• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry Nintendo, we've decided that Link is officially a girl

Mario of Mario Bros fame? Unless they Wachowski this, there's no changing that.

Sonic, the dude with a tude to carry the nineties?

Princess Zelda?

Try harder, straw man factory.
Since when did Zelda need to be a princess? Likewise both Mario and Sonic have multiple universes, and last time I checked sonic didn't have a d, That's kinda necessary to be a dude, at least sex wise. Either way I now declare that samus is actually Sam Aran.

Izuna

Banned
This is a sneak preview of what Gafgold gets you

GUYS, quickly. Before a mod deletes my post!! Copy this into notepad and spread via 4chan where they have no power (they have people at reddit, you gotta believe me).

GafGOLD ain't what you think it is, it is the land of the future where if you create an announcement thread, it becomes true!

EviLore is shitting himself because he made the thread in the wrong area. He is playing this off so it isn't suspicious!

Guys I hear the sirens outside my house so I am out of time.

Think about it, TLG, FFVII Remake and Shenmue III? They only exist because a mod, whose identity has been erased from existence, accidentally named a thread like this thread with a question mark for GafGOLD discussion, but that wasn't how the system worked. Think about it, the OP has been banned because he didn't really exist, all messages were created in the system. See whether or not you have an apparently "reply" to that OP and ask yourself, do you remember posting that?

It was nice knowing all of you.

But you have to stop GafGOLD! They are planning on announcing that DooM PC ver. is capped to 60fps and with no way to change the FOV! Why do you think Durante has been silenced?!

If you do the Konami Code while looking at this message, you have access to the base layer of GafGOLD

How often do you hear about news on NeoGAF and suddenly it's real?

Since the Roman sperm would lack many genetically transferred immunities, I suppose the resulting baby would likely have immune system issues and die shortly.

You are the biggest buzz kill in the world.

That's debatable though, we could vaccinate them for a few, have them as a bubble baby up until we understand what has changed etc.

4AuwaLK.png
She looks so happy :)

Neiteio

Takamaru sprites randomly littered around the world of all three a la Luigis/Toads in the 3D World saga. Alternatively a guest star role as an NPC (think Prince Richard in Link's Awakening) bitter that "older bro" got all the fame and a genderswap when he hasn't had work in years.
Haha, awesome

I don't get this! Link IS a blank avatar. You can rename the character to your name! Link was designed to be THE LINK to the player. Link is the definition of a blank avatar lol.
The story of Link has always been about a boy saving a princess, no? It may be blank in terms of a name, but the fiction I thought was usually that.

Still have yet to see anyone say why we can't just have a Zelda/Sheik or Impa game instead of making an unnecessary change. Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly against it but it just seems unnecessary when there are better alternatives if you want more female representation in Zelda games.

Regginator

This thread still isn't locked down?

Some quick! Make a thread about we all decided Samus is a guy and Mario is a girl! With this still in the air, they can't lock similar threads!

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
So Link is lesbian....good

213372bu

Banned
I feel like me and 1/10th of the posters in this thread got what EvilLore was going for.

But, hmmm.

- -
IMO DISCLAIMER:
Real thoughts : There really shouldn't be a controversy if a game developer decides that a character is a boy. Even if the PR speak is bad, just let the creator do whatever they want. Link has been a boy since the inception of the franchise, and not saying that this should always be followed, but a few posters in particular flipping their shit and calling Nintendo sexist when Link isn't a girl after every release for the past ~4-5 years always strikes me strange. Those posters also posting pictures of a overtly sexualized/doujin/clothes-removed Link almost exclusively also makes my head turn but w/e.

A female Zelda would be cool though and a nice turn on the series. Would like to see where that goes one day.

YOOOO THOSE LINK COSPLAYERS ARE PRETTY HYPE!

IMO DISCLAIMER:
Real thoughts : There really shouldn't be a controversy if a game developer decides that a character is a boy. Even if the PR speak is bad, just let the creator do whatever they want. Link has been a boy since the inception of the franchise, and not saying that this should always be followed, but a few posters in particular flipping their shit and calling Nintendo sexist when Link isn't a girl after every release for the past ~4-5 years always strikes me strange. Those posters also posting pictures of a overtly sexualized/doujin/clothes-removed Link almost exclusively also makes my head turn but w/e.

A female Zelda would be cool though and a nice turn on the series. Would like to see where that goes one day.

Then they shouldn't tiptoe around it. Just come out and say "we don't want to do that." Don't make excuses why you can't, because you obviously can.

Canon

Banned
Yeah, next Link should be a girl, it could be a new way to explore some new themes.
Uh... how? Other M style?

I don't think his gender matters at all, he is a silent protagonist. Unless you want to unmute him just to point out his gender which is... something.

I feel like me and 1/10th of the posters in this thread got what EvilLore was going for.

But, hmmm.

- -
IMO DISCLAIMER:

I actually have no idea what this thread is about, are you guys (not directed at you) seriously complaing that Link is still a guy?

balgajo

Then they shouldn't tiptoe around it. Just come out and say "we don't want to do that." Don't make excuses why you can't, because you obviously can.

Even though I'm a male Link defender I agree with this. Such a bad PR. They could say something like: The king knows that the hero reincarnates as a boy and called some young boys to test if one of them is the hero of the legend.

Gosh, all these SEXY____.jpg images makes me kind of bummed that people can't imagine Link being a girl without her being walking fanservice too lol.

Kriken

Yeah, next Link should be a girl, it could be a new way to explore some new themes.

You're assuming the Zelda team would actually take Link's new gender into consideration. It'd be the same game, but the main character would be female, I'm sure of it

213372bu

Banned

I'm not speaking to defend them, or anything like that. But I'll give my thoughts.

Devs in general seem to get really weird when stuff like that is brought up. Personally I believe it is because certain Social Media sites would go absolutely insane if the dev said "we don't want Link to be a girl in this game" or "we rather just keep Link a boy because *reasons*" and the backlash would be astronomical. (See:FFXV when there was a pretty legitimite in-story reason.)

But it seems like we have seen a FeLink in HW and I honestly think they're going that route sometime in the future. Just a matter of when at this point, tbh.

Ferrio

Banned
Even though I'm a male Link defender I agree with this. Such a bad PR. They could say something like: The king knows that the hero reincarnates as a boy and called some young boys to test if one of them is the hero of the legend.

Should have a whole story around that, turns out the King chose wrong and the "main" hero dies a stupid death within 2 hours. A female link picks up the pieces.

You're assuming the Zelda team would actually take Link's new gender into consideration. It'd be the same game, but the main character would be female, I'm sure of it

That's how it should be.
With obvious lesbian themes with Zelda

I really don't want Nintendo to ever show us what they think how Link being a girl would make it different. Super Princess Peach and Other M has seen to that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm fine with making every male character have a female option.

or the opposite

Maybe as an extra post-game unlockable.
I certainly do not agree with this. In an era where we have this technology to scan actors and get their performance onto the characters that we see onscreen it would increase costs or lessen characters. Rarely are blackish state characters ever good compared to defined ones like Nathan Drake. Especially in an era where devs are trying my harder to make good stories instead of the tripe we used to get in so many middleware games.

SegaShack

Honestly not sure why every character needs a female version. The option is fine, but an established character it makes sense to keep them how they are. People would definitely get upset over a male Samus or female Donkey Kong (Dankey Kang).

Their reasoning doesn't make much sense, but Im all for keeping an established icon the same. Not sexist either, male or female its the character that matters and to me changing a characters gender makes no sense.

Ferrio

Banned
Honestly not sure why every character needs a female version. The option is fine, but an established character it makes sense to keep them how they are. People would definitely get upset over a male Samus or female Donkey Kong (Dankey Kang).

Their reasoning doesn't make much sense, but Im all for keeping an established icon the same. Not sexist either, male or female its the character that matters and to me changing a characters gender makes no sense.

It's one of the few iconic gaming characters that you could actually do the gender swap and it make sense. It's a damn shame they've slept on this angle so long.

Top Bottom