• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, but DriveClub isn't good. At all.

60 fps is always preferable in every game, but DC is fine at 30 fps, so is Forza Horizon.

Gameplay and controls are fine tuned for that target fps (at least in the good ones), so the '30 fps sucks for racing games' is really a lie you are telling yourselves for whatever reason.

You dont need inhuman precision and reflexes to beat DC or FH.

30FPS seems to work for games like DC and FH, but that comment is just me talking from generally playing arcade racers which are almost always 60FPS. To someone who's experienced a lot of those kind of racers, 60 just feels smoother and fluid, especially in competitive play.

That said I don't think 30FPS racers are unplayable; some of the Project Gotham racers last gen on 360 were 30 IIRC and I had fun playing those.

TheMan

I never ever got used to the handling. I’m not shitting on arcade physics cause games like forza horizon and project Gotham 2 are amazing. They went for some odd hybrid that just felt off all the time. That said, I do wish they had been able to pull off the whole driving community/club concept. The game held a lot of promise before launch, especially with the ps plus version which would have expanded the audience significantly. I just don’t understand how they botched the latter launch so horribly.

Whitecrow

Banned
I never ever got used to the handling. I’m not shitting on arcade physics cause games like forza horizon and project Gotham 2 are amazing. They went for some odd hybrid that just felt off all the time. That said, I do wish they had been able to pull off the whole driving community/club concept. The game held a lot of promise before launch, especially with the ps plus version which would have expanded the audience significantly. I just don’t understand how they botched the latter launch so horribly.
The network engineer/programmer messed up everything with the broken online functionality. Online code had to be rewritten. And a year after launch, the online was working kinda fine. But all damage had been done already.

And thats true, if the game online worked as it was expected, DC could have been something big, but well... shit happens : (

Three

I'm not apologising for sharing my opinion, but feel bad for those many people who actually enjoy the game and have expressed their enjoyment on this very forum. I was once myself a champion of this game also, espousing it's great visuals and gameplay, but upon closer inspection, I realise it's just not a good game.

I would say it's a technically and objectively bad game. I guess maybe it was my allegiance to Sony that made me give it more credit than it was due at the time.
The fun of the game was all in setting good times and scores. For many people that's a bit sterile and they prefer some other type of excitement. The game was not technically and objectively bad it just was lacking life/excitement that wasn't purely taking a corner well.

Reactions: CJY

Wonko_C

60fps Driveclub VR is so much better than 30fps version, I regret taking until last year to buy it just because of the bad taste left by DC flat.

I agree with OP. I played it for an hour and it was kinda bad... I've played GTS, FH3 and Forza 6 before it, though. I was actually pretty hyped about it when I bought my Pro then very disappointed... it didn't age well.

I wanted to give it another shot someday but then the announcement of the Servers shutting down came out...

joe_zazen

The network engineer/programmer messed up everything with the broken online functionality. Online code had to be rewritten. And a year after launch, the online was working kinda fine. But all damage had been done already.

And thats true, if the game online worked as it was expected, DC could have been something big, but well... shit happens : (

The shit was sony only giving Evolution enough money for 60 employees. Sony cheap AF. how many does turn 10 have? Playground? And it isnt like things have changed a whole lot, Bend was expected to make a giant open world game with 120.

And even with 60 employees, they made a great game...only to get fired....gaaah

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree, DC is great

Relaxing, awesome looking, full of activities, Bikes are really good, awesome tracks and weather system

God, I'd pay billions for a proper sequel, if only evolution studios didn't close
Agreed!

The sound design is also exhilarating . No racing game has better engine sounds than Driveclub.
I've read the Mercedes and BMW demanded copies from Evolution of the engine sounds for ther own library.

Sense of speed should also be mentioned. Very fast! :messenger_sunglasses:

And loading times are pretty much non existing.

Birdo

Banned
DC and FH4 were the best racing games of this gen.

That isn't an opinion. It's scientific fact. People have done tests and everything.

Portugeezer

draivecloob2yyk9r.gif

Fox Mulder

DC is my favorite arcade racing game this generation. It was fun and challenging going for the medals and completing the campaign. It looked great and sounded amazing. The bikes expansion required me to learn how to race all the courses in a new way. It felt like a new Project Gotham Racing.

I’m just not a fan of the direction Forza Horizon went in, where you didn’t even have to win races anymore and the open world street courses just feel generic and boring.

Last edited:

Fnord

Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread...

I was firmly in the camp of "DriveClub is one of the best looking games of the generation." Until today. I got a new TV over the weekend. 75" X900H. Biggest TV I've ever owned. Stuff looks amazing on it. So I was looking through my library of games and figured I'd throw DC in and see it on the big new TV. Mistake. It's really not that good looking. Running on a PS4 Pro on a 75" screen there are a lot of problems with it visually. It looks more like a Need For Speed game than I remember it looking. It's fun, which is what matters most, but man was I disappointed in the visuals. Lots of bad depth of field blur, lots of low resolution textures on the environments, and no(?) anti-aliasing? I remember it looking so much better than this.

Stuart360

Regardless of the reviews, this and Horizon were the 2 PS4 games i always wanted to play on PC. We are getting Horizon but zero chance of this unfortunately.

Miles708

The negativity in this forum is overwhelming these last days.

Anyway, I agree DC does not have the cleanest image quality, but I do not agree it's not one of the most impressive visually achievement overrall, especially considering it's a launch title, and that everything (lighting, dynamic weather, time of day, volumetric clouds) is done in real time.

Also, the illumination at dusk is absolutely stunning from a purely artistic standpoint.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Regardless of the reviews, this and Horizon were the 2 PS4 games i always wanted to play on PC. We are getting Horizon but zero chance of this unfortunately.
Dirt 5 is made by the same team, they have ended up at Codemasters. I have posted some new previews in the next gen racing thread and you can see the similarities.

turtlepowa

Banned

I was firmly in the camp of "DriveClub is one of the best looking games of the generation." Until today. I got a new TV over the weekend. 75" X900H. Biggest TV I've ever owned. Stuff looks amazing on it. So I was looking through my library of games and figured I'd throw DC in and see it on the big new TV. Mistake. It's really not that good looking. Running on a PS4 Pro on a 75" screen there are a lot of problems with it visually. It looks more like a Need For Speed game than I remember it looking. It's fun, which is what matters most, but man was I disappointed in the visuals. Lots of bad depth of field blur, lots of low resolution textures on the environments, and no(?) anti-aliasing? I remember it looking so much better than this.
Good choice, great tv.

Stuart360

Dirt 5 is made by the same team, they have ended up at Codemasters. I have posted some new previews in the next gen racing thread and you can see the similarities.
I have actually played Driveclub on PS4, but i mean i always wanted to try it on PC to see what it looked like at 60fps, higher rez, possibly better settings etc. The game itself was alright.

LostDonkey

I have actually played Driveclub on PS4, but i mean i always wanted to try it on PC to see what it looked like at 60fps, higher rez, possibly better settings etc. The game itself was alright.
Dirt 5 is built on the Onrush engine, which I believe was a, and pardon the pun, Evolution of Driveclubs engine. It has all the same characteristics.

Last edited:

Puskas

While I agree about the lacking AA, I still stand by my opinion that DC is one of the best looking racers on consoles this generation, no contest.

Though I’m wondering if it will get the BC treatment on the PS5 or just be forgotten like the game never even existed.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

May I ask what were you expecting from a 1080p game in a 75'' screen?

The game had some image quality flaws, but nothing serious, but on a 75'' TV everything is blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

Miles708

While I agree about the lacking AA, I still stand by my opinion that DC is one of the best looking racers on consoles this generation, no contest.

Though I’m wondering if it will get the BC treatment on the PS5 or just be forgotten like the game never even existed.

Looking at how Sony have rushed to expunge every trace of Driveclub's existence from their history, I think it's safe to believe they're totally done with the IP.
Good thing physical media still exists.

El Sueño

There are few people talking of good games, with some problems, as if they were Superman 64. What's going with their mindset? Don't get it, mates.

Dontero

Banned
You don't play arcade games on wheel. Secondly game in VR looks like an ass.
But yes it is not great racing game and i say it as fan of Evolution and Motorstorm series (aside from last one).

Somewhere along the way they focused on graphics instead of gameplay around time between Motorstorm 2 and 3 and it has shown with 3 which was pretty to look at but boring to play. Motorstorm 1 is still my favorite arcade racer along with Wipeout.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Dirt 5 is built on the Onrush engine, which I believe was a, and pardon the pun, Evolution of Driveclubs engine. It has all the same characteristics.
The DriveClub engine remained at Sony. The Codemasters games developed by former Evo staff used a different engine, so it was not an evolution of DriveClub's tech.

Last edited:

GamingArena

With OP's 1,385 posts, I think it's clear we need a 1,500 post limit before thread creation powers.

Why? He is absolutely right, there is no place for any race game with 30FPS no matter how much they polish the turd period!
People don't get it after all this years as you can see from new console announcements "oh graphics is not that impressive etc." the biggest difference is 30fps to 60fps, the input lag and smoothness of playing nothing even come close to it, definitely not extra Res textures and shadows etc.

Yeah Onrush and Driveclub are worlds apart.

Loved DC, platted it and wanted more though I didn't like the bikes. Excellent cockpit view and a genuine next gen game. The BAC Mono and Hennessey Venom GT were enthralling to drive. A real shame it isn't available anymore on the store.

Puskas

Looking at how Sony have rushed to expunge every trace of Driveclub's existence from their history, I think it's safe to believe they're totally done with the IP.
Good thing physical media still exists.
That’s what I’m assuming as well. Shame, really.

Sony’s first party racing game output is now solely up to Kaz 😴

Why? He is absolutely right, there is no place for any race game with 30FPS no matter how much they polish the turd period!
People don't get it after all this years as you can see from new console announcements "oh graphics is not that impressive etc." the biggest difference is 30fps to 60fps, the input lag and smoothness of playing nothing even come close to it, definitely not extra Res textures and shadows etc.

Utter guff.

I had excellent fun with DC @ 30FPS, and was blown away many times with the graphics which is whether you like it or not a major part of the experience. It handled more than fine. Compare that to Gran Turismo which is like the gaming equivalent of watching paint dry.

Sega Rally @ 25FPS on Saturn also provided endless fun yet numpties like yourself would label it "unplayable" :ROFLMAO:

LostDonkey

The DriveClub engine remained at Sony. The Codemasters games developed by former Evo staff used a different engine, so it was not an evolution of DriveClub's tech.

I didn't say it used Driveclubs engine.

They have stated that the Onrush engine is an evolution of the work they did on Driveclub.

Being the same team they obviously brought over a lot of knowledge from their time at Sony and have deployed that in their newer games, including Dirt 5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom