• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

MrBadger

Already exists.

FUXW2Ks.png

Just a reminder that this scene happens in a Nintendo game about Tingle.

Cømet;170482679 said:
No real fan would have a problem with this. Link is Link, his daughter inheriting the triforce of courage is completely within lore.

I'd play it and enjoy it, especially if there's a cutscene at the beginning showing Link getting killed off to establish it all (not some wordsy bs like Nintendo is fond of).

i dont hate link but its high time someone else was the hero
he deserves to finally rest in peace and pass the torch
Ganons an asshole though and should have to suffer for all eternity

All this talk about a female link, and no mention of a Girlnandorf? We can genderbend blank slate protagonist but not a typical obstacle villain? For shame GAF...

Tadpole

Heres a solution. Since the Links change, make the NEXT hero a heroine. As for using link in marketing, just use the most relevant one like they do now.

I can go with this. It's not that this is a necessary thing. It's more that half-assed PR and a tone deaf company year after year makes these ideas far more interesting to entertain. This is what fantasy settings are for, kids.
When everyone's a waifu no one will be.
True equality!
I don't think there's a difference, dude has no personality.
This is a perfectly pragmatic way of looking at it if you want to avoid drama. A sort of "YMMV" gendered character regardless of what your personal feelings on the matter might be. As a child I might not have had "androgynous" in my vocabulary but once I learned the term I pegged my understanding of Link for it instantly. My parents were shocked. And, as dedicated left-wing weirdos, proud.

kadotsu

Banned
Since we are in full original mode right now. Wouldn't it be cool if the next Zelda game was steampunk inspired and you found out at the end that Link was dead the whole time.

I can't wait to see a future where race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, and ethnicity are all illegal. That's were this is all going and I couldn't care any less. Lets all put on our gray jump suits and become one homogenized pile of uselessness. Freedom is a 2 way street.

The responses in this thread are amazing.

oti

Banned
On a serious note, I really don't mind that Link is a boy. Miyamoto explored caves when he was young, so let him design Link as a boy. Who cares.

What is really dumb though is saying that only boys decided to become the heroes in Triforce Heroes. Come on, the characters don't mean anything for the story besides the one Link maybe. Why not just give the option for female heroes?

I really feel like this isn't an issue (or just not really talked about) in Japan so they don't see a reason to change that.

Wavebossa

No? I was just saying people in this page are freaking out about it but it doesn't seem to actually be in the thread.

Mods are deleting them. But my original point is that for all the talk about equality, progression, and all that....

...it seems like some of you guys are just interested in Link with boobs.

I dunno what that means (if anything), just pointing it out.

Cømet

Banned
i dont hate link but its high time someone else was the hero
he deserves to finally rest in peace and pass the torch
Ganons an asshole though and should have to suffer for all eternity

I mean I don't want to see Link never hero in a Zelda again, but yeah I could totally go for a different hero of a different gender. As long as it makes sense. It'd have to be bloodlines since loreshit, but a daughter of the hero's line is totally reasonable and I would very much enjoy it.

It's genderswapping "cos" I hate. It'd piss me off with any established character.

Thinking about it, how epic would it be to play as one of Link's daughters for a few games, her father missing, and then the next game be all about her grizzled warrior father off on a grand adventure?

I think you're missing the part where Link is officially a girl now. Sorry. Best wishes with your coping rituals, though!

I see you're already doing well with yours ;) :p

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Mods are deleting them. But my original point is that for all the talk about equality, progression, and all that....

...it seems like some of you guys are just interested in Link with boobs.

I dunno what that means (if anything), just pointing it out.
GAF isn't a hivemind.

bomblord1

Banned
Why stop at being female. I think we should explore the intricacies of different species. To really understand the underlying societal pressure the internet has put on cats
link-cat--large-msg-134740066231.jpg

Make link a cat. It's like the twilight realm dog transformation but it's permanent until the end when you emerge understanding the cat condition.

Gsnap

On a serious note, I really don't mind that Link is a boy. Miyamoto explored caves when he was young, so let him design Link as a boy. Who cares.

What is really dumb though is saying that only boys decided to become the heroes in Triforce Heroes. Come on, the characters don't mean anything for the story besides the one Link maybe. Why not just give the option for female heroes?

I really feel like this isn't an issue (or just not really talked about) in Japan so they don't see a reason to change that.

I honestly doubt that pr statement was what they actually wanted to say. I'm sure they were just trying to give vague non-responses in order to not upset anyone. Obviously that didn't work, but I don't think the company would be happy if the guy said, "Just because. That's the way it is now, maybe we'll do it differently later, maybe not. No big deal, really. Go play splatoon."

Kriken

Why stop at being female. I think we should explore the intricacies of different species. To really understand the underlying societal pressure the internet has put on cats
link-cat--large-msg-134740066231.jpg

Make link a female cat. It's like the twilight realm dog transformation but it's permanent until the end when you emerge understanding the cat condition.

No buy until Link is a Martian

Cømet;170483582 said:
I mean I don't want to see Link never hero in a Zelda again, but yeah I could totally go for a different hero of a different gender. As long as it makes sense. It'd have to be bloodlines since loreshit, but a daughter of the hero's line is totally reasonable and I would very much enjoy it.

It's genderswapping "cos" I hate. It'd piss me off with any established character.

Thinking about it, how epic would it be to play as one of Link's daughters for a few games, her father missing, and then the next game be all about her grizzled warrior father off on a grand adventure?

I see you're already doing well with yours ;) :p
TURN LINK INTO GERALT OF FUCKING RIVIA
DO IT NINTENDO

G.ZZZ

All this talk about a female link, and no mention of a Girlnandorf? We can genderbend blank slate protagonist but not a typical obstacle villain? For shame GAF...

Ganondorf however has a reason in the lore for being male, he's the only male gerudo that is born every XXX years and as such he automatically become their king. Ganondorf also isn't the only villain of the zelda series, so you can just have a female villain and it's all good.

Cømet

Banned
I honestly doubt that pr statement was what they actually wanted to say. I'm sure they were just trying to give vague non-responses in order to not upset anyone. Obviously that didn't work, but I don't think the company would be happy if the guy said, "Just because. That's the way it is now, maybe we'll do it differently later, maybe not. No big deal, really. Go play splatoon."

That's pretty much Nintendo all over.

Top Bottom