• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

Lxg3bDk.png

Gestault

I've been okay with the idea of genderbent characters for quite a while. There are some pretty interesting stories that came from such settings.

I also didn't know that I needed a female Link until I saw this image on Kotaku about 5 years ago.
[PrurientLadyLink.jpeg]

You ever see someone with the right answer for the wrong reasons?

Darknight

Im getting a strong feeling some of you guys want female link just to have some weird sexual fantasy thing going. Its really sick some of the "art" being posted here. Looks like "Ice scream's Link (girl version) pedo fantasy" shit.

Im all for a female Link but I think some want one for the wrong reasons.

Gsnap

I don't understand what would be annoying about Link being a girl.

I wouldn't get to play as Zelda and use cool magic spells. That would annoy me. : /

I just really want a mainline Zelda game with Zelda as the player character. It would really expand the game in a lot of ways since her style is so different from links.

-Horizon-

There's a pillow fight now? Man, this thread has everything! All it needs now is a bath scene.

Also Zelda U should have Amie features. Just throwing that out there.

I have to admit that i didnt check the picture itself, i only went by the description in that message hehe. But the requested "features" (or what i shall call it) in that message seemed pretty crazy.

Those requests are cringey but to see some of the stuff that was already drawn...*shivers* can't unsee.

Imagine if a group of people bullied Nintendo about Samus being a woman and aggressively demanded that they made a Metroid where Samus was male.

Im getting a strong feeling some of you guys want female link just to have some weird sexual fantasy thing going. Its really sick some of the "art" being posted here. Looks like "Ice scream's Link (girl version) pedo fantasy" shit.

Im all for a female Link but I think some want one for the wrong reasons.

female characters are faster
i want Link doing Bayonetta and Vergil combos and insane speeds
also like i said causing chaos

pj

Banned
Adjust your 1950s-era PR statements and internal development memos as appropriate. Print new editions of your ultra-important half page long Legend of Zelda lore pamphlets.

All your Links are girls.

3Sd8PEO.jpg

All of them, from her landmark NES game onward. Thanks for understanding, Nintendo.

Little early to be drunk on a tuesday isn't it?

Edit: Does this have anything to do with your natural Link-ish ears? Tired of being told you should be Link for Halloween so you want to make him a her?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So what you are telling me is the playable character in the Zelda games isn't Zelda or Link? Have I been naming him wrong all this time?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
In front of the Temple of Time there are two girls. One of them us Zelda. And another one - a docile looking girl wearing a green tunic and hat. However, it's a mistake to call her a girl. This is Link. The son of the temple's chief priest. Yes, a son. No matter how you look at him, he looks like a lovely girl but he's a guy.

"Ganon-san, hello."

He makes a quick bow to me. His voice and behaviour make him look like a female. Or maybe more feminine than a female.

But he's a guy.

Taller than Zelda, and of a very slim build.

But he's a guy.

Looks good in a green tunic.

But he's a guy.

He's holding a sword, so I'm guessing that he was in the middle of training.

But he's a guy.

It's so hot, even though it's almost evening.

But he's a guy.

The damn cicadas won't shut up.

But he's a guy.
I understood the reference

NotLiquid

I'm all for Female Link.

That PR statement was kind of weird considering Nintendo has a decent history with female playable characters compared to so many of their peers. Smash Bros in particular is really cool with this.

But hey you can at least dress up Link in an actual dress so... taking both one step backward and one step forward?

oti

Banned
Pixels and polygons don't give a fuck about your ecology.

But what about the people of Hyrule? Think about it. So Ganon is defeated but there are feathers EVERYWHERE. The fishing industry would cease to exist. Who would clean up all the feathers? Who would pay the costs? Can the Hyrulian economy even handle such an operation? What would happen to Hyrule's rating?

Brashnir

But what about the people of Hyrule? Think about it. So Ganon is defeated but there are feathers EVERYWHERE. The fishing industry would cease to exist. Who would clean up all the feathers? Who would pay the costs? Can the Hyrulian economy even handle such an operation? What would happen to Hyrule's rating?

There aren't any actual people in Hyrule. It's all happening inside a snowglobe filled with feathers.

Village

All Nintendo games to end up as Fe confirmed

They each hold a different section of their timeline's Triforce within their hearts (courage, strength, wisdom), but its powers only activate when they're in danger. Therefore they initiate "combat" with fluffy pillows to join their Triforce pieces and make a wish to save the universe.

brb signing up for fanfiction.net
When you get that film deal
Let me borrow a dollah

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever the creator says.

I don't get the obsession over Link's sex, honestly; I would prefer a Zelda turned adventurer.

This so much. She was fun in Hyrule Warriors and even got a second slot with Sheik which was even better. It wouldn't be new for her to take an active role in combat.

Neiteio

This thread has become like a form of release for everyone who wants to be silly here but holds back for fear of being over-policed, haha

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
To this day people who don't play video games but kinda know about them will say to me "Oh, Zelda, that game where you play as that girl in green, right?" whenever the games come up.

Might as well make it official.
I played lots of games as a kid, but not really Nintendo's games. I thought just what you said - that the main character is a girl, and also that her name was, well, Zelda.

I also thought Tales fox from Sonic was a girl, and still seems dumb to me that she's supposed to be a boy.

tbd

What is this in response to?

I don't understand what would be annoying about Link being a girl.

He's a boy. He does usual boy stuff, he has implied female love interests and obvious interests, preferences and abilities. He has personality. Making him female would be as dumb as making Gordon a female, probably even dumber. A lot dumber, actually. Not to mention that fans have their headcanon for 30 years now, stimulated by official artworks, statements (like this one in the interview that again endorses he is a guy), an official manga and actual in-game events.

Why even asking for a gender change of an elaborated silent character when you can instead just hope for a Zelda with Tetra, Zelda, a sibling or a completely new protagonist. Well.

wafting blond locks
Short tunics
green eyeshadow in the first game
pink hair in one of the outings
Only vocals sounds like women's professional tennis players.

Links always been a girl, I agree. A bi of a tomboy in some games, but oh so female.

The reason why she doesn't talk is it would give her away.

Gestault

I played games as a kid, but not really Nintendo's games. I thought just what you said - that the main character is a girl, and also that her name was, well, Zelda.

I also thought Tales fox from Sonic was a girl, and still seems dumb to me that she's supposed to be a boy.

I always assumed Tweety Bird was a lady. On a certain level, I still believe Tweety Bird is a lady.

Lebon14

Adjust your 1950s-era PR statements and internal development memos as appropriate. Print new editions of your ultra-important half page long Legend of Zelda lore pamphlets.

All your Links are girls.

3Sd8PEO.jpg

All of them, from her landmark NES game onward. Thanks for understanding, Nintendo.

No amount "I'm OK with this" can say how "OK" I am with this decision.

You're Link, when you play the game, really. No, stay with me - I'm not bullshitting. Seriously.

I like the fact that Link is androgynous. You can interpret the character in different ways, whichever you prefer.

Top Bottom