• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's "region-free" PSN Store is frustrating

Fezan

Yeah, different product codes for Playstation games in different regions is super annoying.

360 had it right where, in most cases, DLC was universal.

Yeah would love this feature. Dlc and other features should be region free

Bergerac

What situation has you buying games from different regions like this? Travel a lot for work?

Dude, even Amazon sell alternate region games without specifying. Here in the UK, I've bought two games from Amazon that were US copies. The items are just listed as if they were normal default copies. Not imports. I've returned games to them because of this exact issue - the game had DLC I wouldn't be able to touch.

Always check the CUSA codes on the spine of the game box once you receive an Amazon PS4 game, if it has DLC you might want.

Too bad that didn't stop that shit from happening with Diablo.

My understanding is that the issue with Diablo stems from Blizzard's account migration system (for moving save files from 360/ps3 to xbone/ps4) not actually using any validation. I'm not aware of there being a method to edit save files on PS4 or Xbone, but there definitely was for 360 and PS3. So if you hacked an old save file, you could port it over, and it'd still be hacked. Then you could play online on PS4/Xbone with that bad data.

Not so much Sony's or Microsoft's fault.

The same goes for the nonsense OP is talking about. It's inconvenient for us, the players, but it's what publishers want. Different companies publishing the same games in different regions is a thing. Game X published by Company Y in region Z is a very different experience from Game X published by Company A in region B.

I'm US based, but like many I have PSN accounts from several regions (US/EU/HK/JP) and for a while I used them to access content from those other markets, mainly early in the PS3 days. As the PS3 gen wore on I stopped bothering and at some point I lost the login information for the other accounts and haven't tried to recover them. There hasn't been anything in the other stores that has tempted me to go outside the US store in quite some time.

sangreal

The same goes for the nonsense OP is talking about. It's inconvenient for us, the players, but it's what publishers want. Different companies publishing the same games in different regions is a thing. Game X published by Company Y in region Z is a very different experience from Game X published by Company A in region B.

Was not an issue with DLC on Xbox 360 or Xbox One

Wait shit I'll be in the same situation too. I buy all my physical games from EU region because there are no US copies available locally. I play on my US account because that's where I've been building my digital collection. Hasn't been a problem so far because I can just login and download DLCs on my EU account which gets shared to my US account on the same console, but this won't work if the DLC requires saves!

TheBear

I got stung buying SFV ultimate on my US account to play on EU only to realise the DLC wasnt region free.
Jokes on them though as SFV is a piece of shit anyway.... :(

Zaventem

Sucks but i learned my lesson when i bought the wrong region dlc for bloodborne and and to rebuy it and make a EU account( i wanted the red hunter steebook so bad i ordered overseas).

Accoun

What situation has you buying games from different regions like this? Travel a lot for work?

Personally, I'm Polish and back when I got my PS3 the Polish PS Store's content was lackluster (if it even existed when I registered), so I got an US account to get all the demos instead. While I have more accounts (4 to be exact: USA, Poland for stuff that didn't play well with my PAL CRT on the US store, Japan for exclusive stuff and UK for Rock Band DLC since the games were never officially released here), the US one became my main one, where I have all my trophies and friends.

I'd be annoyed if for whatever reason I couldn't get something working between them, I was afraid this was about to happen with the Online Pass for WipEout 2048 (even more so because Vita only allows for one account at a time), but the code from my EU copy activated on my US account at least.

mcrommert

Banned
Source? It seems more likely that those games don't show up in japan because xbox is dead in japan

and the DS3 situation has nothing to do with the OP's scenario, which is related to mixing and matching DLC regions. DS3's issue was caused by having the english version available for preloading, combined with the region free license that lets you use any version. Aside from that, Namco was clearly so pissed that they published Ashes Of Ariandel early too

You should ask yourself why Xbox has always done poorly in Japan

EvB

Oh, hey, something Nintendo is beating Sony at for once. Granted, you still need multiple Switch accounts for regions (mainly Japan, US, EU/AU), but the lack of achievements/trophies makes it easier to be more flexible with using accounts and you can just select the right account the moment you start up a game or the eShop. Not sure about other specifics, but still, it's only a bit less convenient than what MS is doing.

That's a really terrible example

sangreal

You should ask yourself why Xbox has always done poorly in Japan

and you think xbox does poorly in japan because they became region free starting with the xbox one? if not, what exactly is your point in relation to my post?

(and if so, I don't know what to tell you -- xbox has been dead in japan for 15 years)

sam777

Ye Xbox has this nailed down to a T, for example you can use 1 account to buy from any region and dlc can also be purchased from any region regardless of where the game was bought from. I wish Playstation followed suit.

Was not an issue with DLC on Xbox 360 or Xbox One

Doesn't change what I said at all.

Also, 360's region locking was weird and bad. If a game wasn't released in a region, its DLC didn't exist for that region's marketplace. I remember having to make a Japanese Xbox Live account to redeem some of the DLC codes for the Japan-only bullet hell shmups I had on my Japanese console.

sangreal

Doesn't change what I said at all.

Also, 360's region locking was weird and bad. If a game wasn't released in a region, its DLC didn't exist for that region's marketplace. I remember having to make a Japanese Xbox Live account to redeem some of the DLC codes for the Japan-only bullet hell shmups I had on my Japanese console.

Sure it does. You said it's the publishers and that the DLC isn't compatible (or as you put it a "very different experience"). This is demonstrably false or Xbox would have the same problem and it doesn't. I'm not sure what your anecdote has to do with anything though -- who is asking for DLC in regions where a game isn't sold at all? The OPs problem is that the DLC exists in his region and Sony won't let him use it

megathor

I moved from one country to another 2 years after I bought my PS4, and moved regions. It's been a nightmare with issues like this, trophies, friend lists, PS+ content.

Top Bottom