• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice - New SCE Vita action game, May 10 Conference [Up: Ad Images]

Mondriaan

It's likely because Nintendo has Monster Hunter in their arsenal as well now. With PSP it was all but guaranteed that Capcom would be taking their business to Sony when it came to their portable MH releases and now that guarantee no longer exists. Instead of being the only show in town, they'd have to actively moneyhat and compete with Nintendo for it now.
Nintendo doesn't exactly have the greatest record for being a platform where third party titles can thrive and Capcom doesn't have the greatest record for being able to commit to a permanent transfer to another platform. They're made for each other. If Nintendo did moneyhat Capcom, they probably spent too much for too little loyalty.

Mario007

Nintendo doesn't exactly have the greatest record for being a platform where third party titles can thrive and Capcom doesn't have the greatest record for being able to commit to a permanent transfer to another platform. They're made for each other. If Nintendo did moneyhat Capcom, they probably spent too much for too little loyalty.

It's working for them. MH3G is selling great (in fact it could even be selling better than the Wii original game) and when MH4 drops 3DS's sales are gonna skyrocket again. Add to that the fact that Capcom doesn't have to majorly pimp out their engine for the 3DS (coming from Wii and/or PSP) it's a win win for both companies.

I mean Campcon did the exact same thing when they went from PS2 to Wii for MH3 simply because it was more cost-effective.

3rd parties in general did better on DS than PSP. Times are changing...

Truth101

Banned

We aren't talking about home consoles here, 3rd parties have always thrived on Nintendo's handhelds.

You can bet if the DS had an analog nub that MH would have been on it.

ijed

He was serious. Demon's Souls has sold about 700,000 copies and over 500,000 of that is NA sales. Japan doesn't care nearly as much as we do about the series.

And considering US population is 300+ mill and Japan is 120m the ratio is about the same :D
Those figures also don't take into account the HK/Asian version blah blah - no more derails

On topic, I doubt this is related to the Souls series, but would be pleasantly surprised if it was. Probably just Sony's attempt at an answer to MH4.

I'm just hype for a MP Vita game that interests me - the fact that people are throwing around "Mon Hun", "Souls" and "giant monsters" makes me more hype!

Sinople

What?! Rumor from who?

Goddamn, that would be so awesome.

Multiple posters on 2ch.
Maybe not the most reliable source but what gives it a bit more strength is that there was another rumor running there for some time about a Demon's Souls sequel or "side story" (gaiden) in development for Vita.

Could it be a Monhun clone set in the DS world to appeal to both east and west?

That's consoles, not handhelds.

DS absolutely dominated with third parties. 3DS being a Nintendo handheld and Monster Hunter 4 being well...Monster Hunter 4, there's absolutely zero reason to think that this will not sell. But that's enough of that because it's actually off-topic. XD

Emitan

You're talking about the same Nintendo that localized Tri in the west and even published it in Europe. They also did all the advertising. If they had done any more work they'd basically have made the game themselves.

You're talking about the same Nintendo that localized Tri in the west and even published it in Europe. They also did all the advertising. If they had done any more work they'd basically have made the game themselves.

Well, that would have explained why the game is so damn good at least. XD

Defuser

Now I'm very curious who is the developer if Sony is paying a 6 page ad for it.It can't be their first party developing it.

Kyon

Banned

Not true hun
rihannablush.gif

Alrus

It's working for them. MH3G is selling great (in fact it could even be selling better than the Wii original game) and when MH4 drops 3DS's sales are gonna skyrocket again. Add to that the fact that Capcom doesn't have to majorly pimp out their engine for the 3DS (coming from Wii and/or PSP) it's a win win for both companies.

It's already way past the Wii version in Japan.

Alrus

Didn't the Wii version sell 1.1 lifetime in Japan? If so, "way past" is quite the exaggeration.

About that (I think it did slightly less) yeah, MH3G is already at nearly 1.4 mil (probably around 1.5 mil shipped if not more) so that's 300k more than the lifetime total of MH3, I would say that's significant, especially when it shows no sign of slowing down (while MH3 reached its total with heavy price collapse).

Anyway that kinda OT so sorry about that. If this is truly a MH clone, I wonder how well it'll do without MH bringing the fanbase on the system (which obviously greatly helped games like God Eater). If it's a "Souls" game, it's not going to help much at all (in Japan), so I hope it's something else.

Total sales for MH3G since latest Media Create report: 1,375,179

If MH3 sold 1.1 million, 3G sold ~25% more. Not something that I'd call "way past".
MC has MH3 at 1,046,993 btw. Over 300k more is significant, most games don't even sell 300k in Japan. Demon's Souls didn't for example.

Celine

Oh god, new Soul Blazer game...

EDIT:
Ah, apparently there's an illustration of the game in Famitsu. It shows 4 characters fighting against a huge monster. Definitely sounds like a Monhun clone of some sort. Apparently those who register their PSN IDs will be able to stream the conference in May. There's a website but it isn't active yet: http://pscom.jp/SOULSACRIFICE

Seems first party...
Fuck this shit.

herod

I called this before the Vita launch as the obvious hole in their catalogue as soon as monHun went missing. I suppose it was started immediately upon reception of that news at Sony hq.

jgmo870

Banned
MC has MH3 at 1,046,993 btw. Over 300k more is significant, most games don't even sell 300k in Japan. Demon's Souls didn't for example.

Percentage growths are what matter most. If CoD Black Ops 2 sells 1 million more than MW3 in terms of lifetime sales, I don't think anyone would be that impressed.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Honestly, neither are impressive compared to MHP3rd.

Percentage growths are what matter most. If CoD Black Ops 2 sells 1 million more than MW3 in terms of lifetime sales, I don't think anyone would be that impressed.
Ratios are easily skewed and manipluated in comparisons. At the end of the day it's the raw numbers that matter, and what everyone's really interested in.

Nevermind that 3G isn't close to finished selling. It's probably going to pass 2 million.

Honestly, neither are impressive compared to MHP3rd.
Nothing's really impressive compared to 3rd. MH4 is tye only thing with a shot there, and I'd still be shocked it did as well.

jgmo870

Banned
Ratios are easily skewed and manipluated in comparisons.

Examples, please.

At the end of the day it's the raw numbers that matter, and what everyone's really interested in.

Even though I've had limited experience with studying Economics and working with small businesses, I haven't seen any firms care more about raw numbers.

Nevermind that 3G isn't close to finished selling. It's probably going to pass 2 million.

If people are talking about current sales being more impressive than past sales, why would I focus on future sales?

Truth101

Banned
Examples, please.

Even though I've had limited experience with studying Economics and working with small businesses, I haven't seen any firms care more about raw numbers.

If people are talking about current sales being more impressive than past sales, why would I focus on future sales?

linecomparegamejp.php

Not more impressive?

jgmo870

Banned
Not what I said or asked.

Keep fighting your loosing battle, without having any idea what you are talking about.

Hahaha.

Is the conversation really that hard to keep up with? Somebody said, "It's already way past the Wii version in Japan." News flash: it's not. That's what the discussion has been about. I don't care about it being more impressive or not, I care about the phrase "way past".

And if you think that people (especially economists and business owners) care more about raw numbers, that's hilarious.

leroidys

You guys think it could be another from game, or clone? Sony has been up front about admitting they fucked up with the souls license.

You guys think it could be another from game, or clone? Sony has been up front about admitting they fucked up with the souls license.

They still own the Souls IP no matter and I'm sure they'll explore that IP in the near future, but I think this is indeed a Monster Hunter clone. I mean, the four players vs a monster gives it away.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We sometimes do allow ads to be posted, but we'll review it and post ourselves (we being the mods) if it is ruled that it is solely an advertisement.

duckroll

At this rate, we might not need to. I expect that if it's advertising to get people to sign up to watch the conference next month, they'll have the site and news up by tomorrow. Right now there isn't even a single scan or photo of the actual material from Famitsu. :p

areal

Some details of the advertisement here.

The first page shows four characters fighting a giant three headed beast. This page has those key words that we mentioned earlier -- story of magicians, evolved combat, and real fantasy shown in high spec.

The second page shows a number of illustrations of demons and monsters, presumably your enemies. Text on this page reads, "Are you ready?"

Another image shows a hooded character with his open hand extended out to you. His hand has some sort of red zipper-like mark on it.

Other text in the ad indicates that the game is an action title that will shake your soul.

The announcement event is being held by Sony Computer Entertainment, causing some speculation that the new game may be a first party title. The ad does not specifically state this, although it's worth noting that SCEI is also in the ad's copyright.

Top Bottom