• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

Why stop at being female. I think we should explore the intricacies of different species. To really understand the underlying societal pressure the internet has put on cats
link-cat--large-msg-134740066231.jpg

Make link a cat. It's like the twilight realm dog transformation but it's permanent until the end when you emerge understanding the cat condition.

You've never played Okami, have you?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'd play as a female Link rescuing a male Zelda...or female Link rescuing a female Zelda. Or male Link rescuing a male Zelda.

It really wouldn't matter to me.

Kurtofan

I honestly doubt that pr statement was what they actually wanted to say. I'm sure they were just trying to give vague non-responses in order to not upset anyone. Obviously that didn't work, but I don't think the company would be happy if the guy said, "Just because. That's the way it is now, maybe we'll do it differently later, maybe not. No big deal, really. Go play splatoon."

I doubt people are actually upset.

bomblord1

Banned
plot twist
Evil Lore was a girl all along
all those pics were her brother
IT WAS ALL A WORK

How deep does the rabbit hole go? Next thing you know evilore will self ban and the 3D modeler for link will show up and tell everyone they didn't intend for that female anatomy to be there.

Kater

Banned
Why stop at being female. I think we should explore the intricacies of different species. To really understand the underlying societal pressure the internet has put on cats

Make link a cat. It's like the twilight realm dog transformation but it's permanent until the end when you emerge understanding the cat condition.
I fully support this idea.

Cømet;170484101 said:
We've played plenty of young Link, why no middle age Link? AGEISM!!

(I really want a grizzled, "more realistic" Zelda adventure. Grizzled old-man Link fucking up skellingtons and shit.

someone should mod it into Witcher 3 once we get those tools

Wavebossa

GAF isn't a hivemind.

No its not. But I still question some people's motives when I see threads like this and others.

It reminds me of years ago when I asked a fellow guildie in WoW why he race changed to a female Blood Elf. I asked him if it had anything to do with the fact that our guild was primarily male characters.

He said, "Nope, I just like to take off her clothes and run all around Shat half naked"

(Shat's a city btw)

Also I think Nintendo reached a new low with that statement, not even "girls are hard to animate" can't compare.

this thread is a bunch of nonsense.
it's this stupid politically correctness gone mad, and everyone's just arguing for the sake of arguing. what rubbish.
the 3 heroes in this game are male because they're male. that's it.

there's no hidden meaning in it. nintendo aren't trying to make any political statements with it. they don't have anything against females in their company. there's no hidden agenda here. it's a non-issue.
the 3 characters are simply male, because they are, and nintendo didn't think there would be any issue with it… because really, there is no issue with it.
just a bunch of bored idiots making a mountain out of a molehill.

there are multiple games nintendo has made that feature strong lead female characters.
and the best thing about the scenarios when nintendo creates strong female characters is that it isn't done as some sort of response to real world politics or in order to address some gender equality issue… it's done simply because they wanted to make another lead female character in their game and it suited it.

which imo is a much better ethos than seeing a bunch of studios & publishers stumbling over each other trying to create female 'leads' in order to appear politically correct & appeal to some real-world political movement. imo that's more dishonest & pandering, because the intention to create a female lead isn't from genuine desire to create it, period… it's a 'pop-culture' knee-jerk reaction for the purposes of marketing and being able to be seen as 'progressive'.

Seems like you're wrong, dude!

Pejo

I like where you're headed, but you haven't hit the endgame yet. Let's make Link an abstract thought, formless and sightless.

-Horizon-

plot twist
Evil Lore was a girl all along
all those pics were her brother
IT WAS ALL A WORK
So you're saying EviLore was a hidden route in the GAF visual novel? :O

Cømet;170484101 said:
We've played plenty of young Link, why no middle age Link? AGEISM!!

(I really want a grizzled, "more realistic" Zelda adventure. Grizzled old-man Link fucking up skellingtons and shit.
Middle aged link is too busy being a recently divorced dad who takes care of his 3 kids on the weekends.
Of course, the girl at lane 11 at the grocery store has been acting pretty friendly lately. Link thinks he has a chance at finding happiness one more time.

The rom-com that will make you laugh and cry. This Christmas.

Gsnap

I doubt people are actually upset.

Yeah, it's obvious most people aren't. But I've seen more than a few posts about how backwards nintendo is because of this, despite how well they've been handling female characters lately, and they didn't sound like they were joking. And personally I just think that's ridiculous.

But this isn't a place for real discussions, my bad. I'll go get some mayo and lighten the mood. : )

oti

Banned

Dogs > Cats

post-8679-0-69990400-1367461979.jpg

Neiteio

Replace Link with Harley Quinn's character model, and Palutena's voice, wearing Lucina's boots. You could explain it as the True Hero of Time, who is light, but also shadow, with the power to be liquid, but also steel.

Cømet

Banned
someone should mod it into Witcher 3 once we get those tools

That would totally make me buy the game. Shit I dressed my XIV PLD as Link for a while. All the catgirls went nuts.

No its not. But I still question some people's motives when I see threads like this and others.

It reminds me of years ago when I asked a fellow guildie in WoW why he race changed to a female Blood Elf. I asked him if it had anything to do with the fact that our guild was primarily male characters.

He said, "Nope, I just like to take off her clothes and run all around Shat half naked"

(Shat's a city btw)

I won't lie, I like R63 Link. She's cute.

I was tempted to change my Mi'Qote PLD to femroe too as I find them cute too. Too attached to the catdude though.

Nothing wrong with being attracted to the ladies.

Izuna

Banned
He's a boy. He does usual boy stuff, he has implied female love interests and obvious interests, preferences and abilities. He has personality. Making him female would be as dumb as making Gordon a female, probably even dumber. A lot dumber, actually. Not to mention that fans have their headcanon for 30 years now, stimulated by official artworks, statements (like this one in the interview that again endorses he is a guy), an official manga and actual in-game events.

Why even asking for a gender change of an elaborated silent character when you can instead just hope for a Zelda with Tetra, Zelda, a sibling or a completely new protagonist. Well.

What this about usual boy stuff? I don't understand.

Girl can't have a personality?

bomblord1

Banned
What this about usual boy stuff? I don't understand.

Girl can't have a personality?

You know breaking pots, attempting to murder chickens, Screaming in pain as he assimilates the soul of another creature into his own and takes on their appearance through a mask.

Typical boy stuff.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Artwise, it's really easy to switch the gender in the Zelda series. And it does not even have to be sexualized in a creepy way...

tetro__lin_and_prince_zelda_by_telinkk-d5zyibj.png

Cømet

Banned
So you're saying EviLore was a hidden route in the GAF visual novel? :O

Middle aged link is too busy being a recently divorced dad who takes care of his 3 kids on the weekends.
Of course, the girl at lane 11 at the grocery store has been acting pretty friendly lately. Link thinks he has a chance at finding happiness one more time.

The rom-com that will make you laugh and cry. This Christmas.

If only he could get over his crippling social anxiety!

"H-hyaaah!?"

Dogs > Cats

post-8679-0-69990400-1367461979.jpg

See now he definitely looks more heroic than the cat.

Wavebossa

Cømet;170484998 said:
I won't lie, I like R63 Link. She's cute.

I was tempted to change my Mi'Qote PLD to femroe too as I find them cute too. Too attached to the catdude though.

Nothing wrong with being attracted to the ladies.

Nope nothing at all. Its just a different motive.

My best friend played Ivy is Soul Calibur 2 because of her breasts. I had no issue with that. Now if he told me he was trying to fight stereotypes or correct and imbalance.... I would have been like...

Top Bottom