• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

Lazaro

I have the original Z. If its like the other enhancements on Z1 and Z2 it will its way in a future update onto previous models.

darkwing

Guys, remember that you can remotely play in the Vita from anywhere.
With the Z3 you have to be close to your PS4, as in the same house...

it should be the same as the Vita, the Q/A said the same wifi with the PS4, not necessarily near the PS4

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
unknown9tjk4.jpeg

Is this Yakuza Zero?

It's an opera house so it's probably a leaked FFVI remake :p

I wonder whether the Z phones will be better at remote play than the Vita.

And this thing is waterproof? I told myself that I'd never get another Sony phone after both the Sony Ericman Walkman phones that my wife and I had broke. This however is very tempting.

SerTapTap

Guys, remember that you can remotely play in the Vita from anywhere.
With the Z3 you have to be close to your PS4, as in the same house...

Also the Vita has dedicated controls and is about 3x more portable than the DS4 itself. ...plus not everyone is going to buy a specific phone considerably more expensive than the Vita.

Bugger just upgraded my contract from a Samsung S3 to a Xperia Z2. Hoping this comes to the Z2 at some point. If not I'll just upgrade I guess. Looks cool though.

Piccoro

it should be the same as the Vita, the Q/A said the same wifi with the PS4, not necessarily near the PS4

Of course, but what do you think is the range of a Wifi router?
Can you leave your house and still get your home wireless signal on the street? lol

HouseOfBalloons

Neo Member
And this thing is waterproof? I told myself that I'd never get another Sony phone after both the Sony Ericman Walkman phones that my wife and I had broke. This however is very tempting.

That's a long time ago. Sony imo makes some of the best Android phones right now. It would definitely be worth a shot to give them another try. Another plus side is that their skins are not very intrusive and somewhat minimal when you compare them to Samsung phones (the most popular choice for the average consumer).

Qassim

This could probably be better than the PSVita remote play in a fair few ways.

1. Dualshock 4 support, the biggest downfall of Vita remote play for me is the controls.
2. Potentially better performance. It works very well on the Vita, but the WiFi chip in this phone will almost certainly be better than that in the Vita.
3. Higher res screen - 1080p streaming?

RulkezX

Bugger just upgraded my contract from a Samsung S3 to a Xperia Z2. Hoping this comes to the Z2 at some point. If not I'll just upgrade I guess. Looks cool though.

Same boat, kinda annoyed if this is being restricted to the Z3 just to shift units and not for technical reasons

ricki42

Well, the device is essentially just streaming video so I would assume it be the same as streaming video.

So it might actually be limited by the DS4 battery life rather than the phone.

But I'm wondering: it looks like the controller mount completely covers the LED on the DS4. Is the LED turned off when the mount is clipped on?

I'm looking to upgrade but I think I will wait until I see impressions of using the carrier and not wifi. I hope Sony is just being cautious and only recommending Wifi due to the variables with home internet speeds.

Time will tell I guess.

That's a long time ago. Sony imo makes some of the best Android phones right now. It would definitely be worth a shot to give them another try. Another plus side is that their skins are not very intrusive and somewhat minimal when you compare them to Samsung phones (the most popular choice for the average consumer).

I went from a Galaxy Note II to an Xperia Z2. I'm extremely happy with my purchase :)
I'll continue going with Sony in the future.

Business

1. Dualshock 4 support, the biggest downfall of Vita remote play for me is the controls.
2. Potentially better performance. It works very well on the Vita, but the WiFi chip in this phone will almost certainly be better than that in the Vita.

Listen to this man!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm kind of surprised they strapped the compact tablet into the holder on the DS4 too... I guess it must be very light.

I'd be perfectly happy to use my DS4 with a 10" tablet too...but obviously with the tablet standing on its own on a table or whatever. Shame this doesn't seem to be heading any time soon to other devices...come on Sony, that's the right thing to do to really let gamers have their content 'where they want it, when they want it'.

sajj316

Yes. This is what I'm thinking as well. The technology is better on this phone than the Vita. I'm assuming that the connectivity will be better allowing for better IQ and lower latency (I hope).

Would the connection potentially be better than using a Vita? I have to imagine these new phones have better wifi.

I like remote playing on my Vita but that 8" tablet with a DS4 attached looks like heaven.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So Vita's relevancy is diminishing even more. I like mine, but it's been clear for a while now that Sony gives no shits about the Vita going forward.

I'm expecting for the upcoming cycle of handhelds they won't even partake, and just do this remote play thing instead.

Wow, this is actually really cool. I don't know whether I'll be upgrading to the Z3 anytime soon, but this is a very compelling reason to consider it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

3. Higher res screen - 1080p streaming?
Exactly. I don't know about wifi, bit in terms of controls it's already awesome.

Falaut

2 pages in and no "vita starring out a window on a rainy day" pic. Come on Gaf!

I'm all about Sony phones, but I'll stick with the Vita for this type of thing.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You can remote play with a Vita anywhere, and it doesn't require anything extra. This is just another option.

Sure, but as an independent platform, this move makes it seem like Sony's direction going forward will definitely change with regards to dedicated handheld devices. Why bother making one if people can just use their phones? More people have a Sony smartphone than a Vita.

Gameboy415

Very cool!

I've needed a new phone for ages (I'm still using my 4+ year old Samsung Epic 4G, haha) and I've been considering switching to Sony for a while now.

Any word on if the Z3 is being released in the US?
If not, is it possible to import one and use it with a US carrier?

Quasar

Sure, but as an independent platform, this move makes it seem like Sony's direction going forward will definitely change with regards to dedicated handheld devices. Why bother making one if people can just use their phones? More people have a Sony smartphone than a Vita.

Makes sense. Sony just needs to solve things like carrier support on the US.

SmokyDave

That's exactly what's happening. Sony can get all the benefits and none of the stress if they just ditch the dedicated market and focus on improving gaming services for their viable devices. They aren't going to cut the Vita off, but they aren't going to do any more than the minimum required to keep it ticking over.

Hycran

Banned
While this is cool, I would definitely use this sparingly. Turning your brand new 800 dollar phones internal temperature up to something roughly equaling the suns carona on a daily basis probably isn't good for the longevity of the phone.

Buzza

While this is cool, I would definitely use this sparingly. Turning your brand new 800 dollar phones internal temperature up to something roughly equaling the suns carona on a daily basis probably isn't good for the longevity of the phone.

It's waterproof. Attach an ice pack to it.

I'm interested in another tablet and wouldn't mind this new sony tablet with remote play.

Do I guys think:
1. Remote play will be any better than vita?
2. Better screen on tablet means better image quality? 1080p?
3. Can we get 60fps now or is this tied to the ps4 software?
4. Better connection since wifi chip in this tablet will probably be better than the one on vita?

I need to know these things. Lol

Top Bottom