• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Sophia Narwitz: Trans activists have become their own worst enemies

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
IIRC this is the trans woman who was dog piled and banned at Ree. I’m surprised she’s not a NeoGAFer.

She’s now a columnist for RT. This is the article corresponding to the video.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
IIRC this is the trans woman who was dog piled and banned at Ree. I’m surprised she’s not a NeoGAFer.

She’s now a columnist for RT. This is the article corresponding to the video.

She is a gaf member actually. sophnar0747 sophnar0747

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
That is the foundation of most far-left propaganda. Take an extreme stance on a taboo topic that you know the majority of society simply won't agree with. Then that other side is "hateful" and you need protection. Then it just so happens a politician magically comes by and offers protection.

But damn, do the trans activists nail it better than others. Even their own team is like wtf?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
When a movement doesn't police their own, these are the results. The particulars of the ideology only flavor the output, at most. What makes the trans activism so self-destructive is they are bolstered by powerful delusions to help them deny reality. They charge further and further into delusional territory, detaching from the real world around them. When you can deny reality yet still function as an adult, that's going to leak into other areas of your life. The psychological ledger must be balanced eventually.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
That is the foundation of most far-left propaganda. Take an extreme stance on a taboo topic that you know the majority of society simply won't agree with. Then that other side is "hateful" and you need protection. Then it just so happens a politician magically comes by and offers protection.

But damn, do the trans activists nail it better than others. Even their own team is like wtf?
It’s a form of Motte and Bailey argument and it’s hardly exclusive to the left

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
If only the provider that hosted them did the same.
No way! I want them to stay online for as long as possible to put their cult ideology on full display, documented post-by-post, so that the game industry never has to succumb to these zealots ever again. Plus, there's value to "quarantine boards" that keep the crazy contained to an echo chamber.

Alas, my desire for an eternal ERA clownshow will not be satisfied, I already know this. The implosion of their ideology -- and therefore their "gaming" website -- is already in progress. It's only a matter of time. When that site collapses, the GAF experience will be affected by the influx of shriekers. Hopefully they'll be counterbalanced by an influx of sane ex-ERA users who realize what was going on within that forum.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
So you agree it's bad, or are you just doing the Sony Too™ thing on politics board again?
I agree it's bad. I think it's a mischaracterization to call it the foundation of far-left propaganda when it's pretty foundational to getting people to believe all extreme ideologies. Also I agree with Sophia, though writing for RT is a head scratcher.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I agree it's bad. I think it's a mischaracterization to call it the foundation of far-left propaganda when it's pretty foundational to getting people to believe all extreme ideologies. Also I agree with Sophia, though writing for RT is a head scratcher.
The Russian thing?

Goodness, has the Left forgotten the ability to apply skepticism and curiosity at the same time? It has always been the expectation that one is responsible to parse truth from fiction no matter the source.

They're probably among the only outlets that will "normalize" and "provide a platform for" Sophia's counterculture viewpoints on trans activism.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
The Russian thing?

Goodness, has the Left forgotten the ability to apply skepticism and curiosity at the same time? It has always been the expectation that one is responsible to parse truth from fiction no matter the source.

They're probably among the only outlets that will "normalize" and "provide a platform for" Sophia's counterculture viewpoints on trans activism.
Skepticism of Russia is hardly a feature the left has been known for up until Red Don got in bed with them. I seem to recall Obama mocking Romney for calling Russia our greatest geopolitical foe. I am skeptical of anything coming from their state-run propaganda outlets. Also, I'm not "the left."

Reactions: VanEs

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Skepticism of Russia is hardly a feature the left has been known for up until Red Don got in bed with them. I seem to recall Obama mocking Romney for calling Russia our greatest geopolitical foe. I am skeptical of anything coming from their state-run propaganda outlets. Also, I'm not "the left."
Oh right, you're an "independent". Wink emoji.

And I'm referring to the news org RT, I'm not trying to conflate it with the overall geopolitical Russia hysteria from the Left. It's nice that you blame Trump for the Left's modern hysteria instead of... you know... the Democrats who pushed the lie and the media who went along with it. It's not like Trump painted himself as a Russian agent, but we're getting off topic.

RT is a modern news source like anyone else. Should I stop trusting the BBC because it's British. I mean, those britons are coming up with some crazy propaganda articles over there too, so do I completely discount them too? Should I stop trusting the Washington Post because it's American? They're being sued for slander (oh, remember when being sued was used as a checkmark against Trump?) and have been caught publishing fake news, forcing numerous retractions and corrections in the past several years.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
Oh right, you're an "independent". Wink emoji.

And I'm referring to the news org RT, I'm not trying to conflate it with the overall geopolitical Russia hysteria from the Left. It's nice that you blame Trump for the Left's modern hysteria instead of... you know... the Democrats who pushed the lie and the media who went along with it. It's not like Trump painted himself as a Russian agent, but we're getting off topic.

RT is a modern news source like anyone else. Should I stop trusting the BBC because it's British. I mean, those britons are coming up with some crazy propaganda articles over there too, so do I completely discount them too? Should I stop trusting the Washington Post because it's American? They're being sued for slander (oh, remember when being sued was used as a checkmark against Trump?) and have been caught publishing fake news, forcing numerous retractions and corrections in the past several years.
Oh god, if you can't parse out the difference between the BBC and RT and think anyone who thinks Trump is a sack of shit is "the left" then I don't know what to tell you except I don't have time to go through each point of your bullshit line by line and explain why it's stupid.

Anyway, Sophia's not wrong.

Reactions: VanEs

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
It’s a form of Motte and Bailey argument and it’s hardly exclusive to the left
While not exclusive, the extremity is. You don't see them men dancing in the street in pink underwear to show everyone how gay you can be. The right's extreme views include being a legal citizen, protecting unborn babies. and traditional marriage. Not that everyone has to agree with those views (as I don't on all of them), but far less absurd than what you see on the left.

Thaedolus

Jun 9, 2004
While not exclusive, the extremity is. You don't see them men dancing in the street in pink underwear to show everyone how gay you can be. The right's extreme views include being a legal citizen, protecting unborn babies. and traditional marriage. Not that everyone has to agree with those views (as I don't on all of them), but far less absurd than what you see on the left.
There's a lot in here I would disagree with and the point was the rhetorical technique (Motte and Bailey) is used all over the place, but I'm feeling like I've already derailed the thread so my bad, back to Sophia's video.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Watched this vid over the weekend, and have to say I agree with her. Made some great points.

Trans people need to take back their movement before the backlash gets too bad. I feel bad for the normal every day folk who just want to live a normal life having these activist ruining it for them and pushing people against Trans.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Excellent article. I hope about 330 million people read it in the US, and actually think about the message instead of attacking the author.

Reactions: Ailynn and haxan7

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Watched this vid over the weekend, and have to say I agree with her. Made some great points.

Trans people need to take back their movement before the backlash gets too bad. I feel bad for the normal every day folk who just want to live a normal life having these activist ruining it for them and pushing people against Trans.
The LGBT have kicked out the T and made the LGB Alliance. The Alliance have basically said, go fight your battles, we have other things to worry about. This is just another form of new wave feminism.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
I hate dumping on trans people because they do have it rough but there is a certain community of trans activism that has made it frustrating to engage with the subject. It's like walking on hot coals dealing with them.
I've dealt with this even as a trans woman myself, and I'm sorry to see that Sophia ( sophnar0747 sophnar0747 ) has as well.

I've actually had someone who wasn't even trans yell at me over a Facebook direct message about how calling myself a transsexual was disgusting and transphobic. Another person scolded me for once typing "transwoman" without a space in between both words. Several others became furious at me because of my Christian faith.

Many of these people seem to scour the internet for the smallest things to throw a fuss about. It's all just so completely exhausting. :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
It seems as if non trans people get more outraged about innocuous bullshit than actual trans people.

Or, non trans people are the ones who convince impressionable trans people that they should be outraged and offended about wacky shit.

I don't know any trans people in real life, but every time I've seen or talked to a trans person online, they seem to agree that a lot of this rhetoric being pushed is garbage and hurting their cause.

Oddly, most of the outrage culture bullshit about anything, whether it be trans issues or something else entirely, always comes from well to do left leaning white people who hate themselves.

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
UK
Great video, and it's good to see more people who are trans themselves calling out the weird and self sabotaging bollocks extreme left wing gender activists have been espousing in recent years.

There just seems to be this ever accelerating need for victimhood to drive these weird globalist and social engineering political ideologies, that has latched onto the trans community in recent years.

As someone that has always been quite active in support of LGBT equality, for about 20 years infact, it's just unsettling how suddenly the movement seems to have been co-opted by groups that want to weaponise and twist innate human characteristics and use them as bludgeoning tools or shields for completely unrelated political goals.

Arimer

Feb 16, 2018
Some of you might be interested in this video Where he interviews a gay author that talks about how every political movement has extremists and lately the movements haven't been handling the extremists. or the aftermath after they've won. To the point where winning equality isn't enough you have to now make your position the better one. Example being gay is better than straight, black is better than white and so on. He touches on trans issues in this in the same way Sophia does with her video.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

Rock And Roll

Sep 28, 2014
Great video sophnar0747 sophnar0747

I have friends in the community who share the same fears/concerns you do. It's very easy to see the hate on the internet and believe it is the norm, but I truly want to believe that the majority of the community does not agree with the bullying tactics and radical extremism that has overtaken the movement. I feel like people are afraid to speak out because of cancel culture/internet hate mobs etc... But I hope that videos and articles like your encourage others to speak freely.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Great video sophnar0747 sophnar0747

I have friends in the community who share the same fears/concerns you do. It's very easy to see the hate on the internet and believe it is the norm, but I truly want to believe that the majority of the community does not agree with the bullying tactics and radical extremism that has overtaken the movement. I feel like people are afraid to speak out because of cancel culture/internet hate mobs etc... But I hope that videos and articles like your encourage others to speak freely.
You don't feel that people are afraid to speak out --> you know it for a fact. Not all, but many. That said, with articles like this being published, and people getting more vocal about the activists not speaking for everyone, I like the chances of society starting to come together more to talk and walk at the same time (in the context of promoting tolerance and respect).

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
It's really getting quite crazy.

Imagine if the gay rights movement started out not by advocating that their relationships deserved equal rights under the law, but they instead demanded that the definition of what it meant to be "straight" or heterosexual were changed to include homosexuality and shouted down anyone who disagreed. To me, that's basically what's going on right now on the more extreme ends of the left. Demanding that people must not differentiate between transgender and cisgender and claiming that doing so is actually discriminatory behavior that threatens the lives of transgender people.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Imagine if the gay rights movement started out not by advocating that their relationships deserved equal rights under the law, but they instead demanded that the definition of what it meant to be "straight" or heterosexual were changed to include homosexuality and shouted down anyone who disagreed. To me, that's basically what's going on right now on the more extreme ends of the left. Demanding that people must not differentiate between transgender and cisgender and claiming that doing so is actually discriminatory behavior that threatens the lives of transgender people.
How many twitter trannies have you literally murdered today? Be honest.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Imagine gays said that supermarkets had to change the word "fruit aisle" because it triggers them since Fruits is a slur against gays. Or that you needed to avoid saying drive in a straight line because it implies gays can't drive.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
How many twitter trannies have you literally murdered today? Be honest.
You just literally murdered me right then with your poor choice of words, sir. I hope you are proud of yourself and the violence you just displayed!

(Seriously though...despite experiences in my past, I no longer let certain words have power over my emotions. I actually have you to thank for finally helping me get there.) :)

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
You just literally murdered me right then with your poor choice of words, sir. I hope you are proud of yourself.

(Seriously though...despite experiences in my past, I no longer let certain words have power over my emotions. I actually have you to thank for finally helping me get there.) :)
Just like Dave Chappelle ain’t a n****r (his own words), you ain’t a tranny. It’s a self-determined state of mind.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
This community policing itself seems to be our only hope. Before Milo went off the rails and became a self-obsessed clown, he was just a smart gay man who was good at debating. And he got to make good points and not get instantly dismissed because he was gay.

I'm waiting for the first trans "Milo" to start making aggressively sensible points on TV news interviews and debates - someone that's got a history with debate, public speaking, and is really quick in interviews.