• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soo that PlayStation TV huh?

FinalAres

So I recently bought a PlayStation TV. Only £35, what a bargain! Now I can play all those digital psone, PSP and PS Vita games on the big screen.

NOPE

Nothing I want to play is compatible, be it PSP, PS Vita or Psone Classic.

No Final Fantasy games work, no Vagrant Story, no MGS. So much just doesn't work! (Eu Model)

And the PSP games look like hot garbage! Maybe that's just because theyre low res, but being outputted to 720p on my 1080p looks weird.

This is such a wasted opportunity. A classics style mini console with access to PSOne,PSP and PSVita games would be amazing IF IT ACTUALLY FRIGGING WORKED. That's before we even get started on the name and marketing of this device (PlayStation TV??)

Sony, make a PS Classic based on the hardware of a Vita, and make games actually work on it. That would be amazing please.

Oh by the way, does anyone know if I can switch to the US store and have more luck.

GHG

Gold Member
The idea was greater than its execution.

It's a shame because if they got it right I would have bought one.

If you're on firmware below 3.60 they are absolutely worth it.

With Henkaku you can not only whitelist blocked Vita titles, but you can unlock the PSone and PSP emulators and play any (nearly) title off of external storage, along with Nes and Genesis games at full-speed.

Luigiv

Yeah, I made a similar mistake. Recently bought a PSTV under the assumption that I'd be able to play all my Vita games on it by using homebrew to disable the whitelist and by using SD2Vita to actually store them, only to find out I can't actually download any of my games because Sony decided to block Vita's on older firmware from being activated a couple of months ago. :/

Shit sucks yo, my timing was terrible.

Jimrpg

The fact that Sony came out with a product where you have to look up a table to see if your Vita games are compatible with Vita TV is embarrassing.

Some perfectly acceptable and should be playable games like Everybody's Golf does not work on Vita TV.

I don't regret buying one because it does have an HDMI out to record stuff, but its a very lame product.

The greatest cause of this thing's failure was Sony, which is a shame because I really like it.

The whitelist was a terrible idea because it's so inconsistent. PS1 FF games are fine, but PSP don't work. Danganronpa 2 works but not the first. And it's different among regions as well.

At least Persona 4 and Digimon Cyber Sleuth work on it.

I just hope that the current firmware gets broken so I can both access the store and also play said games from the store.

FSLink

Banned
It didn't even have a Netflix app, like wtf.

I enjoyed mine since I got it cheap as a Persona machine but blah.

Springy

A lot of actual Vita games don't even work on it

Yeah, and that I get. The Vita has inputs that can't be replicated with a controller (I'm not saying this is reflected in their whitelist, but in principle I understand that shortcoming). The PS1 stuff that was already being emulated on the Vita hardware, though? It doesn't make any sense.

Springy

Sorry I've not tried MGS1. I meant both PSP MGS games and the MGS Collection on Vita.

Ah, sorry, I thought that sentence (FF, Vagrant Story, MGS) was all PS1 stuff you were trying out.

It's been a few years, but I think the MGS Collection on Vita used the touchscreen for inventory navigation, and without a patch (haha) that's what probably kept it off the TV. The PSP games being absent is just weird, but the PSP library on Vita has been weird since day two (not day one, though, RIP Phantasy Star Portable 2 ;_;).

With the right hacks you can now actually play anything on it with full motion and (fake) camera support. The system was a decent idea, just a terrible execution. Instead of a simple pop up saying some games might not be compatible due to lack of certain features like the camera, they deliberately just removed features like six axis supports from the Dual Shock 3 (which with the right hack you can activate on a game by game basis yourself) and had that terrible whitelist. Sony makes some weird, weird design choices way too often.
It'd be nice to get people involved with the project to elaborate on what the fuck happened in regards to the decisions that brought that thing to market in the state we got it one day.

-shadow-

With the right hacks you can now actually play anything on it with full motion and (fake) camera support. The system was a decent idea, just a terrible execution. Instead of a simple pop up saying some games might not be compatible due to lack of certain features like the camera, they deliberately just removed features like six axis supports from the Dual Shock 3 (which with the right hack you can activate on a game by game basis yourself) and had that terrible whitelist. Sony makes some weird, weird design choices way too often.

Hateful, shitty device. The only PlayStation hardware I ever regretted buying. Thankfully I only paid £35 for it, but even that feels like too much.

A nice piece of hardware ruined by a multitude of absolutely idiotic decisions by Sony and the spotty library of downloadable PS1 games and ridiculous pricing of PSP games on psn (in Japan).

Regret not hacking it when I had the chance.

MikeyB

I love it.

It plays what I want. Risk of Rain, Rogue Legacy, Muramasa, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Killzone Mercenary, Super Time Force Ultra, Child of Light, Castlevania, Ridge Racer, remote playing turn-based PS4 games.

It's annoying that it doesn't play everything, but it plays enough for it to be a decent console.

EmiPrime

I updated my PSTV having bought it on clearance because 95% of my games are PS+ "purchases" and because of trophies. I regret everything.

I'll echo other posts here, the thing is useless unless hacked.

I think it should be noted that compatibility lists vary between regions.

Anyway, people with updated firmware, have you tried the "backup hack"? Does it work whitelist-wise?

MGS Peace Walker doesn't but I'm pretty sure Portable Ops and PO Plus do.

Quite a few FF games should...

I've only tested FF Tactics myself (and Tactics Ogre.... my PS TV is basically my FFT/TO box), but the official PS Store list of comptabile PSTV games includes quite a few FFs.

It says FF III and IV from Vita work, and FF V-IX from PSOne classics do. Even the FF X/X-2 HD Vita version is said to work.

... Actually, and I'm just learning this as I write and search about this, I think it's because the PS TV has a seperate UK/EU list of games...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FFV7k4OD_gUyJML6z_nbLyC-R5xhh1xttpnQUvVqNs8/pubhtml#

Found that via a reddit post and seems like a lot of games that are compatabile with US PSTV are not with UK/EU PSTV.

lynux3

It's unfortunate... this device is a missed opportunity especially with Vue. It could have been a nice OTT.

Rellik

I thought this was a thread about the actual PlayStation TV.

61IrpMiRI3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

FinalAres

... Actually, and I'm just learning this as I write and search about this, I think it's because the PS TV has a seperate UK/EU list of games...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FFV7k4OD_gUyJML6z_nbLyC-R5xhh1xttpnQUvVqNs8/pubhtml#

Found that via a reddit post and seems like a lot of games that are compatabile with US PSTV are not with UK/EU PSTV.
Yep that's the main issue for me. Is there any way for me to Switch my store to the US one and the games work on my eu PS TV? That might solve many of my issues.

EDIT: there's also a lot on that UK/EU sheet that the store says isn't compatible with PS TV. Did they remove compatibility with some games later on? That would suck.

If it's just the Final Fantasies, then I can live with that, but there seems to be a hell of a lot more.

Rellik

Yep that's the main issue for me. Is there any way for me to Switch my store to the US one and the games work on my eu PS TV? That might solve many of my issues.

If it's anything like the Vita... no.

You had to reset the system and create a new account in a different region. Then you'd have to reset it again to get back to your main account. It was a single account system.

Ravelle

I bought one just for Persona 4 Golden.

I have no idea where that thing is now though, it's so small and it's probably lost between all other junk.

Pepboy

I bought one just for Persona 4 Golden.

I have no idea where that thing is now though, it's so small and it's probably lost between all other junk.

I also got mine just for Giren's Greed and New Giren's Greed (jp only psp games). No regrets, they work great and I love it.

FinalAres

So after doing some research (which is what I should have done in the first place...) I was just extremely unlucky. The games I tried first happened to be the ones that didn't work.

Vagrant Story apparently does work, despite what the store says, and the vast vast majority of PSP games work with no problem. Weird then that all the Final Fantasies are a no go.

I'm gonna give this thing another go tomorrow, with some wipeout, some MGS1, some P3p.

I still think that a reworked system like this could be an amazing PlayStation Classic. With a stock of PSONE and PSP games, but also able to connect to the PSN for more games!

BHK3

Banned
There's still no way to downgrade firmware. Plus you would have needed your digital games on your card already if you decided to never update your firmware, since you cant go online on older firmware, meaning you cant download anything. I recently got a vita and was excited to get a vita tv as well but saw the things a paperweight essentially. Can't play any of the games that I hate playing on the handheld such as sfxt.

Stefarno

MGS Peace Walker doesn't but I'm pretty sure Portable Ops and PO Plus do.

Quite a few FF games should...

I've only tested FF Tactics myself (and Tactics Ogre.... my PS TV is basically my FFT/TO box), but the official PS Store list of comptabile PSTV games includes quite a few FFs.

It says FF III and IV from Vita work, and FF V-IX from PSOne classics do. Even the FF X/X-2 HD Vita version is said to work.

There is a different list in Europe - with things like Danganronpa 1 and Ys: Memories of Celceta not working - but that Google Doc is just totally wrong.

The compatibility is about 95% the same in the US and Europe.

Kysen

I just retired mine today (finished off last vita games). Shocking that you paid so much for one when it is a dead platform. I bought mine for £20 at cex. Totally wasted opportunity by sony, forcing a whitelist on software was such a dumb move.

Zee-Row

Banned
It pisses me off how much restrictions this has for playing games. I just wanna play Dracula X chronicles on my TV.

I had a PSTV for a couple of months. I enjoyed playing psp and vita games on the TV but the Sony store was infuriating. Sony does a garbage job on the vita store already but the pstv store is an insult. What was the point of releasing a device only to forget about it 2 seconds later.

MRORANGE

Is it any good for streaming PS4 games?

I want to stream like I do with my steambox using Ethernet

How is it? Only reason why I want it.

Phu

Banned
There's still no way to downgrade firmware. Plus you would have needed your digital games on your card already if you decided to never update your firmware, since you cant go online on older firmware, meaning you cant download anything. I recently got a vita and was excited to get a vita tv as well but saw the things a paperweight essentially. Can't play any of the games that I hate playing on the handheld such as sfxt.
lol no way.

It's too light to be a paperweight.

It actually works pretty well for playing most PSP and non-touch Vita games on the TV. It's a niche device for sure though, it's good if you can get it for $20-30 and want to play some of the Vita titles that support it. It's a supplementary device or a cheap way to play a few Vita exclusives

khaaan

I bought one and had it below 3.60 for a little while (it might actually still be, not sure) but it basically needed another memory card to be useful. Popping the card out of my Vita and into the PSTV was not a good solution, and the handful of physical titles I have aren't worthwhile enough to hook it up.

Nategc20

Banned
Sony is really fucking terrible with the PlayStation brand. Besides the mainline consoles, every other endeavor was absolutely a disaster and they don't get any shit for it. Weird.

There are a lot of PSP games that one would expect to work but do not (MGS:pW for example) but I've never had any problems with playing most PSP games and all of the PSOne games I've tried on it. I have the US model so I don't know if the European version is ranked. I've played FFVII and FFIX with no problems.

I also think I remember that several PAP and Vita games listed as not working actually do work because they had been patched by the owning company to allow it to work.

PSP and Vita games have to be updated by their owning company to work and many Vita games won't work due to requiring a touchscreen but I believe all PSOne games should work.

Top Bottom