• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonys upcoming Multiplayer Games have the ability to take them to the next level

Banjo64

cumsessed

And player numbers.

Twitch numbers.

Youtube + social media views.

Sony online mp games have never been that popular.
This can’t be right based on what I’ve read in this thread. TLoU has only had 150 players this month? How can that possibly be when Factions is the most competitive online game ever? Please use a more reliable source next time.

U0ptxGc.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You're literally talking about 12.5k players who only choose to include their stats. This is not actually reliable data.

This stat doesn't include when the game was released.

Twitch numbers don't mean anything. Fighters pull in a lot of Twitch viewers and social media posts, yet their titles are very niche.

So in all, you don't have any proof.

Gran Turismo sold 8 million copies, yet you want to believe that it was at no point in the top 10. There's also the fact that games tend to die out after a few years and their biggest MP games were released years ago.

Lol at how you completely gloss over the other stats.

Even sonys own metrics dont show there mp games rank highly.

And the burden of proof is simple, when has there been a popular sonly online mp game that has had the player counts of cod, fortnite,halo and even gears... Wheres your proof of this.

Dforce sorry to break it to but sony have not done well with online mp games apart from maybe gran turismo

Last edited:

Sosokrates

This can’t be right based on what I’ve read in this thread. TLoU has only had 150 players this month? How can that possibly be when Factions is the most competitive online game ever? Please use a more reliable source next time.

U0ptxGc.jpg
You provide a source then...

Goalus

I think Xbox fans tend to overestimate the popularity of Microsoft's multiplayer titles.

Halo Infinite
Most played Xbox Games - 5th
Steam - Current: 16,151 | 24 Hour Peak: 29,830

Forza Horizon 5
Most Played Xbox Games - 9th
Steam - Current: 13,112 | 24 Hour Peak: 15,814

Gears 5
Most Played Xbox Games - Out of the Top 50
Steam - Current: 356 | 24 Hour Peak: 383

Forza 7
Most Played Xbox Games - Out of the Top 50

Sea of Thieves
Most Played Xbox Games - 32rd
Steam - Current: 16,426 | 24 Hour Peak 17,133

Gears 5 - doesn't appear to be a huge multiplayer title. The game was released in September 2019 and there are games that were released before 2019 with a higher player count.

Sea of Thieves - How popular is this game on Xbox? This game tends to hover around 30 of the top Xbox Games played (you can check the time machine website). The core players appear to be on PC with a concurrent player count at around 16k on average.

Forza 7 - Forza Motorsports series are often niche, but Xbox fans want to make you believe that it's more popular than the Gran Turismo series and it's one of the top multiplayer Xbox games.

Forza Horizon 5 & Halo Infinite
These two games seem to be doing well on Xbox. However, Halo Infinite is not among the top shooting games on PC. Destiny, Rainbow Six Siege are performing better. Halo is considered one of the premier shooters out there, but the numbers tell us differently. Forza is at 15k concurrent players on Steam.

This also doesn't count the multiplayer titles that didn't succeed.

Grounded
Gears Tactics
Halo Wars 1
Halo Wars 2
Bleeding Edge

The point is, Xbox fans want you to believe that MS is putting out a lot of great MP games with a strong player base and that's simply not true. Sony hasn't put out much because most of their main studios were developing SP games and they're currently working on many MP games. The belief that many people have in here that it will be nearly impossible to make a successful MP title than the ones mentioned above is really funny.
Gears Tactics is a multiplayer game?

Grounded is still in preview mode and will be Sea of Thieves' spiritual successor. It's quite successful already judging by its 21k reviews on Steam.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Lol at how you completely gloss over the other stats.

Even sonys own metrics dont show there mp games rank highly.

And the burden of proof is simple, when has there been a popular sonly online mp game that has had the player counts of cod, fortnite,halo and even gears... Wheres your proof of this.

Dforce sorry to break it to but sony have not done well with online mp games apart from maybe gran turismo

Here's why your metric fails.

- It's only a sample size of 12.5K players who choose to upload their stats.
- A game such as Gran Turismo Sport was released late 2017 and the stats only track from 2020.

Now let's use your logic

Gears 5 is not in the top 50 of most played Xbox games.

This means (based on your logic) Gears 5 was never a serious multiplayer title.

The fact is, multiplayer titles are often at their peak during the first month and then it steadily declines. You can't bring stats from 2020-2022 and say that Gran Turismo Sport and The Last of Us multiplayer never made the top 10 list.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Gears Tactics is a multiplayer game?

Grounded is still in preview mode and will be Sea of Thieves' spiritual successor. It's quite successful already judging by its 21k reviews on Steam.
It's not. I was thinking Gears Pop, but that wasn't released on XB.

Grounded is on steam and it only has 1k-2k regular players.

This is really my point. People can look at this and call it a success with only 1k-2k players, but think everyone single Sony MP game is unsuccessful.

Sosokrates

Here's why your metric fails.

- It's only a sample size of 12.5K players who choose to upload their stats.
- A game such as Gran Turismo Sport was released late 2017 and the stats only track from 2020.

Now let's use your logic

Gears 5 is not in the top 50 of most played Xbox games.

This means (based on your logic) Gears 5 was never a serious multiplayer title.

The fact is, multiplayer titles are often at their peak during the first month and then it steadily declines. You can't bring stats from 2020-2022 and say that Gran Turismo Sport and The Last of Us multiplayer never made the top 10 list.
Again you ignore all the other metrics of sucess.

Dforce sonys mp games overall have never been very successful, the majority of them are barely talked about and are forgotten quickly.

This premise of this thread is as rediculous as saying 3rd person narritive AAA action games are going to push xbox to the next level.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Again you ignore all the other metrics of sucess.

Dforce sonys mp games overall have never been very successful, the majority of them are barely talked about and are forgotten quickly.

This premise of this thread is as rediculous as saying 3rd person narritive AAA action games are going to push xbox to the next level.

You're ignoring facts again.

Gears 5 is not in the top 50 on Xbox most played games.

That means is not a popular multiplayer, right?

Sosokrates

How is the popularity of gears 5, going to have any effect at all, in weather new sony MP games will push ps5 to the next level?

Why would anyone think this. The only resource we have to influence such a prediction is the history of sony mo games, which has not been great.

Killzone MP didn't do it
Neither did resistance 2,

Or warkhawk, ir destruction all stars.

These are not successful MP franchises.

Leyasu

Banned

Gears is popular for a bit, then wanes once the wall bouncers start decimating everyone in mp. I would love to play it more, but I can’t get the hang of the wall bouncing.

You are right though, gears remains popular with a small number of people. Thus is not that popular

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are recently released games.

Forza Horizon 5 is a racing game. There’s no other racing game on PC with more concurrents on Steam.
It’s also 9th on Xbox. Expecting a racing game to have more concurrents than F2P battle Royale games is just plain clownery 😂

Halo Infinite’s approx 30k peaks and top 5 position on the Xbox most played list is very healthy…and that’s with a lot of content planned for Season one pending.

Sea of Thieves is 32, not 23. It's behind NBA2k21, Madden 21, For Honor (Yes, last previous Madden and NBA titles). That means it's very likely that it's hot a huge MP title. We're not talking about a success based on sales, we're talking about how many people are playing these games on a regular basis.

Lol. You must not be used to MP games, because 17000 players daily, years after release and in a dry month is impressive, for the type of game Sea of thieves is.

Even fighting games get regular updates and they're niche titles.

Street Fighter V on Steam has a much less active player base than Sea of Thieves. Even post update.

You didn't bring up Gears of War or Forza Motorsports.

Bringing them up or not doesn’t change my point in any way.

It’s like someone trying to invalidate a statement that Sony’s AAA games sell very well by asking “why didn’t you mention Returnal”?

You basically said nothing and you're only proving my point.

Ok, warrior 😂😂😂

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How is the popularity of gears 5, going to have any effect at all, in weather new sony MP games will push ps5 to the next level?

Why would anyone think this. The only resource we have to influence such a prediction is the history of sony mo games, which has not been great.

Killzone MP didn't do it
Neither did resistance 2,

Or warkhawk, ir destruction all stars.

These are not successful MP franchises.

You're not getting it. lol

You linked a website to prove Sony doesn't have a popular MP title.

Gran Turismo Sport and Last of Us MP are old games. You don't often see old games on the top 10 list that often. AS PROOF I used Gears 5 and it's no longer in the top 50 of most played Xbox Games. So, based on how you view metrics, Gears 5 is not a popular multiplayer title.

How can you not understand this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're using stats from 2020-2022 to prove GT Sport and TLOU MP were not popular nultiplayer titles that never made the top 10.

Sosokrates

You're not getting it. lol

You linked a website to prove Sony doesn't have a popular MP title.

Gran Turismo Sport and Last of Us MP are old games. You don't often see old games on the top 10 list that often. AS PROOF I used Gears 5 and it's no longer in the top 50 of most played Xbox Games. So, based on how you view metrics, Gears 5 is not a popular multiplayer title.

How can you not understand this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're using stats from 2020-2022 to prove GT Sport and TLOU MP were not popular nultiplayer titles that never made the top 10.

Imagine thinking sony MP online games are successful 🤣

EDMIX

High fidelity SOCOM Sony. This is so obvious it’s painful.

Give the IP to GG. They’ve made FPS and a third person action game. They are best suited.

Agreed.

That IP would need to be rebooted a lot though, so I hope that rumor about the other half of GG working on Socom reboot is true.

It need of course the classic modes, but I believe it also needs modes to keep it relevant. Hostage missions, missions fighting terrorist, they can look at what that Rainbow Six game did. I feel homeland security, DEA, Terrorist task force etc is the way to go.

I also believe they'd need modes current today to make any massive impact, regardless of how people feel about this subject, they need to really look at what everyone else is doing and add in at least some of those modes to bring in new consumers. As much as I love Socom, that concept as is won't fly with this current generation of gamers, most of them were not even born yet when that IP was made lol

Imagine thinking sony MP online games are successful 🤣

? Sony has many titles that moved massive units that are online games, GT Sport for one. The issue you have here is, you generalize too much.

I mean saying some shit like "Sony online mp games have never been that popular." I mean NEVER?

Smh.

I mean shit, I'm on the side of those thread that even agrees that Sony can do more and lots of their older titles didn't hit the mark with MP, but I can never say "never" regarding this as its just too dramatic and overzealous.

Sosokrates

Agreed.

That IP would need to be rebooted a lot though, so I hope that rumor about the other half of GG working on Socom reboot is true.

It need of course the classic modes, but I believe it also needs modes to keep it relevant. Hostage missions, missions fighting terrorist, they can look at what that Rainbow Six game did. I feel homeland security, DEA, Terrorist task force etc is the way to go.

I also believe they'd need modes current today to make any massive impact, regardless of how people feel about this subject, they need to really look at what everyone else is doing and add in at least some of those modes to bring in new consumers. As much as I love Socom, that concept as is won't fly with this current generation of gamers, most of them were not even born yet when that IP was made lol

? Sony has many titles that moved massive units that are online games, GT Sport for one. The issue you have here is, you generalize too much.

I mean saying some shit like "Sony online mp games have never been that popular." I mean NEVER?

Smh.

I mean shit, I'm on the side of those thread that even agrees that Sony can do more and lots of their older titles didn't hit the mark with MP, but I can never say "never" regarding this as its just too dramatic and overzealous.

I knew someone would say this.

But for your information its not in the context of the conversation at all, we are talking about the success of an online component of a game. As that is what this thread is about.

I mean I agree sony could make a successful mp franchise, but based on sonys track record the contrary to this thread seems more likely.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Forza Horizon 5 is a racing game. There’s no other racing game on PC with more concurrents on Steam.
It’s also 9th on Xbox. Expecting a racing game to have more concurrents than F2P battle Royale games is just plain clownery 😂

Halo Infinite’s approx 30k peaks and top 5 position on the Xbox most played list is very healthy…and that’s with a lot of content planned for Season one pending.

Lol. You must not be used to MP games, because 17000 players daily, years after release and in a dry month is impressive, for the type of game Sea of thieves is.

Street Fighter V on Steam has a much less active player base than Sea of Thieves. Even post update.

Bringing them up or not doesn’t change my point in any way.

It’s like someone trying to invalidate a statement that Sony’s AAA games sell very well by asking “why didn’t you mention Returnal”?

Ok, warrior 😂😂😂

Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite are new games. These games are on subscription services or Free-to-Play. So, it's not shocking that they're still in the top 10 of most played Xbox Games.

Here's what you don't understand

Halo Infinite
94gMyUz.png

The game has been on the decline week by week on PC.

Forza Horizon 5
yShIlxR.png

Both games have been on the decline week after week. This could change with more content or BR more, but that's an unknown right now.

There are other shooting games with a higher concurrent use base that launched years ago and they're doing better than Halo Infinite on PC.

What about other racers?

F1 2021
dV0NCn9.png

There’s no other racing game on PC with more concurrents on Steam.

Let's look into this.

Racers
Forza Horizon 5

All-Time Peak - 81k
24h Peak - 15k
F1 2021
All-Time Peak - 25k
24h Peak - 13k

This means Forza Horizon 5 declined more rapidly than F1. The chart shows F1 hitting just under its all-time peak while Forza Horizon 5 is not anywhere close.

So as the year goes on, you might see a decline in Forza Horizon 4 and Halo Infinite. Forza 5 is on a subscription service and more people have access to it compared to a game like NBA 2K22. Halo Infinite is free-to-play and it's not known how long it's going to stay in the top 5.

I said it's bigger on PC compared to Xbox. I never said the numbers are bad.

You guys consider these numbers good. Sea of Thieves sold around 7 million copies on 2 platforms and GT Sport sold 8 million on one...but you want to believe it's impossible for a game like Gran Turismo 7 to average 15k or more.

Concern

U0ptxGc.jpg
I enjoyed Factions on Ps3 and on the remaster but its a game for niche crowd. Nobody that didn't have the patience to sneak around at least 80% of a match was going to stick around.

I said before that TLOU MP is probably their most popular MP game in recent years and it still has a active community online. People who criticize Sony's MP games think this game barely has any players or that it died shortly after it was released.

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Then these same people wanna downplay multiplayer games on Xbox. There's a reason why people pay for plus and its definitely not for Factions.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Then these same people wanna downplay multiplayer games on Xbox. There's a reason why people pay for plus and its definitely not for Factions.
Let me know when you want to discuss stats. That's what the Xbox guys in this thread are avoiding. If not, then I won't entertain your posts. lol

Cyborg

The potential is there let's wait for the execution. It's the same with MS all of their studios, sure on paper, they have a lot of potential but let's wait and see what they will deliver.

Ozriel

M$FT
Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite are new games. These games are on subscription services or Free-to-Play. So, it's not shocking that they're still in the top 10 of most played Xbox Games.

Here's what you don't understand

Halo Infinite
94gMyUz.png

The game has been on the decline week by week on PC.

Forza Horizon 5
yShIlxR.png

Both games have been on the decline week after week. This could change with more content or BR more, but that's an unknown right now.

There are other shooting games with a higher concurrent use base that launched years ago and they're doing better than Halo Infinite on PC.

What about other racers?

F1 2021
dV0NCn9.png

Let's look into this.

Racers
Forza Horizon 5

All-Time Peak - 81k
24h Peak - 15k
F1 2021
All-Time Peak - 25k
24h Peak - 13k

This means Forza Horizon 5 declined more rapidly than F1. The chart shows F1 hitting just under its all-time peak while Forza Horizon 5 is not anywhere close.

So as the year goes on, you might see a decline in Forza Horizon 4 and Halo Infinite. Forza 5 is on a subscription service and more people have access to it compared to a game like NBA 2K22. Halo Infinite is free-to-play and it's not known how long it's going to stay in the top 5.

I said it's bigger on PC compared to Xbox. I never said the numbers are bad.

You guys consider these numbers good. Sea of Thieves sold around 7 million copies on 2 platforms and GT Sport sold 8 million on one...but you want to believe it's impossible for a game like Gran Turismo 7 to average 15k or more.

Yes, Halo Infinite just launched...and STILL commands a high user count on console and a very decent count on PC. On the US Xbox store, it still has more players than any non-F2P COD.
As the year goes by, we actually expect to see the userbase climb on Steam, as Season One content comes out and matchmaking issues with the BTB mode gets fixed.
You predicting a userbase reduction with improved progression, more maps, more modes/playlists, Forge and the addition of co-op is hilarious.

If you exclude the BR games, yes, there are other FPS games with higher concurrents than Halo Infinite. You know what they have in common? Fully fleshed out content, tons of maps and modes etc, from years of content updates.

And yes, Forza Horizon 5 declined more rapidly than F1 2021. FH5's unique proposition is how it appeals to a wider variety of gamers than the usually niche racing genre does...and you can see that in the disparity between sales on F1 2021 and FH5.
What your 'analysis' does not convey is the playerbase on PC Gamepass, where undoubtedly a good number of people are playing the game. And as said earlier, the game's doing very well indeed on console.

Your problem is deeply rooted in console warring. Because I need you to point out to me where I've said that GT7 can't average 15k users. Why do you do these things?

Ozriel

M$FT

U0ptxGc.jpg

This is apparently based on a survey of 10269 players, so it doesn't mean that's the total playerbase.
At best, you can use that to determine ranking (like they've done).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes, Halo Infinite just launched...and STILL commands a high user count on console and a very decent count on PC. On the US Xbox store, it still has more players than any non-F2P COD.
As the year goes by, we actually expect to see the userbase climb on Steam, as Season One content comes out and matchmaking issues with the BTB mode gets fixed.
You predicting a userbase reduction with improved progression, more maps, more modes/playlists, Forge and the addition of co-op is hilarious.

If you exclude the BR games, yes, there are other FPS games with higher concurrents than Halo Infinite. You know what they have in common? Fully fleshed out content, tons of maps and modes etc, from years of content updates.

The player count declined and you don't know how it's going to fare going forward. Your points are based on assumptions.

And yes, Forza Horizon 5 declined more rapidly than F1 2021. FH5's unique proposition is how it appeals to a wider variety of gamers than the usually niche racing genre does...and you can see that in the disparity between sales on F1 2021 and FH5.
What your 'analysis' does not convey is the playerbase on PC Gamepass, where undoubtedly a good number of people are playing the game. And as said earlier, the game's doing very well indeed on console.

Yes, game pass on PC where the user base is even smaller compared to steam and Xbox. That won't work. The fact still remains that despite having a higher concurrent user count, the decline dropped rapidly.

Your problem is deeply rooted in console warring. Because I need you to point out to me where I've said that GT7 can't average 15k users. Why do you do these things?

The problem with people on here is that I'm providing facts and people want to jump around it.

If I said there's a good chance that The Last of Us fractions is going to be more popular than Gears of War, then you would have Xbox fans laughing at me. The stats show is that it's not as popular as Xbox fans are making it out to be. It's unknown exactly how TLOU MP performed, but what we do know is that there are still many fans playing it today and Gears 5 is not a huge multiplayer title.

Concern

You don't have concurrent player counts, neither do you have them at their peak.

Sorry, but you're doing exactly what I predicted.

And you do? From what we do have, its definitely not indicative of what you're trying to say here.

your assumptions as facts vs some actual numbers. I think I'll go with the numbers 😉

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And you do? From what we do have, its definitely not indicative of what you're trying to say here.
Actually, it does.

158 is based on 12.5k users. That's less than 1 percent of TLOU owners and less than 1 percent of PS Owners.

TLOU 2 MP is almost 8 years old, which means the concurrent player count is not going to be nearly as high when it was released in 2014.

There's also a trophy called Populace and 6% of all TLOU players have acquired this trophy out of 44+ million players. That means at least 2.5 million players have played at least multiple sessions of TLOU online. I said "at least" because the trophy was glitched and many people couldn't acquire it.

You need more stats.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just quoting my post. I said buying Bungie instead of relying on untested studios is their best hope.

It is very rare for new players to come in and blow everyone away. I can see if they get Bungie, but to pin your hopes on Jade Raymond and some ex-Treyarch and Bungie burnouts is wishful thinking. Besides, these games take like 4-5 years to make. Thats how long it took Respawn to make Titanfall after splitting up with Activision. Thats how long it took Kojima to release Death Stranding after he was fired by konami. Same goes for Bungie who split up with Microsoft in September 2010 after shipping Halo and had to wait a full 4 years to make Destiny and they still released half a game.

The ex-DICE guys who started Embark studios 3 years ago still arent even close to releasing their new shooter. Dont expect any of these games to ship before 2024-2025. There is a reason why Sony hasnt even revealed them. They are too far away.

Time for internal team creation is over. It's too late to nurture new studios and hope the new IPs grow and blossom into bonafide IPs like COD. CoD was big but not huge until its FOURTH game. Epic revolutionized the third person genre, single handedly invented coop horde modes and PvE and they still didnt get to CoD level success until Fortnite over a decade later. This shit takes time. Partnering with untested newly formed studios is good for long term investment, but they need to act now and if they dont go out and overpay for Bungie, GTA Online and Fortnite, there wont be a userbase to sell those new IPs to. They have already lost three of the biggest WRPGs in Fallout, Starfield and Elder Scrolls. They have already lost Doom, Overwatch, CoD and Wolfenstein. They cannot just sit by and hope a new studio turns into Naughty Dog in a flash. It took Naughty Dog 20 years of being a Sony dev to get to where they are today.

I even said they would need to overpay for Bungie. lol

MiguelItUp

Thing is there's a lot of potential but its still in the "let's see what comes out" category. Deviation being the most promising obviously
Exactly. It's really hard to decipher such a thing, even after acquiring Bungie. It just all depends on how things pan out. As always, there's a lot of pieces that make such successful projects happen.

Banjo64

cumsessed
All of the indie start ups etc are a load of crap that’ll never dent the market. Bungie is ensuring they still have a big ol’ swinging dick at the FPS table.

ZywyPL

Banned
Just quoting my post. I said buying Bungie instead of relying on untested studios is their best hope.

It is very rare for new players to come in and blow everyone away. I can see if they get Bungie, but to pin your hopes on Jade Raymond and some ex-Treyarch and Bungie burnouts is wishful thinking. Besides, these games take like 4-5 years to make. Thats how long it took Respawn to make Titanfall after splitting up with Activision. Thats how long it took Kojima to release Death Stranding after he was fired by konami. Same goes for Bungie who split up with Microsoft in September 2010 after shipping Halo and had to wait a full 4 years to make Destiny and they still released half a game.

The ex-DICE guys who started Embark studios 3 years ago still arent even close to releasing their new shooter. Dont expect any of these games to ship before 2024-2025. There is a reason why Sony hasnt even revealed them. They are too far away.

Time for internal team creation is over. It's too late to nurture new studios and hope the new IPs grow and blossom into bonafide IPs like COD. CoD was big but not huge until its FOURTH game. Epic revolutionized the third person genre, single handedly invented coop horde modes and PvE and they still didnt get to CoD level success until Fortnite over a decade later. This shit takes time. Partnering with untested newly formed studios is good for long term investment, but they need to act now and if they dont go out and overpay for Bungie, GTA Online and Fortnite, there wont be a userbase to sell those new IPs to. They have already lost three of the biggest WRPGs in Fallout, Starfield and Elder Scrolls. They have already lost Doom, Overwatch, CoD and Wolfenstein. They cannot just sit by and hope a new studio turns into Naughty Dog in a flash. It took Naughty Dog 20 years of being a Sony dev to get to where they are today.

I even said they would need to overpay for Bungie. lol

It takes time and luck. Barely anyone remembers anymore that Fortnite was a Minecraft rip-off that was DOA, and Epic added BR mode as a last-ditch effort, not knowing it'll become one of the biggest games of all times. But there was also Paragon and new Unreal Tournament, both cancelled. If it wasn't for Fortnite's unexpected success Epic would most likely be just an engine creator today.

But yeah, that just shows how risky modern market is, ESPECIALLY in the MP field, barely anyone will want to spend 100-150M on a new, unproven IP only for it to bomb hard, whereas buying a renowned, established games, whether full/timed exclusivity or entire studio is the logical way to go, because otherwise before you establish an AAA studio from scratch the generation will be long time over. And with companies like MS, Google, FB and Amazon lurking behind the corner, there might not be anything left once you wake up that you need more studios now, so it's now or never. By the end of this generation there will probably just a few, huge publishers left, just like that one tweet predicted some time ago.

SLB1904

Banned
Exactly. It's really hard to decipher such a thing, even after acquiring Bungie. It just all depends on how things pan out. As always, there's a lot of pieces that make such successful projects happen.
yeah of course.. new games have 50/50 chance to be great or shit, doesnt matter who makes it

yeah of course.. new games have 50/50 chance to be great or shit, doesnt matter who makes it

Yep, i believe if sony puts out a bunch of multiplayer, including big budget stuff like factions its only a matter of time before they strike gold.

I’m a single player gamer mostly but I’m excited to see how sony translates their big single player success into other ventures

WildBoy

It seems like maybe Sony new of the loss of Call of Duty because since the past year they’ve been signing exclusive partnerships with studio heads known for their multiplayer titles. Not only that but it seems like their big 1st party studios are also all working on multiplayer titles. It seems like this generation is gonna be all about playstation studios really expanding their portfolio of games beyond what they have become known for, the action adventure, open world, cinematic style games.

It seems like they will at least be applying that cinematic and polished style to their multiplayer efforts and if they’re as good as their single player games sony is gonna be in a great position by mid gen.

• Naughty Dog’s Multiplayer - stand alone spinoff game from TLOU2 directed by Anthony Newman. Said to be a cinematic multiplayer experience
  • Haven Studios game - Led by Jade Raymond, the game being developed for PlayStation may have as its main highlight the multiplayer feature and will focus on keeping the audience engaged in the game by "live service"
  • Firewalks Multiplayer shooter - This game will probably be the first out, it was fully playable as of last March. This game is being led by Ryan Ellis, ex-creative director for Destiny
  • Deviation Games - recent job listing states, “We are looking for a skilled Senior Game Designer who’s written and scripted quest and mission content in AAA single-player or multiplayer RPGs/Action/story games. Ideally, someone who has worked in games for several years, executed on early stage rapid development and worked on co-op multiplayer games.” - Deviation Games was set up in November 2019 by former Treyarch Studios developers Dave Anthony and Jason Blundell, both of whom played a key role in the success of the Call of Duty: Black Ops series.
    Blundell, one of the chief creators of Call of Duty's popular zombies mode
  • Firesprite Studios -Sonys newest Studio, we know they’re working on Twisted Metal, they may possibly be working on another AAA multiplayer shooter
  • Guerrilla Games - they are working on a multiplayer shooter led by Rainbow Six Seige Director Simon Larouche. This game has been in production since 2018
We also know Insomniac have another multiplayer game in production. We also know Illfonic (Predator Hunting Grounds) are working on a Ghost Busters game. There’s also Arrowhead studios who have been working on a AAA 3rd person version Helldivers 2 according to the GeForce leak and their blogpost about it.

There’s at least 10 multiplayer games in production over at SIE and they seem to be investing a lot of money into them. I see Sony having a good stable of single player, multiplayer, VR, and mobile games this gen. It’s gonna be an exciting time for playstation fans
It seems as if this and it seems as if that... I dunno a lot of assumptions here...

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony are in a weird position where clearly their wider player base value multiplayer games heavily - their top two selling games of 2021 were the last two Call of Duty titles. So so much for the idea that the only thing that matters to PlayStation players are so called "prestige" single player exclusives.
The wider player base has always been multi player.
Fifa and call of duty always top the charts.
GTA as well, and it's not because of its single player campaign. It is because of the sonkine component.

People in here has always been like "people buy playstation because of the exclusives".

Meanwhile people buy a PlayStation to play call of duty, fifa etc with their friends, and it has always been the case.

But nice to see people in here wake up to the reality.
I imagine the fanboys will suddenly love MP the day Sony announces their next first party MP. Saying it looks unique or there’s nothing like it!
They are already doing it in the other thread lol.
And they’ll probably be right.

Sony has the opportunity to create their own splatoon or apex
You are all acting like you just toss some maps and some guns with attachments in a pot of stew and it is commercially a succes.

It might be that easy for Sony because for the hardcore fan(boy) fans, but looking at sonys backlog they've never really had popular online games.
yeah but that was my whole point. Sony has had lots of multiplayer games - But none have been really successful or big.

Every single multiplayer game/mode has faded away quickly unlike Sonys MASSIVE success on the singleplayer front. Sony has really relied on third parties for multiplayer (Destiny, Rocket L, Fortnite, CoD, Battlefield, Minecraft etc)
People talk about sonys games the first few months, then they get forgotten when a new single player games hits.

No one really talks about them anymore, yet people still talk daily about call of duty, forrnite etc.
Twitch lol

Success is sales and reviews.
Sales and based reviews are important for stock holders, yes.

Not for the 3 people trying to find a match.

SpokkX

The wider player base has always been multi player.
Fifa and call of duty always top the charts.
GTA as well, and it's not because of its single player campaign. It is because of the sonkine component.

People in here has always been like "people buy playstation because of the exclusives".

Meanwhile people buy a PlayStation to play call of duty, fifa etc with their friends, and it has always been the case.

But nice to see people in here wake up to the reality.

They are already doing it in the other thread lol.

You are all acting like you just toss some maps and some guns with attachments in a pot of stew and it is commercially a succes.

It might be that easy for Sony because for the hardcore fan(boy) fans, but looking at sonys backlog they've never really had popular online games.

People talk about sonys games the first few months, then they get forgotten when a new single player games hits.

No one really talks about them anymore, yet people still talk daily about call of duty, forrnite etc.

Sales and based reviews are important for stock holders, yes.

Not for the 3 people trying to find a match.

Yeah the purchase of bungie a few days aftee this thread sony also knows that they have no multiplayer games worth mentioning

Well.. with bungie they do have now in destiny

manfestival

Want to give another suggestion in here too. They need to bring back Warhawk. Yes this has been mentioned but I think people forget that Starhawk was created. Which was done on the success of Warhawk but was a failure because the devs did not listen and created something that strayed from Warhawk. If we got a game like Warhawk and not like Starhawk then that is what people really want. Look, I know Starhawk has it's fans but what the people always wanted was more of Warhawk and not an evolution of it into fortnite before fortnite.

yurinka

Fighting games are mostly played on console, specifically on PS. I've been tracking estimated SFV Steam sales and total SFV sales, and since the start the Steam sales have been between 1/5 and 1/6 of the total.

And well, Street Fighter V was released 6 years ago.

My Uncle works at Westinghouse and told me that Bungie is making this MP killer app for the PS5.

iu
Fake news, they are working on Knackity 3.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Want to give another suggestion in here too. They need to bring back Warhawk. Yes this has been mentioned but I think people forget that Starhawk was created. Which was done on the success of Warhawk but was a failure because the devs did not listen and created something that strayed from Warhawk. If we got a game like Warhawk and not like Starhawk then that is what people really want. Look, I know Starhawk has it's fans but what the people always wanted was more of Warhawk and not an evolution of it into fortnite before fortnite.

Why do you think Warhawk failed? What needs to change for a new version to be successful?

I can't believe I missed out on it for the PS3 (I bought Uncharted 2 with it...damn you Metacritic!) but I don't think Sony can greenlight a sequel without fixing what was broken about it.

Top Bottom