• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

-Horizon-

It was originally a girl. I know because of my Uncle Jimtendo who works at Nintendo.

"Neiteio, my boy," he said, taking a drag on his bubble pipe, "I remember it like it was just yesterday. Aonuma-san realized his lead artist, Progressive Pete, had slipped a female Link into the game. Aonuma-san was outraged. 'How dare you?' he howled, slapping the artist. 'Link doesn't wear an apron! Link doesn't make sandwiches for his husband!' he cried, shooting the artist with a sawed-off shotgun. It was... a grisly scene."
Aonuma is a ruthless dictator D:

Wavebossa

It was originally a girl. I know because of my Uncle Jimtendo who works at Nintendo.

"Neiteio, my boy," he said, taking a drag on his bubble pipe, "I remember it like it was just yesterday. Aonuma-san realized his lead artist, Progressive Pete, had slipped a female Link into the game. Aonuma-san was outraged. 'How dare you?' he howled, slapping the artist. 'Link doesn't wear an apron! Link doesn't make sandwiches for his husband!' he cried, shooting the artist with a sawed-off shotgun. It was... a grisly scene."

Aonuma-san....

true-detective-birdman.png

CTLance

I say, let Link decide what (s)he wants to be.

I'm cool with either.

( I'd love some generational gameplay where you play as son/daughter of Link. Start off as small tyke battling beetles and chickens and work your way up to proper Zelda fare as time goes on.

What I'm saying is: Link is a kid now. )

I'm
not
sorry.

Village

I say, let Link decide what (s)he wants to be.

I'm cool with either.

( I'd love some generational gameplay where you play as son/daughter of Link. Start off as small tyke battling beetles and chickens and work your way up to proper Zelda fare as time goes on.

What I'm saying is: Link is a kid now. )

I'm
not
sorry.
Is he also a squid?

This is important

I'm down. I still wish the Zelda U would turn out to be a girl.

Can she crawl though?

This slayed me. It does sound just like the "skirt" logic. I'm half surprised it wasn't part of the initial explanation.

Edit: I'm so stunned that people somehow think this Link's "character" is something sacred. There's little to no personality there at all. You don't even speak. That's what I love about the idea of Link being a girl in one of the entries. It's just an elf-looking kid, dressed in green, fighting evil. Could be any gender it's not like there's some great and important love story between Link and Zelda in every entry that needs to be retained (Because I know, gasp, think of the children and what that kind of exposure between two women in a relationship might be like). And if of that was a thing, they could do a gender swap in both sides. Seriously, this stuff is about the least important aspect of a Zelda game.

DTU

Banned
How about, for fictional purposes (since Link is a character in a story), Nintendo actually considers and wants Link to be male? What's the big deal? It's their story.

exfatal

To this day people who don't play video games but kinda know about them will say to me "Oh, Zelda, that game where you play as that girl in green, right?" whenever the games come up.

Might as well make it official.

Yeah that's the mind set we want everyone to have going forward. >_>

also i want link to be a cyborg that can turn into a crane.
Nintendo doesn't need to go fanfiction revisionist history on established characters. Nintendo should make more games starring girls.
Also this man. seriously instead of genderbending established Nintendo characters, there should just be more games starring female characters. Maybe a more combat orientated open world game that stars some goddess.
Palutena and Viridi in a Darksider type game

DeSolos

Nintendo doesn't need to go fanfiction revisionist history on established characters. Nintendo should make more games starring girls.

Real Hero

From the artwork posted of girl Link in this thread it is probably for the better we don't get the female link people seem to want

Why stop at being female. I think we should explore the intricacies of different species. To really understand the underlying societal pressure the internet has put on cats
link-cat--large-msg-134740066231.jpg

Make link a cat. It's like the twilight realm dog transformation but it's permanent until the end when you emerge understanding the cat condition.

I like that cat.

Izuna

Banned
How about, for fictional purposes (since Link is a character in a story), Nintendo actually considers and wants Link to be male? What's the big deal? It's their story.

Because

1. Nintendo says Link isn't manly anyway
2. Uses that as reason for not having a female choice in their new game

In front of the Temple of Time there are two girls. One of them us Zelda. And another one - a docile looking girl wearing a green tunic and hat. However, it's a mistake to call her a girl. This is Link. The son of the temple's chief priest. Yes, a son. No matter how you look at him, he looks like a lovely girl but he's a guy.

"Ganon-san, hello."

He makes a quick bow to me. His voice and behaviour make him look like a female. Or maybe more feminine than a female.

But he's a guy.

Taller than Zelda, and of a very slim build.

But he's a guy.

Looks good in a green tunic.

But he's a guy.

He's holding a sword, so I'm guessing that he was in the middle of training.

But he's a guy.

It's so hot, even though it's almost evening.

But he's a guy.

The damn cicadas won't shut up.

But he's a guy.

This is perfect. I love you.

Heartfyre

Today, NeoGAF's Supreme Court, an unelected panel of one person, has redefined the foundational tenets of our society. This is just the start of a slippery slope where all video game protagonists have their biological sex inverted, and we'll soon be playing games as Maria Fenix, Master Madam, Natalie Drake, and Cassandra Bandicoot.

Eventually, our society will degrade to a point where equal marriage is made legal.

Top Bottom