• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita x Inafune) - Conference impressions and videos added to OP

Fess up, father brain!

To what, though? The shorter (single-player?) video does look pretty smooth, but the longer multiplayer video looked to be dropping below 30fps more often than not. It's still six months or so from release, though, so I'm not claiming that's what the final product will look like.

expel

Alright, I think this is how it goes, but don't all rip on me if I'm a little wrong. When an enemy, or an ally, is slain, if you move close to the body, your two palms rise up. One is "rescue" (救済), the other is "sacrifice" (犠牲). For regular enemies, and maybe for allies too, it just takes one player to decide. For the main boss, all players vote, but I'm not sure if they're doing it for their own result, or for a joint result.

The other thing to mention, when a monster, or an ally, is down/hurt, you'll see red text showing up saying stuff like "I want to be with my family" or "I don't want to die". Stuff that's supposed to tug on those heart strings and show that they were once real people, but have somehow gone astray.

it's a joint result...famitsu also asked about it in the interview, what would happen if the vote is 1 rescue 2 sacrifice(talking about the multiplayer demo where one player died, so only 3 players has the right to choose)? inafune said there is a system for that, and it's still a secret, he teases by saying in that case maybe the 2 players who choose sacrifice would receive compensation while the other one wouldn't

what i got from that multiplayer demo is that the boss(cerberus) was once human...and those floating red texts at the end of the demo saying i want to be with my family and stuffs are from that boss, so it makes you player feel pity for the boss, so u can vote for kyuusai/救済/rescue instead of sacrificing him :p

duckroll

Okay I'm going to add the following to the OP.

------

Official Site (English): http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/soulsacrifice/en/

Impressions from Jonnyram:

They didn't specify either way but it seems mission-based, like MH. If you die in a battle, and are sacrificed to do your mental attacks, you don't get anything for beating the boss. Only the surviving players get stuff. So it was mentioned that players could tell their mates to sacrifice them and be the hero so the others can win.

They showed a load of attack types. If you use stones, you can make a stone wall shield and carry it around to protect players, or you can surround yourself in a big round boulder and roll around the stage. Wood can be made into a light attack sword. You can attack with your blood (like shot attacks). There were fire and lightning attacks though they didn't show what resources were needed. The whole game moves at a brisk pace — you can dart around quickly.

Oh and it seems Mitsuda is doing way more than one track. The two composers seem to be handling half each. The song of Mitsuda's they played was from the beginning when you first find the book. It had female vocals and was full of depression with a tinge of hope. The idea of the story seems to give the prisoner hope.

Alright, I think this is how it goes, but don't all rip on me if I'm a little wrong. When an enemy, or an ally, is slain, if you move close to the body, your two palms rise up. One is "rescue" (救済), the other is "sacrifice" (犠牲). For regular enemies, and maybe for allies too, it just takes one player to decide. For the main boss, all players vote, but I'm not sure if they're doing it for their own result, or for a joint result.

The other thing to mention, when a monster, or an ally, is down/hurt, you'll see red text showing up saying stuff like "I want to be with my family" or "I don't want to die". Stuff that's supposed to tug on those heart strings and show that they were once real people, but have somehow gone astray.

First official trailer:

Cam gameplay videos from the event:

EYWKZ.gif

Gameplay looks very promising, animation is great, gore is as cartoony as I hoped.

I'm now comfortable saying I'm all in for this project. Can't wait for more info.

Yjynx

Hmm seeing that the site is in full english I guess localization is confirmed - I just hope that the waiting gap isn't too long.

I don't know what the heck is happening in most of that video but it looks nice
Great animation, and looks like a pretty complex combat system

Hopefully we'll see some direct feed stuff soon

ReaperXL7

i'd be really curious as to what the japanese press, and gamers thought of the gameplay demo. Seems like there might be alot of impressions out there right now, but I don't understand any of it.

Really hoping we see more of this at E3, it looks so good. I'm wondering what sacrifice the giant fist weapon came from, wondering alot of things about the game actually. Early opinion though is that i'm pretty hyped.

Infrastructure online MH like gameplay on my Vita? Day fucking 1.

The game plays a lot closer to MonHun than I would have thought after the reveal. It looks a little faster, but the monster had similar charging attacks and the weapons at your disposal had some similarities as well. There was the big sword, the fast sword and something that resembled a hammer. Plus all those magic attacks. This game could be really deep.

Yeah that thought struck me too after I posted. That sort of an implementation would be okay I guess though it would hurt the impact of such a moment. It's not really a sacrifice if the player is already out of the battle. There's no real balance of risk and reward here.

Well at the very least it'll give KO'd players something to do while the battle goes on, which I guess is good design in that respect. But still, having a player make a significant contribution to the outcome and having that player completely unrewarded isn't exactly the pinnacle of good game design.

I think it sounds like a great game mechanic IMO. It's something I would have loved in MonHun for example. If you have a shitty player that's contributing nothing and he gets killed the whole team is penalized in MonHun. Having the option to sacrifice him instead of letting him respawn (where he can get killed again) would be welcomed. If the player is good and say died protecting the team, you can revive him so he can continue to help. I really like the sound of that.

It'll also curb griefers and other nuisances since they'll get nothing if you sacrifice them. Of course the team could sacrifice you even if you've been helpful so it's an incentive to avoid dying.

tusken77

Oh my. Since the screenshots and art, I've been waiting to see this properly in motion. Well...it had me within seconds of watching. Extremely dark tone, epic action and will look completely glorious on the Vita's screen. Hurry up, E3!

Luigiv

Well the combat definitely looks good. Can't wait to see it direct feed without some guys head blocking half the screen.

I'm curious though, where's the health bars? How do players figure out how close to death they are? Is it related to the on screen blood splatter you see with every hit?

As for my stance on the player sacrifice thing, my stance moves from "sounds terrible" to "I don't know what to think". At the very least it doesn't look like it'll inhibit players from using the big spells like I was originally worrying about but now it looks like a great way to destroy friendships. Good thing I probably won't be playing with RL friends then.

I think it sounds like a great game mechanic IMO. It's something I would have loved in MonHun for example. If you have a shitty player that's contributing nothing and he gets killed the whole team is penalized in MonHun. Having the option to sacrifice him instead of letting him respawn (where he can get killed again) would be welcomed. If the player is good and say died protecting the team, you can revive him so he can continue to help. I really like the sound of that.

It'll also curb griefers and other nuisances since they'll get nothing if you sacrifice them. Of course the team could sacrifice you even if you've been helpful so it's an incentive to avoid dying.

That's completely missing the point of what makes MH's co-op so great. Everyone gets equally rewarded, regardless of performance, so it's of very little consequence if one player isn't quite up to snuff. Sure the system's not perfect and a really bad player could singlehandedly end the entire mission for everyone, but lets be honest, once you get past the 1* quests this kind of situation barely happens. As such this "no dramas" type of implementations fosters a community of players who try to help each other get better. High Hunter rank players will often go into low rank cities to help noobs.

On the other hand this game's "winner takes all" situation is just asking to foster a hostile and elitist community. I'm not sold on it yet.

theBishop

Banned
To what, though? The shorter (single-player?) video does look pretty smooth, but the longer multiplayer video looked to be dropping below 30fps more often than not. It's still six months or so from release, though, so I'm not claiming that's what the final product will look like.

reading this post makes it sound like you didn't judge the framerate on less than 5 seconds of footage.

Fezan

ok this is how you do it sony exclusive first class stuff for vita.just hope there is more direct feed footage.because the animation looks a lot better than some high budget games.

Also how is the reception in japan ?

Kyoufu

Well the combat definitely looks good. Can't wait to see it direct feed without some guys head blocking half the screen.

I'm curious though, where's the health bars? How do players figure out how close to death they are? Is it related to the on screen blood splatter you see with every hit?

As for my stance on the player sacrifice thing, my stance moves from "sounds terrible" to "I don't know what to think". At the very least it doesn't look like it'll inhibit players from using the big spells like I was originally worrying about but now it looks like a great way to destroy friendships. Good thing I probably won't be playing with RL friends then.

I don't think everybody is as selfish as you think. Part of the MH experience is helping others achieve their goals.

Don't see how it would be any different here.

Ridley327

I don't think everybody is as selfish as you think. Part of the MH experience is helping others achieve their goals.

To be fair, you're not giving very many opportunities where you can actually grief players in MH. The worst it gets is managing to launch someone with a Great Sword upswing.

prwxv3

I think they mentioned that the way you play also changes your character beyond the first customization. So I guess if you act selfless you change in a different way then if you are a dick to everyone.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, this is shaping up to be something special. It's definitely surpassed Gravity Rush as my most desired Vita title. Expectations are high!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God damn this game looks good. I'm glad to see they're embracing full online as well. It's about time.

ReaperXL7

Awesome example of using enviromental objects as a sacrifice as that looks like a tree branch being transformed into a sword (or maybe a whip?). I'm curious how many types of items there will be that can be used like this, I'm thinking the body sacrifices will be last resort types of spells that can really do some major damage but there will be a big risk in using them.

An example would be the Spine rip sword. You use it, you gain the sword, but then you only have a set amount of time that you are able to use it before your body goes to mush and you die. Really hope this will be at E3, and we don't have to wait until TGS for more information.

Verelios

After Gravity Daze, P4G, and then this, I honestly don't know how anyone could not get a Vita.

Did you see that!? Did you guys see that!? A freakin' boulder as a shield, and then high speed movement? Fuck me, give it to me. Vita is console of 2013 confirmed.

As someone who doesn't have any desire or interest in Monster Hunter, THIS game looks amazing! This is exactly the type of game that Vita needs. Damn it looks good.

Top Bottom