• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonys upcoming Multiplayer Games have the ability to take them to the next level

manfestival

Why do you think Warhawk failed? What needs to change for a new version to be successful?

I can't believe I missed out on it for the PS3 (I bought Uncharted 2 with it...damn you Metacritic!) but I don't think Sony can greenlight a sequel without fixing what was broken about it.
That's a great question. If I were to speculate it would be that maybe the whole building on the fly mechanic was still somewhat ahead of its time. Though I have forgotten about the trends. I do recall that Starhawk had a lukewarm fan reaction. The devs kept the general art direction, gunplay(which took time to get used to since it was so floaty), and UI. However the gameplay was changed drastically. There were so many great hours spent playing Warhawk. I picked it up cause I needed a mic and the game was $40 at gamestop. Fantastic decision

kyliethicc

BTW these are the low res leaked shots of the upcoming TLOU multiplayer.

This leak was from March 2020 after the game was made standalone from TLOU2. Its on PS4 obviously.

A lot of this was from loading tests and stuff wasn't playable, it was rough.

This menu lists a 2v2 Encounter, Expedition Day 1, Skip to the Next Day, and to Restart Expedition.
That could be for PvE. Seems hard to imagine you could skip/restart something if it was PvP.

b6JDXjw.jpg

This shot shows PvP in the Seattle school map. Player character is a what looks like a Wolf.
There's a new HUD with what looks like armor + health bars, and a gas mask with a durability meter.
Still shows parts collection like in old Factions, and looks like the player has a new shotty pistol.
Also there's a compass (behind the DS4 overlay thats part of the dev kit) in the top right HUD.

d3ama43.jpg

This shot shows PvP in the the old Checkpoint map from the 1st game. Player character is a Wolf.
This might indicate the game will have both TLOU Parts 1+2 maps and weapons.
Looks like there's a player count in the top left HUD. Could be for players alive/dead, hard to say.
KdEhMFq.jpg

This shot showed Wolf and Scar NPCs while loading, but could just be placeholders for user created characters.
tVjjQ8w.jpg

This shot shows someone playing as a Scar and using a bow. Same PvP at Checkpoint.

bjuOARs.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have faith in Sonys mp games.

The only time they had a strong mp game line up was back in the PS3 days.

What strong mp game had they during the PS4 era? Uncharted 4??

I don't have faith in Sonys mp games.

The only time they had a strong mp game line up was back in the PS3 days.

What strong mp game had they during the PS4 era? Uncharted 4??
TLOU Factions was fun. UC4 as you mentioned as well. I had a decent time with Killzone Shadow Fall but that didn't last very long.

As much as I love their single player games like God of War and Bloodborne. I'd love too see what they can do with MP space with the proper developer and good budget.

Bungie proves you can’t just tack on a multiplayer mode anymore

You need a genuine team that continually updates the MP and fosters routine engagement as a platform for years to come

That’s why I’m not sure Sony should distract other studios with GaaS unless they are ready to make a big commitment…but that takes resources away from the SP games

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
BTW these are the low res leaked shots of the upcoming TLOU multiplayer.

This leak was from March 2020 after the game was made standalone from TLOU2. Its on PS4 obviously.

A lot of this was from loading tests and stuff wasn't playable, it was rough.

This menu lists a 2v2 Encounter, Expedition Day 1, Skip to the Next Day, and to Restart Expedition.
That could be for PvE. Seems hard to imagine you could skip/restart something if it was PvP.

b6JDXjw.jpg

This shot shows PvP in the Seattle school map. Player character is a what looks like a Wolf.
There's a new HUD with what looks like armor + health bars, and a gas mask with a durability meter.
Still shows parts collection like in old Factions, and looks like the player has a new shotty pistol.

d3ama43.jpg

This shot shows PvP in the the old Checkpoint map from the 1st game. Player character is a Wolf.
This might indicate the game will have both TLOU Parts 1+2 maps and weapons.
Looks like there's a player count in the top left HUD. Could be for players alive/dead, hard to say.
KdEhMFq.jpg

This shot showed Wolf and Scar NPCs while loading, but could just be placeholders for user created characters.
tVjjQ8w.jpg

This shot shows someone playing as a Scar and using a bow. Same PvP at Checkpoint.

bjuOARs.jpg

Do you think these leaks became public in 2020 or do you think the game shown is from a 2020 build?

EDMIX

It’ll be a flood of $70 unfinished GaaS shit that has already ruined Gran Turismo for me.
? That doesn't really many any sense though...

GT7 has more cars then GT Sport...zero evidence that its "unfinished" as even the cars you get after launch are all free....

I mean...what the fuck did you expect GT7 to be with zero GAAS? That might make more sense for GT then lots of games as it has online and its normal to see additional stuff from GT, even before online.

Like Gran Turismo Concept Toyko or Concept Seoul etc

You'd just fucking cry then and be like "omg wooooooow its unfinished, that concept shit ruined GT for mez" lol

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
It’ll be a flood of $70 unfinished GaaS shit that has already ruined Gran Turismo for me.

The $70 part yeah, but if Sony studios put forth the same amount of effort in there multiplayer games as they did single player titles last gen, we are in for a treat. Fingers crossed.

Also, I completely disagree with the GT7 unfinished part of your statement.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think Xbox fans tend to overestimate the popularity of Microsoft's multiplayer titles.

Halo Infinite
Most played Xbox Games - 5th
Steam - Current: 16,151 | 24 Hour Peak: 29,830

Forza Horizon 5
Most Played Xbox Games - 9th
Steam - Current: 13,112 | 24 Hour Peak: 15,814

Gears 5
Most Played Xbox Games - Out of the Top 50
Steam - Current: 356 | 24 Hour Peak: 383

Forza 7
Most Played Xbox Games - Out of the Top 50

Sea of Thieves
Most Played Xbox Games - 32rd
Steam - Current: 16,426 | 24 Hour Peak 17,133

Gears 5 - doesn't appear to be a huge multiplayer title. The game was released in September 2019 and there are games that were released before 2019 with a higher player count.

Sea of Thieves - How popular is this game on Xbox? This game tends to hover around 30 of the top Xbox Games played (you can check the time machine website). The core players appear to be on PC with a concurrent player count at around 16k on average.

Forza 7 - Forza Motorsports series are often niche, but Xbox fans want to make you believe that it's more popular than the Gran Turismo series and it's one of the top multiplayer Xbox games.

Forza Horizon 5 & Halo Infinite
These two games seem to be doing well on Xbox. However, Halo Infinite is not among the top shooting games on PC. Destiny, Rainbow Six Siege are performing better. Halo is considered one of the premier shooters out there, but the numbers tell us differently. Forza is at 15k concurrent players on Steam.

This also doesn't count the multiplayer titles that didn't succeed.

Grounded
Gears Tactics
Halo Wars 1
Halo Wars 2
Bleeding Edge

The point is, Xbox fans want you to believe that MS is putting out a lot of great MP games with a strong player base and that's simply not true. Sony hasn't put out much because most of their main studios were developing SP games and they're currently working on many MP games. The belief that many people have in here that it will be nearly impossible to make a successful MP title than the ones mentioned above is really funny.

Just bumping this.

People laughed at me because they thought Sony couldn't make a multiplayer game as big as the ones mentioned on this list.

Uhh... Well, now that Halo has declined shortly after its release, it shouldn't be a huge mountain to climb now. lol.

I really don’t mind the mp and live service if it meant they are going on to put more resources in single players games, but that’s not the case, they are trying to go all in on mp and live service games, and keep their 1 single player game a year. If the live service games succeed, I can see them cutting down on single player games.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Sounds like their game is along the lines of destiny from their job postings

Very interested in what they are cooking up!

They probably thought they could coast off the third parties and be a “speciality” publisher but i think when Hermen Hulst and Shu and a bunch of people got promoted and shuffled around a few years ago they decided they had to diversify the line up. Thats something Hulst has been saying a lot in interviews.

I think it was under Shawn layden that the open world/action gams became the dominate game under sony. The studios were also a lot smaller last gen. They didn’t really have the capacity to develop multiple games at once like they do now

Sony probably knows that coasting off of third parties is no longer a guarantee. They need to some how become self sustaining.

EDMIX

I really don’t mind the mp and live service if it meant they are going on to put more resources in single players games, but that’s not the case, they are trying to go all in on mp and live service games, and keep their 1 single player game a year. If the live service games succeed, I can see them cutting down on single player games.

yea I see no evidence of that.

Make a post with facts, link what you are talking about instead fake claims man lol

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Last of Us Factions 2 100% needs to release Oct/Nov 2023. If done right, could be a huge holiday game..

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Funny. I've played the entire game without spending a single euro after buying the game . Nit even far from the platinum at this point.

Cool, so did I. Got gold trophies in everything. The GT7 solo content is less than GT Sport while also trickling out content slower than that game. Even if you don’t use it and grinded or glitches around it, the entire economy was built for microtransaction FOMO shit at launch.

EDMIX

Cool, so did I. Got gold trophies in everything. The GT7 solo content is less than GT Sport while also trickling out content slower than that game. Even if you don’t use it and grinded or glitches around it, the entire economy was built for microtransaction FOMO shit at launch.

Nahhhhh that sounds like suspect.

GT Sport 168 cars, 29 tracks at launch, 338 total cars when factored post launch

GT7 420 cars, 35 tracks AT LAUNCH 441 total cars thus far for post launch.

By default GT7 had more at launch, then Sport did even after factoring in post launch. This literally is a factual objective thing that you can look up, stop spreading fake shit man lol

Even to stress it further, GT7 has only been out for 6 months...., they've already put out around 21 free cars (i could be wrong as they might have put out more since I last checked, i'm not sure) That would be at a tone of 42 cars a year.

GT Sport came out 5 years ago, lets say if we factor the extra 170 post launch cars, divide it by 5 years, its actually around 34 cars a year....I see zero evidence that GT7 is bringing out content slower sir. I feel in order to even make that claim, we'd need to be a good 5 years in to even see how they stack up post launch, but by default GT7 is already MORE content then Sport.

Last edited:

EDMIX

that those games stink and they're the only multiplayer games they've dropped in years

i'm not saying they won't figure it out but i have no reason to think they are gonna knock it outta the park either

Well...you'd first have to figure out who "they" are, that same team isn't just doing ALL Playstation MP titles or something.

So them getting some team of ex COD developers for that new IP or buying Bungie is why many are looking forward to whats being made. As in, they are buying and building teams that have a large history with MP titles.

Last edited:
You mean GT7 after 6 months has less content than GT Sport after...5 years of added content?

I mean...good for GT Sport? lmao Now let's compare both of them after 6 months? :)

GT7 is basically the best of both worlds, you get free content every month like the previous game as well. Are they locking new tracks, cars, menus behind any sort of paywall?

GT7, like the previous game will give you new content every damn month...it's not a game that releases with everything. It's been that way since Gran Turismo 5 actually.

REDRZA MWS

Baseball is dog shit. I’ve put well over 50 hours in to TLoU and Remastered online. I didn’t bother with GT Sport after the piss poor reviews and user complaints.

I’m sorry but are you comparing those games to Smash, Splatoon and even Mario Kart? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Never mind CoD, Halo, Overwatch, Gears, Forza and Sea of Thieves :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I remember buying BF4 and Killzone SF with my PS4. SF had dropped to an unplayable player base within 3 or 4 days of launch, like 100 people online. None of Sony’s games have had stickabity, so like I said; they have it all to prove.
MLB The Show is fucking awesome. Consistently the best sports game every single year. DD mode is fun as hell. Get your head out of your ass.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
People expect A Sony quality Multiplayer AAA GaaS.

If they nail that, they will elevate the benchmark of those kind of games.

The odds are against plays station tho.

I loved TLOU multiplayer, but those pay to win guns/perks is not the way to monetize a game.
Naughty Dog always make a great multiplayer and find a way to fuck it up.
I don't remember much about Uncharted 4 multiplayer but i remember they still have paid gun. You can technically unlock them without paying, but the process is extremely long and tedious. It must takes hundreds of hours to attempt to unlock the DLC gameplay items without paying.
Hope faction 2 won't be the same case.

pasterpl

Any single platform BR game will loose with war zone and Fortnite
Any single platform live service game with loose with lots of live service games that are on pc/multi platform.
Any single platform mp fps will lose with cod, pugb etc.

I cannot see gaining the mindshare in mp space unless they release day 1 on pc as well (at least).

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Nahhhhh that sounds like suspect.

GT Sport 168 cars, 29 tracks at launch, 338 total cars when factored post launch

GT7 420 cars, 35 tracks AT LAUNCH 441 total cars thus far for post launch.

By default GT7 had more at launch, then Sport did even after factoring in post launch. This literally is a factual objective thing that you can look up, stop spreading fake shit man lol

Even to stress it further, GT7 has only been out for 6 months...., they've already put out around 21 free cars (i could be wrong as they might have put out more since I last checked, i'm not sure) That would be at a tone of 42 cars a year.

GT Sport came out 5 years ago, lets say if we factor the extra 170 post launch cars, divide it by 5 years, its actually around 34 cars a year....I see zero evidence that GT7 is bringing out content slower sir. I feel in order to even make that claim, we'd need to be a good 5 years in to even see how they stack up post launch, but by default GT7 is already MORE content then Sport.

You are the one spreading fake shit. Go look at the update history.

I don’t even care to call out GT and quit playing it. I just think some design choices were clearly made for the dumbass GaaS trend and the game launched with less overall content than the last game. The solo content is a joke. I hope that isn’t true with all their $70+ GaaS stuff.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Question - what does everyone consider a next-level Multiplayer game?
a timeless, beautiful multiplayer game that has an infinite skill ceiling and techskill, a game which isn't afraid to open itself up and let you mod it and have custom servers. Think Quake 3, Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, DOOM, Quake 2, Titanfall 2, Ultrakill, etc
At least, to me that's next level. I haven't played a lot of MMORPGs so I can't speak on that front. That being said, I think MMORPGS are the best bet for Sony, they have more story than your typical online game, and Sony's all about those cinematics. I don't want them to make the Multiplayer FPS genre cinematic unless it's for singleplayer campaigns, that ruins the appeal of it to me personally. When I hop on a server I do it because I want to frag some noobs and get fragged repeatedly myself. I really don't have the patience to sit through a large story when I'm there to get a high score.

Kagey K

Banned
A bold claim without even having any idea what any of them are.

Let's see if it pays off

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Sony has the world wide, world renown IP in Socom. All they need to do is make a great one. Seems for whatever reason they just won’t do it.

Pelta88

Sony has the world wide, world renown IP in Socom. All they need to do is make a great one. Seems for whatever reason they just won’t do it.

Business wise, what you're alluding to is that Sony give up on the yearly $1.37 Billion.

I have no doubt that if put in a position where they had no other choice, Playstation could create a 3 studio system dedicated to their own yearly COD release. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that approach is part of the plan. But right now, the 1.37 billion (2020) is a significant amount of revenue and player base to just give up on in favour of Socom.

Respectfully...

Last edited:
I think Sony will start making good online games while MS will start making amazing single player games this generation.

Going to be great.

I think Sony will start making good online games while MS will start making amazing single player games this generation.

Going to be great.

It would be great if both could get the right balance between Muitplayer and Single player in their first party. Xbox in particular, I haven’t seen anything of the standards of a Uncharted for example and l would like to see it happen at some point. (Easier said than done of course)

It would be great if both could get the right balance between Muitplayer and Single player in their first party. Xbox in particular, I haven’t seen anything of the standards of a Uncharted for example and l would like to see it happen at some point. (Easier said than done of course)

Xbox is gonna get better stuff than Uncharted etc with Starfield, Redfall etc.

Only Sony's online games are unknown quantity at this point.

I’m talking about third person cinematic narrative driven action games. I don’t see the comparison between Uncharted and those two dude. Not having a go or anything

Deviation games project is a FPS which is a good start considering a lot of stuff on Sony’s part is third person.

Banjo64

cumsessed

How is Redfall going to be better than Uncharted?

Granted, Starfield, Avowed and Fable should be some of the biggest and Bess single player games in the industry when they release.

As for Sony, they struggle with online games. SOCOM, Resistance, Killzone have no mindshare at all. Their best hope for a mainstream game is an exclusive Bungie competitive shooter.

Top Bottom