• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Sophia Narwitz: Trans activists have become their own worst enemies

CurryPanda

Will restrain his sexual perversions
Mar 4, 2019
I've dealt with this even as a trans woman myself, and I'm sorry to see that Sophia (@sophnar0747) has as well.

I've actually had someone who wasn't even trans yell at me over a Facebook direct message about how calling myself a transsexual was disgusting and transphobic. Another person scolded me for once typing "transwoman" without a space in between both words. Several others became furious at me because of my Christian faith.

Many of these people seem to scour the internet for the smallest things to throw a fuss about. It's all just so completely exhausting. :messenger_pensive:
I’m sorry you had to deal with all that. You’re amazing, and never forget it! ❤

jolof96

Aug 3, 2017
I've dealt with this even as a trans woman myself, and I'm sorry to see that Sophia (@sophnar0747) has as well.

I've actually had someone who wasn't even trans yell at me over a Facebook direct message about how calling myself a transsexual was disgusting and transphobic. Another person scolded me for once typing "transwoman" without a space in between both words. Several others became furious at me because of my Christian faith.

Many of these people seem to scour the internet for the smallest things to throw a fuss about. It's all just so completely exhausting. :messenger_pensive:

People are just horrid and unfortunately social media just gives them a platform and keyboard to hide behind.

just keeping being you and ignore them... easier said than done I know but fuck em

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ailynn
Dec 15, 2011
(Seriously though...despite experiences in my past, I no longer let certain words have power over my emotions...
I think this is a detail that is very significant.

Words are intrinsically benign.
It is up to the individual as to how much power they hold.
I always like to demonstrate this with the following hypothetical:
Think of someone insulting you over the internet. Writing the most personal, traumatising, hurtful, despicable stuff that is targeted directly at you.

Imagine how offended you might be.
Now imagine how offended you might be if those same words were written in a language you didn't understand.
It takes someone with some willpower, discipline and responsibility to acknowledge their own role in that dynamic.

It seems, for many, the appeal of being a victim, with no agency, is easier. And, increasingly, today's world panders to that victimhood rather than asserting the agency that everyone has in them.

Ailynn stepped up, took control and appears to be in a better position for it.
I imagine that's a considerably harder task than doing nothing and accepting the role of being powerless.

I strongly believe the effort is worthwhile. And can have a snowball effect - leading to more agency, more control, stronger confidence.

(And it doesn't involve getting in anyone's face either. Which is a plus.)

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
I’m sorry you had to deal with all that. You’re amazing, and never forget it! ❤
Thank you so much! You are so sweet! 🤗 💖

Just keeping being you and ignore them... easier said than done I know but fuck em
Thank you so much! It's taken me about 20 years, but I'm getting there! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I think this is a detail that is very significant.

Words are intrinsically benign.
It is up to the individual as to how much power they hold.
I always like to demonstrate this with the following hypothetical:
Think of someone insulting you over the internet. Writing the most personal, traumatising, hurtful, despicable stuff that is targeted directly at you.

Imagine how offended you might be.
Now imagine how offended you might be if those same words were written in a language you didn't understand.
It takes someone with some willpower, discipline and responsibility to acknowledge their own role in that dynamic.

It seems, for many, the appeal of being a victim, with no agency, is easier. And, increasingly, today's world panders to that victimhood rather than asserting the agency that everyone has in them.

Ailynn stepped up, took control and appears to be in a better position for it.
I imagine that's a considerably harder task than doing nothing and accepting the role of being powerless.

I strongly believe the effort is worthwhile. And can have a snowball effect - leading to more agency, more control, stronger confidence.

(And it doesn't involve getting in anyone's face either. Which is a plus.)
Thank you so very much for this incredibly thoughtful message! I absolutely agree...and from my own experience, I have already started feeling better and more confident again after finally accepting this mentality.

Feeling like a victim...be it the hand I was dealt with my birth abnormalities leading me to be trans, the bullying I faced in school, etc....is a completely exhausting state of being. It's embarrassing that it took me until my early 40's to finally rise above everything, but I'm thankful to God I'm still here and looking forward to where life takes me...hoping to help others wherever I can along my way. :messenger_heart:

Stiflers Mom

Apr 27, 2012

Well, fuck those idiots.
And always great to see and hear about reasonable trans people.
May they all find this place and feel welcome.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018

I hope that the difference in how people respond to you vs how they respond to trans activists gives you some hope that your place on the right side of history will bear fruit. None of us can imagine how hard it can be to deal with the shit you deal with, and yet trans people are vital to healing the rifts that have been created due to having been on both sides of the gender fence as far as is humanly possible. It's trans people who can best heal the rift between men and women, trans people like you, not the activists.