• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sophia Narwitz: Gaming journalism insider outs 'clique' that does not tolerate right leaning newcomers

Banned
Have you ever actually seen a thread about climate change on GAF? You just dissed so many people here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

well if you wander off of the gaming tab on neogaf you will come across more nutjobs than on the gaming threads, so he might rightfully avoided these :messenger_tears_of_joy:

because, sorry but you have to be a delusional conspiracy theorist to not believe in climate change... because those people literally have to believe that almost every scientist on earth is part of a gigantic conspiracy and then have to come up with some sort of stupid idea as to why they're doing that... which usually results in hilarious bullshit comparable to the cringiest niche conspiracy videos on youtube

KingT731

We need a reaction video where he meets Colion Noir, one of the most prominent Second Amendment advocates in the US.

See with guys like this I think people misunderstand that you can be both pro 2nd amendment as well as pro sensible gun control....And I say that as a black gun owner.

Last edited:

Vanitymachine

Neo Member
well if you wander off of the gaming tab on neogaf you will come across more nutjobs than on the gaming threads, so he might rightfully avoided these :messenger_tears_of_joy:

because, sorry but you have to be a delusional conspiracy theorist to not believe in climate change... because those people literally have to believe that almost every scientist on earth is part of a gigantic conspiracy and then have to come up with some sort of stupid idea as to why they're doing that... which usually results in hilarious bullshit comparable to the cringiest niche conspiracy videos on youtube
The opinion that many others, myself included, have that has gotten me labeled as an alt right anti science Nazi is that there is no such thing as “settled” science.

The moment I hear that phrase, I immediately know that I am being sold a false narrative. Watching giant Corps like Google trying to ban videos that contradict the climate narrative, and seeing actual scientists blacklisted and losing their jobs for refuting it, not to mention the carbon credit Ponzi scheme that serves to make some people very rich, makes me extremely skeptical about the veracity of the prevailing narrative.

Actual science is never settled and always must be open to scrutiny and debate.

The opinion that many others, myself included, have that has gotten me labeled as an alt right anti science Nazi is that there is no such thing as “settled” science.

The moment I hear that phrase, I immediately know that I am being sold a false narrative. Watching giant Corps like Google trying to ban videos that contradict the climate narrative, and seeing actual scientists blacklisted and losing their jobs for refuting it, not to mention the carbon credit Ponzi scheme that serves to make some people very rich, makes me extremely skeptical about the veracity of the prevailing narrative.

I agree to an extent. Scientific 'facts' have been disproven by future generations of scientists many times. Seems naive to assume that this generation is infallible.

Vanitymachine

Neo Member
I agree to an extent. Scientific 'facts' have been disproven by future generations of scientists many times. Seems naive to assume that this generation is infallible.
Definitely man. I don’t hold strong feelings towards any climate position. I’m just skeptical, and seeing powerful institutions shut down debate doesn’t make me believe them, it just fuels my skepticism.

Banned

you literally have to ignore all data and basic physics in order to come to the conclusion that climate change is not real... sorry but even wannabe "factual" idiots like crowder need to doctor data sheets in order to fit this narrative.
every other year we get yet another hottest year in recorded history... the weather is getting more and more unpredictable, mountain tops are melting away...

if only scientists from a certain country would push this narrative I would get if people were skeptical, but we are talking scientists from around the world, from countries that are rivaling each other and so on and so forth.

there is no way man made climate change is not real, by its own earth wouldn't heat up at the rate it currently is, and even if we are not 100% sure which factors have the biggest role in this we know for a fact that it's real. the only way this is not the case is if all physicists and climate scientists suddenly didn't know what they're talking about anymore or if they are somehow part of a globe spanning conspiracy... there is no other explanation.

you can't just say "science is never settled" when we are talking about very easily observable data and pretty basic physics. this is not M-Theory or LQG, this is observation and basic physics

ExpandKong

Banned
you literally have to ignore all data and basic physics in order to come to the conclusion that climate change is not real... sorry but even wannabe "factual" idiots like crowder need to doctor data sheets in order to fit this narrative.
every other year we get yet another hottest year in recorded history... the weather is getting more and more unpredictable, mountain tops are melting away...

if only scientists from a certain country would push this narrative I would get if people were skeptical, but we are talking scientists from around the world, from countries that are rivaling each other and so on and so forth.

there is no way man made climate change is not real, by its own earth wouldn't heat up at the rate it currently is, and even if we are not 100% sure which factors have the biggest role in this we know for a fact that it's real. the only way this is not the case is if all physicists and climate scientists suddenly didn't know what they're talking about anymore or if they are somehow part of a globe spanning conspiracy... there is no other explanation.

you can't just say "science is never settled" when we are talking about very easily observable data and pretty basic physics. this is not M-Theory or LQG, this is observation and basic physics

How many scientists worldwide were in agreement that the Earth was flat, or that the sun revolved around it, in the past?

Not saying I'm a climate change denier or anything, just saying nobody's gonna get anywhere by blackballing dissenting opinions.

I'm personally not gonna give a shit about the human factor of climate change until the world finally finds its balls and actually gets after China to do something about their massive contribution to it. They're driving the bus straight off a cliff and I'm sitting in the back sorting my glass bottles and composting leftover food.

Last edited:

MaxB

Banned
Definitely man. I don’t hold strong feelings towards any climate position. I’m just skeptical, and seeing powerful institutions shut down debate doesn’t make me believe them, it just fuels my skepticism.

The problem is, widespread "skepticism" feeds into the idea nothing needs to be done at this time, until men much smarter than us are able to ascertain just why the temperatures across the globe continue to inch upward. Seems more like a delay tactic than an honest question of the legitimacy behind arguments that our planet is experiencing industry induced global warming.

MaxB

Banned
User reply banned from thread for ongoing derail.

Honestly, I didn't know that this place would be frequented by so many far right members. Terms like "soy boy," "NPC," "Woke" and "SJW" are used unironically, with a frequency that suggests these views aren't just tolerated, but encouraged. This place is said to foster open discussion of all viewpoints, so that's to be expected, I guess.

Tech, mainstream media, entertainment and academia all seem to discriminate against conservatives. It's become accepted.

In fact, I doubt even being moderate is looked upon nicely in those fields.

At least when it comes to video games journalism (I still laugh when I hear that nowadays) it is a dying field it seems probably thanks to Youtube influencers who many seem to be moderate liberals or in-betweeners.

Video games are still in their infancy though and there's a lot of growing up in needs, particularly in the industry itself. It's leading the way to simulated reality before the end of the decade so we need more maturity to ensure everyone can enjoy it. Movie theaters will be a thing of the past by 2099.

Gaming journalism was replaced by Youtubers and that demographic is less political when it comes to games.

I would be concerned about ideological/political hegemony in game design and game making. Political leanings and the intensity of them reflect personality traits. A very left leaning group won't respond to consumer criticism well. They will respond to "representation" complaints, but not so much the actual game design complaints. See what happened with ArenaNet and their social justice dev going scorched earth over a tame/moderate fan response.

Last edited:

Xenon

No..... This is their video Review with the word review in it

Maybe the written review was different but this video is STILL a review.

Oh man why did I watch this. I'm not sure what's worse this guys take or his use of the English language. It's not so much a review as it is how to conflate something to be offensive. The context in which he's trying to imply in this game's use of thr word savage is not even relevant. Yet this dude has the balls to say that the term was used against people like him. News flash hotshot, look up the origin of your name Mr. Tamayo. Then do a little research of their history, ya dumbass hypocrite.

Last edited:
Oh man why did I watch this. I'm not sure what's worse this guys take or his use of the English language. It's not so much a review as it is how to conflate something to be offensive. The context in which he's trying to imply in this game's use of thr word savage is not even relevant. Yet this dude has the balls to say that the term was used against people like him. News flash hotshot, look up the origin of your name Mr. Tamayo. Then do a little research of their history, ya dumbass hypocrite.
I couldn't finish it. Too much self fellating.

All I could think of was, congratulations dude, you took some history classes in college. Just a stupid skinny flex

"Utter nonsense, also please buy my BoOk"

PhZvp6H.jpg
The technique Jason is employing here is called gaslighting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How many scientists worldwide were in agreement that the Earth was flat, or that the sun revolved around it, in the past?

Not saying I'm a climate change denier or anything, just saying nobody's gonna get anywhere by blackballing dissenting opinions.

I'm personally not gonna give a shit about the human factor of climate change until the world finally finds its balls and actually gets after China to do something about their massive contribution to it. They're driving the bus straight off a cliff and I'm sitting in the back sorting my glass bottles and composting leftover food.

cUTZ8RM.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The most vocal and watched propagandist in popular media is a mouthpiece for the thug in the White House and his sycophants. What are you even talking about?

What the fuck are you on about?

Notice my post specifies that I'm talking about the games enthusiast press, it being the thread topic after all.

Simply put, i was stating that in my opinion: You are what you do. Not what you say you stand for.

So if you act like an autocrat, it doesn't really matter which stripe you are politically, you are still a wannabe tyrant and thusly can go fuck yourself.
That's my point.

Jason Schreier has basically confirmed what Sophia Narwitz has reported. He can't name a single right-leaning employee at his organization, and he has blocked anyone who has challenged him on this issue. He could have shut this entire debate down in 20 seconds if he was right about this being "conspiracy theory nonsense." Instead, he ran back to the safety of his bubble. Obviously, the guy is too unhinged to deal with the real world.
And what's sad is that this is the exact type of challenge that could showcase how respectable and upstanding he can be with a simple challenge rather than hiding. Of course he doesn't have to do anything but when you're "the guy" for gaming news and sources, you'd think this would be something he'd easily end the challenge.

Not that I support any of this, but if you visit any of these sites it's fairly obvious that this is the case. It'd be one thing if we were talking about sites that present themselves as apolitical but that's not really the case with Kotaku/Polygon/Eurogamer, etc.
I doubt it would be much different on an openly right wing videogame publication.

What we need is not more right wing or left wing writers, it's more gaming sites with no politics. Reading a good article from a good journalist on a good gaming site (which doesn't exist) I shouldn't really be able to tell what the political views of the writer are, because those views should be irrelevant to what he/she is writing.
I've found through articles and podcasts that gameinformer do is probably the most neutral writing in games journalism (and now some old GI peeps at MinnMax too). These people stay on topic about games, keep cursing and politics at a minimum, and because of this I take them seriously. No matter what they believe I get the sense that they know its still a job and bring these topics up when it's appropriate and give it time to be discussed.

Last edited:
I totally believe this. Iv talked to a few people from these so called gameing journalism companies and they are left leaning and not like good left leaning. I can see people at IGN being members of antifa and attaching people. They are just all weak sad people. i dont care what anyones political views are. I love ryan Mcaffreys stuff but I know I wouldn't like that guy on a personal level., and that doesnt matter. It would be nice to have people who are in these companies who arnt going to be offended by everything and more righ leaning or center even. Jason Scher also just seems like a sad human being who thinks hes better than you but constantly says he doesnt think that way. but all this is just my opinion.
I like Ryan at ign too. He loves his job, his baseball, his tesla and his life, I have the utmost respect for people like that. He is just refreshing to see online when there's so much negativity and conspiracy and anger and hurt.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What the fuck are you on about?

Notice my post specifies that I'm talking about the games enthusiast press, it being the thread topic after all.

Simply put, i was stating that in my opinion: You are what you do. Not what you say you stand for.

So if you act like an autocrat, it doesn't really matter which stripe you are politically, you are still a wannabe tyrant and thusly can go fuck yourself.
That's my point.

You’re just not on the “right side of the CULTural dogma ideology” there, mate.

Last edited:

Daring7

Neo Member
I just want to play games. I don’t care if you’re left or right. It makes no difference.

I skip past most political threads (apart from this one, apparently) on here or other gaming sites because I just do not care, and it’s usually a massive rabbit hole that I cannot be arsed to sift through.

I want to be entertained by the games media not informed on anything. There are plenty of other outlets for that.

Last edited:
If no conservative writers exist on Kotaku, that is not necessarily indicative of a specific policy for hiring. It stands to question how many conservative writers would want to write for Kotaku. When a publication has a clear political leaning, then it does not require any discriminatory effort on the side of the HR department to have a staff that does not contain people who are (openly) opposing the politicial leaning of the website.
This scenario is already a South Park episode (or most episodes) where cartman forces their hand. First one that comes to mind is the trans episode where cartman wants to use the women's bathroom. It's funny because you're right, most people don't want to work there. Don't want to force their hand, cartman doesn't care though.

Geki-D

Banned
Stuff like posting "I'm voting Trump because X" on Twitter. Anything that publicly shows that they subscribe to conservative values the most. No matter if it's about guns, Trump, Immigration, Christianity, taxes, societal beliefs, whatever.
Oh, so Sophia expects the people she's asked to know the personal positions of every writer at these "major gaming publications" (as she says), and when they've Tweeted something in regards to them, then throw them into the spotlight just to prove a point ...Yeah, that sounds realistic... :pie_eyeroll:

Which is why Schreier was quick to accuse YongYea's audience as alt-right/antisemites and claimed that it was his fault. Anyone who actually watches YongYea's content will know that he does not instill his personal politics in his videos.

As someone who semi-regularly watches Yongyea's output, Schreier's accusation was hilarious. He expects, or expected, people to take it at face value without giving it any critical consideration. Selectively picking apart a few bad, outlying Youtube comments and painting his entire audience with a broad stroke was absolutely asinine. It was so absurd I have no idea how he thought that was a logical conclusion.

I just want one name:

These people will keep skirting around the question. They'll keep trying to ridicule the credibility behind it because thats all they got. Their only choice is to deny it untill it vanishes from public awareness.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Oh, so Sophia expects the people she's asked to know the personal positions of every writer at these "major gaming publications" (as she says), and when they've Tweeted something in regards to them, then throw them into the spotlight just to prove a point ...Yeah, that sounds realistic... :pie_eyeroll:
Those major gaming publications aren't huge. They don't have thousands of people working there. I agree that it is unrealistic to expect them to know many/all of them personally, but you don't need to know someone personally to know that there are some. If putting someone into the spotlight is inadequate, then pointing to one of the bigger publications and stating that there are a couple working there would suffice, no? Research of the people working there would be up to Sophia Narwitz, then.

I do believe that the lack of right leaning people at those publications is not evidence for some kind of conspiracy (after all, why wouldn't companies be allowed to only hire people they seem fit?), but judging by how many of the extreme left treat others that don't subscribe to their beliefs, I find it personally believable that a 'conspiracy' of sorts exists, in this case meaning that influence is being exerted beyond their own companies by means of peer pressure.
If you take a look at how Colin Moriarty was treated for a simple joke, how the extremist left thinks it's great to cancel people and deplatform them over small things and how Colin actually got his panel cancelled without a reason given at some larger event, it's not unimaginable that certain people in the gaming media try their best to deplatform those they deem unfit.

Doczu

As someone who semi-regularly watches Yongyea's output, Schreier's accusation was hilarious. He expects, or expected, people to take it at face value without giving it any critical consideration. Selectively picking apart a few bad, outlying Youtube comments and painting his entire audience with a broad stroke was absolutely asinine. It was so absurd I have no idea how he thought that was a logical conclusion.

These people will keep skirting around the question. They'll keep trying to ridicule the credibility behind it because thats all they got. Their only choice is to deny it untill it vanishes from public awareness.
You know what? I can't wait for them to find their token right-wing gaming journalist so that they can say "See?! We.have a right-winger as a friend so now fuck off i can say what i want about you right wingers! My right wing buddy isn't so sensitive like you guys are! Grow some skin!"

They can't name a single one off hand because it's true and it's a damning to their industry. For all their talk of inclusivity, they blacklist and tear apart anyone that doesn't share their exact socio-political outlook. You have to be lockstep with them to get anywhere in gaming journalism and to be taken seriously. They don't just reject unabashed racists and neo nazis (which, make no mistakes, should be rejected) but anyone right of their own leanings and a good portion of the entire political spectrum. That's some inclusivity, isn't it? Fucking hypocrites, all of them. They just want control. That's it. They are authoritarians and gate keepers.

Last edited:
You know what? I can't wait for them to find their token right-wing gaming journalist so that they can say "See?! We.have a right-winger as a friend so now fuck off i can say what i want about you right wingers! My right wing buddy isn't so sensitive like you guys are! Grow some skin!"

Quite frankly I'm not here to express a political opinion. Normally, I stay miles away from topics like these. I couldn't care less if you're left or right. I detest that this is what the gaming landscape has been reduced to. It tires me. Politics today just divide people. Its generated such unparalleled tension between everyone in this industry, the media, and, community. All I ask for is unbiased, truthful, ethical coverage and reportage with integrity and without injecting agendas into it. The fact that I have to ask for it makes me feel ill.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Quite frankly I'm not here to express a political opinion. Normally, I stay miles away from topics like these. I couldn't care less if you're left or right. I detest that this is what the gaming landscape has been reduced to. It tires me. Politics today just divide people. Its generated such unparalleled tension between everyone in this industry, the media, and, community. All I ask for is unbiased, truthful, ethical coverage and reportage with integrity and without injecting agendas into it. The fact that I have to ask for it makes me feel ill.

why are you such a bigot

Top Bottom