or not, be happy with your choice. That's all.

Maybe we should submit this inquiry to Congress for further investigation. I want to know the truth dammit.

Unknown?

There's two factors why I've always maintained Series X/S will sell less than XB1 by the end of this gen:

- XB1 had huge momentum coming from 360, MS' most successful console ever. This time, momentum coming from XB1 to Series X is almost dead on the hardware side. On the other side, it's reversed with PS4 - PS5 being about as strong a transition as you can imagine.
- XB1 had games you could only play on XB1. This new gen that has changed, as Series X/S shares its library with PC.

The second factor is huge imo. And this is not even a bad thing for MS, they want to push sales on PC, it makes no difference to them. But any kind of console renaissance on the level of the 360 is not happening.
I agree with this. Even in the US sales have tanked for X1 and while 360 went out on a bad note the Xbox One imo is ending the gen even worse than the 360 on a software standpoint.

I do wonder where TLOU II sits worldwide, there might be several titles pushing it down from 3. Still, it's a sales success, but maybe not quite to the extent you might expect considering the legacy of the franchise and install base of the PS4.

I have no doubt Cold War will boot it down, and Assassins Creed as well. Unless it gets a Definitive Edition with Factions II packed in....which seems to be slipping to next year.

That screenshot changes everything. Its absolute proof that you're not bias or toxic. Sarcasm

He managed to derail the thread, which was probably the initial intent...and you could say I bit the bait.

Ignore. Doesn't have much legs continuing to post about how bad Sony fanboys are on every thread he enters. Clearly intentional.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
See what EXACTLY what I mean. You guys can't take it. Someone switching and it HAS to be a fake account or something.

Check out my Ps4 gamertag (same name as this profile) ... see when I was last online. See what I've been playing. I've had God of war, Tlou2, the last guardian, the order, various other Sony exclusives and 3rd party games. I've not even looked at an xbox this gen. The only remote thing I've had to do with xbox is signing up to gamepass on my PC and playing Ori last month. You can also check that lie.

When you've done checking that out and seeing the proof before your eyes.... I will accept your apology.

But no, you believe I've created a fake account and that I'm fake switching because your THAT MUCH of a toxic Sony fanboy that you can't fathom that some people disagree with you... so it has to be fake... And then you wonder why I call Sony fans toxic. What is wrong with you.
No.... it's you who can't take it. You are the one in a Sony earnings thread trying to bring the whole things down and throwing out your low grade bait.... 'oh, I am switching because...' , 'Sony is doomed because'.....

A series of derail attempts because YOU are triggered that PlayStation is beating the snot out of the competition. Nobody cares if you switch to Xbox, I just feel sorry for you when I look at the lineup of games they have for the next 3 or so years.

Drewpee

Banned
Sony's Q2 results as of September 30, 2020. Will update the more info we get.

Q2: July 1st, 2020 - Sept, 30, 2020.

Highlights:

113.6 Million PS4's sold as of Sept 30, 2020. Previous number disclosed known 112.1 Million as of 06/30/2020.

12.4 Million units of PlayStation First-Party Software sold in Q2 or 15.3 % of total PS4 software unit sales.

Q2 Revenue/profit: 4.77 Billion/$0.988 Billion USD. (64.9% YoY growth in profit).

45.9 Million PS Plus Subscribers. 107 Million Monthly Active users.
Increase of .9 million subscribers to PS Plus over Q1 FY 2020. Drop in MAU of 7 million compared to Q1 FY 2020.

Digital software ratio is 59% for Q2. It drops from a high of 74% during Q1 FY 2020.

80.9 million games sold-in during Q2 FY20. This is roughly 880,000 games sold per day.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Source:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

Previous Quarter (Q1 FY 2020):
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/112-...i-and-ghost-of-tsushima-selling-well.1559595/

I am surprised that their first party sales are such a small portion of their overall sales. Maybe my expectations are warped due to all of the praise we hear constantly for first party titles but I expected them to be a bigger part of the pie.

mckmas8808

Banned
Sony phones suck because, they announced early but turn up for sales 6 months later. At prices way too high.
Otherwise, yes the new Xperia ii are impressive. I think their earnings saw a jump in sales and forcast for the mobile/tv division.

As for mega tech, imo PS6 will be the start of danger for them.

MS actually almost had it, if not for the Xbox One fuck up. They were firm favorities coming from 360/PS3 era. But they took a wrong turn, lost the chance and had to reset.

Games on cloud/stream/gamepass model, It will be quickest uptake un-imagined since.
You can expect Amazon, FB, Google gaming to blossom during PS5 times

This is literally the WORST VIDEO GAME PREDICTION OF ALL TIME!!!

longdi

Banned
This is literally the WORST VIDEO GAME PREDICTION OF ALL TIME!!!

I wish im wrong. But you cant ignore warning shots like 7.5b blank cheques, or all tech giants jumping in.

The war has started. To acquire developers for your subscription services, to lock in your paying loyalty to play games.

Bascially a new model instead of the razor & blades that Sony perfected.

This shift the risks of every new generation reset in way.

Klayzer

He managed to derail the thread, which was probably the initial intent...and you could say I bit the bait.

Ignore. Doesn't have much legs continuing to post about how bad Sony fanboys are on every thread he enters. Clearly intentional.
Yeah, I bit on it as well. Anyway, great numbers all around for Playstation. Transitioning from the 4 to the 5 will be seamless. Though, I still think the way Xbox does it, tieing its whole infrastructure together is phenomenal. The gold standard so to speak.

Bryank75

Banned
unless Biden starts breaking or restraining these mega tech firms, treat Stadia as an early sign warnings.
Jimbo has to prepare SCE for the inevitable

Yes i wonder if Sony is willing to lose all their rights and controls to custom hardware and ecosystem.
Instead of collecting fees and royalties from publishers publishing games on Playstation.
Sony becomes another publisher for the mega tech firms' ecosystem, and collect software sales only.

They save up on the capital intensive investments but lose out on the 'brand pride'
It sorta like 'Sony no longer produces TV', kinda.

But that may be the future for Playstation. Hopefully Jimbo is agile enough 🤷‍♀️

As long as Sony has the content, they will be able to sell consoles.... people will not stop suddenly cause Cloud gaming is there. Many people have tried the cloud and been turned off it for good... others have no faith. Some think it will be big but are waiting for content.

I will not continue gaming if things go to the cloud and I think Sony will always make consoles. Those big tech firms are just starting out in gaming and if they think it's easy to gain a foothold in the industry, they are deluded.

It is one of the hardest industries to crack and even MSFT with all their cash and power and 20 years have not got to the top of the industry even once.

Now with 37 Billion or so in cash and low debt (so they could raise another 30-40 billion) and their stock on the rise..... Sony is not to be messed with, it is not 2013 Sony. They could buy EA, Activision or TakeTwo if they wanted to.... they have the resources. Where people do not look at MSFT is their longterm debt, which is 60 billion. So you could say half of MSFT's cash is money they would have spent but instead chose to borrow. That obligation must be paid eventually. Meaning using too much of their cash is not going to be a good move.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Incredible run for PS4.

Real comeback story for SNE as a whole trading under $10/share at one point back in 2012, lots of segments that were not turning a profit, PlayStation was about the only thing that was working for Sony at that point after an impressive recovery from the PS3 launch, then there was the Sony Pictures email hack in 2014. They managed to right the ship in their major segments and shed a lot of the weight from units that were not performing well like Vaio.

mckmas8808

Banned
I wish im wrong. But you cant ignore warning shots like 7.5b blank cheques, or all tech giants jumping in.

The war has started. To acquire developers for your subscription services, to lock in your paying loyalty to play games.

Bascially a new model instead of the razor & blades that Sony perfected.

This shift the risks of every new generation reset in way.

We need to see these blank checks pay off for MS first. Also MS needs to prove spending billions of dollars to make those games exclusive to only your ecosystem can create profit. We'll see if MS can keep every Zenimax and Bethesda game off the PS5 and still make good profits.

Dabaus

Banned
Question about revenue vs profit. Does revenue include marketing deals, paying staff etc. and whatever is left after that considered profit? Or does staff salary and deals come out of profit made? Theoretically, could sony and whoever else use revenue money to put towards deals and/or acquisitions? I guess what im asking is, is if revenue would/could be used for such deals and profit is remaining from what they dont spend. If that makes sense. Thanks

I am surprised that their first party sales are such a small portion of their overall sales. Maybe my expectations are warped due to all of the praise we hear constantly for first party titles but I expected them to be a bigger part of the pie.
I am surprised that you are surprised. That percentage looks high when you consider the shear number of games that gets released and how popular they are.

Kerotan

Ps Plus going up is insane. They really might hit that 50M mark and it would become a 3BN annual sub for them.

Clarissa

Banned
lol...

BC on Xbox has made me switch.
Gamepass has made me switch.
Phil's pro-consumer approach has made me switch.
Sony's spying has made me switch...

Somehow the console with the least momentum, with a poor launch line up, with the least marketshare, receding in fact......gets all those types of threads on Gaf... from sleeper alts etc...

Here is what you'll never hear:

Xbox game's line up has made me switch...:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Transparent as hell. You gotta always read it with a big chuckle.
Craig made me switch. :messenger_squinting_tongue::messenger_squinting_tongue::messenger_squinting_tongue:

devilNprada

As someone who is switching next gen after having a PS1-PS4.... This is not true.

PS fans are some of The Worst fanboys ever. In fact, it's getting unbearable on GAF. Sony die hards spend more time slating the xbox and its features then being happy with the own. They are extremely hypocritical too. Anything MS do is bad but if Sony does the exact same thing suddenly its not bad anymore. I barely ever see an xbox fan slating a Sony console. On Xbox sub reddits I see xbox players ps4/5 consoles if its a best fit for the new gamer.

I wasn't even considering an Xbox this gen but Sony fans have talked about it so much it actually made me check out the competition and the more I saw the more I liked. Honestly.... The fanbois that surround sony have made the brand become so toxic for me.

Seems you're no better coming into a Sony thread talking that shit...

thelastword

Banned
So much flexing by PlayStation and totally deserved and to think PS4 is not even at $249.99 yet...nor $199, nor $149.....It's still officially a $299 console.....Sony is just raking in that profit at the $300 pricepoint....

Dabaus

Banned
We need to see these blank checks pay off for MS first. Also MS needs to prove spending billions of dollars to make those games exclusive to only your ecosystem can create profit. We'll see if MS can keep every Zenimax and Bethesda game off the PS5 and still make good profits.
One of the reasons zenimax was trying to sell was because none of the games they’ve made this generation ever really took off, and that’s with pc, Xbox, and ps4. Now, we can only assume, are now going to sell these already underperforming games on less hardware, most likely ignoring the market leader(Ps5) no less. I don’t know how that plays out but just a thought I had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom