• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita x Inafune) - Conference impressions and videos added to OP

Filth

I want gameplay vids :|.

I'm hoping for more monster huntish rather then devil may cry gameplay. Anyone agree?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
When a player dies, the remaining players vote whether to sacrifice him or not. Will be a really fun mechanic.

darkwing

http://www.4gamer.net/games/153/G015376/20120510051/

001-1.jpg

004.jpg

Visual style looks very nice...if it gameplay genuinely resembles that, then it is definitely amongst the best looking Vita game for me

Jonnyram

They didn't specify either way but it seems mission-based, like MH. If you die in a battle, and are sacrificed to do your mental attacks, you don't get anything for beating the boss. Only the surviving players get stuff. So it was mentioned that players could tell their mates to sacrifice them and be the hero so the others can win.

They showed a load of attack types. If you use stones, you can make a stone wall shield and carry it around to protect players, or you can surround yourself in a big round boulder and roll around the stage. Wood can be made into a light attack sword. You can attack with your blood (like shot attacks). There were fire and lightning attacks though they didn't show what resources were needed. The whole game moves at a brisk pace — you can dart around quickly.

Oh and it seems Mitsuda is doing way more than one track. The two composers seem to be handling half each. The song of Mitsuda's they played was from the beginning when you first find the book. It had female vocals and was full of depression with a tinge of hope. The idea of the story seems to give the prisoner hope.

Luigiv

They didn't specify either way but it seems mission-based, like MH. If you die in a battle, and are sacrificed to do your mental attacks, you don't get anything for beating the boss. Only the surviving players get stuff. So it was mentioned that players could tell their mates to sacrifice them and be the hero so the others can win.

They showed a load of attack types. If you use stones, you can make a stone wall shield and carry it around to protect players, or you can surround yourself in a big round boulder and roll around the stage. Wood can be made into a light attack sword. You can attack with your blood (like shot attacks). There were fire and lightning attacks though they didn't show what resources were needed. The whole game moves at a brisk pace — you can dart around quickly.

Oh and it seems Mitsuda is doing way more than one track. The two composers seem to be handling half each. The song of Mitsuda's they played was from the beginning when you first find the book. It had female vocals and was full of depression with a tinge of hope. The idea of the story seems to give the prisoner hope.

Well that's just stupid. No ones ever going to sacrifice themselves, then. Why the hell would anyone pass up rewards to be a "hero" in a bloody videogame? Altruism has it's limits.

This dampens my hype a lot because it just makes it sound like the team doesn't understand good design. I'm not writing it off just yet (that would be silly) but my perspective has shift from "optimistic" to "cautiously optimistic" now.

Well that's just stupid. No ones ever going to sacrifice themselves, then. Why the hell would anyone pass up rewards to be a hero in a bloody videogame? Altruism has it's limits.

This dampens my hype a lot because it just makes it sound like the team doesn't understand good design. I'm not writing it off just yet (that would be silly) but my perspective has shift from "optimistic" to "cautiously optimistic" now.

Maybe when you sacrifice you get to control a big ass monster though....that would certainly make me want to do it

zoukka

Well that's just stupid. No ones ever going to sacrifice themselves, then. Why the hell would anyone pass up rewards to be a hero in a bloody videogame? Altruism has it's limits.

Yes gamers are selfish brats.
No that doesn't mean devs aren't allowed to innovate and experiment.

Well that's just stupid. No ones ever going to sacrifice themselves, then. Why the hell would anyone pass up rewards to be a "hero" in a bloody videogame? Altruism has it's limits.

Stupid maybe if you play with internet random guys - completly different when it comes to playing with friends.

teepo

you're assuming that it'll be required to have a teammate sacrifice him or herself so a team of players can progress. if anything, it's an interesting mechanic which could be quite fun when played in a room filled with friends via ad-hoc.

lets not be too quick to pass judgments since we know very little as of now.

That's a sweet trailer. Really looking forward to this game.

Japan's uninterrupted tradition of terrible and out of place logo's continues, though.

I think the sacrifice idea could lead to some really funny 'water cooler' stories as it were. I remember back when Left 4 Dead first came out, it used to be a blast telling tales about how you stayed back to hold off the mobs of zombies so you could let all three of your teammates come out of it alive.

If you're online playing with friends, I can picture that being really quirky and fun. If you're actually in a room with friends? Even better. Plus Vita allows for voice chat across games too.

I'm really starting to get hyped for this now.

Wow, I don't know what t say. The concept art looks really amazing, yet grotesque. I think the game should be really interesting. Serious question....if this game is about sacrifice and self mutilation, I wonder what happens when you run out of organs or body parts? For example, if you sacrifice your spine or eyeball, does the game limit the amount of times you can use specific body parts? Guess we will see soon enough. I am still surprised something like this came from Japan. I thought they were not so keen on blood and gore unless they are targeting the West with this one primarily.

Luigiv

Yes gamers are selfish brats.
No that doesn't mean devs aren't allowed to innovate and experiment.

A right to innovate and experiment isn't a free pass to avoid criticism for/questioning of seemingly bad ideas just because they're "innovative".

Well anyway, I'll wait to see how it actually plays out in action. There's still too much I don't know about the games structure and implementation of this sacrifice system for me to say exactly how much of a bad idea this really is but for now it sounds great way to make an interesting mechanic completely pointless.

A right to innovate and experiment isn't a free pass to avoid criticism for bad ideas just because they're "innovative".

Well anyway, I'll wait to see how it actually plays out in action. There's still too much I don't know about the games structure and implementation of this sacrifice system for me to say exactly how much of a bad idea this really is but for now it sounds great way to make an interesting mechanic completely pointless.

Remember that if the player dies the remaining players can decide if they want to sacrifice that player or not, it's not just about someone being a hero.

Berksy

I like what I see so far. Me and 3 friends just bought Vita so this may be the co-op game we are waiting for. Hope English version won't make us wait long.

Endo Punk

So this is a collaboration project? And that gameplay(sorta) trailer was pretty sweet. I am tempted to get a Vita now for this and Gravity Daze. Just need one more title.

E3 is going to be great.

So this is a collaboration project? And that gameplay(sorta) trailer was pretty sweet. I am tempted to get a Vita now for this and Gravity Daze. Just need one more title.

E3 is going to be great.

Same. I'm going to wait until after E3 is over to see what the Vita's future will be like, then I'll most likely make a purchase on or around Black Friday.

Endo Punk

Inafune is actually delivering the goods instead of crying about the Japanese Industry again. Good to see him back on an intriguing title.

I just wish they would control the jaggies on these vita games....everything else looks nice (minus the texture filtering here) but the jaggies show no reduction from psp games...Uncharted definitely was worse off for it

I just wish they would control the jaggies on these vita games....everything else looks nice (minus the texture filtering here) but the jaggies show no reduction from psp games...Uncharted definitely was worse off for it

There's only so much processing power than can be put inside such a small form factor.

Still if you compare it to PSP games like MH or GEB it is huge step forward.

shink

If it looked exactly like the art work I wouldn't go near this at all, however the screenshots look excellent.

If Sony can keep a steady stream of games like this coming out within the next year, I'd be pretty happy.

This, LBP, Disgaea 3 are almost tempting me to buy a Vita.

Top Bottom