• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends [Wii] new screens

160fs723672.jpg

:|

Wow, as people said prior to the Wii's release, the Wii is able to keep up with it's competition (The Xbox 360) no problem! The Wii IS next gen! Compare screens of this game to the X360 exclusive Guilty Gear and its obvious the Wii can keep up with the joneses without breaking too much of a sweat.

The Abominable Snowman said:
Wow, as people said prior to the Wii's release, the Wii is able to keep up with it's competition (The Xbox 360) no problem! The Wii IS next gen! Compare screens of this game to the X360 exclusive Guilty Gear and its obvious the Wii can keep up with the joneses without breaking too much of a sweat.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic, but these screens looked decent until I remembered the Sould Caliber IV screens...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
My only concern is the gameplay. The game looks great IMO.

How does this look bad? Looks the same to me as before. Maybe it's just me but it looks fine.

And these aren't new. They were in Nintendo Power, I gots it right here.

Edit: Actually it seems like they're mixed up screens.

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to some quotes from nitnendo Powewr and Namco themselves baout the game before judging the screens:

On gameplay (the important stuff)
Producer Jin Okobo said:
The team spent a lot of time during the early stages focusing on how we wanted to approach the control, we spent a great deal of time...we wanted to make sure that it was physically satisfying... we put a lot of effort into studying exactly how to represent [sword slashing] through the controller

What Nintendo Powwer has to say

Nintendo Power said:
We had a chance to play an early version of the game and that the swordplay already felt remarkably fluid and responsive should come as little surprise given the development team's pedigree

Game graphics
Nintendo Power said:
Another trademark of the franchsie is top-notch production values, and as you can see, legends is shaping up to be one of Wii's most graphically impressive titles

Producer Jin Okobo said:
Obviously, the team is aiming to get the most they can out of the hardware. We have very high visual standards, as I'm sure you're aware from previous games in the series. With the control scheme set up the way it is, it pulls the player into the game. And we want this to also be reflected in the visuals. we want the visuals to have enough impact on the player to where it really pulls them in. We're putting a lot of energy into visual effects in the game

Rhazer Fusion said:
Well, it looks fun and imo, it's one of the better looking Wii games.
Not really, no.

It's flat everywhere, blech. Endless Ocean, Zack and Wiki and SMG are good looking Wii games. This isn't one of them.

edit: Well, the indoor shots look okay, but the outside are blech.

I for one, think it looks pretty nice. Not one of the best looking Wii titles, but certainly in motion and correct resolution, it should look extremely nice.

titiklabingapat

Watch out, Lair.

And it didn't even take half the polygons!

i dont think the game looks shitty, but it's certainly going to suck. the saddest thing is watching all the wii owners run around, knocking into each other.

LCGeek

formerly sane
LanceStern said:
I'd like to direct everyone's attention to some quotes from nitnendo Powewr and Namco themselves baout the game before judging the screens:

On gameplay (the important stuff)

What Nintendo Powwer has to say

Game graphics

I keep hearing they are using old pics so how can they call em new. Otherwise I'm starting to wonder what the media (egm said similar things) is seeing that we aren't.

This is a Wii game. It looks fine. Sure, there is the usual uber AA Bullshot going on, but that's because these were downsized from shots done for print (It would be nice if devs and pubs would send out two sets of shots: print bound and direct frame buffer grab @ native render res). With the scope of this game, the low res textures are understandable.

Looks pretty good overall to me, especially taking into account the fact that the hero models are farily close to the quality as they were in SC2 for GC.

Looks terrible (graphically). Wii games shouldn't look worse than the Gamecube & PS2 version- Legends lacks texture detail and is blocky.

UncleGuito said:
Looks terrible (graphically). Wii games shouldn't look worse than the Gamecube & PS2 version- Legends lacks texture detail and is blocky.
You can't compare 2 player fighting game in a smallish stage and an adventure beat em up game like this. The scope of the games are enormously different!

Charlatanized said:
Seems to have an odd mix of clean and muddy textures, and would benefit greatly from some better lighting.
And it would benefit from moving to a much more powerful platform like 360 or PS3 with tons more RAM for those great textures, but that's not gonna happen so let's move on with the pointless wish lists, shall we?

le.phat

Shogmaster said:
You can't compare 2 player fighting game in a smallish stage and an adventure beat em up game like this. The scope of the games are enormously different!
so compare it onimusha: dawn of dreams instead. still looks pretty ugly.

I think this game is getting a bad rap for the name Soul Calibur alone. If it was anything else I don't think people would be so hard on it.

But who knows could really be Crap.

le.phat said:
so compare it onimusha: dawn of dreams instead. still looks pretty ugly.

onimusha-dawn-of-dreams-20060303062216480.jpg

onimusha-dawn-of-dreams-20060303062159090.jpg

onimusha-dawn-of-dreams-20060303062214371.jpg

onimusha-dawn-of-dreams-20060303062201309.jpg

onimusha-dawn-of-dreams-20060303062200512.jpg

I don't like to compare high res press shots with compressed to hell frame buffer grabs, but the SC Legends definitely beats O: DoD with geometry and textures.

I suppose I blame the art direction, too. Soul Calibur's mish mash of character designs work in a 1vs1 fighting environment, but if you try to blend them all in, it just looks like a turd with whole corns, peanuts and other solid wastes along with it.

Shogmaster said:
And it would benefit from moving to a much more powerful platform like 360 or PS3 with tons more RAM for those great textures, but that's not gonna happen so let's move on with the pointless wish lists, shall we?

Not really a pointless list, more of observing what I see in some screenshots that were posted for the purpose of discussion, much in the same way you go on to list points like "geometry and textures."

Nintaiyo

Some of it looks okay, while other parts look pretty bad. The lighting needs to be fixed. It reminds me of the first version of RE4 for PC that was released without proper lighting. The ground textures looked better in SC2 :|

Charlatanized said:
Not really a pointless list, more of observing what I see in some screenshots that were posted for the purpose of discussion, much in the same way you go on to list points like "geometry and textures."
It's pointless because there not much better that can be done on that hardware. It's a well known architecture, Namco had plenty of experience on it, and they know it's limitations. It's not "lazy dev" causing those textures. It's the scope of the game. Accept it and move on. Enjoy the gameplay.

Top Bottom