• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, but DriveClub isn't good. At all.

CJY

Banned
I played it quite a bit when it launched and it was reasonably fun. I played in VR also at launch, and that wasn't great, but no biggie. The dynamic weather and TOD is cool.

However, I've spent the last week playing Gran Turismo Sport after getting a T300RS-GT wheel and I decided to do a few runs in DriveClub and MANNNNNN, maybe it's just in comparison to GT, but I'm deleting DC cos the game just feels broken. The ForceFeedback on the wheel is almost non-existant and it's 30FPS. I literally felt sick nauseous while playing it. The camera is super jumpy, the jaggies are horrendous. The cars feel like they have zero traction.

Maybe it's not fair to compare it to GTS, seeing as GTS is aguably the best looking and feeling racer of all time. What the hell were Evolution thinking producing an arcade-y racing game at 30FPS? I think if it was (at the very least, feature-wise) 60FPS, then it would still be a game worth playing today.

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not that surprised Sony shut down the servers early and closed down Evolution. It's simply not a title worthy of being in their 1st-party stable.

VertigoOA

Banned
I stayed with it for all the dlc content minus the bikes. Still loved it for track design. I can’t recall the changes in mechanics over time but I always dug the game. Closest thing to ridge racer kind of cornering game this gen.

Vanilla version looked like shit IMO. The dlc courses all looked better due to weather conditions and overall better artistic aesthetic.

I would’ve kept playing if it had a pro patch but that never happened.

Ive been interested in GRID tho

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I'd have to play GTS to compare.... for an early PS4 game I thought it was decent but not my type of racer. I prefer sims, like the old GT's and Forza.

VertigoOA

Banned
The frame rate was bizarre too. Was it frame pacing issue? The game always seemed like it flickered.

Bloodborne and DriveClub both do that for me. I swear it’s never that bad in other games at all.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I'd have to play GTS to compare.... for an early PS4 game I thought it was decent but not my type of racer. I prefer sims, like the old GT's and Forza.
I can't compare to Forza or PC sim racers, and the last GT I played was GT3, but GTS is just ridiculously good with a wheel. Like holy-shit, damn amazing. I'm genuinely shocked how far it has come. It's not perfect... but it blows my mind imagining what they'll do in GT7.

DonF

Yeah, I never felt the ...emotion of playing Gran Turismo with Driveclub. I can't put my finger on it. Its a good game, not great...but it sure is pretty!

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
The frame rate was bizarre too. Was it frame pacing issue? The game always seemed like it flickered.

Bloodborne and DriveClub both do that for me. I swear it’s never that bad in other games at all.
That's exactly it. The word "flicker" definitely comes to mind. I don't think it's a frame pacing issue, because by all accounts the frame pacing and frame rate was solid in DC. I think it's literally because it's 30FPS. Racing games just need 60FPS I think. Forza Horizon 2 is meant to be 30FPS though, and that's meant to be decent. So I really don't know.

sinnergy

I know ... loved motorstorm, but this game was a visual mess and hard to follow, couldn’t see shit in the rain, no fun at all, in day light it looked very bland.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Project Gotham Racing is one of my favorite series ever, and so I thought DriveClub would strike all the same chords. But yea, it really didn't. It was beautiful and the art design was phenomenal, but that's about it. I did not like it much.

I still think Sony did the game and Evo Studios dirty though. Maybe they don't want to fund a sequel but keep the damn servers up.

makaveli60

Not hyperbolic at all, Driveclub at launch was an abject failure. It since gained a small but vocal following that treat it as some kind of hidden gem. I understand where OP is coming from.
It was I suppose, I wasn't there at launch, though as I don't care about online modes usually, it wouldn't have been a problem for me anyway. Anyway, I think it was hyperbolic and you think it wasn't so I think we've reached the end of this argument :D

diffusionx

Gold Member
It was I suppose, I wasn't there at launch, though as I don't care about online modes usually, it wouldn't have been a problem for me anyway. Anyway, I think it was hyperbolic and you think it wasn't so I think we've reached the end of this argument :D

The whole game was designed around, well, drive clubs though. And the online just didn't work at all for a good six months.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think I have only played online once altogether and still had a blast in SP. It was fully enjoyable without the online side for me.

It wasn't about racing online. You know how you form clubs and earn XP, share challenges, have leaderboards, etc.? None of that stuff worked. At all. Whether or not you personally care about it is ultimately irrelevant. It was a core feature of the game - it's in the damn name! And the fact that it didn't work pretty much killed the game right from the start.

pawel86ck

Banned
Gran Turismo is different type of racing game, it's more about simulation rather than arcade, so I wouldn't compare it to Drive Club.

Drive Club is one of the best arcade racing games I have ever played on my G29. All my friends also loved it 👍.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Havent played it but I'm afraid to play any other racing game after FH4. That game raised the bar to the fucking roof. I tried the new NFS and it was absolute garbage in comparison and if I did not play FH4 I might've liked it. That's why I don't feel like getting Drive Club either.

S77

I found it being great, but of course if you compare it with GT Sport it might not be so good anymore.. Red Dead Redemption 2 is good too, but if you compare it with Breath of the Wild it will look like a shovelware walking (or riding) simulator.

Fbh

As someone who is really casually into racing games I loved it, still my favorite racer of the gen.
I liked the "not too arcade, not too sim" feeling of racing (with a controller though), the visuals are still absolutely fantastic and I loved how it's not open world but rather takes you all over the world, which is something I wish more racing games would do as I've never been able to get into the open world ones.

makaveli60

It wasn't about racing online. You know how you form clubs and earn XP, share challenges, have leaderboards, etc.? None of that stuff worked. At all. Whether or not you personally care about it is ultimately irrelevant. It was a core feature of the game - it's in the damn name! And the fact that it didn't work pretty much killed the game right from the start.
I know, but I'll be honest I don't get it. So you couldn't play at all witout those? Or how did that affect your singe player experience?

Pejo

I agree that it wasn't much fun to play, but it was quite a spectacle to look at. That's honestly most racers for me these days, I really miss arcade racers.

Antwix

I played it quite a bit when it launched and it was reasonably fun. I played in VR also at launch, and that wasn't great, but no biggie. The dynamic weather and TOD is cool.

However, I've spent the last week playing Gran Turismo Sport after getting a T300RS-GT wheel and I decided to do a few runs in DriveClub and MANNNNNN, maybe it's just in comparison to GT, but I'm deleting DC cos the game just feels broken. The ForceFeedback on the wheel is almost non-existant and it's 30FPS. I literally felt sick nauseous while playing it. The camera is super jumpy, the jaggies are horrendous. The cars feel like they have zero traction.

Maybe it's not fair to compare it to GTS, seeing as GTS is aguably the best looking and feeling racer of all time. What the hell were Evolution thinking producing an arcade-y racing game at 30FPS? I think if it was (at the very least, feature-wise) 60FPS, then it would still be a game worth playing today.

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm not that surprised Sony shut down the servers early and closed down Evolution. It's simply not a title worthy of being in their 1st-party stable.
100% agree. Reminds me of the old arcade racing games where your car was floating across the track without any feel to it. Not sure why anyone would play driveclub when there's better racing games out there. Driveclub is absolute trash.

Max_Po

Banned
100% agree. Reminds me of the old arcade racing games where your car was floating across the track without any feel to it. Not sure why anyone would play driveclub when there's better racing games out there. Driveclub is absolute trash.

no even fucking true. Every car handles differently, I don't know how stupid people like you post absolute nonsense about games as facts without thoroughly playing them.

I have played DriveClub for easily over 150 to 200 hours or more.

Its like the time a moron on GAF was arguing with me that Resistance 3 is trash and then admitted that he never played the game past first level.

Remember when people back in the early days of the XBO/PS4 took whatever crap was fed to them and had arguments between whether Driveclub or The Crew (holy shit) were better games?

Or how Driveclub was replacing GT on PS4 because of GT6, and Forza Horizon was going to be finished off?

Or when people thought games like Knack and Ryse were adequate or good games?

mekes

As just a customer I hold Sony fully responsible for the failure of DriveClub. Presenting the game as a freebie prior to the console launch, saying it would be available day 1 on console launch, butchering the game into a gimped version for PS Plus when it did arrive, failures on the quality control for launch, launching before key features were implemented. They threw Evo into the fire and then pissed on them to put the fire out. It was a shit show from Sony which all came about because they wanted to have some good press prior to the console launch.

The game itself, whilst not perfect, filled a void in the racing genre on PlayStation. It’s the most fun i have had with a racing game on PS4. And the most fun I have had with a racing game since the last Project Gotham game.

Top Bottom